Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

mfaley posted:

What is different about Adam's voice in TACS? Is it deeper?

Listening to some of the episodes from 1998, his voice seems to have grown considerably deeper over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

mfaley posted:

What is different about Adam's voice in TACS? Is it deeper?

I wondered about this, too. I think it's mostly a result of the heavy compression they use on morning radio. Adam doesn't have to talk as loud, and it's natural to talk deeper when you're talking quietly.

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.

TheKub posted:

There was a morning show I used to listen to that was "Jamie, Frosty and Frank". It was pretty good. Jamie was an absolutely crazy, narcissistic bitch and Frosty and Frank were her handlers. There was just enough crazy to be interesting while still having a good foil to keep grounded. Then they dumped Frosty and Frank for Bonadouche and it was just a non-stop, out-of-control, crazy train. I never really could get on the Bonaduce bandwagon and I think he has the opposite of the Midas touch.

"Frosty, Heidi and Frank" is the show that follows The Adam Carolla Show everyday in LA. When I go to lunch the radio in my car is still on KLSX and I usually listen for a bit. They all have a good dynamic together and the show is pretty funny. The most obnoxious thing about the show is Heidi's laugh. She has this ridiculous guffaw that she can't seem to control. Even something that's only funny enough to warrant a chuckle has her making a weird strangled cackle. In fact, they use her laugh as a drop on Carolla sometimes. It's on from 10a.m. to 1p.m. everyday with a replay of some of that day's segments from 1-2. If you're bored at work or have time in the middle of the day you should listen to the online stream and check it out. Just make sure to stop listening right at 2, or you might accidentally hear some of Bonaduce's terrible show that follows FHF.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

MajorMajor posted:

"Frosty, Heidi and Frank" is the show that follows The Adam Carolla Show everyday in LA. When I go to lunch the radio in my car is still on KLSX and I usually listen for a bit. They all have a good dynamic together and the show is pretty funny. The most obnoxious thing about the show is Heidi's laugh. She has this ridiculous guffaw that she can't seem to control. Even something that's only funny enough to warrant a chuckle has her making a weird strangled cackle. In fact, they use her laugh as a drop on Carolla sometimes. It's on from 10a.m. to 1p.m. everyday with a replay of some of that day's segments from 1-2. If you're bored at work or have time in the middle of the day you should listen to the online stream and check it out. Just make sure to stop listening right at 2, or you might accidentally hear some of Bonaduce's terrible show that follows FHF.

Thanks for the skinny.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 1, 2014

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

Alexandr posted:

01/31 of this year's TACS. EVERYONE needs to listen to this one. Punch in at about 1:45. First is Gay Disney Radio, then it kicks in to the loving woman named China. Absolutely loving hysterical.

Ahahahaha oh jesus I lost it at "Hold on a second, Phil's goin to Arby's."

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

caffeinefree posted:

It sounds like he's depressed and tired constantly; not to mention his fake laugh

"Heh heh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
Definitely the absolutely worst part of his morning show. Never once laughed like that in the history of Loveline, does it every 30 seconds on TACS. I imagine that someone told him to laugh more since back on Loveline, if someone told a joke that wasn't funny, he just didn't laugh, and that's why guys like Jay Mohr were thrown off.

Carolla has awful taste in music.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The only thing about TACS that gets on my nerves is how insular the humor can get, with no sort of "glossary" available on the site. For example, I have no idea where the "NUMBER FOOOOUR" Dawson drop came from or why they use it all the time. Any help?

also the tuvan throat singing for Danny; I get that it represents him but why

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Riptor posted:

also the tuvan throat singing for Danny; I get that it represents him but why
I dunno how it came about, but I can imagine it's pretty simple: someone brought up the throat singing, they played a clip of it a few times, then someone remarked that it sounded like Bonaduce. Laughter ensued, and thus everytime he's mentioned they play that clip.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The NUMBER FOUR drop is played as part of the countdown during This Week In Rage. Brian also plays it whenever Adam goes a bit too long on a rant during the show, acting like it's part of This Week In Rage as a way to get him to move on to the next topic.

I thoroughly enjoy TACS now. The first year was so shakey I stopped listening even before Bonaduce showed up, but they really seem to have found their groove.

I don't agree with you guys that Teresa is just a yes-man to Adam. She plays along with him when it benefits whatever bit they're doing, but she also openly disagrees with him about important things. In the end, though, it's not HER show, so she can't just flat out negate everything the cash register says on air. She's the entire reason the show keeps to some sort of schedule instead of being one four hour rant about something Adam started talking about at 6:00 AM.

Can't it be good AND not be Loveline, or is Adam only funny for abusing retarded stoner molestation victims?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Nemo posted:

Can't it be good AND not be Loveline, or is Adam only funny for abusing retarded stoner molestation victims?

It can be, but for me, there's something about the magic dynamic that was Loveline. The cosmos aligned in just such a way as to allow Carolla, Drew, Anderson, and the retarded callers to gel into something that will not soon be equaled, though TACS is getting better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Graham Wellington posted:

I dunno how it came about, but I can imagine it's pretty simple: someone brought up the throat singing, they played a clip of it a few times, then someone remarked that it sounded like Bonaduce. Laughter ensued, and thus everytime he's mentioned they play that clip.

It was from one of the early Music Mondays. I think it was bad songs to have sex to, and the Tuvan throat singing was one of them. Then it got compared to Bonaduce's voice, and every few days Adam would have conversations with virtual Bonaduce, represented by the throat singing drops. Now they mention something that reminds Bryan of Bonaduce, usually in a negative way (like Adam bitching about fake Christians or a Napoleon complex joke), and in comes the throat singers.

LetsDeauxThis
Aug 19, 2008

drummer101 posted:

Page two and nobody has mentioned how big of a human being Stryker is!?

I know he is pretty gay, but I actually kind of like him. Not as good as Adam but he compliments Dr. Drew well.

LetsDeauxThis fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 19, 2008

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

WDIIA posted:

The DAG show where they spent the first 30 minutes talking about how his long-time girlfriend was cheating on him (I think that was it) had its moments but it was also rather uncomfortable, and I wanted them to move on with the show.

EDIT: I guess I feel the same way with the Lightning Round, it can produce some good humor but I easily empathize with Drew as he tries to slog through the last segment.

I just tried to listen to this episode again (first heard it probably a year ago) and I didn't even make it 20 minutes in before turning it off. Probably one of the most obnoxious episodes I've ever heard, what with DAG's over exaggerated blubbering and whining.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

LetsDeauxThis posted:

Haha there are a lot of jews in America, where the show is recorded. The concept that a jew might call is not mind blowing.

After years of experience on the show, they realized that a lot of the crappiness in the callers' lives is due to their upbringing, and that Jews and Asians TYPICALLY have extremely stable and strong families that preclude them from such terrible lives.

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.

LetsDeauxThis posted:

I know he is pretty gay, but I actually kind of like him. Not as good as Adam but he compliments Dr. Drew well.

Back before you edited this, I was contemplating asking you what the gently caress it was all about because I couldn't make any sense of what you quoted and why it had anything to do with Jewish callers. Now it makes sense, yet I'm even more confused.

Also Stryker is a human being and you are a human being for liking him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alexandr posted:

After years of experience on the show, they realized that a lot of the crappiness in the callers' lives is due to their upbringing, and that Jews and Asians TYPICALLY have extremely stable and strong families that preclude them from such terrible lives.

Wait a minute, but everyone's exactly the same. You can't judge. No differences at all. The prisons have just as many Jews as any other group.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Does anyone know exactly which episode this is from? Classic Adam rant about Entitlement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Fmk0DK-AA

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alexandr posted:

01/31 of this year's TACS. EVERYONE needs to listen to this one. Punch in at about 1:45. First is Gay Disney Radio, then it kicks in to the loving woman named China. Absolutely loving hysterical.

Hahaha. First segment:

Adam: "There are people who like to talk about themselves, people who like to talk about other people, and people who like to talk about ideas. I like to talk about ideas."

HAHAHA. Sure Adam.

Adam would give a toast at a wedding and spend 30 minutes on himself.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bender posted:

Hahaha. First segment:

Adam: "There are people who like to talk about themselves, people who like to talk about other people, and people who like to talk about ideas. I like to talk about ideas."

HAHAHA. Sure Adam.

Adam would give a toast at a wedding and spend 30 minutes on himself.

More like 5 minutes on the couple, 20 on LA traffic, another 15 on chickenshit tickets, then find some segue to berate his parents for another 10. He would invite one of his audio engineers to sweeten the speech with a ton of drops.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Listening to Carolla on Bill Simmons' podcast, I'm reminded of how he keeps his old friends around who will bust his balls any time he does something ridiculous, which kinda goes against the notion that he just gets asskissers around him at all times. He does love that, but he's fairly grounded for a LITERAL millionaire.

Coprophagor
Jan 16, 2007
poopspoopsmepotty

The Pantheon posted:

Literally my only pet peeve of TACS is the fuckin' V/O artist.

I don't know what it is in me but he makes every announcement seem so .. cheesy and lame. Like he thinks people hearing his voice are going to think "this is the mother loving coolest person I have ever heard utter words."

Everything else is fine, like Brian - although at this point he is Adam's lapdog when it comes to opinions, I like Theresa (especially when D.A.G. is on..) and Adam is great as usual but yeah. :arghfist: V/O GUYYY

i always thought the V/O guy was bald brian doing a V/O guy impression.....either way it's annoying

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Coprophagor posted:

i always thought the V/O guy was bald brian doing a V/O guy impression.....either way it's annoying

Aw, c'mon. Dawson (V/O guy) is half-mocking other V/O guys...he's not serious. How could he be? It's just a fun little bit in which I'm sure Adam encouraged him to adopt that persona.

And Bald Brian does the segment, usually at the top of the second part of How Say You, where he imitates program director Jack Silver.

I used to hate that, but again...it's not serious. And it's 15 seconds long.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Is there a site like the Loveline Archive for TACS?

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Somebody verify that this link still works (it's blocked for me at work):

MajorMajor posted:

KLSX is really good at making podcasts of its shows available quickly and keeping an accessible archive. Here is an almost complete archive of the Carolla Show.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It isn't an archive, or even an attractive looking attempt at one, it's just the last month's worth of episodes.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

MajorMajor posted:

Somebody verify that this link still works (it's blocked for me at work):

Thanks, the link's still up. I guess episodes broken up into about 8 files is better than an episode in one .rm file.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Go here http://mahalo.30.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=7519 and sign up, its the TACS message board. That link is every show of this year. You just gotta sign up.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

Go here http://mahalo.30.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=7519 and sign up, its the TACS message board. That link is every show of this year. You just gotta sign up.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Just came across a pretty classic episode: 9-29-2002, Jimmy Kimmel subs for Adam because the night before Adam got married. The whole episode Jimmy and Drew rag on Adam because he cried at his wedding, and Anderson plays this hilarious drop of Adam sobbing at least 10 times. Another funny thing is that Jimmy gets fed up with several boring callers and just hangs up on them mid call without the caller even getting to their question sometimes. Jimmy also requests that callers call in the following day when Adam returns and make fun of him for crying. I haven't heard the following episode yet but I have high hopes that the callers actually do, I can only imagine Adam getting more and more pissed as each caller makes fun of him.

edit: just looked up the 9-30-2002 episode, Kathy Griffin :barf:

The Duke fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 22, 2008

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The Duke posted:

edit: just looked up the 9-30-2002 episode, Kathy Griffin :barf:

They don't make fun of him during this episode. Drew and guest mention it early on and he dismisses it fairly quickly. Not nearly as much amusement as we wish comes from the entire situation.

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Phone posted:

It isn't an archive, or even an attractive looking attempt at one, it's just the last month's worth of episodes.

Hmmm, you're right. As recently as a few months ago that page had episodes going back to early 2006.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Judakel posted:

They don't make fun of him during this episode. Drew and guest mention it early on and he dismisses it fairly quickly. Not nearly as much amusement as we wish comes from the entire situation.

It struck me as one of those situations where anyone else could of kept it going but Adam just shut Drew down like he always does.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

MajorMajor posted:

Hmmm, you're right. As recently as a few months ago that page had episodes going back to early 2006.
Oh, who cares. He should use the malaho.30.forumer.com archive, that's complete for this past year. And, let's face it, the show didn't exist before 01/02/08.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Judakel posted:

drat, I was hoping Adam would actually get butthurt when they questioned his masculinity :(

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Just discovered that Carolla hosted a public access home improvement show in the early '90s. Why in God's name did I just find this out?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Alexandr posted:

Oh, who cares. He should use the malaho.30.forumer.com archive, that's complete for this past year. And, let's face it, the show didn't exist before 01/02/08.
More like didn't exist in 2007! Is there a place to get the old episodes with Dameshek?

LetsDeauxThis
Aug 19, 2008
So do any of you still listen to the show today?
(Yes yes I know stryker is gay yeah yeah yeah. Question stands)

PaisleyOrangutan
May 26, 2008

by The Finn

LetsDeauxThis posted:

I've listened to it a little bit lately and I find it slightly more bearable, but not usually worth listening to. Stryker is still genuinely bad and I still think whoever hired him should be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

LetsDeauxThis posted:

Between TACS and Dr. Drew Live I don't feel like I have to subject myself to Stryker. The only reason to listen to it now is Drew's advice, and a lot of that is repetitive and I still get that on Drew's show. Everyone says it, but Stryker really does make the show unlistenable.

• Locked thread