Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

French Canadian posted:

What kind of fancy XR is that? I didn't think they had updated the headlight assembly very much. That looks kind of like a KLR now. My XR400 is more boxey and without fender flares (it's air cooled).

It is non-US, I'm currently sat in England. It's a 2004 XR 125 L and I really like the look of it. I'm hoping to upgrade sometime soon , either some sort of bigger dual sport (I like the riding position and the looks) or something more along the lines of the GS500 I've been learning on. Nothing too big, I like my fuel economy, and being 22, I get screwed on the insurance whatever I have.

My sister's desperately hoping for me to upgrade, she wants to use that thing. I don't blame her, brilliant fuel economy, awesome flickability, tonnes of fun, just lacks the legs a little for long distance, though I've done 300 miles in a day on it. Having said that, I was gonna take it on the motorway when I passed, with my 55-60mph top speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cschris789
Apr 9, 2004
1996 Kawasaki ZZR250 and 1998 Honda CBR600F3

Both excellent bikes for the price; but i feel a CBR954RR or another litre bike coming up. How you do wheelies at highway speed on a 600 is beyond me.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cschris789 posted:

1996 Kawasaki ZZR250 and 1998 Honda CBR600F3

Both excellent bikes for the price; but i feel a CBR954RR or another litre bike coming up. How you do wheelies at highway speed on a 600 is beyond me.

Local kid just stands and bounces them up on his F3. He might be up a few teeth in the back, though.

A F4i/600RR just requires you pop the clutch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

eknomf posted:

I just picked up this (71 Yamaha RT1, 6k miles) as my first bike about a week ago:

Thats a lovely bike. If you have any questions about 60's - 70's Yamaha two strokes feel free to ask myself or Phat_Albert. He owns a 70's 350 RD and I have a 60's 250 YDS3.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I know this isn't a motorcycle, but don't hate, its the best I can do.

1982 Honda PA50II

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I bought it in may, it had not been started in several years. Purchase price of $20 from a local professor. I got it to run last week (right before college classes started), but something blew and it stopped running at full power. It was going about 20-25mph, dependent on the size of the rider, and after an hour of running fine it instantaneously dropped to a max of ~7mph

I've been working on it for about a week to no avail, so I guess you could call this my project. Today I swapped an different engine into it, to see if it was an engine problem (as small troubleshooting has really gone nowhere). Tomorrow I think I might redo everything but with a different carburetor. I will get this thing running. I need it to commute!

I want a legit motorcycle so badly, but I'm waiting for a good deal/something I can legitimately afford. Oh, and I'm using this POS moped to learn a bit about how things work before I get myself into something I can't maintain.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bean_ posted:

I've been working on it for about a week to no avail, so I guess you could call this my project. Today I swapped an different engine into it, to see if it was an engine problem (as small troubleshooting has really gone nowhere). Tomorrow I think I might redo everything but with a different carburetor. I will get this thing running. I need it to commute!

I would wager a big piece of something has lodged itself in the main jet in the carb. Open it up and clean it out. For good measure, get some new fuel line and an in-line fuel filter regardless of whether or not it was the carb.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

8ender posted:

I would wager a big piece of something has lodged itself in the main jet in the carb. Open it up and clean it out. For good measure, get some new fuel line and an in-line fuel filter regardless of whether or not it was the carb.

I took it off yesterday and blew through it. Nothing seemed too hard to blow through, so I thought it was alright. After speaking ot my father, and this post, he recommended doing the same thing.

I already replaced the air element. When I tried to take it out from its little tray and clean it, it literally disintegrated. I knew things were on the up when that happened.

:)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bean_ posted:

I took it off yesterday and blew through it. Nothing seemed too hard to blow through, so I thought it was alright.
"blowing" through a carb proves nothing. Just that the vents aren't plugged :-) It isn't ok.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I found Hope and didn't need Obama to lead me there!

Well, Hope, Alaska, anyways.

Until I bought this GS I didn't really understand what all the fuss was about

1150cc's of über toy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

I would wager a big piece of something has lodged itself in the main jet in the carb.
the other day one cylinder on my BMW went out and when i opened up the main jet chamber, i found a little swatch of what looked like the nonpermanent glue they use to stick ads inside magazines plugged right in the end of the main jet. no idea how the hell that got in the fuel system, considering i had previously relined the tank and replaced the fuel lines and totally dismantled and cleaned the carbs several times.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I traded Ol' Red:

For a new Zed:

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 1, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

considering i had previously relined the tank

I would suggest you get an inline filter and keep an eye on it. Could be your tank lining coming off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i have one, and it's POR15. i thought that stuff was indestructible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

POR15 dries into a hard plastic essentially. You'd have to be putting some pretty gnarly poo poo in your tank, or have gotten a bad batch of POR15 to have gummy poo poo in your carb from it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i have one, and it's POR15. i thought that stuff was indestructible.

Well thats a different story, thought you might have used Kreem or something like that. Either way keep and eye on it and make sure something isn't delaminating or breaking apart somewhere.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

MrKatharsis posted:

I traded Ol' Red:

For a new Zed:

I think you have made a grave mistake sir, red is better.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
At least I still have a red pickup truck.

At 33,850 miles over 3 years of riding, the cruiser was starting to get a little boring. It was a great first bike, but after riding some of my friends' sportbikes, the upgrade was inevitable.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Understandable.
I'm startin to get a feel for it, and while I've done nothing much, it's still pretty drat fun to my newbie rear end.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I just installed Galfer stainless steel brake lines on my Ninja EX250 and they are pretty awesome and I recommend everyone get them. For lines and pads (EBC sintered HH up front, organic kevlar in back) it's about $150 and the difference is pretty awesome especially when braking hard. They are pretty easy to install if you've never done it, too. The Ninja250.org faq is pretty thorough but it wouldn't hurt to have someone knowledgeable there to help out.

Edit: Seems a lot of people hate Galfer lines but they came recommended (in part because that's all there is for the 250) by the Ninja250.org website. So take that as you will.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 4, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Has anyone else that's installed Galfer SS lines noticed the bolts rusting? I though they'd use stainless on the fasteners as well, but either the bolt is rusting, or the copper washers are melting :confused:

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest
I recall a thread on another motorcycle forum where someone was complaining of the same issue.

Here is the thread: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-mods/7112-galfer-galfer-responds.html

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Well gently caress. I guess I have to watch it closely or replace the bolts with another brand.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

2/3 of the hex bolts on my front lines are showing signs of rust, and 1/4 of the banjo bolts likewise. It would seem almost like they shifted to using plated steel instead of SS fasteners. Would the SS compound used (if it were actually stainless) be ferrous or non?

I'm thinking of just priming/painting the whole mess, as I don't feel like shelling out for new fasteners all around, and chances are, I'd have a pain in the rear end getting anything back from the company. :canada:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

So what might be a good method of obtaining proper hardware be?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

French Canadian posted:

So what might be a good method of obtaining proper hardware be?

Try a hydraulics shop. I was searching high and low for a banjo used in the fuel system of my 66 Yamaha and the local hydraulic shop had every type of banjo imaginable with all sort of coatings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

8ender posted:

Try a hydraulics shop. I was searching high and low for a banjo used in the fuel system of my 66 Yamaha and the local hydraulic shop had every type of banjo imaginable with all sort of coatings.
Either that, or if French Canadian lives on the close there are usually good supply shops with all sorts of non-corrosive fasteners/bolts/doo-dads for the marine industry.

In the off chance he is in the Vancouver area, I can recommend Pacific Fasteners.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
After 6 months of waiting I was able to pick up my Street Triple last Saturday, unfortunately I had to spend Sunday and Monday at work so I hardly got a chance to ride it. So far I'm loving it can't wait until break in is over.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Sick_Nukes posted:

After 6 months of waiting I was able to pick up my Street Triple last Saturday, unfortunately I had to spend Sunday and Monday at work so I hardly got a chance to ride it. So far I'm loving it can't wait until break in is over.

Aggggh that bike is so sexy.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sick_Nukes posted:

Is it wrong that I think the headlight setup on that looks like complete rear end? The rest looks great, but those headlights look like some hackjob aftermarket kit that you see people throwing onto ratty old flat black painted "streetfighter" rebuilt sportbikes.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Simkin posted:

Is it wrong that I think the headlight setup on that looks like complete rear end? The rest looks great, but those headlights look like some hackjob aftermarket kit that you see people throwing onto ratty old flat black painted "streetfighter" rebuilt sportbikes.

Seconded. I hate almost all side-by-side dual headlight setups though.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I think the setup is cute. If I got one I'd add little bits of metal to the top and sides to make my own little Wall-e machine :3:

e: and name it Wally :haw:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Took a long time for that look to grow on me...but I kind of dig it now. It does look a little more reasonable on the Speed Triples, which are a bit bigger.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Simkin posted:

That's exactly what the triumph speed triple/four are marketed as. Stock streetfighters. I really like the DIY hackjob look. If you see a guy on a bike that looks like he built it himself he MUST know what he's doing :v:

A triple is my dream bike right now, I can't wait to get one.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
How are the headlights on that thing? It looks like that might actually do something at night, which is better than the cans of rear end most bikes get for lights.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

In the off chance he is in the Vancouver area, I can recommend Pacific Fasteners.

Or if he is near London Ontario I recommend Facca Fasteners.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

A baby Honda Shadow to start on.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

mutt2jeff posted:

How are the headlights on that thing? It looks like that might actually do something at night, which is better than the cans of rear end most bikes get for lights.

If the headlights are the same as the Speed Triple, they are only okay. The brights work great but the low beams leave some to be desired.

If I ever stop being so lazy, I'll post up pics of my 07 Speed 3 (green as well) and my DRZ.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Simkin posted:

Nope, you're not wrong. All I can see in every picture is HEADLIGHTS.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

8ender posted:

Or if he is near London Ontario I recommend Facca Fasteners.

I'm in San Diego. So I presume there will be a marine store around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Simkin posted:

Has anyone else that's installed Galfer SS lines noticed the bolts rusting? I though they'd use stainless on the fasteners as well, but either the bolt is rusting, or the copper washers are melting :confused:

Yeah gently caress Galfer, my line ends are corroding after a few months. I spray and wipe them with WD40, which helps a bit. That, and the copper washers they supplied all leaked on install. I had to reorder OEM washers just to install them. Most painful mod I've done so far including rear shock, redone forks, etc. (Except my rearsets, but that's only because of the cheap poo poo stripping bolts that are all over the SV). Aghghhhh angst against galfer.

Also, I like the twin headlight. Single headlights make modern bikes look old.