Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Nerobro posted:

What did I did? As much as the honda community is strong, most CB's are their own model. They also have fairly short "model" runs. So parts don't interchange easily. and parts that do are random magical combinations. GS's have, and had long model runs. And once suzuki engineered something, they stuck with it. Parts swap easily, and widely throughout the range. And, you don't have the "this was never designed to be maintined" problems you run into on hondas.

Have you done any long touring on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

cheese eats mouse posted:

Have you done any long touring on it?

Before we make a complete mess of the thread. catch me on aim or gmail. I'm nerobro both places. And it depends on what you consider "long." Yes, they handle touring very well.

a new dilemma in each post
May 11, 2006

by Fragmaster
I bought a WR-250X ten days ago. Put 400 miles on it, two thirds done with the break-in. I can't seem to get hold of a camera to take pictures of it though, I want to so badly.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

NinjaCthulhu posted:

I like it a lot, but its my first bike so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The seating posistion is very comfortable, it has more than enough power for me, and it has never felt unstable even when I'm turning far enough to scrape the centerstand.

I imagine the suspension is pretty soft compared to other bikes, and it does seem to rebound quite a bit at the bottom of hills, but for just driving around it feels fine. My only other complaints are that there is an annoying vibration between 5 and 6 thousand revs, and the gas milage seems low for a 600 at just around 40, but I don't know if either of those would apply to the 1200.

Upgrading the suspension is pretty popular with Bandits. Fitting a GSXR shock is popular, as well as revalving and replacing the springs in the forks. I don't like the spongy forks on my 1200, and bought expensive Race Tech valves and springs to rebuild them. But I haven't gotten around to installing them. I need another round with my carb synchronizer to try and smooth out the idle a bit more. Still a cool bike.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
is anyone looking for a mint 2005 CBR 600RR Black on Black with 9k miles on it. It's never been dropped or laid down. Title is in hand. Mods include heated grips, Yoshi exhaust, HID kit, new tires, flush mounts. It's only 5100 bucks which is a hell of a deal if you ask me. It's in Phoenix. It's not my bike but I told a friend I'd ask around for him. If anyone is interested PM me. Think this bike with a yoshi exhaust and a fender elimenator.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
If anyone hates the windscreen on their Ninja 250, I just installed the super sport version of a windshield made by some guy named Mike. I'm about 5'8" and was expecting dead silence while sitting up but it isn't and miraculous as I'd hoped. I think that level of quiet is pretty much impossible without having something much bigger to get the wind entirely over my head.

Still, I believe it is much quieter and the wind doesn't hit the underside of my helmet anymore, only the top. Plus, if I crouch down about half way it is in fact devoid of head-on wind noise. I used to have to touch my head to the gas tank and even then it didn't kill the noise entirely.

It was only $36 and he basically takes a piece of Lexan and drills some holes in it. The only difficult part about installing the thing was that the little factory grommets which the small windshield screws thread into fall out very easily upon trying to reinsert the screws, so you should shove a rolled up piece of paper towel behind the grommets if possible, but make sure you can get at it once the windscreen is installed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/Pictures/Galena06/DSC01748.JPG

Full touring rig on my 1980 GS550. The day before the trip, the tank I had spent all winter painting sprung a leak. It had rotted out from the inside.

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
My old 01 TTR-225 Right before i sold her. god i miss that bike.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/47/4732beeb51819fd5d5d7390d1cea613145227398.jpg

Call me crazy but i am really really digging the concept of this being as i enjoy enduro/tight trails more then racing and i only way 155lb.

The 125LB ready to ride 125cc4 stroke, (why the gently caress dont they put a 2 stroke in it boggles my mind)
http://www.fxbikes.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKd9uVffyiQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhiMmZGkrpY&feature=related

Also: gently caress you yamaha for not bring this to the US. loving eat poo poo and DIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87LPTmulMC4&feature=related

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 22, 2008

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

After lots of work and some money spent on painting, here she is:

This was her before:
http://www.neuralspark.net/~tip/pics/gsxr1k/canon-hires/index-Images/0.jpg

What was done:
- Replaced the exhaust can
- Re-tapped the stripped oil pan
- Flushed the oil and engine coolant
- Flushed and re-pressurized both front and back brake systems
- Replaced the broken rear brake pedal
- Replaced the sparks
- Replaced the air filter
- Added a Power Commander III
- Replaced the hacked up stock midpipe
- Replaced the rear view mirrors

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 22, 2008

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Here's me on my biek.
My second day at Jennings GP. I low-sided about 30 minutes before that shot. You have to crash in order to find out how fast you are.

Was that the session after I saw you? Guess the lowside wasn't too bad. What turn? Don't say 8 ;)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Figure I might as well post the two crappy pictures I took of my new Triumph Speed Triple.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My god, man. Nice bike, I'm sure, but you've made it look so lonely and depressed.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
My first real bike

Click here for the full 800x612 image.

Which one day magically grew up into a ZX10R

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Which is now sadly getting its road trim put back on to be sold.

A new R6 isn't too far down the track though.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
My new to me 2003 SV650

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Just picked it up a few days ago.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I have a hard time sticking with a motorcycle, here are a gaggle of my bikes over the past few years.

first ride of that year....

sold the Goose, bought an Ape. The Peg has been around, sold it this spring to a guy who was looking to ride it around Fairbanks this summer and then ride it back to the lesser 48.

in between were some project bikes. This is a BMW K75S with the K100 tank, various other atrocities, I bought it as a largely stripped frame and spent the winter gathering parts. I did the paint on this bike.

This was a refugee from the law-some member of the brain trust believed that he could outrun the constabulary on a wretched old CB750. I bought it at the impound auction and gave up TV for the winter. Considering what I started with, not half bad.

The "FrankenBeezer". BSA unit twin in a Yamaha XS500 frame. This bike taught me a lot about old school BritBikes......Lucas, Amal, Boyer, crisis intervention hotline.

This Triumph Sprint was a much better Britbike. Pulled like a bull locomotive. The Micron "not for road use" cans gave the bike an otherworldly shriek at redline.
[

This was another venture into the bikes from the boot-and another with loud pipes. This one would set off car alarms. I eventually took the pipes apart and stuffed fiberglass in them until they were less insane, but sweet merciful hammers of the gods, that Ducati sound.

The Buell S2, here shown being ridden by Gnoma'am, was another antisocial bike. Loud, comparitively crude, very industrial, but handled sweet and was such a great bike for hitting the twisties and the highway. Gnoma'am couldn't stay off of it but it kept trying to kill her so it went away.

So going to the presnt day brings us to the current stable. Main bike, 2000 BMW R1150GS with the usual farkles, most of which can stay in the shed cuz only poseurs ride around town with the Jesse bags mounted, unless they are going to Home Depot or the grocery store.

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/c7b/c7b45d699a66dc1c93baa808ae7cb71e_195.jpg

I couldn't pass up the price on this bike-free!
81 Honda CM400, it was free in a basket. Some DPO had taken the top end off the motor becuase the carbs were messed up....at least that's my theory as there was nothing wrong with the engine, $100 in gaskets put it back together, $120 in tires, $10 for the Sportster mufflers, it's a bike for dinking around on when I don't feel like yarding the BigMuthabumpingcoW around.

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/e21/e214fa5992f2b56816739b4f0733a7be_f15.jpg

And my present project bike. 80 XS650, with the rare 2 cycle engine option.

It'll fog up the whole neighborhodd. That ain't Seafoam folks.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 22, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Gnomad posted:

And my present project bike. 80 XS650, with the rare 2 cycle engine option.

It'll fog up the whole neighborhodd. That ain't Seafoam folks.

A 650 two stroke twin :monocle:

That must tear your arms off when it gets in the powerband.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a joke, it's not a 2 stroke ;-) Bad rings? Bad valve guides?

Gnomad, nice toys over the years.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Nerobro posted:

That not a funny joke. :mad: I thought Yamaha made a bonkers big displacement 2 stroke I didn't know about. My dream is crushed :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8ender posted:

That not a funny joke. :mad: I thought Yamaha made a bonkers big displacement 2 stroke I didn't know about. My dream is crushed :(

They did, problem is, you gotta spend about 30K to get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120295079162

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

They did, problem is, you gotta spend about 30K to get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120295079162
Just thinking about a 750 2-stroke scares the poo poo out of me.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Rnr posted:

Going to sell my old sweetheart now, CBR600 F4:

Click here for the full 1200x803 image.

Aaaaand it's sold! Picked up this beauty today:

2005 ZX10r with 3100km on the clock. Came with scorpion exhaust (not terribly loud, which is nice. Would have liked a stock exhaust, but it was gone), steering damper and, best of all, an alarm system. Helps with my paranoia.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

bung posted:

Just thinking about a 750 2-stroke scares the poo poo out of me.

Scared Kenny Roberts too, and he had to ride it in the dirt. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/dontpaymeenuff.htm

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

8ender posted:

How about 700cc 2 stroke, single. No powervalve.

http://www.atkusa.com/documents/2008ATK700-620ccIntimidator.pdf
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=332426

Or... There's the GT750 which is a big tame, triple. Or, if you wanna go real nuts, the RG500 is a 100hp 500cc square 4.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

How about 700cc 2 stroke, single. No powervalve.

http://www.atkusa.com/documents/2008ATK700-620ccIntimidator.pdf
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=332426

Or... There's the GT750 which is a big tame, triple. Or, if you wanna go real nuts, the RG500 is a 100hp 500cc square 4.

Ha! It makes 78hp and weighs 238lbs dry.

What a loving rocketship.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

square 4
I'd never heard of this until now. Two separate P-twins joined together by gears? That's blasphemy! That's madness!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Bob Morales posted:

No, not really.
Actually the F4i banana seat is more comfortable.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I started out on a Ducati Monster 620. I loved that bike to death, but got hit by a jeep running a light. I still miss that bike.

About 2 years later, when I got my insurance settlement, I bought a Triumph TT600. It was fast, but it was no Ducati.

I really wanted to get back on a twin, so I ended up selling it to my friend, and not a moment too soon, as the timing belt broke on it a few months later.(Of course every part of that engine was under additional strain pulling his 300lb rear end)

I ended up buying this. Aprilia RSV Mille
https://wi.somethingawful.com/ed/edc098525e150f49a4cca10cf20f068e1658c9f4.jpg
With the Tigcraft exhaust it came with, I set off car alarms regularly.
The bike does everything I could ask of it, except be comfortable for more than 30 minutes, so I'm thinking of picking up a used BMW for trips and carrying things. Of course a Sargent seat and a pillion bag would do the same for about $6600 less...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Probably rings-best i can do compression wise is 125 per hole. Depending on my ambition and cash level, I'm thinking a 750cc kit, rephase to 277º, or both...and while I'm at it, an alloy tank and a pony. :)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

kmcormick9 posted:

The bike does everything I could ask of it, except be comfortable for more than 30 minutes, so I'm thinking of picking up a used BMW for trips and carrying things. Of course a Sargent seat and a pillion bag would do the same for about $6600 less...

Try to find an Aprilia Futura - slightly detuned version of the motor in your Mille, WAY more comfortable ergos, comes with factory saddle bags. They haven't made them for a few years but they are a great bike. The stock seat is incredibly comfortable, too.

DeathBySnuggles
Nov 2, 2005
My special someone. 2008 Ducati 1098. Had it since May. Love it! The second pic was just a ride around the block for a pic shot. I'm never without my jacket gloves and boots normally.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^ Are those mirror extenders?

DeathBySnuggles
Nov 2, 2005

bung posted:

^^ Are those mirror extenders?

Yes. I commute to work on the bike and the mirrors stock show me nothing but elbows. The extenders offer a little bit more vision. Not all that great looking, but worth the looks to be able to see the lanes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
now that's a commuter bike.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My 90 zephyr 550 I just got it 3 weeks ago for $1100 with 9000mi.

I had it for 5 days and it got backed over in a customers driveway. Wrecking the tank paint, denting the tank, bars, brake, sidecover, exhaust, fender ect..

After $500 in paint and $350 in parts it looks like this.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Pubic Lair posted:

My 90 zephyr 550
I've always liked the looks of that bike.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
It's like the designers were ahead of the time with the way they sculpted the tail-fairing. It's very unboxey and sleek looking.

Although looking at it again, I have to reconsider exactly how old that bike is. The side mounted shocks and whatever other visual cues there are make it seem like an older bike than it actually is.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 23, 2008

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

French Canadian posted:

It's like the designers were ahead of the time with the way they sculpted the tail-fairing. It's very unboxey and sleek looking.

The previous owner did that. He cut the crap under the tail and put the turn signals into the tail lamp. I should have mentioned that, the stock looks a little boxy.

Here is a stock one.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 23, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pubic Lair posted:

My 90 zephyr 550 I just got it 3 weeks ago for $1100 with 9000mi.

I had it for 5 days and it got backed over in a customers driveway. Wrecking the tank paint, denting the tank, bars, brake, sidecover, exhaust, fender ect..

After $500 in paint and $350 in parts it looks like this.

Zephyrs are sweet looking bikes. I have to say that Kawi stuck that ducktail design on a lot of bikes (I have a 250 Kawi enduro with one), and they were smart to do so, it looks sharp on almost everything they put it on.

Getting backed over was a blessing in disguise, the new paint job looks much better than the old one.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Getting backed over was a blessing in disguise, the new paint job looks much better than the old one.

I have to agree the stripe is my idea. The poo poo on there when I got it was put on 2 owners ago and was a home garage/weekend quality job.

I was shocked when the bodyshop called and said it would only be $530 to fix the tank dent and paint it. I left for a week roadtrip the day after it got wrecked so I dropped it off and left that friday. Monday I called the guy and said I want a dark blue metallic and a silver racing stripe and left it up to the body guy hoping for the best. I got back the next friday and swung by to drop off the front fender expecting to see the bike in pieces and the guy said he had to show me something about the bike. I was expecting to get told the tank was ruptured, it was totaled ect.. and walked in to this.

It was way better than anything I could have pictured. I handed him the fender and he called me the next monday to say it was done. He even helped me replace the bars and shifter so I could drive it home without denting the tank again for free. Any north eastern il, south eastern wi goons that need paint let me know.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Although looking at it again, I have to reconsider exactly how old that bike is. The side mounted shocks and whatever other visual cues there are make it seem like an older bike than it actually is.

I really like it. This bike seems to combine all the cues from old and new bikes that I like into a sweet little package. Its on my list now. How are they to work on?