Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

GeneticWeapon posted:

Christ, if it comes down to choice, live in Berkeley if you can.

We will. It's all a matter of price and location (of course). Any suggestions on neighborhoods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GeneticWeapon posted:

Christ, if it comes down to choice, live in Berkeley if you can.

Why? I lived in Berkeley for 3 years, it's boring as poo poo unless you're a college student. Oakland has a much better nightlife and housing is a lot cheaper.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Papercut posted:

Why? I lived in Berkeley for 3 years, it's boring as poo poo unless you're a college student. Oakland has a much better nightlife and housing is a lot cheaper.

Yes, but my wife and I don't really care about nightlife and my son's too young to go clubbing. I'd rather have the quiet.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
OK, screw the Firefox extension. Sorry for the double-post.

MonkeyMaker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 31, 2008

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Oakland and Berkeley are both awesome

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

My husband and I are going to be in SF for a long weekend over Valentine's Day...all told we'll be there for 4 nights. We're looking for a hotel in the $350-ish range and it looks like there are a lot of options, but it seems like they're all in the business district from what I can tell (The Clift, The Saint Francis, Hotel Triton, The Orchard Hotel...) Can anyone recommend a hotel in an area that's good for food, shopping, etc? Or is Union Square about as good as it's going to get?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stentorian Longing posted:

My husband and I are going to be in SF for a long weekend over Valentine's Day...all told we'll be there for 4 nights. We're looking for a hotel in the $350-ish range and it looks like there are a lot of options, but it seems like they're all in the business district from what I can tell (The Clift, The Saint Francis, Hotel Triton, The Orchard Hotel...) Can anyone recommend a hotel in an area that's good for food, shopping, etc? Or is Union Square about as good as it's going to get?
Those are all close to Union Square, the Saint Francis is the most central but the Orchard and Triton are right next to the Chinatown gate. Don't worry about being far from the Wharf, it features very little of interest and even then the city is pretty small. The Orchard is the newest one but those are all good choices.

edit: walking to work I realized I got the Orchard and the Orchard Garden mixed up. They're only 2 blocks apart anyway.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 2, 2008

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Does anyone have recommendations for wedding venues? We're looking at outdoor spots in the East Bay and Marin for a date next August or September. Any atypical spots that most people wouldn't think of?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Papercut posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for wedding venues? We're looking at outdoor spots in the East Bay and Marin for a date next August or September. Any atypical spots that most people wouldn't think of?

I see a lot of weddings happening on Treasure Island.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

MonkeyMaker posted:

We will. It's all a matter of price and location (of course). Any suggestions on neighborhoods?

For most of the quiet areas that are near stuff, it's pricey. The following areas are pretty nice/quiet but it'd be nigh impossible to find a good house for under 400k, and I'm probably grossly underestimating:

Berkeley
Rockridge
Lake Merritt
Piedmont
Kensington

Ir you could buy a house in West Oakland for next to nothing(adjusted for Bay Area housing prices), if you don't mind being a part of the sketch patrol

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
I'm going to SF in a few days with a friend of mine, and I've been wondering: when we go out in the evenings where are we going to go? I know that you need to be 21 to drink in the US and neither of us are, so I'm a bit puzzled as to where we can go in the evenings if we can't go to bars or clubs.

Whats the usual plan for people that aren't 21 in SF?

edit: basically what establishments do the under-21 denizens of SF recommend to me?

cadenza fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 2, 2008

secondyear
Dec 16, 2003

Papercut posted:

Heather Farms in Walnut Creek? Beautiful gardens and should be inexpensive since it is open to the public.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

secondyear posted:

Heather Farms in Walnut Creek? Beautiful gardens and should be inexpensive since it is open to the public.

Thanks, this looks like a good one. About half the price of other places we've been seeing and it still looks really nice.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Papercut posted:

Thanks, this looks like a good one. About half the price of other places we've been seeing and it still looks really nice.

Heather Farms is in my hood and although it is really pretty it's always loving popping off on the weekends. They have a couple of small, private buildings for receptions but still be prepared to share your wedding festivities with a million bbq-ers.

Dr. Spaceman
Jul 15, 2007
I want to meet that dad
I'm moving to SF this weekend (hooray!) and taking my car with me because I have to commute to work. I'll be living in the sunset area, on Judah street, and I'm not concerned about getting stabbed or anything. However, I was wondering how likely it is that my car will get broken into, as I'll be parking on the street. My car is somewhat gangsta looking even though it's only a used Hyundai. It's a bright red hatchback with a black leather. Even though it's kind of a cheap and economical car, it's a lot flashier than most of the others I've seen parked in the area. Should I be worried about it?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dr. Spaceman posted:

I'm moving to SF this weekend (hooray!) and taking my car with me because I have to commute to work. I'll be living in the sunset area, on Judah street, and I'm not concerned about getting stabbed or anything. However, I was wondering how likely it is that my car will get broken into, as I'll be parking on the street. My car is somewhat gangsta looking even though it's only a used Hyundai. It's a bright red hatchback with a black leather. Even though it's kind of a cheap and economical car, it's a lot flashier than most of the others I've seen parked in the area. Should I be worried about it?

What avenue are you going to be at?

In any case, never leave anything in your car, especially nothing visible. I've never had any problems parking my car (Acura RSX) on the street, but I'm at 7th Ave on the other side of the park from you and I do see break-ins somewhat regularly. My girlfriend's Corolla was broken into when she first moved to the city and wasn't careful enough, and another friend of mine had his broken into the first night that he parked it on the street (but that was at 13th & Valencia, which is pretty sketch). Basically anywhere there are vagrants, there's a chance of a break-in, but if you don't leave any visible incentive for them, you'll probably be safe.

Dr. Spaceman
Jul 15, 2007
I want to meet that dad
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be at 23rd ave. Whenever I stopped by there it was mostly just old people walking around, so I guess I'll be fine as long as I keep the car empty :)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Dr. Spaceman posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be at 23rd ave. Whenever I stopped by there it was mostly just old people walking around, so I guess I'll be fine as long as I keep the car empty :)

Yeah, you'll be fine there.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

There's not really any rhyme or reason to which car gets broken into. Of course a nicer one is more likely to get hit, but anything is fair game. Around 40 cars are broken into every day in SF. I think it's safe to say a Hyundai won't be on the top of the list though. Still, make sure you don't leave anything in site in your car. Even if it's something that's not valuable, if it's sitting on the seat, it might get stolen. Crackheads are a desperate bunch...

As for the area around Judah, there are a good amount of bums in and near Golden Gate Park, so it's probably not the best part of the city for low property crime. I once witnessed a bum jack two bikes off of a car parked down the block in broad daylight, at 11th and Lincoln. But, that's what you get for leaving expensive stuff outside unfortunately...

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The reason some older cars tend to get broken into is because owners can still be careless and leave an iPod or something valuable laying around in plain view, and older cars and beaters are far less likely to have (working) car alarms.

An iPod is an iPod whether its in a Honda or a BMW, but the old Civic is less likely to have an alarm in it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

The reason some older cars tend to get broken into is because owners can still be careless and leave an iPod or something valuable laying around in plain view, and older cars and beaters are far less likely to have (working) car alarms.

An iPod is an iPod whether its in a Honda or a BMW, but the old Civic is less likely to have an alarm in it.

True, but I know plenty of people who've had older lovely cars broken into, even when there's nothing at all in view in the car. And many of these were back in the day before things like Ipods or portable CD players even existed.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Who's going to Lebowskifest tonight at Mezz???!?

It's been sold out for a few weeks, so if you don't have tickets, it's not a good bet. But I'll be getting wasted in my bath robe, to the sweet sounds of Dead Hensons and Extra Action

"New poo poo has come to light!"

Also on Sunday is the Alameda antiques fair. Chumps

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There's also a free music festival in GG park tomorrow:
http://www.powertothepeaceful.org/index.php

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Murders galore in the Mission. Lucky I live on Guerrero and 22nd

cadenza posted:

I'm going to SF in a few days with a friend of mine, and I've been wondering: when we go out in the evenings where are we going to go? I know that you need to be 21 to drink in the US and neither of us are, so I'm a bit puzzled as to where we can go in the evenings if we can't go to bars or clubs.

Whats the usual plan for people that aren't 21 in SF?

edit: basically what establishments do the under-21 denizens of SF recommend to me?

rickshaw or popscene has some 18+ up events. Most are electro dance parties with "hip" art students.

http://jon.luini.com/thelist/
for shows

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Eelface posted:

Murders galore in the Mission. Lucky I live on Guerrero and 22nd

Yeah it's been crazy the last 2 weeks in the mission. 6 murders, 4 of them this week. One victim was the president of the SF Chapter of the Hells Angels. He got into a fight with someone at 23rd and treat, and then they shot him in the face. 2 people were killed last night too, on 24th street, and 3 more people were shot, including two parents who were riddled with bullets in front of their 4 month-old child. Shits screwed up...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
earthquake! :)

Fairly Incredible
Aug 27, 2007

Somewhat extraordinary

idiotsavant posted:

earthquake! :)
Felt it all the way down here in Cupertino. Looks like a 4.0: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/37.39.-123.-121.php

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I live near Alamo. WOW that was the biggest and longest one I've felt in six years!

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
That was seriously the first earthquake I've felt/noticed since the big one in 88.

notfred
Dec 1, 2005

Baby_Hippo posted:

That was seriously the first earthquake I've felt/noticed since the big one in 88.

'89

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't feel it because i was on the underground. They had to stop the trains for half an hour why they made sure there was nothing wrong with the tracks. Anyone remember the 5.2 (i think it was) a few months ago? I definitely felt that one.

no shoes
Jun 3, 2007
degenerate
Going to San Francisco in a couple days and have a few brief questions.

How big is Golden Gate Park? I remember driving through it as a kid, but how long would it take to walk the length of it. Beside the botanic gardens and the De Young, any must sees in or near the park? Where's the best place to eat near the ocean side of things?

What's the taxi situation in the city? Are there plenty around? Anyone know how long a cab ride from downtown San Francisco to Sausalito would be?

And finally, is there anything really awesome in Sausalito we shouldn't miss--foodwise in particular.

Thanks, folks.

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

I want to take a train ride to San Fran some time. What's the best Amtrak station to come in on?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

McMurphy posted:

I want to take a train ride to San Fran some time. What's the best Amtrak station to come in on?
I believe your only real choice is getting off at Emeryville and taking the Amtrak-provided bus over the Bay Bridge. Sucks, yes, but geography is at fault.

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I believe your only real choice is getting off at Emeryville and taking the Amtrak-provided bus over the Bay Bridge. Sucks, yes, but geography is at fault.

Yeah, every route I've seen ends with a bus ride. I really don't want to do that but oh well.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

McMurphy posted:

Yeah, every route I've seen ends with a bus ride. I really don't want to do that but oh well.
Actually, looking at the Amtrak site, if you're able to get off at the Oakland Jack London Square station, you'd be able to ride a ferry over to the city if that sounds more appealing.

Here's a ferry schedule (you'd be going from Oakland to SF): http://www.eastbayferry.com/when/when.html

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace

no shoes posted:

Going to San Francisco in a couple days and have a few brief questions.

-How big is Golden Gate Park? I remember driving through it as a kid, but how long would it take to walk the length of it.
It depends on how fast you walk and what you stop to see along the way, but not more than an hour if you walk straight through without stopping. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk from the south edge to the north edge & vice versa.

-Beside the botanic gardens and the De Young, any must sees in or near the park?
There are a bunch of nice places to relax near any of the lakes, or have a picnic at Speewday, Lindley or Marx Meadows. The rose garden is nice but not that big. Stow Lake is fun to walk around, and you can rent a paddle or row boat.

-Where's the best place to eat near the ocean side of things?
More or less the only place is the Beach Chalet/Park Chalet (2 restaurants in 1 building), though there's also the Cliff House if you're looking to spend a lot. Check Yelp for any others.

-What's the taxi situation in the city? Are there plenty around? Anyone know how long a cab ride from downtown San Francisco to Sausalito would be?
Taxis can be had, and most will come and get you. Yellow Cab is 333-3333 for an easy to remember service. Downtown to Sausalito would probably take 30-40 minutes and cost at least that much, if not more.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

no shoes posted:

And finally, is there anything really awesome in Sausalito we shouldn't miss--foodwise in particular.
Thanks, folks.

There's a loving awesome breakfast place in Sausalito called Lighthouse Cafe. They also do traditional Danish food. Go for breakfast or lunch (they close at 3), and try the banana pancakes.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Zoccoli posted:

-What's the taxi situation in the city? Are there plenty around? Anyone know how long a cab ride from downtown San Francisco to Sausalito would be?
Taxis can be had, and most will come and get you. Yellow Cab is 333-3333 for an easy to remember service. Downtown to Sausalito would probably take 30-40 minutes and cost at least that much, if not more.

optionally take a Golden Gate Transit bus to Sausalito for a few bucks, or if you want one of the nicer ferry rides in the Bay take a GG Transit ferry to Sausalito (the nicest is either a GG Transit ride to Larkspur and lunch at Marin BrewCo, or a ride to Tiburon and lunch out there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

McMurphy posted:

If you REALLY want to take a a train into SF, you can take Amtrak to San Jose, and then jump on Caltrain north to San Francisco. It'll add another two or three hours to your trip (It's an hour and a half from SJ to SF, and I'm guessing an hour and a half on Amtrack, from Emeryville to SJ), and $7.50 for the Caltrain ticket.

• Locked thread