Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow diver
Dec 25, 2004

Unfortunately it's not as pretty as it used to be. I wrecked the very same day I took those pictures, and got a speeding ticket on the way up to the mountains. What a great day.

I pretty much need to replace every piece of bodywork, the headlights, mounting brackets, shift and brake levers. Oh, and the gas tank is a little scuffed up but not dented. It's still mechanically sound though, in fact I rode it back down the next day with a broken collarbone, that was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Well, it does look like you were riding on a corded rear tyre, that might be part of your problems...

Public Lair: I have the same engine (well, except that mine's 738cc rather than 550) in my ZR-7S. All I have to say is: have fun adjusting the valves. :argh: Who puts the loving shims UNDER the buckets?

Also, to the last two Ducati posters: Pleeeeease post sound/video clips if you have them, as those are always fantastic sounding bikes, that I never have enough chance to hear around these parts.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

8ender posted:

I really like it. This bike seems to combine all the cues from old and new bikes that I like into a sweet little package. Its on my list now. How are they to work on?

Well, all I have done up to this point is repair the damage from it getting run over, repair the split rear seat seam and install nos oem crash bars to prevent it getting totaled if it gets hit again.

It currently has a leaky fork and a slight oil leak at the base of the heads on the left side. The forks can happen to any bike, the oil leak is from what I understand common to this model, all it is at this point is a little seep when running that amounts to 1 drop that collects and drips down when parked. The other common problem is the spring cam chain tensioner gets gunked up and fails, luckily the previous owner had it happen and had a custom one machined that is a threaded rod that can't back out. As I understand they are rare in the U.S. and were only around for 3-4 years in the early 90's due to a trademark suit or something. In the uk and japan however they were sold up until ~98.

I'm really happy with it thus far, It seems to be geared really low and takes off great for a 550 but runs out of gears around 85-90 with my ~230 on it. That said I can't complain as 90 is more than I should ever really need anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

^^ Well, it does look like you were riding on a corded rear tyre, that might be part of your problems...

Jesus holy christ, replace that loving tire. Now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

shadow diver posted:

I wrecked the very same day I took those pictures

Suprise of the century.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

shadow diver posted:

I wrecked the very same day
i want a 748. you better give me yours for its own safety.

shadow diver
Dec 25, 2004
Actually the tire had nothing to do with the crash, and I didn't notice it until I stopped to take those pictures. Which was the turn around point, anyway.

But yes, replacing the tires, and lots of other parts, is my first priority once I leave Alaska next month.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I decided to shine the bike up a bit this morning since I got up at 7 AM for no reason

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Simkin posted:

Also, to the last two Ducati posters: Pleeeeease post sound/video clips if you have them, as those are always fantastic sounding bikes, that I never have enough chance to hear around these parts.

Oh hell yeah do these things sound good I got schooled by a 1098 while running the local twisties the other morning, getting passed never sounded so good.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

1978 CB400T Hawk (type I)

It has everything anyone could ever want except the following:
  • Disc brake(s)
  • A tachometer
  • Electric start
  • power
  • A full complement of spokes for the rear wheel
  • A leak-free exhaust system
  • A place to mount another mirror

Current to-do list:
  • Add missing spoke to rear wheel
  • Replace rear tire
  • Valve adjustment (apparently every 600 miles)
  • replace exhaust
  • Remove 30 years of oil residue and investigate the source of the slight oil leak

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Malpenix Blonia posted:

[*]Valve adjustment (apparently every 600 miles)

I seriously doubt it's every 600 miles. The recommended interval that I've seen on the few bikes I've owned have both been 10,000km, so maybe you missed a zero?

constant gulping
Sep 22, 2005

Relax!
1971 BMW R60/5

I haven't had it too long, I am just starting to get used to the little quirks that airheads have. It's been a really fun bike so far.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Simkin posted:

I seriously doubt it's every 600 miles. The recommended interval that I've seen on the few bikes I've owned have both been 10,000km, so maybe you missed a zero?

I want to believe that the interval is longer, but so far my only source for any information at all is this table in the Clymer manual:

Click here for the full 800x1153 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Malpenix Blonia posted:

I want to believe that the interval is longer, but so far my only source for any information at all is this table in the Clymer manual:

Click here for the full 800x1153 image.

Wtf? I'd be inclined to think that that's a misprint...but can't hurt to check them every 600 miles until you figure out how far they go out between checks. :haw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Oh that is insane. No way does all that poo poo have to get done at 600 miles. Valves? Oil Change? That has to be a typo.

I wonder if it is missing an interval between 600 miles and 4000 miles and everything just got glomped together.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

constant gulping posted:

1971 BMW R60/5

I haven't had it too long, I am just starting to get used to the little quirks that airheads have. It's been a really fun bike so far.

Great looking bike. Hopefully you're having less issues than I did. I've got a toaster R60/5 that I need to get around to tearing down. By the way, if you ever have to change the battery, make sure you've got a few hours to spare.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Malpenix Blonia posted:

I found a 1981 CB400T owner's manual (link), most things should be the same:

I don't know who designed that terrible chart, but the maintenance intervals are fairly normal. Maybe the Clymer dude just saw the word EVERY and the 600 mile column and ran with it.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks! You have saved me a whole lot of time and money. I think I'll be going through that checklist anyway due to this discovery:

On my first check of the bike I noticed that the air filter element looked a bit homemade for my taste. I decided to order a new one just to be safe. When I got the new and old and laid them side by side, this is what I saw. I'll let you figure out which one has a Honda part number. I think I know why by bike seems to have been running rich.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Malpenix Blonia posted:

I think I know why by bike seems to have been running rich.

Haha I think thats a cut up mattress topper on the left.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Well after some retardation (banks :argh: ), I finally got my first bike.

2008 Suzuki M50

I was wantin black because it didn't come in blue, and I'd get it painted later. But the black/yellow is pretty hot and I still have the option of repainting it.

Dat Kush
Aug 21, 2007

presidential shit

OniPanda posted:

2008 Suzuki M50

I was wantin black because it didn't come in blue, and I'd get it painted later. But the black/yellow is pretty hot and I still have the option of repainting it.

The blk/ylw looks good on that bike, i'd keep it. Congrats on the first bike.

insidion
Oct 26, 2004

I'm an evil wizard who just mastered the secrets of space-time... or something!

:hellyeah:

2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500LC

Cobra pipes, Cobra running boards, no name saddle bags and sissy bar w/ luggage rack, and on top of it all a bitchin' design.

It's a crazy paint job but it seems to help people notice me more so I'm OK with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It occurs to me that I havent really shown off my latest completed project, my 73 RD350.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I assembled it out of two boxes of parts in about 2 months. Its got pretty much every non-huge-undertaking type of engine mod you can do to an RD, and it makes quite a bit of power.

Its a bit like a bottle rocket though, as the powerband is so high in the revs and so short, it comes on strong though, and it pulls harder than my CB750 did. Its fun to ride, even though its too small for me. Its a very small bike, in person. RD's are based off of Yamahas TZ Grand Prix racer, so you have to be a 120lb Japanese guy to really "fit" on one. Due to its heritage though, it handles stupidly well, as well as my old DRZ-SM, which was lightyears ahead of this thing, technology-wise.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 27, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

Its a bit like a bottle rocket though, as the powerband is so high in the revs and so short, it comes on strong though, and it pulls harder than my CB750 did.

Mine is like this. Hill starts are hilarious.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

My first bike, a 1994 Yamaha Seca II. Got it just over a month ago. It is quite fun.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

OniPanda posted:

2008 Suzuki M50

Wow, that is really beautiful.

I messed up the looks of my '05 Red M50 by putting a sissy bar on and never cleaning it. I forgot how nice these bikes are.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Its a very small bike, in person. RD's are based off of Yamahas TZ Grand Prix racer, so you have to be a 120lb Japanese guy to really "fit" on one.

I kind of figured that was the case, as whenever I ride on the RD400, it feels like I'm seated on top of the bike, riding it like one would an especially temperamental pony. An uncivilized, little brute, that kicked at you any time you came near its pen, and darted from side to side as fast as its foul mood dictated. It's not the sort of thing that you can ride and not cackle out loud while doing so.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Simkin posted:

Public Lair: I have the same engine (well, except that mine's 738cc rather than 550) in my ZR-7S. All I have to say is: have fun adjusting the valves. :argh: Who puts the loving shims UNDER the buckets?

you don't roll with honda much do you?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheTrend posted:

Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha...:v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

TheTrend posted:

I've got a CBR125 and a VF500 sitting in my driveway that say otherwise. *shrug*

Adjusting the valves on the VF500 was sooooo much loving easier, since they are done via adjustment screws, so you never (in theory) need to add or remove any hardware from your bike. I say, in theory, because somehow those little fuckers got up and walked away of their own free will. :iiam:

Yeah, about the only thing I'm lacking right now are non-Japanese bikes. I guess if you were pedantic about it, the 125 could be considered Thai :laugh:

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

FireTora posted:

My first bike, a 1994 Yamaha Seca II. Got it just over a month ago. It is quite fun.

I had a faded red '92 as my first bike. Ahh memories.

I notice it's got the standard Seca II cheek rash. Mine had it and almost every Seca II I've ever seen has had it. :)

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

FunkyJunk posted:

I had a faded red '92 as my first bike. Ahh memories.

I notice it's got the standard Seca II cheek rash. Mine had it and almost every Seca II I've ever seen has had it. :)

Ya, the other side has basically that whole edge rashed up from the previous owner dropping it. But I don't mind, it looks good enough, runs well and its my first bike.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I just started riding 3 years ago and I'm still on my first bike: a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim. I originally bought it as a rusty old beater to learn on, but its odd late-UJM styling has grown on me.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I bought my first bike today!

$1500 2004 Ninja 250 with 7900 miles on craigslist from a guy actually named Craig. I emailed him about 6 minutes after his post, and was the first responder of like 30. :f5:

Both of the front blinkers have been broken off, the fairing on both sides needs replacing, and the side cover there needs replaced or reattached by some cheaper method. Otherwise I'm happy with its condition (it's fine mechanically). The 22 mile ride home was a blast! I've only been on a bike once since my MSF class last November, so I thought I'd be terrified the whole way. Everything seemed to come back pretty quick, though, and I had to make myself mentally check things taught in MSF. Also I accidentally did the n00b waive at a fellow rider when he waived going past. :downs:

I'm in no rush to replace the plastic (aside from getting that side panel to stay put, that's annoying), as I'm rather inexperienced. That would be an expensive lesson to not get ahead of myself.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

My bike, about a year after I got it. That's not me by the way, that's my sister, who's insistence to be put on my insurance actually saved me money. I've had it 18 months, done 1300 miles, crashed once, had it nicked once, fallen over once. I'm currently doing my DAS (failed the test today, had to rebook it for 2 weeks away) and having ridden a bigger bike (GS500), makes this one feel so light and nippy.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
What kind of fancy XR is that? I didn't think they had updated the headlight assembly very much. That looks kind of like a KLR now. My XR400 is more boxey and without fender flares (it's air cooled).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the Non-US XR, I believe. We get screwed with the older model.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, you think that's cool, you cats should look up the Yamaha Tenere.

eknomf
Jan 1, 2005
I just picked up this (71 Yamaha RT1, 6k miles) as my first bike about a week ago:

It's in great condition for being 37 years old, seems really easy to ride, and was cheap enough that I won't be devastated if I do crash it into something. Plus I love the 2 strokes...

eknomf fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eknomf posted:

I just picked up this (71 Yamaha RT1, 6k miles) as my first bike about a week ago:

It's in great condition for being 37 years old, seems really easy to ride, and was cheap enough that I won't be devastated if I do crash it into something. Plus I love the 2 strokes...

I had a 360 RT3, what a bike. It got crashed into something.