Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

AstroZamboni posted:

Is.... is that a reflection of people loving in the finish?

I was wearing shorts so I think it's a combination of a leg + arm that was holding camera. It looks weird, I know, but I was borrowing a camera and only got one shot. I just wanted SOMETHING other than a stock photo.

who cares fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stop Motion Dong
Jun 11, 2007
Can anyone recommend me a sweet delay pedal? I was looking at the MXR Carbon Copy, but I really have no clue. I'm looking to have a good solo tone a la David Gilmour.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Stop Motion Dong posted:

Can anyone recommend me a sweet delay pedal? I was looking at the MXR Carbon Copy, but I really have no clue. I'm looking to have a good solo tone a la David Gilmour.

From the product description of the Carbon Copy:

The Carbon Copy effect pedal will take you from crisp "bathroom" slap echoes to epic, Gilmour-esque delays with a twist of a knob.

I think it might be the right pedal for you.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Hey Agreed, better grab some Aspirin because you're about to have a heart attack:

"OpenStomp Coyote-1 open-source guitar pedal now shipping"
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/25/openstomp-coyote-1-open-source-guitar-pedal-now-shipping/

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Oh, poo poo, I want one of those. That's even cooler than the Line6 one in the works. drat drat drat, that's hot!

I need to check out its full specs, but I have a feeling this is going to be absolutely huge when some talented people get their hands on it.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Uh... I wonder if the makers of OpenStomp are going to cry when someone tells them about FPGAs.

You could probably churn out the same pedals using FPGA technology for about $50, if that. And they'd be capable of far more stuff.

I actually kind of want to do that now, because it seems really loving easy.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I just picked up a pretty lovely drumkit for free from my buddy. It's a TRAK kit, with busted skins, no cymbals and it looks like the sides of the drums are warped. I'll take another picture when I can get my mitts on a camera, but I'm just going to wonder if the warpage is going to render the set useless. It looks like someone left it out in the sun or something.

I didn't even get them to play, I just want to learn how to tune them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

pennywisdom posted:

I just picked up a pretty lovely drumkit for free from my buddy. It's a TRAK kit, with busted skins, no cymbals and it looks like the sides of the drums are warped. I'll take another picture when I can get my mitts on a camera, but I'm just going to wonder if the warpage is going to render the set useless. It looks like someone left it out in the sun or something.

I didn't even get them to play, I just want to learn how to tune them.

Can I have your room please?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
This:

I hope I can find some use out of it live, Im just worried that I cant tap in the speed...

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This:

I hope I can find some use out of it live, Im just worried that I cant tap in the speed...

What in the world is this and why does it have so many buttons?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

It's a ZVEX seekwah. Those aren't buttons, they're knobs. Each knob is like the pot in a wah pedal. You set the knobs to whatever frequency you like and the pedal steps through them, giving you some whacked out sounds in the process.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This:

Oh baby! Awesome pedal!
http://media1.zvex.com/oohwah.mov

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Schatten posted:

Oh baby! Awesome pedal!
http://media1.zvex.com/oohwah.mov

The link you posted is for the ooh wah, which is pretty much the same thing, just that it includes an option to step between the little wah circuits in a random pattern. The seek wah only goes in a linear fashion

I am excited about it. I wonder if it has an on-off LED? Some of the older ZVEX stuff doesnt seem to have on-off LEDs. Anyone out there have one of these that can confirm it for me?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I am excited about it. I wonder if it has an on-off LED? Some of the older ZVEX stuff doesnt seem to have on-off LEDs. Anyone out there have one of these that can confirm it for me?
Wouldn't the blinking lights showing where in the pattern you are be a good indication for on/off?

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

pennywisdom posted:

PICTURES AND WORDS

What's up with that SG??

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

The classic shaved SG!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

ForbiddenWonder posted:

The classic shaved SG!

No! Don't call it classic. The '52 telecaster is a classic. The shaved SG is an abomination upon God. (no offense guy who owns SG).

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

cylyk posted:

What's up with that SG??

She is in the OP in the gear trades thread, check it out.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

No! Don't call it classic. The '52 telecaster is a classic. The shaved SG is an abomination upon God. (no offense guy who owns SG).

Classic to ML :eng101:

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Yesterday:
"Man it would be great if there was like little mini midi controllers of individual parts instead of having them all bundled into one unit"

Today:
http://www.dv247.com/news/KorgNanoSeries/131777

I'll probably have to see if I can play around with them but they're an alright price assuming the build quality is OK so I'll probably pick at least one up.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008

This, as a wedding gift (which is saturday). Getting it sometime next week. Can't wait!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Just the case. It's a Jackson case that normally goes for $115 and I managed to get one on clearance for $25 at Guitar Center today because it was a little scratched up. Go figure.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Here's my new practice amp. It has some mold growing on the inside, and you have to set the treble in one exact place to make it work, but other than that it's great!

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Juaguocio posted:

Here's my new practice amp. It has some mold growing on the inside, and you have to set the treble in one exact place to make it work, but other than that it's great!

TUBE BLASTER DRIVE

:hellyeah:

schnarf
Jun 1, 2002
I WIN.

ZombiePeanut posted:

Uh... I wonder if the makers of OpenStomp are going to cry when someone tells them about FPGAs.

You could probably churn out the same pedals using FPGA technology for about $50, if that. And they'd be capable of far more stuff.

I actually kind of want to do that now, because it seems really loving easy.
Yeah, the specs on that are pretty lame. It doesn't seem like the chip is really a decent DSP. It's unfortunate that the good DSPs have licensing issues -- for example to develop code for the Analog Devices DSPs, you need to buy a very expensive compiler/IDE suite, so I guess it's hard to make a good open-source DSP platform.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Speaking of open source pedals- line 6 is selling one also, and theirs is dirt cheap- 200 bucks for the software, the dock (which looks like one of their compact pedals), and a module, and additional modules are 35 bucks. Looks pretty awesome. Check it out.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Gramps posted:

Speaking of open source pedals- line 6 is selling one also, and theirs is dirt cheap- 200 bucks for the software, the dock (which looks like one of their compact pedals), and a module, and additional modules are 35 bucks. Looks pretty awesome. Check it out.

Now that's loving rad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gramps posted:

windows only but otherwise that's totally loving sweet

OCG
Jul 15, 2004
I made a couple of additions to my drumset yesterday:

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute

The guy who had this before stole it from the shop and carved his initials into it. You can see them in the pic. It's basically a new snare with those letters carved into it, and the shop knocked $170 off the normal price because of it. It's an amazing sounding snare, with a thick, warm tone that sounds good no matter how it's tuned.

Zildjian K Custom 20" Medium Ride

Got this as an alternative to my A Custom Ping Ride. It's a nice change after that ride. This one is much darker and less overpowering.

My Current Drumset

It's a Yamaha Stage Custom set with mostly A Custom cymbals.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

OCG posted:

It's a Yamaha Stage Custom set with mostly A Custom cymbals.

you and i have amazingly similar cymbals, i love that china and that k ride is sweeeeeeet so much body

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Gramps posted:

Yeah, that looks like it's designed about a gazillion times better than the other one.

edit: and you can write your effects in C. Sign me the gently caress up. It's like the random crossover wet dream for people who are both guitar players and software engineers. Like me.

VV :crossarms::hf::banjo:

ZombiePeanut fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 27, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

Yeah, that looks like it's designed about a gazillion times better than the other one.

edit: and you can write your effects in C. Sign me the gently caress up. It's like the random crossover wet dream for people who are both guitar players and software engineers. Like me.

'Sup engineering musician buddy? :hfive:

/edit: To contribute...

One of these would be pretty rad.

It's a theremin. To "play" it, you move hands/feet/whatever over the spherical antenna which alters the electromagnetic field around said antenna. Lots of weird noises can be made.

http://www.hiwatt.com/data/HiwattFX.html

Its like the grandpappy to the Thingamagoop.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 27, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

ZombiePeanut posted:

Doing DSP stuff in an FPGA would be dumb, you'd have to design a DSP in the FPGA and then program it, when you could just buy a DSP and a getter product faster and cheaper.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

mono posted:

TUBE BLASTER DRIVE

:hellyeah:

It sounds about as good as you can imagine. The best part is that I found the amp in a ravine.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the wizards beard posted:

Doing DSP stuff in an FPGA would be dumb, you'd have to design a DSP in the FPGA and then program it, when you could just buy a DSP and a getter product faster and cheaper.

Why would you program a DSP into the FPGA? The point is you could use it as effectively a programmable analog signal processor because the "hardware" is really software.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gramps posted:

You forgot to mention that you are allowed to put effects you make onto modules and then sell them, and that line6 supports this.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

ZombiePeanut posted:

Why would you program a DSP into the FPGA? The point is you could use it as effectively a programmable analog signal processor because the "hardware" is really software.

FPGAs give you programmable digital logic (if you read the wikipedia article you linked it says you can use them to link together logic gates to make more complex logic). The programmable analog stuff is really expensive and is relatively primitive.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the wizards beard posted:

FPGAs give you programmable digital logic (if you read the wikipedia article you linked it says you can use them to link together logic gates to make more complex logic). The programmable analog stuff is really expensive and is relatively primitive.

I know what FPGAs are by virtue of using them. The wikipedia link was just convenient.

The point is that you can make an FPGA operate on signals in a quasi-analog state since it's virtual hardware that's doing the work. You can effectively model analog circuits within the FPGA and switch them around in software and go between pathways by using switches attached to inputs on the processor. Instead of programmatically modifying the signal as DSPs do, you just cobble together virtual bits of "hardware" into a virtual circuit. It's not technically analog, but it's not the same as what a DSP does either, and it'd be way easier to do far more diverse things. Also pretty easy to make stuff that didn't work if you didn't know what you were doing.

You could also write a DSP into an FPGA, of course, but I have no idea why you'd do that.

This link briefly talks about the sort of thing I'm referring to.

It's basically creating a digital simulation circuit inside of pseudo-hardware so you get a quasi-analog sort of deal going.

ZombiePeanut fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 28, 2008

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

fender blues jr. with upgrades - celestion 70-eighty speaker, a presence tone pot that's been installed as well as a bright/gut switch which make it a lot more versatile than stock. i've only had a few minutes with her an i'm a happy man.

now i just need a quick refret and these put in:

family shot:

i am a happy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

butros posted:

fender blues jr. with upgrades - celestion 70-eighty speaker, a presence tone pot that's been installed as well as a bright/gut switch which make it a lot more versatile than stock. i've only had a few minutes with her an i'm a happy man.

now i just need a quick refret and these put in:

family shot:

i am a happy man.
P90s + tube amp = heaven

You better get clips up once they're in.