Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ManoliIsFat posted:

My bff uses LSDJ and loves it. Trackers are really easy to pick up if you've made electronic music before, so don't let that scare you. My boy (w.m.x) had only previously made tracks in fruity loops, learned renoise in like 4 hours, and was banging out beats on his gameboy in a couple days. I've never use nanoloop, so I can't help you there, but LSDJ is a tiny beast, especially if you have a way to flash samples to a cart.
I'm waiting for my cart, but I can't wait to rock this. I've only heard good things.

Interesting, thanks man. I guess I'll have to give LSDJ a download and try it out in an emulator before I make a decision. Trackers have always seemed so intimidating, but maybe it's time I gave them a proper shot. It'd be rocking if I could sync up my Gameboy and EMX. Your friend's music is rad, by the way. I dig Massif a lot.

quote:

Your in NYC, right? We'll have to jam some time.
I am, and I'd love to jam, but sadly I'm only here for a few more days. I need to head back to Boston for my final year of school and the dreaded LSATs this weekend. Ugh. And I don't even know if I want to go to Law School.

Vanmani posted:

I can't really help you I'm afraid, but can I ask what the 8 bit refills were, and if they're free? I've been wanting some decent ones.

The 8 Bit Magic refills. They were probably free, since I own very few commercial refills, but I downloaded them so long ago I have no idea where to find them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.
I never, ever layer kick drums. I don't like the way it sounds at all. Plus I know for a fact that alot of my idols (MSTRKRFT and Daft Punk come to mind) don't layer kick drums on principle alone. MSTRKRFT has GIANT kicks and has openly stated there is never more than one kick in a song, it's all about processing and mixing.

If you listen to a couple of my songs I think you can tell I get kicks that are pretty loving heavy as it is. Why fix it if it's not broken? Why spend that hour or two layering a kick drum when I can get the sound I want simply from a good mix? I don't know, that's my take on it. Yours can be different.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

I Dig Gardening posted:

I never, ever layer kick drums. I don't like the way it sounds at all. Plus I know for a fact that alot of my idols (MSTRKRFT and Daft Punk come to mind) don't layer kick drums on principle alone. MSTRKRFT has GIANT kicks and has openly stated there is never more than one kick in a song, it's all about processing and mixing.

If you listen to a couple of my songs I think you can tell I get kicks that are pretty loving heavy as it is. Why fix it if it's not broken? Why spend that hour or two layering a kick drum when I can get the sound I want simply from a good mix? I don't know, that's my take on it. Yours can be different.

So what do you do to them? I started the 3 layered kick method caus my stock 808 and 909 samples sounded too small. I've used single kicks from VEC Essential Club samples to better effect though. I guess the original sample quality is the most important thing

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

Terrible Horse posted:

So what do you do to them? I started the 3 layered kick method caus my stock 808 and 909 samples sounded too small. I've used single kicks from VEC Essential Club samples to better effect though. I guess the original sample quality is the most important thing

I don't do anything to my kicks. No compressor, nothing. The occasional REALLY LIGHT EQing.. but that's it. Yeah, the sample of the original kick matters alot. I don't like VEC sounds at all, I have my own stuff I use. But it comes down the quality of your mixes. If you mix it right, it should sound huge.

I don't use compressors on any channel except for the master. I also always have my kicks set to -10db, believe it or not. The volume of the rest of the tracks I judge by both my ear and in comparison to how they sound next to the -10db kick.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What sample library do you use, then?

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

stun runner posted:

What sample library do you use, then?

It really doesn't matter.. I could use VEC it's just a personal preference. If I made trance I'd be all over VEC, but it just doesn't fit my style of music I think. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have a special magic box of ridiculous kicks or any crazy tricks I'm trying to hide, I have the same poo poo as everyone else. I just trust my ear and KEEP IT SIMPLE!

breaks
May 12, 2001

You have a fair point about mixing well and all, but I think it is wrong to say you never need to layer or process and then turn around and say you've gotten drum samples from somewhere and finding a big sounding sample is important. Well ok, someone else has layered or processed for you, that doesn't mean it never happened.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

breaks posted:

You have a fair point about mixing well and all, but I think it is wrong to say you never need to layer or process and then turn around and say you've gotten drum samples from somewhere and finding a big sounding sample is important. Well ok, someone else has layered or processed for you, that doesn't mean it never happened.

Daft Punk makes their kicks by using a 303/808/909 through a 100$ compressor. And they probably have the best loving kicks in the industry.

And I don't believe any of my samples have layers on them. An occasional sub-osc set to tonic, but no layers.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I Dig Gardening posted:

I don't do anything to my kicks. No compressor, nothing. The occasional REALLY LIGHT EQing.. but that's it. Yeah, the sample of the original kick matters alot. I don't like VEC sounds at all, I have my own stuff I use. But it comes down the quality of your mixes. If you mix it right, it should sound huge.

I don't use compressors on any channel except for the master. I also always have my kicks set to -10db, believe it or not. The volume of the rest of the tracks I judge by both my ear and in comparison to how they sound next to the -10db kick.

lol where do you think your kicks come from? magic? the sample bunny?

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

oredun posted:

lol where do you think your kicks come from? magic? the sample bunny?

I don't use sample sets if that's what you're trying to imply. And read my above post about Daft Punk. You can get huge kicks without layering if you know what you're doing.

I'm not trying to say my method is better, the best, or the only way to do it. It's just what has worked for me and what I think sounds good. So no need to be sarcastic, I'm just trying to offer my point of reference.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I Dig Gardening posted:

Daft Punk makes their kicks by using a 303/808/909 through a 100$ compressor. And they probably have the best loving kicks in the industry.

And I don't believe any of my samples have layers on them. An occasional sub-osc set to tonic, but no layers.

I wasn't trying to say you can't make a decent kick with an 808 and a compressor and an EQ or whatever. Certainly many people have and and many people will again.

I can't really comment further about your samples without having heard them. I just think that in general it's kind of silly to say that you don't have to do much to drums you've taken from a sample CD (I can only assume since you have given no other information except making a comparison to the vengeance stuff), since the point of such a product is that you have some nice sounds already prepared for you. I'm not trying to rag on your methods or whatever, all I mean is that "find a sample" could be the answer to any "how do you make sound X" question, but it doesn't tell you much about how to actually make sound X.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

tylertfb posted:

I typically use a 3 layered kick drum in my songs I create in reason. One layer for the sharp attack, one layer for the 'crunch', and one layer with a long decay, low attack, deep sub-bass sond (usually an 808 kick). I will take the CV out from channel 1 of Re:Drum #1 (or whatever I'm using to program the kick pattern in the song...but it's usually re:drum#1) and run it into a Spider CV splitter/merger and split that signal into 3, and then run each of those three cv signals into a second Re:Drum that contains the 3 kick layer samples. Another way you can do it is making a multi-sample patch using either of the samplers.

What do you mean by taking the CV out of channel one in Redrum? I'm looking at the back of the machine and the only things I see are audio outputs, gate out/in, and pitch CV in, plus one rotary control... I don't know what that does. Do you mean Gate out, maybe?

Also, would Vengeance Essential Clubsounds provide all the samples I need? That's the only sample library I've got so far, and the only samples I have, pretty much. I could go into Audacity or something and grab samples from my songs, I guess.

Anyway, my style of music has been moving into a more jackin, fidgety style of house. I'm not bad at the bass, chords, any of that (besides vocal sampling but I'll tackle that some other time), but how do I make the drums bounce? People like Sinden, Joey Youngman, and Bryan Jones make it sound sooo easy, but even if I copy one of their drum patterns note for note it STILL doesn't bounce. Is it the drum sounds? What kind of samples or layering techniques should I look at?

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 14, 2008

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Altoidss posted:

What do you mean by taking the CV out of channel one in Redrum? I'm looking at the back of the machine and the only things I see are audio outputs, gate out/in, and pitch CV in, plus one rotary control... I don't know what that does. Do you mean Gate out, maybe?

yeah I mean't Gate out. oops.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

tylertfb posted:

yeah I mean't Gate out. oops.

Oh, brilliant, that worked perfectly! Thanks! I gotta mess around with this for a while.

Anyone have any advice for me about jackin up my drums? Drums are definitely one of the biggest areas I need to work on.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 14, 2008

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

wayfinder posted:

You should really give it another try, it helped my kicks tremendously. Maybe try and slice the punch from one kickdrum together with the tail from another in a wave editor. Or i dunno. What I did was set up a dedicated project file for layering kicks and just pull every stop I could. Non-realtime compression, checking against signal analysis, waveform surgery like filtering single peaks, etc. Spending an hour or two on a single kick sounds like a really stupid idea but once you do it and it works, it's gonna pay off.

Thats only good for making kicks like alphazones where you want massive clips or sudden changes in the period of the wave. The trouble is I really don't like those types of kick drums and trying to get a smooth transition from attack to decay phase of the drum boils down to trial and error and just getting lucky with sample selection in my humble experience. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I hate it when I have to resort to trial and error.

I think I just find designing drums with a synthesizer more intuitive. Then I reshape it as necessary with distortion/amplitude modulation/compression or whatever.

I find micing a kick drum intuitive too since you move the mic around to get different sounds tape objects to the where the beater makes contact with the drum to get a different sort of tone or more or less click. Afterwards you can still distort/compress it or run it through an amp modulator and you aren't making any drastic and sudden changes to the period of the waveform.

I find very subtle layering can work great. But designing composite single shots out of different readymade kickdrums is really hit and miss - even if you know roughly what you are doing and what you want to achieve.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Nah man, layering isn't so restrictive. Alphazone kicks are something I try to stay away from.. Sean Tyas usually gets them right. There's nothing in the method that would prevent you from from making smoother drums, like Breakfast style.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
I'm looking for the best donk putting program out there, is there any program specifically that will allow me more control over my donks?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

There's a Donk vst out there that you just let run over your tracks and makes you a superstar. Some of the heads think its cheating, but it's just using the tools at your disposal IMHO.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

ManoliIsFat posted:

There's a Donk vst out there that you just let run over your tracks and makes you a superstar. Some of the heads think its cheating, but it's just using the tools at your disposal IMHO.

is that the one shitmatt made? if so, i love him forever.

The Infinite Postma
Aug 30, 2005
like a lottery winner on acid
Word on the street is that Reason 5 will include a brand new module called ReDonk, which includes donks ranging from 'sick' to 'bangin.'

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

is that the one shitmatt made? if so, i love him forever.
He made an Ableton set for it, but I can't remember what his name was on myspace. 3363 posted it in the hd thread.

I was just making a bad dblue glitch joke.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

modernlifeisadam posted:

What's your guys' opinion on the Addictive Drums VST? Does anyone here use it with any sort of frequency?

Nobody replied to this, but theyre absolutley incredible. At making real kits.

For electronic stuff, get NI's battery - it's really quite good.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Man, am I glad I found this thread. While I'm stuck out here in the Middle East, I'm in the process of figuring out the two things I have: Reaper and the DS-10 I got a couple of days ago.

The links to Synth Secrets and the articles on beatportal are really useful for figuring out what's going on in the DS-10 and the Synth1 VST I got for Reaper, but does anyone know if there's a non-moon-language manual for the DS-10 so I can understand exactly what everything is supposed to do? Right now, the patch panel is a complete mystery to me.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Lynx Winters posted:

Man, am I glad I found this thread. While I'm stuck out here in the Middle East, I'm in the process of figuring out the two things I have: Reaper and the DS-10 I got a couple of days ago.

The links to Synth Secrets and the articles on beatportal are really useful for figuring out what's going on in the DS-10 and the Synth1 VST I got for Reaper, but does anyone know if there's a non-moon-language manual for the DS-10 so I can understand exactly what everything is supposed to do? Right now, the patch panel is a complete mystery to me.

Here's a copy of the owner's manual for the MS-10 synth which the DS-10 was based on. There's some useful information on this page as well:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pit/1208/

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Fuckit I may as well field my queries here since I don't really know anyone personally who I can talk to about this sorta stuff.

I'm ridiculously new to production and mixing but I wanna get into it.

I have a Reason 4 training DVD that I've nearly finished watching
So I feel pretty comfortable with Reason 4 at the moment.

But I've read a few things about Cubase being a better choice for sequencing and what-not. I should be able to give it a go over the next few days and hopefully find some training material for it too once I finish the Reason stuff. Is this a good idea and worth my time?

I'd also like to do a little playing with Ableton Live as well for live stuff.

All this leading up to early next year when hopefully I'll be able to afford some CDJ's and a mixer but by then I want to know all this other stuff =]

Also, any opinions on this:

Behringer BCF2000 B-Control Fader
and this
M-Audio Axiom 25 25-Key USB MIDI Controller

Any other advice and reccomendations? :) Thanks! Hopefully I can finish off reading this giant mass of information soon :p

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Anyone here use ultrabeat? I'm just getting into making beats and it seems pretty powerful/intuitive as a computerized drum machine. Should I look for something else?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ShaunEMO posted:

Is this a good idea and worth my time?

Not really. Get good at reason first. Like, really good.

It's not like you can only make music and sequence well with cubase, it may have some better features but that by no means makes reason obsolete. At the level youre at too you probably wont even notice the difference, it's just more to learn.

Plus cubase is more of a studio recording package than pure electronic music, which reason excells at.
Ableton just sort of does it's own thing.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

A MIRACLE posted:

Anyone here use ultrabeat? I'm just getting into making beats and it seems pretty powerful/intuitive as a computerized drum machine. Should I look for something else?

Honestly, no. Ultrabeat is a really great program within Logic. I also use Battery 3 and various drum machines in Ableton but really Ultrabeat can do anything Battery or Live can do plus it comes with a built in step sequencer which is handy.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ShaunEMO posted:

But I've read a few things about Cubase being a better choice for sequencing and what-not.
It basically does one big thing Reason doesn't - audio tracks (yes, I know about the Apogee dithering and the Media bay and the surround poo poo but honestly, who uses this).

quote:

I'd also like to do a little playing with Ableton Live as well for live stuff.
Unlike Cubase this has a pretty functional demo so go ahead and try it.

Get the 49-key version, it has sliders. Yes, the faders are motorized, but it's a bit of overkill if you combine it with the Axiom - unless you were looking for an audio interface anyway.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yoozer posted:

Unlike Cubase this has a pretty functional demo so go ahead and try it.

It's actually got a full-featured 14-day trial, including saving and exporting.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ShaunEMO posted:

Also, any opinions on this:

Behringer BCF2000 B-Control Fader
and this
M-Audio Axiom 25 25-Key USB MIDI Controller

Any other advice and reccomendations? :) Thanks! Hopefully I can finish off reading this giant mass of information soon :p

Another one you might want to look at that I don't see brought up often is the Edirol PCR-300

It's a 49 key controller with 8 sliders, 8 knobs, and a 16 button pad. I've got one and I like it a lot.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?objectid=863

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!
I want to connect my miniKorg to my computer to use it as a midi controller for Komplete. I need a cheap way to do this! I was looking around, and this seems like a good product. Will this work for what I need?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM1EX/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yes. So will http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XMIDI1x1/ which is cheaper, and if you ever plan on buying more synths there's a 2 in, 2 out version for not much more.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Yeah I would probably spend a few more bucks and get a 2x2 interface just in case down the road you want to add anything to your setup. I'd probably go with the MOTU Fast Lane personally but it really doesn't matter as much with MIDI interfaces. It's audio interfaces that you don't want to skimp on.

Actually I'm kinda surprised there's no USB MIDI on the MicroKorg. I mean yeah it is like six years old at this point but since it's still going strong you'd think they could've made a couple little updates to keep it in line with the times.

By the way, this is a MiniKorg. :v:

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!

Cyne posted:

Yeah I would probably spend a few more bucks and get a 2x2 interface just in case down the road you want to add anything to your setup. I'd probably go with the MOTU Fast Lane personally but it really doesn't matter as much with MIDI interfaces. It's audio interfaces that you don't want to skimp on.

Actually I'm kinda surprised there's no USB MIDI on the MicroKorg. I mean yeah it is like six years old at this point but since it's still going strong you'd think they could've made a couple little updates to keep it in line with the times.

By the way, this is a MiniKorg. :v:

oh yeah, thanks.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Vocal effect plugins?

I'm looking for something that would make anything coming from the microphone like it was recorded by BBC circa 1954, not the radio fuzz but the metallic tinny quality in the sound and the odd spatial echo it causes. Would anybody remember any plugin that would get even close to that, no matter what its original purpose is?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

The Wogosphere posted:

Vocal effect plugins?

I'm looking for something that would make anything coming from the microphone like it was recorded by BBC circa 1954, not the radio fuzz but the metallic tinny quality in the sound and the odd spatial echo it causes. Would anybody remember any plugin that would get even close to that, no matter what its original purpose is?

There's a Live effect called "Old time radio" that does the trick for me - although obviously no help if you don't use Live.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Wogosphere posted:

Vocal effect plugins?

Exactly what you're looking for.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Hey that looks pretty drat neat, wish there was a demo version to play around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fubarsapfu
Aug 4, 2004
What do you goons think of Cycling '74's Max 5 software? I just downloaded the demo and I'm finding the interface surprisingly intuitive, but still finding it hard to wrap my head around building my own synths/effects from scratch. Has anyone worked with this program, and if so...how'd it sound?

• Locked thread