Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magic_toaster
Dec 26, 2003
No.

magic_toaster posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but:

I'm in the process of selling my iPod Touch, and have a few questions. If I sell this, what do I need to do to rid all personal information? Can I just Reset it? Is my serial number registered with Apple?

Secondly, I just updated to 2.0 (before I realized I was selling it). Can I sell it with 2.0 on it, so that it registers with someone else's iTunes account and not mine any more?

Thanks in advance!

^ can anyone help me out with this? I'm selling this soon and am wondering what is going to happen. D:

*edit* I'm an idiot. It stays when you erase it and can be transferred. Oops. :)

magic_toaster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gork da Ork
Jul 26, 2008
How efficient is the web browsing compared to a computer? (What percentage of tasks that you normally do in firefox/IE can you comfortably do on the iTouch?) Are there any problems with small screen size, or rendering glitches, or inability to input things?
How difficult is typing? Can you comfortably answer emails/post on forums? Perform administrative tasks through SSH/telnet? Chat on MSN/IRC? Jot down notes even?

I see that there are applications that do all those things, but are they user-friendly enough to approach their desktop counterparts in utility? This gadget looks like something out of a sci-fi novel, so I'm wondering if it's too good to be true.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gork da Ork posted:

How efficient is the web browsing compared to a computer? (What percentage of tasks that you normally do in firefox/IE can you comfortably do on the iTouch?) Are there any problems with small screen size, or rendering glitches, or inability to input things?
How difficult is typing? Can you comfortably answer emails/post on forums? Perform administrative tasks through SSH/telnet? Chat on MSN/IRC? Jot down notes even?

I see that there are applications that do all those things, but are they user-friendly enough to approach their desktop counterparts in utility? This gadget looks like something out of a sci-fi novel, so I'm wondering if it's too good to be true.

In my opinion (and somewhat limited experience with other devices) it's better than any other mobile device, but a few fair steps below an actual PC.

Writing emails is no problem*. Posting on forums can sometimes take a little fiddling with your view, since by default you sometimes don't see the reply box when you start typing. I find typing relatively effortless, but obviously it's not as easy as with a full-size keyboard. Can't comment on SSH/telnet/MSN/IRC.

* Asterisk because there's no cut, copy, or paste function. Also, no Flash support, so that limits your browsing.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In my opinion (and somewhat limited experience with other devices) it's better than any other mobile device, but a few fair steps below an actual PC.

Writing emails is no problem*. Posting on forums can sometimes take a little fiddling with your view, since by default you sometimes don't see the reply box when you start typing. I find typing relatively effortless, but obviously it's not as easy as with a full-size keyboard. Can't comment on SSH/telnet/MSN/IRC.

* Asterisk because there's no cut, copy, or paste function. Also, no Flash support, so that limits your browsing.

I agree completely with this post.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Are there widespread problems with the audio jack on the iPod Touch? Mine worked fine last Friday when I was using it in the car, but I went for a run today with it and the audio is all messed up. The vocals are quiet and pretty much all I get is the lead guitar sound.

I can't figure out why it'd be messed up all of a sudden. Luckily I'm still under warranty - if I take it to an Apple Store will they exchange it, or will they have to send it back for repair? If I'm not going to get mine back, I want to make sure to wipe it of all personal information, so I'd like to know what to expect from the people at the Apple Store before I go up there.

DJ_Flipped
Nov 1, 2003

Seven Minutes to Midnight...

LordOfThePants posted:

Are there widespread problems with the audio jack on the iPod Touch? Mine worked fine last Friday when I was using it in the car, but I went for a run today with it and the audio is all messed up. The vocals are quiet and pretty much all I get is the lead guitar sound.

I can't figure out why it'd be messed up all of a sudden. Luckily I'm still under warranty - if I take it to an Apple Store will they exchange it, or will they have to send it back for repair? If I'm not going to get mine back, I want to make sure to wipe it of all personal information, so I'd like to know what to expect from the people at the Apple Store before I go up there.

What happens to the sound when you gently wiggle the cable around where it goes in the jack? Does the plug have any resistance when you plug it in? Also, I would check EQ settings to make sure nothing is fubar in there. A friend's ipod had a problem with the headphone jack, turns out it went out completely. The ipod is a pretty hefty piece of hardware considering the slim profile it has. It feels like there's a little less structural support for the headphone jack on the touch compared to the newer nanos and whatnot.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

DJ_Flipped posted:

What happens to the sound when you gently wiggle the cable around where it goes in the jack? Does the plug have any resistance when you plug it in? Also, I would check EQ settings to make sure nothing is fubar in there. A friend's ipod had a problem with the headphone jack, turns out it went out completely. The ipod is a pretty hefty piece of hardware considering the slim profile it has. It feels like there's a little less structural support for the headphone jack on the touch compared to the newer nanos and whatnot.

I had started running when I noticed it and the first thing I did was to pull the headphones and plug them in again. When I was unplugging them there was a fraction of a second where everything was normal, but I can't repeat it. I checked the EQ settings to make sure it was off, and it was.

I'll take it in to the apple store this weekend, hopefully they can fix it.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Is it safe to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes (7.7) if you have a jailbroken 2.0 right now?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ohnoitschris posted:

Is it safe to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes (7.7) if you have a jailbroken 2.0 right now?

I'm running 7.7 and jb2.0 right now. Can't remember which one I upgraded last (may have had 7.7 installed before I jailbroke).

Nick VTX
May 16, 2002
Anyone using a portable mini speaker with their Touch that they would be happy recommending?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
iTunes is telling me 2.02 is out now. Anybody know what's new this release?

foxbert
Apr 5, 2003

Nick VTX posted:

Anyone using a portable mini speaker with their Touch that they would be happy recommending?

I got two of these from Woot a few months ago. They were designed for use with cellphones. They're small, charge by USB, and are decently loud. Search for "LG Portable Speaker" on eBay, they're about $10-15. They retail for about $50 anywhere else.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of speakers, I asked about some a few weeks ago and I think I found exactly what I was looking for (small, plug-in speakers that aren't great, but enough to give audio to hear while being small enough to not be clunky). I found these.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bink posted:

iTunes is telling me 2.02 is out now. Anybody know what's new this release?

Just bugfixes, stability increase etc. No new features. My touch will still crash back to springboard on occasion even on 2.02, so there are still issues (unless it is just my iPod).

2.02 is fully jailbreakable also.

Mook
Sep 24, 2002
This is probably a dumb question, but maybe you guys can help me out.

I just bought an ipod touch 16gb for my girlfriend.

I want to put some songs, movies and pictures on it to kind of personalize it.

She has a macbook, I have a PC with vista and XP on it.

Can I put movies/music/pictures on it, and then give it to her? I'm afraid its going to be associated with my pc and not let her use it or something when I associate it with her mac.

I'm pretty ipod retarded, sorry.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
What is stopping you from simply moving the files onto her library?

Mook
Sep 24, 2002

1karus posted:

What is stopping you from simply moving the files onto her library?

Probably nothing? I admit I don't really understand how itunes and everything works. Can i move items from the ipod onto her mac? or do I have to copy everything to her mac directly from my PC? or can I just leave it and if she ever deletes it oh well?

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
e: fixed for now.

Litch991 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 26, 2008

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Mook posted:

Probably nothing? I admit I don't really understand how itunes and everything works. Can i move items from the ipod onto her mac? or do I have to copy everything to her mac directly from my PC? or can I just leave it and if she ever deletes it oh well?

An iPod is "assigned" to a computer, and it can only sync with that computer. If she wants to put new stuff on there through her macbook, she'll have to assign the iPod to sync with her own computer, which would erase everything already on the iPod.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

CanuckBassist posted:

An iPod is "assigned" to a computer, and it can only sync with that computer. If she wants to put new stuff on there through her macbook, she'll have to assign the iPod to sync with her own computer, which would erase everything already on the iPod.

Not really. This is only true if you want the ipod to sync a folder's contents. Most people prefer to drag and drop.

If you choose "Manually Manage Files On This Ipod" in itunes, you can drag and drop files from any folder on your PC, or from your itunes library to her ipod, and as long as she has the same setting active on her itunes she can add and delete tracks manually on her computer as well.

With just that setting enabled, the ipod can be a completely drag and drop device.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 26, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Owsla posted:

Not really. This is only true if you want the ipod to sync a folder's contents. Most people prefer to drag and drop.

If you choose "Manually Manage Files On This Ipod" in itunes, you can drag and drop files from any folder on your PC, or from your itunes library to her ipod, and as long as she has the same setting active on her itunes she can add and delete tracks manually on her computer as well.

With just that setting enabled, the ipod can be a completely drag and drop device.

That method means your iPod is basically a big Shuffle, though, doesn't it? What I mean is, can you use drag and drop and still have playlists?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I make 'on the go' playlists all the time and I've always manually managed files, is there a sync only playlist feature I'm missing out on?

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That method means your iPod is basically a big Shuffle, though, doesn't it? What I mean is, can you use drag and drop and still have playlists?

uh, yes.

you can drag and drop playlists you make in iTunes, or smart playlists you make, and they'll move over to the iPod.

You can also sync only a playlist or a set of playlists.

This stuff is all incredibly basic. You'd laugh at someone who asked if you could do basic stuff in Windows Explorer, but somehow it's cool to be ignorant about iTunes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

friendship waffle posted:

uh, yes.

you can drag and drop playlists you make in iTunes, or smart playlists you make, and they'll move over to the iPod.

You can also sync only a playlist or a set of playlists.

This stuff is all incredibly basic. You'd laugh at someone who asked if you could do basic stuff in Windows Explorer, but somehow it's cool to be ignorant about iTunes.

Never had a reason to do it, so I never tried. That's why, you know, I asked a question.

And, the reason I thought you might not be able to drag playlists is because I was thinking of non-Touch iPods where, when you set it up correctly, your iPod shows up as a drive in Explorer, so I figured he meant dragging a playlist from iTunes and dropping it in Explorer, which didn't seem like it would work.

TronJavolta
Mar 9, 2007

Aww Geez...
Just got a 16gig touch and I love it. I read through all the pages of the thread but upgraded it to 2.0.2 before I finished and think I made a mistake. Am I able to jailbreak it in its current state or do I have to downgrade it? If so, how?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
2.02 is fine for jailbreaking, no downgrading needed.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/46800837/my-little-pwnies-dressage

Files and instructions available there.

TronJavolta
Mar 9, 2007

Aww Geez...

RandomCheese posted:

2.02 is fine for jailbreaking, no downgrading needed.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/46800837/my-little-pwnies-dressage

Files and instructions available there.

Thanks for this. I downloaded it and everything and tried running it. At one point it asks me to browse for firmware. I'm not sure exactly where to find this. Sorry to be a pain and any help would be appreciated. I just want to jailbreak the little guy.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

TronJavolta posted:

Thanks for this. I downloaded it and everything and tried running it. At one point it asks me to browse for firmware. I'm not sure exactly where to find this. Sorry to be a pain and any help would be appreciated. I just want to jailbreak the little guy.

I couldn't find that file either, so I went to %popular-Pirate-Site% and found it there. It felt kind of stupid to "pirate" a file that I am legally entitled to, but it worked and was pretty easy. :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It sounds like that method uses an "official" firmware file. If that's the case, and if you're on Windows XP (and update to 2.0.2 normally through iTunes), then the file will be found in

c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Apple Computer\Itunes\iPod Software Updates

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates is where the file lives in Vista. If you still can't find it then search for *.ipsw in explorer and it should show up.

TronJavolta
Mar 9, 2007

Aww Geez...
I found them on XP. I installed it and it completed. I tried using the installer and a list of a few items appeared to install. I tried it but not of them worked. Anyone else have this problem?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Installer is notoriusly buggy in 2.0, I don't even have it on my iPod currently, but a friend of mine has the latest version of Installer and it seem to run a bit better. Try Cydia, see if you can find what you're looking for in there.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Is there some better way besides using the keyboard to enter your WPA password? I changed the channel my Wifi router operated on and now my iPod thinks it's a different network and I'm really not looking forward to retyping the long cryptic password and hoping to get it right the first time.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LordOfThePants posted:

Is there some better way besides using the keyboard to enter your WPA password? I changed the channel my Wifi router operated on and now my iPod thinks it's a different network and I'm really not looking forward to retyping the long cryptic password and hoping to get it right the first time.

Better like what? Thinking about the password really hard and hoping it appears on screen? The keyboard is really the only way to input any text, but when you type in the key it will show you the last character you entered with the previous ones becoming *, so if you watch what you are doing there shouldn't be any mistakes.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

RandomCheese posted:

Better like what? Thinking about the password really hard and hoping it appears on screen? The keyboard is really the only way to input any text, but when you type in the key it will show you the last character you entered with the previous ones becoming *, so if you watch what you are doing there shouldn't be any mistakes.

I was hoping there's a way to input it into iTunes - like you can with email accounts.

I spent probably 15 minutes entering and re-entering that stupid key until I realized that since I got it exchanged under warranty the MAC address is different now and I had to set my router to allow it. Got it on the second try after that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am wanting to jailbreak my Touch, but it's 2.0 firmware and Pwnage Tool won't allow me to jailbreak. But whenever I check for firmware updates in iTunes, it tells me that 2.0 is current and there are no downloads. Where the hell do I update to 2.02?

Edit: I'm on OS X if that helps.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
I'm a jailbreaking scrub, just got my Itouch 16gb and upgraded to 2.0.2. If I'm planning to jailbreak, where's a good place to find apps or a list of apps available?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Litch991 posted:

I'm a jailbreaking scrub, just got my Itouch 16gb and upgraded to 2.0.2. If I'm planning to jailbreak, where's a good place to find apps or a list of apps available?

If you jailbreak with pwnage tool, you'll get an app called Cydia. From that you'll get a list of apps you can install, similar to the official app store. You don't have to go out and find apps on the internet and then put them on the touch.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

loving JACKALOPE! posted:

I am wanting to jailbreak my Touch, but it's 2.0 firmware and Pwnage Tool won't allow me to jailbreak. But whenever I check for firmware updates in iTunes, it tells me that 2.0 is current and there are no downloads. Where the hell do I update to 2.02?

Edit: I'm on OS X if that helps.

Do you have the latest version of iTunes? I was trying to buy the 2.0 update a few weeks ago and it wouldn't offer it to me. I must have clicked "Don't ask me again to upgrade iTunes" because I didn't realize there was a new version.

Eventually I figured it out when I followed a link on the iPod Touch webpage to buy the 2.0 update and it told me I needed to upgrade iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
So it sounds like Apple is refreshing their product line-up very soon.

http://gizmodo.com/5044358/new-ipods-coming-on-september-9-apple-lets-rock-event

I hope there is something that is better than this, but if there isn't then it's no big deal.

• Locked thread