Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkenBobDole
Jul 20, 2005
Not Worthy Yet
I have what may be an impossible game to find as it may not exist anymore.

I've been messing around in https://www.cityempires.net after seeing it in a thread somewhere around here and it got me thinking about a similar browser based game I played maybe 8-10 years ago. It was a medieval theme where the main resource was land. Land could be found by sending your peasants out to discover some or by pillaging other players. From land you got gold, with gold you bought your armies. I remember them being of all kinds of typical fantasy fare, vampires, gargoyles, trolls and your plain old human foot soldiers and knights. Every player was ranked in a huge list based on the number of land they controlled. You could attack people up to 10 spots below you and anyone above. The only other thing I remember was that the entire website was brown.

If anyone can actually name the game from my wackass description I'll be all kinds of impressed, even more so if the website is still up. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

DrunkenBobDole posted:

I've been messing around in https://www.cityempires.net after seeing it in a thread somewhere around here and it got me thinking about a similar browser based game I played maybe 8-10 years ago. It was a medieval theme where the main resource was land. Land could be found by sending your peasants out to discover some or by pillaging other players. From land you got gold, with gold you bought your armies. I remember them being of all kinds of typical fantasy fare, vampires, gargoyles, trolls and your plain old human foot soldiers and knights. Every player was ranked in a huge list based on the number of land they controlled. You could attack people up to 10 spots below you and anyone above. The only other thing I remember was that the entire website was brown.

If anyone can actually name the game from my wackass description I'll be all kinds of impressed, even more so if the website is still up. :)

Hmm, this could be the old Archmage, where you played as an archmage and gathered troops and land and built crap and cast spells. There's apparently a new version at http://www.the-reincarnation.com/. That game was awesome.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

DrunkenBobDole posted:

Apart from the colour scheme, this sounds a lot like Utopia, though I've never played Archmage above.

You run your own barony in a kingdom along with a few other barons. Whoever gets the most votes for king of that kingdom is king. You have a few different races, and each race has it's own spell selection, and unique soldiers. There is also espionage.

DrunkenBobDole
Jul 20, 2005
Not Worthy Yet

brute_force posted:

Hmm, this could be the old Archmage, where you played as an archmage and gathered troops and land and built crap and cast spells. There's apparently a new version at http://www.the-reincarnation.com/. That game was awesome.

We have a winner! You sir, officially rock my world, that was amazing.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK, my turn...

What's the game where you have a bunch of heroes (knights, mages, etc) and they basically go around doing their own thing (eg. you can't control them) but you can build certain buildings and give them access to more spells, etc. I also think you can place bounties on certain objectives (eg. kill a rat spawning point?) which would cause the heroes to more likely consider completing it for you.

It's a pretty old game and I think it's on the underdogs site, etc...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds an awful lot like Majesty, Vinlaen.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

That sounds an awful lot like Majesty, Vinlaen.
You got it! Thanks!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I could not for the life of me remember the name of this game for the longest time. My friend and I played it so much when we were little on my NES. I think I actually discovered it in a thread like this.

I behold the sweetest game ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trog!

One game I will never forget the name of is General Chaos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_chaos

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ugh.

Ok, a strategy game, pretty recent, had giant God unit commander style things. In the previews one of them looked like an Armadillo made out of bricks. That is honestly all I can think of but it's bugging the crap out of me because it looked pretty good.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Checkit: Back in early 2000s there was this free MMO. It was pretty much the basic free japanese MMO, which is why this will be hard. It was 3D, from an isometric, Neverwinter Nights style camera, I remember there were guys with spikey anime hair, and you may have begun in a city built in the trees.

I remember lying about my age to play it, so I know it was early 2000s. I'm sure by now it's defunct, I just wanna see it again.

ALSO:

A more recent, completely Japanesely influenced MMO, also 3D, the name may have started with an S, and in the beginning you have to fight a lot of owls or geese, there was also power leveling, if you partied with a highlevel character, it grinded automatically, you got a fraction of their XP.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Maybe a few years back I saw a preview for a game maybe a few years down the road where you play a bug or a cockroach or an ant or SOMETHING and you just had to get through. And there was a dying rat with it's back broken in a trap and you had to sneak by it but it flipped out and started chomping at the character in pure dying spite, in the preview, and I was just wondering if the game ever got finished or how it did.

I have tried so many google permutations but found nothing although I did get distracted when I spilled my morning coffee. Maybe I missed one but I give up regardless.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Maybe a few years back I saw a preview for a game maybe a few years down the road where you play a bug or a cockroach or an ant or SOMETHING and you just had to get through. And there was a dying rat with it's back broken in a trap and you had to sneak by it but it flipped out and started chomping at the character in pure dying spite, in the preview, and I was just wondering if the game ever got finished or how it did.

I have tried so many google permutations but found nothing although I did get distracted when I spilled my morning coffee. Maybe I missed one but I give up regardless.

Bad Mojo comes to mind. I'ts an old game (1996), but apparantly it got a re-release in 2004.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2wI0pt1kk

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This game was kind of like worms but with planets and spaceships. You chose your weapon and chose the trajectory and fired.

Each player was situated on a planet and the larger the planet, the stronger the gravitational field. You also had shields you could configure and this game had a weapon editor.

I actually found this game for a while but I've since forgotten the name yet again.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
I heard someone mention an RTS where a friend could jump into one of the units and fight for you. So a Coop rts, i think it was WW2 setting? (not sure about that one)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Harlequinade is right, that is definitely Bad Mojo.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Thanks. I guess I saw the preview for the remake.

bleak
Sep 7, 2004

1 Man Fag Parade!
NES. Overhead view. Gameplay consists of attempting to prevent purple viruses from multiplying and taking over a space station room. Thought it was called mutant virus, no such game exists.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

bleak posted:

NES. Overhead view. Gameplay consists of attempting to prevent purple viruses from multiplying and taking over a space station room. Thought it was called mutant virus, no such game exists.

It is in fact The Mutant Virus. :confused:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 15, 2008

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

This game was kind of like worms but with planets and spaceships. You chose your weapon and chose the trajectory and fired.

Each player was situated on a planet and the larger the planet, the stronger the gravitational field. You also had shields you could configure and this game had a weapon editor.

I actually found this game for a while but I've since forgotten the name yet again.

I remember this game. It's Warheads SE.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This is a SNES or Genesis ROM I played over a year ago. It was a bloody sidescroller that reminded me of Splatterhouse, though it was more dark fantasy than horror, or something. You start out as a guy that can run, jump and shoot, and the first level is in some sort of building that may have had an elevator section, but definitely had a big boss chasing you who reminded me of Crocomire from Super Metroid. After that, you turned into either a demon or a dragon-man who could double jump, and the second level was in some sort of evil garden or forest ruin. The bit I remember most clearly is that in this stage there were these fairy enemies who would fly out of tree stumps, and I think you could kill and eat them for health. Somewhere in here was a boss who bounced around/teleported, and may have gotten smaller as you hit it. It might have been a big eyeball or a wheel, though I might be confusing it with that fire wheel boss from Actraiser.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

This is a SNES or Genesis ROM I played over a year ago. It was a bloody sidescroller that reminded me of Splatterhouse, though it was more dark fantasy than horror, or something. You start out as a guy that can run, jump and shoot, and the first level is in some sort of building that may have had an elevator section, but definitely had a big boss chasing you who reminded me of Crocomire from Super Metroid. After that, you turned into either a demon or a dragon-man who could double jump, and the second level was in some sort of evil garden or forest ruin. The bit I remember most clearly is that in this stage there were these fairy enemies who would fly out of tree stumps, and I think you could kill and eat them for health. Somewhere in here was a boss who bounced around/teleported, and may have gotten smaller as you hit it. It might have been a big eyeball or a wheel, though I might be confusing it with that fire wheel boss from Actraiser.

Golden Axe?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
No, nothing like Golden Axe. This wasn't a beat-'em-up, but a sidescrolling platformer. Something more like Splatterhouse or Ghouls & Ghosts, but neither of those.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Could it have been Demon's Crest? Kind of sounds like it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Red Red Blue posted:

Could it have been Demon's Crest? Kind of sounds like it.

It's not, but I recall the game I'm thinking of as having a similar graphical style. I'm quite sure it was nothing by Capcom or another major well-known developer or I'd have found it by now.

bleak
Sep 7, 2004

1 Man Fag Parade!

Rollersnake posted:

It is in fact The Mutant Virus. :confused:

My only defense is that I was looking in lists for the letter M instead of the letter T :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ok, I last played this game a billion years ago and can only remember very very scant details, so if no one can help me, I wouldn't be very surprised :(.

All I really remember is it was from a First person perspective, I remember FMV style graphics but I could be mistaken. You're in this base style area, you walk down a corridor and a woman yells at you to turn around slowly, and shoots you depending on if you turn the wrong way. After that you walk down another corridor and hide behind a box, having to do very well timed shots to take out a couple guards. There's also the sequence I remeber the most where you find a bomb or something on a plane, you can tamper with it but I remember not being able to work out how to do that puzzle.

There was also a part where you took control of a gun to shoot incoming planes and boats.

Again though these memory's are from an age ago, I think we're talking about Mega drive or Sega Saturn at latest. And that's assuming this isn't just a partially remembered dream from my 7-8 year old brain.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's Cyberia again, Nemesis of Moles.

The bomb puzzle involved changing the mode on your high-tech shades, and reading the logic-gate schematic that the various switches fed into. That or brute-forcing it through trial and error.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I have seriously been trying to work out weather I just dreamed that game or it was real for like, 10/11 years now, Thanks.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

I never played it but I thought it looked cool. It was a third party pc game where you were on a cruse ship and everyone had to kill someone until no one was left. And was it any good?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deadkiller615 posted:

I never played it but I thought it looked cool. It was a third party pc game where you were on a cruse ship and everyone had to kill someone until no one was left. And was it any good?

The Ship. It's pretty good; people around here seem to like it.

also what do you mean "third party PC game"

Chad Lightwolf
Jan 19, 2008
My brother, my cousin and I, who all went through the same Wisconsin school system have been dying for the last week trying to find out the nae of an old educational Macintosh game that we'd play in the computer lab circa the early nineties.

In the game you play as a mouse/car going through a castle from a top down view. You drive/walk through a maze trying to reach some cheese. Initially the only challenges were that you would be stopped at door, where the view would change and you'd answer (math?) questions and as you answered them the wall/door would grow smaller until it disappeared and you could pass. In the later levels you would run into invisible walls and other crazy stuff.

It wasn't that fun I'm sure, but it was probably all of our first time running into GAMES ON COMPUTERS IN SCHOOL!!! and the nostalgia factor is through the roof right now. Please please please find me this game. And if you remember it, share the details I've left out, because I'm smiling just thinking about playing this in our computer lab.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Years ago i played this anime style Japanese point and click adventure where there was about 8 different girls and the whole aim was to get laid. You started as a student and had to level up by going to classes and various other things. One of the girls was a teacher and iirc the hardest to get.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

gibsonisacripple posted:

Years ago i played this anime style Japanese point and click adventure where there was about 8 different girls and the whole aim was to get laid. You started as a student and had to level up by going to classes and various other things. One of the girls was a teacher and iirc the hardest to get.

Is this a joke/trap? I guarantee this is the plot to about eight million Japanese dating sims.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
Maybe anyone knows this one:

It's a racing game, futuristic I suppose, and you race in a tube where you're magnetically attached to the sides. It's CRAZY fast, pretty much limited by your own reactionspeed. You have obstacles you have to avoid. Since it's a tube, you can rotate around in the tube (360 degrees), except if you are on the inside of a turn or bumped into an obstacle, you'd lose grip of the sides and float slowly in the middle of the tube, trying to get back on again (like a magnet).

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Majuuou, or King of Demons? I'm pretty confident that's it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ChirreD posted:

Maybe anyone knows this one:

It's a racing game, futuristic I suppose, and you race in a tube where you're magnetically attached to the sides. It's CRAZY fast, pretty much limited by your own reactionspeed. You have obstacles you have to avoid. Since it's a tube, you can rotate around in the tube (360 degrees), except if you are on the inside of a turn or bumped into an obstacle, you'd lose grip of the sides and float slowly in the middle of the tube, trying to get back on again (like a magnet).

Ballistics?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Bleu posted:

Majuuou, or King of Demons? I'm pretty confident that's it.

I actually found this not too long after I posted about it, but yeah, you're right.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
Here's a long shot. I remember downloading a demo for a fantasy RTS or more likely it came on a CD. I remember being able to assign formations for the troops (wedge, line etc etc etc) and there were knights and all sorts of medieval themed buildings. I can't remember much else unfortunately other than remembering you can build some kind of cathedral building and if you one of your soldiers surived a whole bunch of battles they would become a hero class (If I remember correctly).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

gibsonisacripple posted:

It shames me deeply to have played a game like this, but it was like 12 years ago. It was relatively popular at the time, and might be the one you're thinking of. True Love was it's name, and I don't actually think it was pornographic or anything. Since it seemed to be one of the only translated games at the time that were like that, I bet it's the one you're thinking of.

Edit: Had to correct the name.

Edit2: Google search: definitely pornographic. :( However, it was released THIRTEEN years ago, so I feel okay about it.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Something I just remembered.

Two games that came installed on the class iMacs when I was in high school around 2001 or 2002.

One was a prehistoric-themed kart racing game, and the other was a platformer that I think was insect-themed. Both were 3D, very (almost excessively) bright and colorful, and looked pretty good for the time. Quite sure they were made by the same company.

• Locked thread