Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Sounds like it probably switches the step on the MW band between going up/down in 9kHz steps and in 10kHz steps.
ding ding ding

also, I just happen to have dug out the manual for it, so if you can't find one online (look for Sangean ATS-800 if the Radio Shack model # doesn't turn anything up) and want it I'll scan it and post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone know if UVB-76 (aka "The Buzzer") has sent any messages out over the past few days of fighting in the Caucasus?

I'm sure if I tuned into it and heard a load of Russian babble I'd be excited and terrified in equal measures.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

biglads posted:

Anyone know if UVB-76 (aka "The Buzzer") has sent any messages out over the past few days of fighting in the Caucasus?

I'm sure if I tuned into it and heard a load of Russian babble I'd be excited and terrified in equal measures.

I haven't heard anything on the Spooks list about it, but if I hear anything I'll keep you posted.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

nmfree posted:

ding ding ding

also, I just happen to have dug out the manual for it, so if you can't find one online (look for Sangean ATS-800 if the Radio Shack model # doesn't turn anything up) and want it I'll scan it and post it.

Thanks to Tetsuo and nm for solving this mystery!

drat this ECB-938. I'd like to share with y'all the awesome Chinese station I'm picking up, but the tiny analog dial says it's anywhere between 5950 and 6100. Time is [checks Tycho] 0308z, I'm in Virginia, if anyone wants to take a stab at it. I checked out "Passport" from my local library on the advice of this thread, but it's the 2001 edition, so I have no idea how accurate it is. :(

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'd like to share with y'all the awesome Chinese station I'm picking up, but the tiny analog dial says it's anywhere between 5950 and 6100. Time is [checks Tycho] 0308z
Chinese as in it's in Chinese or from China?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It was in Chinese, no idea if it was originating from China.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

It was in Chinese, no idea if it was originating from China.
Well, if it were actually in Chinese it may have been CRI on 6020 out of Albania (of all places), otherwise v:shobon:v

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm struggling to get any SWL done right now. My wife is watching the olympics in the early hours and the Cable box spurts out so much RF interference I can't get anything.

drat you Olympics :arghfist:

I need my propaganda

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D
Just ordered my Sony ICF-SW7600GR and am eagerly awaiting its arrival in a few days.

I'm in Japan though - will that have an effect on which stations I pick up?

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

biglads posted:

RF interference

Faraday cage for the cable box? :tinfoil:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ddblue posted:

Just ordered my Sony ICF-SW7600GR and am eagerly awaiting its arrival in a few days.

I'm in Japan though - will that have an effect on which stations I pick up?

Hey fellow East Asia SWL buddy!

Yes, location naturally will change what you can pick up. Assuming you're not too far away, I'd figure you can probably get most of the same stuff I can down here in Taiwan, but I'm not too sure. If you want any tips, just ask in-thread and I'll be happy to do what I can. One advance piece of information - while you're rolling around the bands, you'll undoubtedly hear a lot of traditional Chinese music. That's China being fuckholes and jamming "undesirable" broadcasts.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

biglads posted:

I'm struggling to get any SWL done right now. My wife is watching the olympics in the early hours and the Cable box spurts out so much RF interference I can't get anything.
Does the cable box put out as much RFI if you unplug the cable and turn it on?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'll have a play with it tomorrow to find out.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Did someone already post this? :effort:

http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/2008/08/dos-and-donts-of-china-qsling.html

quote:

Do's and Don'ts of China QSLing

by Gayle Van Horn
With today's focus on following the Olympics from China via shortwave radio, time for a few tips for successful QSLing stations from China.

There are several elements in preparing a quality reception report, which begins with the date of reception. Spell the month out to avoid confusion, followed by the time of reception in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The frequency on which you logged the station is vital, expressed in either megahertz (MHz) or kilohertz (kHz). Don't forget to include any notation of parallel frequencies program was observed on.

Twenty minutes of programming is usually adequate unless you are monitoring a weak signal over a period of several days. Details should be specific as much as possible including program and announcer names. Station identifications and musical format is important, but a word-for-word transcription is not only not necessary, but will potentially waste the time of station personnel in charge of QSLing.

Don't forget to include reception signal quality observed while monitoring. However, don't attempt to make the station staff feel good by an over zealous rating than the signal quality deserves. Stations know when and where their frequencies are targeted. Remember though, your observations play a vital role in the station's future frequency planning.

Whether your initial QSLing is via China Radio International or China National Radio, both stations present quality programming and verify most correct reception reports within an adequate time of one-two months.

Remember too, if a Chinese regional or provincial station does not respond to your report within four-six months, resend your reception report to China Radio International. CRI has in the past verified regional and provincial stations. This is also an alternative to Chinese reporting, as CRI accepts English details for Chinese programming.

Always ask for the transmitter site regardless of the station. Usually CRI will include a personal handwritten note and extra station souvenir. Mint return postage or currency is not required when writing CRI, but should be considered when writing to the regional, provincial or CNR.

Kee[p] your letter upbeat and friendly. Questions relating to programming, culture or the station's future plans is advisable, while the on-going disputes over China's human-rights issues should be avoided.

Verifying China during the Olympics and future monitoring is an excellent opportunity to beginnng the verification game. Good luck and let me know your results.
(GVH QSL Report/Monitoring Times)

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Hi all, on saturday, gonna add another $2000 to the drain fund :) (that's aud)

My partner and I are about to get ourselves a IC-706MkIIG, a big powersupply (the icom radio can pull about 20 amps at full duty cycle), an LDG AT-7000 antenna tuner, and a few antennas.

All this from spending $150 on an old ft-707 a few months ago, I must be going crazy.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

cvisors posted:

Hi all, on saturday, gonna add another $2000 to the drain fund :) (that's aud)

My partner and I are about to get ourselves a IC-706MkIIG, a big powersupply (the icom radio can pull about 20 amps at full duty cycle), an LDG AT-7000 antenna tuner, and a few antennas.
I was going to say something about how that much money can buy you a much better shortwave reciever, but then I saw your post in the Amateur Radio thread and was reminded that you're hams, too. The 706 is a really nice radio and apparently has a pretty good receiver, so good choice.

cvisors posted:

All this from spending $150 on an old ft-707 a few months ago, I must be going crazy.
There's a few people in this thread who've gone from very cheap (<$50) portables to getting higher-end merchandise. It never really ends. ("Hm, I should really put up a better antenna to go with this new radio." "Well, as long as I'm getting that nice antenna, I might as well spend the money to upgrade my Radio Shack feedline to some LMR-400 or 7/8" hardline." And so on.)

edit: Also, some more unsolicited advice: get a power supply rated for at least 30A, because A) I don't believe that 20A transmit draw rating for a moment, most radios draw at least 25A at 100W, and B) you'll have some room to upgrade later if you want to add, say, a VHF/UHF mobile to the mix.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 12, 2008

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

nmfree posted:

edit: Also, some more unsolicited advice: get a power supply rated for at least 30A, because A) I don't believe that 20A transmit draw rating for a moment, most radios draw at least 25A at 100W, and B) you'll have some room to upgrade later if you want to add, say, a VHF/UHF mobile to the mix.

we're looking at one of the icom powersupplys that can give at least 30A, at 13.8 volts, it's the PS-300 which doesn't seem to be available in the states.

but just can't wait till the weekend, and to get myself licensed.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

How accurate is an old copy of Passport? In other words, how often do radio stations change bands?

Pretty sure I'm picking up Radio NHK, but as mentioned before, my radio is not easy to read. It's Japanese, 0421z Saturday, coming in somewhere just above 5950 on my inscrutable analog dial. Passport 2001 says this would fit NHK 5960. I've been listening for half an hour, but haven't heard a discernible station ID. (I suppose it doesn't help that I don't understand Japanese.)

Is there a good website that has charts like the ones in Passport?

(Aside to AstroZamboni: I'd been wondering where you were in this thread... then I found the "Tales from the Museum" thread. Shortwave, paleontology, and astronomy? You're a busy man. I doff my science geek hat to you, sir.)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

(Aside to AstroZamboni: I'd been wondering where you were in this thread... then I found the "Tales from the Museum" thread. Shortwave, paleontology, and astronomy? You're a busy man. I doff my science geek hat to you, sir.)

And folk musician who plays 13 instruments. Don't forget that one. Yeah, I'm pretty loving busy with nerdly pursuits.

Oh, and to whose considering Toxx clausing me on the payout for the 100th radio contest, I have just given Supreme Lord Jeremy Plat AND Archives.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pretty sure I'm picking up Radio NHK, but as mentioned before, my radio is not easy to read. It's Japanese, 0421z Saturday, coming in somewhere just above 5950 on my inscrutable analog dial. Passport 2001 says this would fit NHK 5960. I've been listening for half an hour, but haven't heard a discernible station ID. (I suppose it doesn't help that I don't understand Japanese.)
Yeah, that would be right going by Passport 08.

quote:

Is there a good website that has charts like the ones in Passport?
Not charts per se, but for English-language stuff, this is pretty good. For non-English stuff though, I don't know.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Regarding reception in Japan - on my vacation there a month ago I did, as TetsuoTW said, get a TON of traditional chinese music. It was pretty terrible for the most part, now it makes more sense that it was used for jamming. It would have been neat to pick up VOK, but I did not. I got VOA's propaganda for a while, which was a new station to me, but didn't succeed in getting the buzzer or any other clandestine transmissions. I was surprised though, I got WWV on 5000 and 10000.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

In case anyone has archives, THIS is the Number Station thread that persuaded me to get a forums account in the first place.

And here I am, still talking about SW radio.

I have no life. :smith:

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Well after much driving my partner and I are the proud owners, of an IC-706 MK II G (and a few other bits and pieces such as antenna tuner and a power supply.)

We mainly worked in the hambands, but while not contesting (there was a .au contest on this weekend) we looked for sw stations, such as radio NZ which we can pick up quite well, and WWV/H which comes through faint but understandable.

All in all, I think i'm an addict

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'm still trying to find a cheap radio to get in on this. I might just have to save up and fork over for one of those G6 radios.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I can get a fairly decent computer on the cheap and was wondering if there is a tuner or audio card I could set up to record off my shortwave radio. Would a computer monitor near my radio setup give me interference? Do they make the device I'm looking for?

Basically, I'm just wondering what's the easiest way to record from a shortwave radio to a computer. A direct connection between radio and computer would be nice, as I'd like to set up my radio in the shed. If I can have a cheap computer sitting nearby to record when I feel like it, then that'd be great. If I have to record onto tapes or some other device then transfer to a computer, that'd work too.

If it matters, I plan on buying an Eton E5/Grundig G5 radio.

edit: PCI slot shortwave radios are not what I'm looking for. Those are a bit pricey for me. I just want to be able to record whatever I pick up on my portable shortwave if I'm sitting in my shed.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 18, 2008

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

p-hop posted:

I can get a fairly decent computer on the cheap and was wondering if there is a tuner or audio card I could set up to record off my shortwave radio. Would a computer monitor near my radio setup give me interference? Do they make the device I'm looking for?

Basically, I'm just wondering what's the easiest way to record from a shortwave radio to a computer. A direct connection between radio and computer would be nice, as I'd like to set up my radio in the shed. If I can have a cheap computer sitting nearby to record when I feel like it, then that'd be great. If I have to record onto tapes or some other device then transfer to a computer, that'd work too.

If it matters, I plan on buying an Eton E5/Grundig G5 radio.

There's probably a soundcard in the computer already, so easiest is to use its line-in connected to a line-out from the radio, or failing that the headphone out (set to about 5-10% of full volume). You'll need a male-male 35mm stereo "mini-jack", which is what most consumer electronics store will call it. If in doubt, ask for a "walkman to soundcard" cable.

A computer monitor will most likely interfere with your signal, so keep your radio at least 3-4ft away.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Apologies if this has been answered, but the thread is huuuge. If I am picking up Radio Havana Cuba, is that actually being broadcast from Cuba or would they be able to broadcast from the states somewhere?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Underflow posted:

There's probably a soundcard in the computer already, so easiest is to use its line-in connected to a line-out from the radio, or failing that the headphone out (set to about 5-10% of full volume). You'll need a male-male 35mm stereo "mini-jack", which is what most consumer electronics store will call it. If in doubt, ask for a "walkman to soundcard" cable.

A computer monitor will most likely interfere with your signal, so keep your radio at least 3-4ft away.

I figured I might be able to make do with just a male-to-male headphone jack. I just don't actually have my hands on a radio yet, so I wanted to make sure they don't use some freaky non-standard jack size. I figure I could just set the computer up to record if it had a fairly large hard drive, then turn off the monitor and let it record till I was finished.

The setup I plan on making would involve setting my radio and computer up on a desk, with one of those spiderwebs of copper wire type antennas wrapped around the perimeter of the shed cieling. I'd be able to take the radio out camping to see if I get better reception, or if I'm staying at home I could connect it to the antenna. I really need to read up more on this, but that's my basic plan. Is that feasible? Assuming I get the radio for about $150, the computer setup for $50, and copper wiring for $20 max, that's not too shabby.

One last question, is there an attachable antenna for the E5/G5? I recall seeing one when this thread wasn't so many pages long, and I can't find any info on it. It was only available in Japan or something, so you had to buy it through ebay or amazon. Anyway, how well do those work (if I'm remembering them right and not just making this up) compared to the copper spiderweb type?

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Mike B posted:

Apologies if this has been answered, but the thread is huuuge. If I am picking up Radio Havana Cuba, is that actually being broadcast from Cuba or would they be able to broadcast from the states somewhere?

Being so close, I think it just comes in straight from Cuba. Stuff from China and elsewhere is sometimes relayed through a transmitter somewhere closer. That is why I can sometimes pick up China Radio International and it is so strong that it seems like it's coming from two states over, because it is.

Underflow posted:

Interesting. I tried this method a few months ago and just plugging the wires into the jacks created interference, even with the monitor off. After that I just went with putting a microphone next to the radio and it seemed to work reasonably well.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Illegal Clown posted:

Interesting. I tried this method a few months ago and just plugging the wires into the jacks created interference, even with the monitor off. After that I just went with putting a microphone next to the radio and it seemed to work reasonably well.

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to find the most economical way to record what my radio picks up. Maybe a computer is the wrong way to go...

As a general question, does height from the ground really have much effect on what you pick up? I could set my antenna up in my second floor bedroom instead of the shed if it'll improve my reception. I just kinda wanted to have my radio in the shed. It seems like the kind of shed that could use a radio in it.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

p-hop posted:

I figure I could just set the computer up to record if it had a fairly large hard drive, then turn off the monitor and let it record till I was finished.

That will work. You don't need that much drive space, even. The sound quality of SW radio broadcasts doesn't need a sampling rate higher than 22,050Hz (CD quality is twice that) for music, and only half of that for speech. And if you're recording in mono, that's another 50% less disk space needed.

Illegal Clown posted:

Was the soundcard's input set to 'mic' mode? Most boards have a (software) switch to allow powering a simple electret microphone (they usually just call it "mic boost"). You can untick the corresponding box in your mixer GUI. Or perhaps the cable was too close to some other source of interference.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I just picked up a Grundig G5 from the local Radioshack. With just the whip antenna I'm picking up languages in Spanish, Chinese, and German. I got a guy counting in Spanish, and creepy Victorian parlor music. And Islamic prayer.

THIS IS AWESOME

edit: also I am kind of ashamed that I spun the SSB knob like a DJ spinning a record. It was fun.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 19, 2008

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

p-hop posted:

also I am kind of ashamed that I spun the SSB knob like a DJ spinning a record. It was fun.

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only one

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Shnakepup posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only one

Make that three. :unsmith:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I think everybody does that. :hfive:

I really need to break out the radio later this week. I've been neglecting tuning in CRI during the Olympics, and could have enjoyed the South Ossetian war on sw international news. :smith:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

sklnd posted:

I think everybody does that. :hfive:

I really need to break out the radio later this week. I've been neglecting tuning in CRI during the Olympics, and could have enjoyed the South Ossetian war on sw international news. :smith:

The war is one of the reasons I finally gave in and bought a radio. I realized how much of the world I'm missing out on.

java
May 7, 2005

So I really enjoyed many of the previous Shortwave threads and picked up a Grundig G5 a while back. I'm not really using it much these days, and wanted to mention that I'm selling it in a thread over at SA-Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2926340

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Automaton Empire posted:

So I really enjoyed many of the previous Shortwave threads and picked up a Grundig G5 a while back. I'm not really using it much these days, and wanted to mention that I'm selling it in a thread over at SA-Mart.

Apologies if this is a stupid question: does the E5/G5 skip over big chunks of frequencies like my current radios, or can I dial in whatever I want? I read a few reviews, and this matter isn't brought up. It seems like all the number stations are in the mysterious "hidden" freq's my DX-370 refuses to bring up; I'd like something that gives me a full range.

What's the deal with skipping frequencies, anyways? Both of my radios do that. Do the manufacturers just figure "eh, who wants to listen to nautical signals and robot women counting in Spanish"?

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Apologies if this is a stupid question: does the E5/G5 skip over big chunks of frequencies like my current radios, or can I dial in whatever I want? I read a few reviews, and this matter isn't brought up. It seems like all the number stations are in the mysterious "hidden" freq's my DX-370 refuses to bring up; I'd like something that gives me a full range.

What's the deal with skipping frequencies, anyways? Both of my radios do that. Do the manufacturers just figure "eh, who wants to listen to nautical signals and robot women counting in Spanish"?

My G5 covers 150 to 30000 KHz at intervals of 1 KHz the whole way down (plus FM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Excellent, that's exactly what I was wondering (and what I'd been looking for) --- thanks!

• Locked thread