Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Carbohydrates posted:

Just got here today, about a half hour ago:

Now for the agonizing wait until I can take it home and plug it in. Besides the obvious, I'd say the most unique feature of this guitar is how goddamn light it is- way less than my ash tele.

edit: Forgot to mention what exactly it is: Les Paul Standard Blonde Beauty!

Absolute beaut. I don't usually like LPs, but every once in awhile I see one that makes me wish I had one. Yours is definitely one of those.

About the lightness, the chambering that Gibson does makes them eerily light despite their big appearance. Some people go apeshit over "swiss cheese holes in the guitar," but frankly I think it not only improves the sound with modern wood, but also helps make it a more balanced instrument to play. No complaints here about chambering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I put new pickups in my SX! Power rails in the bridge and a fat paf in the neck, sounds really good for the price.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

No harm done, I have 5 days to try it out. I'll take it back to the shop then.

Followed the link for the Brian May, but if I'm going to spend $200 on new, I might as well find a decent short-scale used for $400ish.

I know there was a huge thread on short-scale guitars about a year ago. Anyone got a rough, rough summary? Looking for something with short scale so I can do open tunings without having to stretch my hand hugely from D to A. And decent options, used in the $400ish range or less? Hopefully by that price there'll be a few options that are semi-decent.

You can get a mid-90's Fender Duo-Sonic for around $200. The tuners and pickups are crap, but if you replace them you've got a decent shortscale.

Any USA-made Fender shortscale in playable condition is going to be $800+, so that's probably out of the question.

I think the new Gibson Melody Makers are shortscale to some extent, and those are only $300-400.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

I think the new Gibson Melody Makers are shortscale to some extent, and those are only $300-400.

24.75" same as any other Gibson

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Chows posted:

24.75" same as any other Gibson

Huh, just looked it up and you're right. I could have sworn that it was shorter than that.

Also, Squier makes a mini strat that is 22.75" scale, and Ibanez has the 22.2" Micro. They're both really cheapo ($100-150) guitars, but if you're looking for shortscales under $400 there just aren't that many choices out there. I played with a Squier Mini a GC once and it didn't seem like an abysmal guitar or anything.

The Ibanez does look pretty sweet imo:

e: TapTheForwardAssist, are you in Houston by any chance? I saw an Epiphone exactly like that in a pawn shop along I10 the other day.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 20, 2008

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Carbohydrates posted:

Just got here today, about a half hour ago:

Now for the agonizing wait until I can take it home and plug it in. Besides the obvious, I'd say the most unique feature of this guitar is how goddamn light it is- way less than my ash tele.

edit: Forgot to mention what exactly it is: Les Paul Standard Blonde Beauty!

Now my keyboard's all sticky...

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

AstroZamboni posted:

Now my keyboard's all sticky...

^ This is proof that ML is the Wild West of posting, where anything can be said or done.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Huh, just looked it up and you're right. I could have sworn that it was shorter than that.
There were some short scale Melody Makers produced in the '50s & '60s, something like 18".

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

I just bought this for my horn (trombone) from a buddy of mine. He doesn't play anymore. Essentially a $225 piece of metal for $100.

For those of you uninitiated, it is a leadpipe.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Got this last weekend, it's going in a GCB-95 with a switch between the original inductor and the new one. I'm a little sceptical of the difference it'll make.

bsmack
Dec 12, 2003

First time DJ, that's my roommate in the picture. I got:
2 technics 1200 M3D (used)
vestax PMC 05 Pro III VC (new)
serato scratch live (new)
2 event TR5s (used)

I've had the macbook for awhile as well as the headphones (HD280s). Figure if I'm going to make the investment I might as well do it right the first time!

bsmack fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 22, 2008

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

hot. someone get this + real pickups.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Custom built Ron Kirn 'T-Style'... completely hand built by a master craftsman. She's an incredible feeling and sounding guitar.

His site: http://www.ronkirn.com

A really great 'build' thread by Ron that convinced me to order a guitar from him: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/104487-ok-so-i-promised-here-ya.html

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

wilkenm posted:

Custom built Ron Kirn 'T-Style'... completely hand built by a master craftsman. She's an incredible feeling and sounding guitar.

A really great 'build' thread by Ron that convinced me to order a guitar from him: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/104487-ok-so-i-promised-here-ya.html

Holy boners! :gizz:
That is loving stunning! Mind telling us what that set you back?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

wilkenm posted:

The only thing holding me back from ordering one of this guy's guitars it that he uses loving Papyrus as the font in his headstock logo. :argh:

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Gramps posted:

... Mind telling us what that set you back?

$1750 for mine... base price for a tele is $1500, I added a rosewood fret board and a marykaye finishto bring it up to $1750.

Compared to what a Fender Custom Shop guitar costs, this is an absolute steal.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Handen posted:

The only thing holding me back from ordering one of this guy's guitars it that he uses loving Papyrus as the font in his headstock logo. :argh:
I skimmed the build thread on the Fender page and this annoyed me too. His attention to detail is absolutely astounding, though.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Handen posted:

It's a custom built guitar. You can have him write "dicknipples" in comic sans on there if you want to.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Carbohydrates posted:

I skimmed the build thread on the Fender page and this annoyed me too. His attention to detail is absolutely astounding, though.

At least SOMEBODY knows what the gently caress. :hfive:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Man, that is a lovely custom. I've already decided that my first custom will be a Schecter USA custom shop guitar, but I'm wondering if that might be a bit premature seeing how great his strats look. I assume he'd be happy to do a SSH?

I figured since I picked up the Digitech Metal Master, a digital high gain distortion pedal, I ought to be fair to the low gain side of things and buy a digital overdrive/distortion. As it happens, this is a really great sounding pedal that covers quite a lot of tonal range, sort of like a cross between an OD-1/OD-3 and a DS-1. The difference between it and the Boss analog dirt boxes is that this apparently uses one of Boss/Roland's COSM technologies, the "Dyna Amp," which gives their modelers and modeling amps (and now, at least one small form factor pedal) the ability to have two different algorithms depending on the level of the input signal. On their multieffects processors, this means the ability to use (for example) a Marshall JCM800 when you dig in, but a Fender Bassman when you play softly. I've used them in the past and the technology isn't perfect, but it's pretty effective and can be useful if you're careful with your playing dynamics.

This pedal is more forgiving than that, in my opinion, with a pretty much totally transparent transition from the higher gain to the lower gain dirt algorithm. The sounds are not wildly different, and the relative gain of each is controlled well by the single, familiar Drive control. The layout, as you can see, is just like any other Boss three-knob dirt pedal, and you wouldn't have any trouble with it. In fact, if you didn't know it was digital, I doubt you'd guess it just by tone alone - there isn't any noticeable aliasing (my ears are pretty sensitive to that, too; even analog delays' aliasing bothers me), I can't pick out any other artifacts, it's just a typical overdrive except it achieves a smooth tone that responds exceptionally well to picking dynamics.

This is my favorite digital lower gain dirt pedal, so I finally decided to go buy one, and the Metal Master is my favorite digital high gain pedal (and it's on the way now). I don't think there is any room on my pedal board for other digital pedals unless they just blow me away, which none have so far.

On an unrelated note, given how incredibly awesome the inexpensive Digitech Bad Monkey (seriously, my favorite TS-type overdrive that I've ever heard; one of my just-plain-favorite overdrives, for the price or otherwise) there might be some room on my board for more Digitech analog pedals - I've gotta try the Blues one, in particular. Screw the Death Metal, that thing sounds like bitter, sour rear end, and I'm not 100% sold on the Hot Head but I liked it when I played it last time. Anyone have any experience with the other Digitech analog pedals?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

Screw the Death Metal, that thing sounds like bitter, sour rear end,

Considering the name, it's probably supposed to.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Handen posted:

That and the laminated card under the neck plate.

The worst part is if he just got rid of the bit in papyrus, "signature", the initals he has for the rest of the logo would look pretty much perfect by itself.

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

My ex girlfriend actually owns one of those ibanez mikros and mixed with a line 6 spider combo, it sounds great. The only thing id change right away is the tuning machines. Its a solid guitar overall though I wouldn't mind owning one for shits and giggles.

Fiat Club
Sep 10, 2007
welcome bearsuit spacehotel

BLUE Woodpecker

The best part is I'm not even paying a single cent for it :D.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bearsuit Spacehotel posted:

BLUE Woodpecker

There's a little bit of me that hates you right now, but congrats on that.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Alright, here's a clip of the Dyna Drive. Noise floor is stupid high because I was recording this at 12:30 last night after my wife had gone to bed, and to bring it up to level I was having to really crank my mic preamp.

This was a fun excercise for me, because I don't usually use it like this (I use it in front of other pedals to improve their dynamics and add more compression/distortion). I actually really like the lead tone this gives, very '80s guitar hero-esque. I think it sounds a tad like Satriani, though not exactly, and of course there isn't any processing of the sound (and it goes without saying that I'm no Joe Satriani on the guitar). The rhythm is a bit congested, in my opinion, though it's a sound that could be used... Still, this has "lead" written all over it, if you ask me.

Settings on the pedal were Volume at noon (~unity), tone dimed, gain dimed. Ah, the joys of a simple pedal.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

(Against a busy background but it was the only place the sun was coming in)

Awesome little guitar. It's light, comfortable, and the neck feels great.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Thank you UPS man (and Minto Took)!

She fits right in with the others. Finally my 60s Strat has a sunburst buddy :toot:

Wait, there's something rattling around in this case... gently caress I hope something isn't broken in th-

Bonus homebrew pedal!

He fits right in too. Thanks Minto :hfive:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

mono posted:

new toys

Glad you like them. :)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

attack plan r posted:

:swoon:

Parkers make my dream guitars. Although some don't like the look, I think they're loving gorgeous. How much did that baby end up costing?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

a parker was my dream guitar

lefty :smith:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

mono posted:

How about a picture of that tele by itself? :gizz:

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

The Dark Wind posted:

:swoon:

Parkers make my dream guitars. Although some don't like the look, I think they're loving gorgeous. How much did that baby end up costing?

It cost $350 (plus outrageous 10.25% Chicago sales tax :() used, though the shop could have sold it as new and I would have had a hard time telling the difference - the plastic was still on the control cavity and battery covers, for example. It's a P-40, which is discontinued. I couldn't find much information about it online, but asked about it on Harmony Central where some posters said that $350 was about average price for it. Even if I didn't get the best deal, it was worth it since I really love the guitar.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to afford a Fly!

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Costello Jello posted:

How about a picture of that tele by itself? :gizz:

I put it together with roughly $700 in parts. It's an American Standard neck on a Highway One body. :swoon:

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Bearsuit Spacehotel posted:

BLUE Woodpecker

How are you getting a thousand-dollar ribbon mic for free?

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
Finally, I can start posting in this thread.

Bought this off another goon after basically stealing it from him for months:

It's a Perl Forum series kit. I'm taking the wrap off the drums and refinishing them. The snare already looks better IMO:

wahoo.

Fiat Club
Sep 10, 2007
welcome bearsuit spacehotel

mr_package posted:

How are you getting a thousand-dollar ribbon mic for free?

The joys of being a signed artist. I was surprised myself, when I heard "we should get you a new mic" I expected like $250-300, certainly not $1000. It's an investment into, you know, recording releasable stuff though. Should pay itself off in the long run. I'm pumped though, should be coming in the next week or two.

kahm posted:

Finally, I can start posting in this thread.

Bought this off another goon after basically stealing it from him for months:

It's a Perl Forum series kit. I'm taking the wrap off the drums and refinishing them. The snare already looks better IMO:

wahoo.

drat am I jealous of this though. I've always wanted a really basic kit like this to gently caress around on.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

attack plan r posted:

Is.... is that a reflection of people loving in the finish?

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Newest purchase: EH Metal Muff, $40CDN sealed in the box. I love stupid people. This is the only half-decent picture of it that I have... and it's not that great.

The pedal is AMAZING though. To be honest, I don't find myself using the Top Boost feature very often.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Metal muff is a really nice high gain pedal, based on the DOD/Digitech Grunge circit but far and away better than that, er, interesting pedal. I'll be getting another, I don't remember why I sold mine but it was loving stupid. I'll also be getting another Marshall Guv'Nor, what the hell was I thinking when I sold those two pedals? Argh.

I did like the Top Boost, instant Dimebag solo tone.