Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What's the deal with skipping frequencies, anyways? Both of my radios do that. Do the manufacturers just figure "eh, who wants to listen to nautical signals and robot women counting in Spanish"?
I think it's basically the same concept as with normal AM/FM radios - restrict it to the broadcast bands since that's what the (theoretical) majority of buyers are going to use it for anyway, and by just skipping to each broadcast band without the big gaps in the middle, it makes it easier for the less educated customer.

Although I don't see why they'd still do it now in most of the developed world, since most SW listeners in the first world are hobbyists who enjoy arsing around with it rather than buying the radios as, well, radios, if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Can shortwave pick up cell phone conversations? I hope not but wasn't it possible about a decade or so ago?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Social Animal posted:

Can shortwave pick up cell phone conversations? I hope not but wasn't it possible about a decade or so ago?
No, and no. I'm guessing you're thinking of the whole "Newt Gingrich overheard on a cell phone" scandal from 1994 or so, but that was done with a scanner in the UHF range (typically, analog cell phones are found 800-900 MHz).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
If you're lucky you can find old cordless phones at around 31MHz but that's not technically shortwave. Close, though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

I think it's basically the same concept as with normal AM/FM radios - restrict it to the broadcast bands since that's what the (theoretical) majority of buyers are going to use it for anyway, and by just skipping to each broadcast band without the big gaps in the middle, it makes it easier for the less educated customer.

Although I don't see why they'd still do it now in most of the developed world, since most SW listeners in the first world are hobbyists who enjoy arsing around with it rather than buying the radios as, well, radios, if you know what I mean.
They do it because the basic receiver design is the same between most of the Chinese "throwaway" portables that have locked-in tuning steps and only cover SW bands (i.e. it's cheaper to use an already-proven design). And since most lower-priced models sold in the USA and elsewhere are identical to models sold in China (where the average person is considered too "stupid" to figure out things like 1kHz tuning steps and SSB), we get a lot of watered down radios.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!
The G5 gets brought up a lot and I've looked at it and it seems pretty nice...

I was wondering though, if there were any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive full coverage receiver that differentiates between USB and LSB. I noticed that the G5 does SSB, but no way to switch from USB to LSB. I realize that's not an issue considering it only covers the broadcast SW frequencies, but I'd like to find one that covers that and the ham bands, and allows both USB and LSB distinction.

I have a couple ham TXceivers, but I'd like to find a receiver that is relatively inexpensive, full frequency coverage and portable.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

bladernr posted:

The G5 gets brought up a lot and I've looked at it and it seems pretty nice...

I was wondering though, if there were any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive full coverage receiver that differentiates between USB and LSB. I noticed that the G5 does SSB, but no way to switch from USB to LSB. I realize that's not an issue considering it only covers the broadcast SW frequencies, but I'd like to find one that covers that and the ham bands, and allows both USB and LSB distinction.

I have a couple ham TXceivers, but I'd like to find a receiver that is relatively inexpensive, full frequency coverage and portable.

The G5 has a dedicated dial on the side under the tuning knob, up is USB and down is LSB. It's not the best but it certainly gets the job done.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

w_hat posted:

The G5 has a dedicated dial on the side under the tuning knob, up is USB and down is LSB. It's not the best but it certainly gets the job done.

Exactly. It doesn't have a switch that says "USB here, LDB there," but it does have a "fine tuning" SSB dial that tunes between the two to narrow in on the signal. A little challenging at first, but it sure works.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

:siren: SAD NEWS IN THE WORLD OF CLANDESTINE RADIO :siren:

After going off the air in June from the Cyprus site, and only intermittent activity through early August which has now ceased from the Guam site, it appears that MI6's famed number stations E03 and E03a, better known by the names of "Lincolnshire Poacher" and "Cherry Ripe" ARE NO LONGER ON THE AIR.

This is a sad blow to lovers of weird poo poo everywhere, and a sad loss of one of the quirkier number stations still on the airwaves.

Joshua R. on Simon Mason's Site posted:

"On 2nd December at 21:44, E3 dropped off air halfway through a group. I would have thought this was a one off but the previous hour on the same frequency, the final closing melody was not aired. On top of this, on the 20th November, the 21:00 message, broadcast on the same frequency, was missing, or has part of, the first number of the group. This also affected the message header and the Identification melody (the first of the melody, not the bar though, was partially there.) I probably wouldn't contact you about this but I believe this might be of value because of the fact that E3 is notorious for it's consistently."

Uh oh. Things seemed to be going south since December.

Simon Mason posted:

The first logging of this station by myself was on 21 December 1988, so it would be the 20th anniversary this year. However, it seems that the station won't be around to celebrate its birthday as the last logging I have is on 29 June 2008. Whether it will return or not only time will tell. Its sister station E3a (Cherry Ripe) is also off air.

The Enigma group has declared the British network officially "Inactive." Members of the spooks list have concurred with this determination. :cry:

RIP, Lincolnshire Poacher and Cherry Ripe.

:britain:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Just wait a few years for the all-episodes LE commemorative set.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
aw, man, I'll miss the Poacher. Always used to bring a smile when I heard that tune while cruising through the bands. I just happen to be in a numbers frame of mind at the moment too, given that I am simultaneously listening to the Conet Project and this:

http://arcade.hofle.com/

Which is strange. But kinda cool.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oh poo poo, that sucks!

At least The Buzzer is still buzzing away.

Coryne
Aug 20, 2008
OP, you can add another $111 to the financial drain stats for the Eton E5 and forums account I bought recently due to this thread.

Also, SWL UK Goons may find this of some interest:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveShortwave

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Coryne posted:

OP, you can add another $111 to the financial drain stats for the Eton E5 and forums account I bought recently due to this thread.

Also, SWL UK Goons may find this of some interest:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveShortwave

Signed my name and callsign. I hate that those devices are allowed to pump out so much RF.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

w_hat posted:

Oh... crap. I picked one up at the local Rat Shack the other day and didn't even notice that... I'll just have to stop in and have a second look... and maybe this time they'll even put batteries in it so I can actually try the damned thing out.

Thanks for the info though... I really didn't even notice any USB tuning knob...

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

bladernr posted:

Thanks for the info though... I really didn't even notice any USB tuning knob...

To be fair it's labeled - Fine +

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D
Goons!!! My shortwave just arrived! I'm going to open the box now and play with it :D I gotta admit, I don't really know what I'm doin', but I'll see if I can't figure it out!

edit: Crap, can I put Japanese batteries in an American radio and expect the same performance?

edit2: ...Y'know, I have trouble even getting FM where I live, and I just went through all of FM and got 1 station. Then, I scanned half of all frequencies in SW. I got 1 station, barely. And it was Japanese.

I didn't expect anything epic, but several thousand clicks of static is kind of disappointing. I really hate where I live sometimes.

edit3: I read the first page of this thread again and walked around outside with it. I was able to pick up quite a few stations, but absolutely none inside my own house :(

ddblue fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 26, 2008

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Was it daytime when you tried? I had a similarly frustrating experience the first few times I tried listening, until I learned that all the good stuff comes out at night, thanks to the ionosphere.

Japanese house-brand batteries shouldn't make too big a difference, but I'd suggest getting some fresh, quality ones when you can. That may also improve signal for you.

What kind of radio didya get?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't even remember where, but I heard about this website today - Numbers Station Bingo. Does what it says on the tin - it's a game of bingo using recordings from Conet to call out the numbers.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I can't even remember where, but I heard about this website today - Numbers Station Bingo. Does what it says on the tin - it's a game of bingo using recordings from Conet to call out the numbers.

:lol: Best post in the entire thread, that's awesome.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Holy loving christ on a cheddar biscuit... I wish I had thought of that. I love "Congratulations: you have now been activated."

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Was it daytime when you tried? I had a similarly frustrating experience the first few times I tried listening, until I learned that all the good stuff comes out at night, thanks to the ionosphere.

Japanese house-brand batteries shouldn't make too big a difference, but I'd suggest getting some fresh, quality ones when you can. That may also improve signal for you.

What kind of radio didya get?

I found some good ol' fashioned industrial American batteries, so I went with those.
It was night time when I tried, so I was really disappointed. I don't know what it is about my building that nerfs my reception. They've recently started doing construction outside and constructed a huge railing thing that goes all the way around my entire building. That wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

Also, I got a Sony ICF SW7600GR.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

ddblue posted:

I found some good ol' fashioned industrial American batteries, so I went with those.
It was night time when I tried, so I was really disappointed. I don't know what it is about my building that nerfs my reception. They've recently started doing construction outside and constructed a huge railing thing that goes all the way around my entire building. That wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

Also, I got a Sony ICF SW7600GR.

That railing sounds like it's begging for a longwire antenna.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Had some fine DXing last night.

As well as the usual ones I manage to pick up here in the UK I also managed to identify

Radio Mauritanie
Radio Havana
Radio Ukraine
WWCR
WEWN
Voice of Greece
Radio Cairo
Radio Prague

WEWN were as reliably insane as expected. "Make sure you have plenty of Freeze Dried food to hand, because the Russians are coming and you know they can't wait for the new Jimmy Carter to become president. Later we'll be telling you how to make a camp shower."

Radio Ukraine was basically "FFS let us into NATO, and Georgia too!"

There was also some weird 'Chirping' noises alongside 'the buzzer'. The 'chirp' was repeating about twice a second and fiddling about it seemed to be strongest on 4620kHz in USB. It was incredibly strong (stronger than UVB-76) when listening on AM mode. I heard it between 2345 & 2355 UTC, when I retuned at 0025 it had gone.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

biglads posted:

There was also some weird 'Chirping' noises alongside 'the buzzer'. The 'chirp' was repeating about twice a second and fiddling about it seemed to be strongest on 4620kHz in USB. It was incredibly strong (stronger than UVB-76) when listening on AM mode. I heard it between 2345 & 2355 UTC, when I retuned at 0025 it had gone.

Did it sound like a jammer?

Also, is it just me, or is HF reception around the UK absolute poo poo at the moment?

My three "test" stations for HF reception are:

RAF Volmet: 5450 and 11253 khz
Shannon Volmet: 5505 khz

If I can hear those 3 stations pretty well I know I have decent coverage across the bands and that it's coming in from a good range of directions.

Lately they are barely audible. RAF Volmet is one of the strongest HF stations in the country so you expect to get it everywhere.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

thehustler posted:

Did it sound like a jammer?

Also, is it just me, or is HF reception around the UK absolute poo poo at the moment?

Didn't sound like a jammer - if it was trying to jam UVB-76 it was failing because the Buzzer was still audible beneath the chirping. Mind, I'm not an expert or anything.

Reception last night was pretty good. I'm in Hertfordshire using a ICF-7600GR with the normal antenna. That was the first time I'd done any DXing for a while tho'.

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D
Hey guys! I took a walk with my shortwave today and discovered CRI English. Has this already been ranted about in this thread? It's basically a Chinese propaganda station in English. 2 VERY friendly sounding people (it's creepy - an almost 'Disney-esque' friendliness), go on and on about how great China is.

Today they were reading mail from people who loved the olympics, which is fine and good - until it got ridiculous (which was about 2 minutes in). One person wrote about how they expected China to be rural, but when they arrived it was nothing but huge buildings and skyscrapers! Another talked about how they long for Beijing now that they're back in Australia, and how they could talk all day about Beijing and never run out of positive things to say. The dj's would read each letter, thank the writer and say something to the effect of, "Thanks. We'll do our best to remain awesome."

Yet another talked about how the UK would never be able to follow the wonderful opening ceremony that China had orchestrated, and things of this nature. I swear they stopped just short of something like, "Another fan writes, 'Why are Chinese people so much nicer than other people?'".

It was my 7th bookmarked station :D

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ddblue posted:

Hey guys! I took a walk with my shortwave today and discovered CRI English. Has this already been ranted about in this thread? It's basically a Chinese propaganda station in English. 2 VERY friendly sounding people (it's creepy - an almost 'Disney-esque' friendliness), go on and on about how great China is.
The description of the hosts sounds familiar, but I never really found CRI to be too hideously propagandistic. Personally I've found CRI more boring than anything. Although I haven't listened at all for a month and change - mostly to dodge the inevitable HOLY poo poo THE BEIJING OLYMPICS ARE THE BEST, MOST PEACEFUL OLYMPICS EVER sentiment.

quote:

One person wrote about how they expected China to be rural, but when they arrived it was nothing but huge buildings and skyscrapers!
This, though, was undoubtedly a genuine letter and sentiment. The Chinese authorities are very good at making sure tourists don't go where they might see anything that runs counter to the party line. Even taking the train from Guangzhou up to Beijing you hardly see anything other than empty countryside, "quaint" little farming villages, and cities. The CCP are loving marvellous at message control.

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D

TetsuoTW posted:

The description of the hosts sounds familiar, but I never really found CRI to be too hideously propagandistic. Personally I've found CRI more boring than anything. Although I haven't listened at all for a month and change - mostly to dodge the inevitable HOLY poo poo THE BEIJING OLYMPICS ARE THE BEST, MOST PEACEFUL OLYMPICS EVER sentiment.

This, though, was undoubtedly a genuine letter and sentiment. The Chinese authorities are very good at making sure tourists don't go where they might see anything that runs counter to the party line. Even taking the train from Guangzhou up to Beijing you hardly see anything other than empty countryside, "quaint" little farming villages, and cities. The CCP are loving marvellous at message control.

Maybe it just seemed ultra-propagandaish because of the olympics. I listened for about 15 minutes, and there was literally no address of anything even remotely negative - everything was ultra positive, so much so that even I wanted to move to China by the end of it.

A friend of mine was telling me that there were all these flattering pictures of sprawling Chinese cities floating about around the time of the olympics, but in many cases (I believe it was proven, but this friend is kind of a pot-head so who knows), there were particularly contrasting slums just out of frame.

Anyway, I don't wanna derail or anything - was just happy to finally get a station that I got kind of a kick out of :D

softbomb
Dec 30, 2004

Does anyone have any experiences with the old Zenith TransOceanic 7000 series?

I'd like to pick one up; they seem to be a good gateway into the world of older receivers. I've seen some favourable reviews on eham, but would love to hear about the series from anyone here.

Padwen
Jul 22, 2008

softbomb posted:

Does anyone have any experiences with the old Zenith TransOceanic 7000 series?

I had one when I was a kid and I used it alot. It was a great radio. I replaced it with a Kenwood R-1000 and over the years the old Zenith got lost in the shuffle. If I ran across one in good working order for less than a hundred bucks I'd buy it without hesitation. The Kenwood may have a more sensitive receiver, better filters, and digital 0-30MHz tuning, but the Transoceanic wins in the sexy department hands down.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I finally got to play around with a Grundig G6 today, an it DEFINITELY has my endorsement over the G5/E5. This is one tight little radio.

For the most part, it is just like my E5, only smaller and does a few more things. This thing is loving TINY. I also REALLY like the fact that it uses a red backlight, which helps preserve night vision. Since I do a lot of amateur astronomy work, and I like to listen to SW while I observe, this makes a huge difference.

Hmmmm.... I might have to obtain one of these now. Dammit, just when I got resigned to wanting a Satellit 750...

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Hmmmm.... I might have to obtain one of these now. Dammit, just when I got resigned to wanting a Satellit 750...
I hate to say it, but from the looks of Passport's blog, the 750 doesn't look like it's a very good radio for the price; it did just come out, though, so I guess the smart money would be to wait a few months to get some reactions/ read about it in the 2009 Passport.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

I hate to say it, but from the looks of Passport's blog, the 750 doesn't look like it's a very good radio for the price; it did just come out, though, so I guess the smart money would be to wait a few months to get some reactions/ read about it in the 2009 Passport.

Link, por favor?

For the record, the exact same thing happened with the Satellit 800 AND the E1/E1XM. There was a long breaking in period with defective units and people having to get repairs/replacements. After a while, the radios built up a very solid reputation.

I'll wait on the Satellit 750, and exercise caution before I buy. I DO like the fact that its Digital Radio Mondiale upgradable.

Edit: OP has FINALLY been upgraded with the latest financial drain stats.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Link, por favor?
http://www.passband.com/eton-satellit-750-delayed-again/

quote:

Yep, we’re testing it for Passport 2009, and coming to the home stretch. Bottom line, it’s a pleasant-sounding radio with superior shortwave sensitivity (less so on MW AM, and the aero band is like a brick) and terrific dynamic range.

It’s set up to take advantage of this with sophisticated outboard antenna jacks and switching so you can successfully use a serious outdoor antenna. But no synchronous selectable sideband, ECSS doesn’t work well, single-sideband performance is only so-so and the tuning knob wobbles. No DRM output, either.

The devil is in the details with the S750. Yet, at $300 it’s hard for enthusiasts, as opposed to general listeners, not to take a serious second look at the Etón E1/E1XM at $100 or so more. —David Zantow

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I think I did something wrong when I put on the replacement whip antenna on my G5. I'm getting reception, but I'm noticing pretty startling improvements in reception (mostly a reduction of noise) when I squeeze the antenna with my fingers. Is that normal? Should I tighten the screw, loosen it, or something?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Foggy posted:

I think I did something wrong when I put on the replacement whip antenna on my G5. I'm getting reception, but I'm noticing pretty startling improvements in reception (mostly a reduction of noise) when I squeeze the antenna with my fingers. Is that normal? Should I tighten the screw, loosen it, or something?
Yes, that's completely normal, when you touch the antenna your body becomes part of the antenna system. Unless the antenna flops over on its own/really easily there's no need to tighten the adjustment screw.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

nmfree posted:

when you touch the antenna your body becomes part of the antenna system.

I can feel the power!! Thanks

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Yes, that's completely normal, when you touch the antenna your body becomes part of the antenna system. Unless the antenna flops over on its own/really easily there's no need to tighten the adjustment screw.

Same thing happens when you're adjusting the bunny ears on a ghetto TV set. When you're handling the antenna and moving it, the picture looks crystal clear. When you let go, it gets fuzzy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

While we're on the subject of antennae: I'm pretty sure I've read in this thread that if you're gonna hook up a wire antenna, you should run a ground to a cold water pipe. I just got Shortwave Listening Guidebook (1993) by Harry Helms out of the library, and he says:

Harry Helms posted:

For years, SWLs have been urged to "properly ground" their receivers by running an insulated wire... to a cold water pipe or metal rod driven into the earth. Even contemporary SW receiver manuals recommend this practice. SWL "folk wisdom" holds that grounding a receiver increases its performance and protects the receiver from lightning.

It ain't so, folks.

He goes on to say that this is a holdover from ye olden days of vacuum tubes, and can actually introduce more noise into the signal (if the signal does improve, it's not the grounding but the fact that you've just added a second antenna, in essence).

Thoughts? Anyone else heard this?

In other news ---

Bad news: my DX-370 has flaked out and is constantly in travel lock mode (the button seems sketchy). I'm a circuit-bender, so I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron; gonna see if I can't fix it.

Good news: if I can't fix it, well, that's a good reason to plunk down for a E-5/G-5, amirite? (Bonus: circuit-bending the DX-370 :v: )

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 3, 2008

• Locked thread