Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Chinaman7000 posted:

I just finished You're Welcome and I have a question. Cordi was apparently never woke up, but still somehow Angel and his crew beat Lindsey. Do the other AI guys remember Cordi waking up, or did Angel hallucinate it and beat Lindsey in another way, or something else? If it's answered in the later episodes then just say that, but after the shock of the ending I felt confused.

I think she says something about calling in a favor from the Powers. My guess is they gave her a temporary, corporeal body so she could help Angel and get him back on track, but when it was over the body disappeared and her soul went back to her real dying body. To me that's the simplest explanation since she interacted with all the characters and the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Now working my way through season 5 of Buffy, and yet again, questions arise that, if thought about too much, make you enjoy it less.

Glory needs the key to bridge the gateway between dimensions and rule over her own world. The monks decided to keep her from Glory by sending her to The Slayer in the form of a sister, so that she'd love it and do everything in her power to keep it safe (they lucked out on that one. History is full of some sets of siblings just not getting along at all. Cain and Abel, anyone?)

The knights, on the other hand, feel the best way to keep Glory from having the Key is to destroy it, which in this case means killing Dawn. If the Key is destroyed, Glory can never have it. You know...I gotta side with the knights on this one.

Why didn't the monks just destroy the key? Or, if they felt it was too valuable, would making it into a tiny grain of sand at the bottom of the ocean be a better choice? Let's see Glory find it then.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why didn't the monks just destroy the key? Or, if they felt it was too valuable, would making it into a tiny grain of sand at the bottom of the ocean be a better choice? Let's see Glory find it then.

if they did that, we wouldn't have the awesome character of dawn, who is a fan favorite and a great, not at all annoying character. :suicide:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Great points that cannot totally be discounted.

The Knights bugged me too till I realized it's not about the practicality of killing Dawn or not, but rather Buffy's commitment to life -- other people's lives, truly and completely. She is the Slayer - a Killer - but she proves she is more by not killing Dawn, and rather sacrificing herself. It may be stupid - for instance, if Glory gets the key and destroys our world with Dawn dead too, what's the point? Except never accepting the notion that the ends justify the means, and killing Dawn, for whatever worthy reason, is still killing an innocent person, for nothing she did.

How's that work?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And now I'm just starting to watch "The Body," and I feel really bad for Brian. The guy that went on a date with Joyce and even sent her flowers.

Can you imagine the ribbing his friends must have given him? I mean, drat, a woman dies to avoid a second date with you? There's no getting over that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Crimson Chin posted:

Just watched the musical episode for the first time in a few years.

Man, I'd forgotten how awesome Once More, With Feeling is. It's inventive, gives an interesting in-show explanation for all the singing, and serves as a clever way of bringing some important plot points to a head. Plus Joss is a pretty talented songwriter, less-than-subtle sexual innuendo notwithstanding.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

And now I'm just starting to watch "The Body," and I feel really bad for Brian. The guy that went on a date with Joyce and even sent her flowers.

Can you imagine the ribbing his friends must have given him? I mean, drat, a woman dies to avoid a second date with you? There's no getting over that.

Considering that Joyce's exes seem to consist of an evil robot, Buffy's deadbeat Dad, and OK, once or twice with Giles, he probably wasn't that big of a loss. Considering that he's a 30-40 something guy dating in Sunnydale, I'm willing to bet even money that he was probably a horrible demon preying on divorcees.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

In the season 6 episode where Dawn inadvertantly gets them all trapped in the house, there's a brief exchange after Halfrek shows up:

Anya: But cursing us? Some of them are in the wedding party.
Halfrek: I just go where I'm- (Spike walks in) William?
Spike: Hey, wait a minute.
Buffy: You guys know each other?
Halfrek: Ah, no.
Spike: Not really.

That's not as less :aaaaa: than realizing that Anne, the teen shelter worker on Angel, used to be one of the vampire worshiping goths that Buffy saved from Spike & co., and then was the homeless girl in L.A. that Buffy helped out when she ran away from home.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, she stole Buffy's middle name, remember? Seven years, from first to last appearance on the show. That's a pretty good run.

Seth Green still wins though. 1992-2000. He was on for longer than Angel was.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Stonefish posted:

Yeah, she stole Buffy's middle name, remember? Seven years, from first to last appearance on the show. That's a pretty good run.

I thought his scene in the original movie was cut.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Stonefish posted:

Depends on how you count the Buffyverse. Harmony and Angel lasted from the Buffy pilot to the series finale of Angel, so they had a bit of a longer life than characters like Anya.

For real fun, I saw an episode of 'Married With Children' the other day where a young David Boreanaz was dating Kelly Bundy, and got on Al's badside. It was a bit bit weird seeing Angel getting his rear end kicked by Al Bundy.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 28, 2008

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
You mean to say Boreanaz acted before he got the role as Angel?
I shudder to think how that would have been.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Stonefish posted:

You are assuming that Seth Green's character in the movie was Oz. He probably wasn't, and he got vamped anyway so it doesn't really matter either way.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Stonefish posted:

You mean to say Boreanaz acted before he got the role as Angel?
I shudder to think how that would have been.

yeah, but that was his only role before buffy. (on t.v. at least)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrakkorzog posted:

For real fun, I saw an episode of 'Married With Children' the other day where a young David Boreanaz was dating Kelly Bundy, and got on Al's badside. It was a bit bit weird seeing Angel getting his rear end kicked by Al Bundy.

I think this just shows how much of a badass Al Bundy is.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

redshirt posted:

Great points that cannot totally be discounted.

The Knights bugged me too till I realized it's not about the practicality of killing Dawn or not, but rather Buffy's commitment to life -- other people's lives, truly and completely. She is the Slayer - a Killer - but she proves she is more by not killing Dawn, and rather sacrificing herself. It may be stupid - for instance, if Glory gets the key and destroys our world with Dawn dead too, what's the point? Except never accepting the notion that the ends justify the means, and killing Dawn, for whatever worthy reason, is still killing an innocent person, for nothing she did.

How's that work?

Well the whole thing was meant to be a parallel to the end of season 2 where she had to kill Angel to stop another hell portal from opening and it almost destroyed her, so she was not willing to make that sacrifice again.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
The other thing to consider is that those knights were pretty loving stupid. They had Brad Bellick in command ffs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Only tangentially on topic but what's with J August Richards and playing lawyers? His character ended up becoming one on Angel and then his next two shows, Conviction and now this new Raising the Bar have him playing lawyers as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Only tangentially on topic but what's with J August Richards and playing lawyers? His character ended up becoming one on Angel and then his next two shows, Conviction and now this new Raising the Bar have him playing lawyers as well.

He was asked that during Conviction. During Angel S5 he found he had a talent for memorizing legal terms with ease and he really got into law practice as a hobby/ I guess he actually studies law books in his spare time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, I was expecting it more to be "I like to wear suits" or something more inane.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He was asked that during Conviction. During Angel S5 he found he had a talent for memorizing legal terms with ease and he really got into law practice as a hobby/ I guess he actually studies law books in his spare time.

Hmm. Maybe the Senior Partners really did hook him up.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?tid=89434&ref_id=12&ref_type=101&tag=story_list;title;4

Did the comics turn out to be what Joss was talking about there?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

richardfun posted:

http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?tid=89434&ref_id=12&ref_type=101&tag=story_list;title;4

Did the comics turn out to be what Joss was talking about there?

most likely, yes. 2 years later and we only have the comics. :( (that are good. well, buffy at least is good.)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Low Key Liar posted:

most likely, yes. 2 years later and we only have the comics. :( (that are good. well, buffy at least is good.)

I figured, but I was just asking since that article mentions SMG returning, which implies a video experience of some kind, tv or otherwise.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

richardfun posted:

I figured, but I was just asking since that article mentions SMG returning, which implies a video experience of some kind, tv or otherwise.

she probably would return if given the chance since her movie career is pretty much non-existent.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Low Key Liar posted:

she probably would return if given the chance since her movie career is pretty much non-existent.

True, but I'd be more interested in some more Angel than Buffy. I feel like the latter has pretty much run its course. Anybody wanna fill me in on specifics of the aftermath of Angel? How that big battle at the end of Season 5 continued in the comics? I'm not a big comic reader but I'd like to know how they wrapped it up.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

richardfun posted:

True, but I'd be more interested in some more Angel than Buffy. I feel like the latter has pretty much run its course. Anybody wanna fill me in on specifics of the aftermath of Angel? How that big battle at the end of Season 5 continued in the comics? I'm not a big comic reader but I'd like to know how they wrapped it up.

yeah, i agree. buffy has run it's course but Angel never got the chance to finish
as for the aftermath (for a general overview of the comics), The dragon switched sides, everybody survived(well, in some form or another), the senior partners sent all of LA to hell, Gunn is a vampire, Angel is human (not Shanshu human, though), wesley is a ghost-type still in service to the senior partners.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Low Key Liar posted:

The dragon switched sides, everybody survived(well, in some form or another), the senior partners sent all of LA to hell, Gunn is a vampire, Angel is human (not Shanshu human, though), wesley is a ghost-type still in service to the senior partners.

Also, Connon, Gwen and Nina are all back. Connor remembers everything, but since it's a comic book, he's less annoying than usual. Gunn and Angel are currently fighting, and Gunn just discovered Angel is human again.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Low Key Liar posted:

yeah, i agree. buffy has run it's course but Angel never got the chance to finish
as for the aftermath (for a general overview of the comics), The dragon switched sides, everybody survived(well, in some form or another), the senior partners sent all of LA to hell, Gunn is a vampire, Angel is human (not Shanshu human, though), wesley is a ghost-type still in service to the senior partners.

So, everybody goes to hell? Gunn is the evil kinda vamp? What do you mean exactly that Angel is human, but not shansu (I know about the prophecy, but what kinda human is he then, and how did he get that way?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

richardfun posted:

What do you mean exactly that Angel is human, but not shansu (I know about the prophecy, but what kinda human is he then, and how did he get that way?

Wolfram and Hart made him human when they took LA to Hell because they knew that Angel would need his super Vamp powers the most there (to help out all the LA citizens getting terrorized by demons and the like)

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Wolfram and Hart made him human when they took LA to Hell because they knew that Angel would need his super Vamp powers the most there (to help out all the LA citizens getting terrorized by demons and the like)

So he fights demons as a human, in Hell, and lives on? That seems like a bit of a stretch :)

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

richardfun posted:

So he fights demons as a human, in Hell, and lives on? That seems like a bit of a stretch :)

He's survived so far with a mix of magic( healing rituals, and a glamour to make everyone think he's still a vamp), his reputation, and the demons not wanting to offend the senior partners by killing him before they want him to die.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Gassire posted:

He's survived so far with a mix of magic( healing rituals, and a glamour to make everyone think he's still a vamp), his reputation, and the demons not wanting to offend the senior partners by killing him before they want him to die.

Just kind of hard to imagine Angel as a 'duck and cover' kind of guy

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

richardfun posted:

Just kind of hard to imagine Angel as a 'duck and cover' kind of guy

Except he's really not. He acts like he still is the same old champion we saw in the TV show, kinda like how he was in "I Will Remember You" when he became human but still went after the Mohra Demon.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Don't forget that Illyria and Fred keep "switching" if that's the right word.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Patrovsky posted:

Don't forget that Illyria and Fred keep "switching" if that's the right word.

It's common knowledge that Whedon intended to split Fred and Illyria in season 6.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Rhyno posted:

It's common knowledge that Whedon intended to split Fred and Illyria in season 6.

I never heard that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aatrek posted:

I never heard that.
For what it's worth, I did. Several times. And that Wes would be back.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

LividLiquid posted:

For what it's worth, I did. Several times. And that Wes would be back.

I heard that if they had had a season 6, Wes wouldn't have died, so it isn't really that he would have been back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Patrovsky posted:

I heard that if they had had a season 6, Wes wouldn't have died, so it isn't really that he would have been back
It's been a long time since I followed the Buffyverse news closely, so this is probably what I read, yes.

• Locked thread