Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Red Flag! posted:

The woman had a deeper voice. The voice sounded almost exactly like Colbie Caillat, but the song was a little bit more rock and roll than she is.

With that in mind it's probably the song It's You by PJ Harvey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Future
Jul 22, 2007

Saving the cosmos one powerchord at a time

Jive One posted:

I'm almost positive this is Get Ready by, as you had guessed, The Temptations. The lyrics you stated match the chorus to a good degree as does the riff(although there are minor differences for each). I could be wrong on this but based on my knowledge of Motown this is the best suggestion I can give.

Just as an aside, since you don't have much exposure to Motown and since you liked this song, I have to suggest diving head-first into the label and its music. Their 60s and early 70s stuff is some of the best pop music ever written and you'll be amazed at how many songs you'll enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks!

While the song in question actually was 'get ready', I had heard a slightly rockier version. A quick google search leads me to believe that I had actually heard a cover by Rare Earth.

And I'll also be sure to look deeper into Motown. I've been meaning to do so for a long time, but never really knew where to start. Recently however, my mom uncovered her old vinyl collection, and since she grew up in Detroit, it has a huge amount of motown, funk, and soul singles. I'll be sure to give them a spin.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Ok, so this isn't actually a song, but a whole album. And it's not really even music, I guess, but this seemed like the best place to ask.

I had an old record when I was a kid with halloween sound effects on it. Not really all that spectacular, but on side 2, it had a story of a guy who's car breaks down or something, and he has to stay in an old haunted house. It was more of a radio dramatization, and not someone just telling a story. I remember there being a woman's voice saying "where's my baby?" but I really don't remember much else. It was really creepy...at least to my 5-year-old self. I think the front, or maybe the back, of the record sleeve had a picture of 3 witches around a cauldron.

I doubt I'll ever find this, but it's stuck in my head for over 20 years now, and I would love to find it again.

Holy crap I found it: http://headless-spectre-radio.blogspot.com/2006/06/halloween-horrors-1977-m-records-inc.html

The link to download is acting squirrley, though. Can anyone get it to work?

cindolent
Aug 28, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Video's removed, the only song I know called Together Forever is Rick Astley

The rick astley song is not the one I wanted. It's not the one I wanted at all. My ears are bleeding. But thanks anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpp_IYCbe0k
The video is NSFW

Here's the 'making of' video, the song still plays. As before, I assume it's called 'together forever' but it may also be a song specially written for the advertisement, any help is appreciated.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I feel like an idiot because I know this is a pretty famous song but I'm totally blanking on the lyrics to look it up. It's a 80s (70s maybe) song with a slow reggae beat and a singer with a very heavy British accent. I assumed it was by a bigger name 2-tone band, but I'm just not finding it.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ShutteredIn posted:

I feel like an idiot because I know this is a pretty famous song but I'm totally blanking on the lyrics to look it up. It's a 80s (70s maybe) song with a slow reggae beat and a singer with a very heavy British accent. I assumed it was by a bigger name 2-tone band, but I'm just not finding it.

There's kind of a lot of things this could be, but if it's famous and not a 2-Tone band I would guess either Police & Thieves or Guns of Brixton by The Clash. Otherwise I would assume you're looking for a Specials song, the most famous would be Ghost Town.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

GimpChimp posted:

I would assume you're looking for a Specials song, the most famous would be Ghost Town.

This was it, thanks a ton!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Holy crap I found it: http://headless-spectre-radio.blogspot.com/2006/06/halloween-horrors-1977-m-records-inc.html

The link to download is acting squirrley, though. Can anyone get it to work?
Oddly enough I also have "fond" memories of this record. I found a working copy here. Enjoy.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Carl with a K posted:

A song that has the same melody as part of the Miley Cyrus song 7 Things I Hate About You

basically the song is most likely from the 90s by a band like Third Eye Blind or Blink 182, but it's probably neither of those bands

in the Miley Cyrus song, it's the part that starts with "I know I shouldn't say this"

that part has the exact same melody of the chorus of a song that I've been trying to name for a loving month
This is pretty much the exact same melody as "Torn", by the way. I still don't know what the gently caress the guitar line at like 1:35 is from though and it's making me mad.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Okay, this is a vague description and I apologize, but I was at a party and heard an awesome song and was hoping someone could tell me what it was. All I remember is the lyrics 'high as a kite' during two of the verses, 'yeah yeah yeah yeah' chanted sharply after the chorus a few times, a catchy bass riff and the first verse repeated in a whisper at one point. It was a pop/punk song.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
My friend and I have heard this song a million times. It starts just after a few seconds in this Harvey Birdman clip while Birdman is with the Cola.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=0ab4bd0d36714011c3300137600cf687

We've heard it used several places. I know it's a dumb song, but it's been bugging us forever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Okay, this is a vague description and I apologize, but I was at a party and heard an awesome song and was hoping someone could tell me what it was. All I remember is the lyrics 'high as a kite' during two of the verses, 'yeah yeah yeah yeah' chanted sharply after the chorus a few times, a catchy bass riff and the first verse repeated in a whisper at one point. It was a pop/punk song.
Most (but not all) of those elements are in "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes, though it's not really a pop/punk song

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
Ok, I feel really gay for this, but there was this song I heard in the 90s. It was a really chilled, laid back song, sort of electronic/dancy with a female vocalist. The vocals were a little deep in the mix, and the only thing I remember lyrically is something like "I'm like a butterfly" or "fly like a butterfly" I can't figure it out and it's bother me, because this song by the orb reminds me of it.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
What was that epic instrumental at the end of Obama's speech tonight?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Most (but not all) of those elements are in "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes, though it's not really a pop/punk song

Yeah, that's it. I dunno why I called it pop/punk, sorry.

Chamber 9 posted:

Ok, I feel really gay for this, but there was this song I heard in the 90s. It was a really chilled, laid back song, sort of electronic/dancy with a female vocalist. The vocals were a little deep in the mix, and the only thing I remember lyrically is something like "I'm like a butterfly" or "fly like a butterfly" I can't figure it out and it's bother me, because this song by the orb reminds me of it.

This it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_qwUS8Uqjg

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Yeah, that's it. I dunno why I called it pop/punk, sorry.

This it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_qwUS8Uqjg

Not that gay. Turned out to be Obsession by Animotion or something.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I completely forgot about this thread and my question is still unanswered, trying again:

Mirick posted:

OK, this has been plaguing me for loving ages. I was relaxing at home with a friend watching random music videos on VH1 when this one song came on, a song I knew but hadn't seen the video for. Now, I'm really only looking for the video but without knowing the song, that's impossible.. The video was about three young people - two guys, one girl - who take a roadtrip and go just drive around and hang out. The song should be from the 90s or something, probably not much in the way of lyrics - if there are they'll be repetative.

I'm sorry, that's all I have to go by. :( It was maybe.. electro-pop-ish?

edit:
The band may be French! Also, my friend thinks the two guys in the video MAY be a part of the band itself, which is apparently a duo. This is all according to him so I don't know if it's correct, but it's something else to go by.

Mirick posted:

Haha, no, that wasn't it at all. I might add that the people in the video don't sing the song themselves or anything, the camera just follows them around as they drive and chill out. And it may actually be early 2000s.

Just to clarify, I don't know whether or not the people in the video are in the actual band but in the video they don't sing or act as if they know they're in a music video, they just drive around and chill.

People have suggested the following so far:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrivjzw0RlI

- "This is 90's and has 2 Guys and a Girl in a car, and I could definitely see it on VH1... mebbe this is what you're looking for? Bass is Base - Funkmobile"

- OMC - How Bizarre?

- "You may also be thinking of "Da Da Da" by TRIO"

- "If that doesn't work I submit Len - Steal My Sunshine"

- "The only French electro-pop duo I can think of is Air, but none of their videos matches your description that well. Here's the Youtube channel for them anyway."

Unfortunately none of them are correct. :(

Opal fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 29, 2008

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Apple Jax posted:

My friend and I have heard this song a million times. It starts just after a few seconds in this Harvey Birdman clip while Birdman is with the Cola.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=0ab4bd0d36714011c3300137600cf687

We've heard it used several places. I know it's a dumb song, but it's been bugging us forever.

I would search Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 or Brasil '77 they do a few things that are close to that

Verve
Nov 19, 2005
I heard this song on a close-up toothpaste commercial in Indonesia.

The lyric is something like " Ahhhh ooooohhhh... what you do to me". The piano tune playing on the background is very similar to Coldplay - Clocks. It's not Teenage fanclub - What you do to me or Plain White T - Hey Delilah

I've asked around on Indonesian forums and no one had any idea what song it is. Unfortunately, no youtube video of the said commercial is available at the moment.

Any help is appreciated !

Verve fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 29, 2008

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
The song goes "I'M A HUNDRED PERCENT AND I'M MISREPRESENTED" x3 and then "HEY THATS ME, ROCKIN THE MUU MUU" x3 it was used in a show on San Francisco public access called Big In Japan.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqHGDpSXsKU

What's that song playing on the background in the beginning?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
OK not hoping for a lot here because lord knows I don't have a lot of info.

The song I'm looking for is a VERY famous 80s electro track in the vein of the Human League. It sounds like it might turn into 'don't you want me' at any moment but it isnt. The only remarkable thing about it that I can describe in words is that after the main 'riff' there is a rapid succession of electronic drum hits (7 I think) before it loops again.

Please help it's driving me insane.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Chamber 9 posted:

Not that gay. Turned out to be Obsession by Animotion or something.

Which is neither 90's nor laid back, but whatever!

(80's and very much electro/synthpop)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Nigel Tufnel posted:

OK not hoping for a lot here because lord knows I don't have a lot of info.

The song I'm looking for is a VERY famous 80s electro track in the vein of the Human League. It sounds like it might turn into 'don't you want me' at any moment but it isnt. The only remarkable thing about it that I can describe in words is that after the main 'riff' there is a rapid succession of electronic drum hits (7 I think) before it loops again.

Please help it's driving me insane.

New Order - Blue Monday

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
two making me nuts....

First, The cancelled NBC show The Black Donelleys ended every episode with this killer organ-driven insrumental. Damed if I know who did it or where to find it or what it is called. I'd love to use it for a ring tone.

Second...a somng that I thought was by Coyote Shivers where he sing's "everything's hosed....if my life's a movie/ I would walk out."

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Who sang "The People You Know"? It was some late 90's girl band I think. I remember most of the lyrics, but googling them gives me nothing.

"Found myself thinkin' 'bout you today
as I conjured your classic expression
nobody noticed me wearin' it
so I went on like it was mine.

At some point I heard the word 'time' slip out
with a thick Southern drawl like my girlfriend's
and I watched as my hands began tuggin' like mom's
and I really started freakin' out

Isn't it odd, take you and me
We're two little ants in one giant community
and whether it's fate or proximity
you're (something) by people, the people I'm
into, I miss you, yeah I feel akin to you"

And there's a few more verses. I just got a hankering to hear it again but I can't find it anywhere.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Mister Prostitute posted:

Robynn Ragland originally wrote and sang it but I don't know if that's the version you're looking for.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 30, 2014

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Jesto posted:

Got this from a thread on it's IMDB page:

The soundtrack isn't available, unfortunately. The original music is by Theodore Shapiro. The title song is called "What You Wonder" and it's by Theodore and Craig Wedren (from Shudder to Think.)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 30, 2014

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Oncogene posted:

Robynn Ragland originally wrote and sang it but I don't know if that's the version you're looking for.

That's the one! Thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

In Converge's The Saddest Day around 2:43 theres a riff that I swear I've heard somewhere else before, but I can't for the loving life of me figure out where its from. Any ideas?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Vegastar posted:

In Converge's The Saddest Day around 2:43 theres a riff that I swear I've heard somewhere else before, but I can't for the loving life of me figure out where its from. Any ideas?
I doubt we're on the same page here, but the vibe I got was "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg. Here's Apocalyptica playing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw0TikGmVz4

37ArmsToBind
Jun 30, 2007

Every Thug Needs A Lady
Woke up this morning with a line in my head that I can't pinpoint to a band/song.

The only line I seem to remember is "take me away".

I believe it's something like "Take me away(background vocals: take me away)" the next line might be "another day(background vocals: another day)"

I googled "take me away" but it's definitely none of those results.

I know it's not much to go on, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep if I don't find out what it is.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

37ArmsToBind posted:

Woke up this morning with a line in my head that I can't pinpoint to a band/song.

I believe it's something like "Take me away(background vocals: take me away)" the next line might be "another day(background vocals: another day)"

I know it's not much to go on, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep if I don't find out what it is.

maybe Blue Öyster Cult - Take Me Away?

37ArmsToBind
Jun 30, 2007

Every Thug Needs A Lady
Nope. I think it was more upbeat.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
What is the song with the lyrics "party til the A.M." "throw my hands in the ai-r, a, a-ir, a-ir..."

I think it might be really well known at the moment since I heard it on the club music radio station I don't normally listen to.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

37ArmsToBind posted:

Is it Natasha Bedingfield's "Pocket Full of Sunshine"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkEhDm2les

37ArmsToBind
Jun 30, 2007

Every Thug Needs A Lady
Haha wow it is. I've never even heard of her so I didn't bother checking it out.

Do you know if there are any covers of this song? I'm pretty sure that I heard this song with male vocals.

Thanks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackpuppet
Jan 1, 2006
My dreams they've got to kiss because I don't get sleep, no...
Here's a ridiculous one that's been bothering me for a good while -- it's a piano piece actually, no vocals or other instruments.

I think it played during a drama film trailer that was otherwise silent, except for the piano tune. It's fairly simple and slow (and I know I've heard it more than one place so it can't be too obscure) and its defining characteristic, at least from the part I remember, is that there are three low piano notes repeating in the background while the main melody, which is higher pitched, plays over them. It's very soothing, but the fact that it has no lyrics and I can't recall where I heard it, means that I'm stuck on its name.

This is probably not enough to go on, but I really want to hear this one again. It was beautiful :(