Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Lobster Johnson posted:

The UPS man made my day.

Usually, this thread is full of cool acquisitions of many stripes, but every once in awhile something gets posted that is way, way beyond the usual item. This is definitely one of those once in awhiles, and that is totally, totally awesome.

Do you mind if I ask how much that monster was? What are you thinking about doing for amps for it? I'd totally get a Leslie cabinet if I were you, and maybe a EHX HOG on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Agreed posted:

Do you mind if I ask how much that monster was?

Not at all, the price is listed in the Novax showroom: $3300 US, which is on the reasonable side of small luthier list prices. Showroom Koll Glides and Thorn Junior 90s (no link 'cause they've none available right now), the two others I'm lusting after, are around the same. However, because I live on the other side of the planet (Australia), I got totally reamed by the shipping and import duty cost. I think those costs alone added another $1k but I'm too afraid to actually go calculate the final total.

Agreed posted:

What are you thinking about doing for amps for it? I'd totally get a Leslie cabinet if I were you, and maybe a EHX HOG on top of that.

I'm not gigging (and haven't been for years), so my setup is all strictly home studio stuff. My guitar amp is a Tech 21 Trademark 30, which is a killer little thing. I'm keeping my eyes open for small boutique tube amps (Dr Z style, low wattage or built-in attenuator types) but the Trademark 30 has been such a great little work-horse that I doubt I'll search too seriously. A Leslie would be too awesome but the practicality in an apartment bedroom studio isn't so hot.

I've been researching the poo poo out of bass amps but haven't settled on anything yet. I've been considering Eden and Mark Bass heads, but I think they might be overkill. I just talked myself out of a cheap MarkBass Little Mark II 'cause there's just no way in hell I need a 500w bass head. The new Nemesis (Eden's cheap brand) practice amps are getting favourable reviews but are a bitch to find over here. Given my experience with Tech 21 and how well renouned their Bass Driver pre-amp / DI stuff is, I might go for their little 60w bass combo. It seems to be the best balance of versatility, sound and cost, and if it's anything like the Trademark series, it'll be a winner.

I have a HOG but the drat thing died a few months back :argh: It was an ebay purchase, so no warranty, and I've been hesitant to send to off to the factory for repair because fixing and shipping would almost cost as much as a new one.

My rig right now is instrument (guitar / this beast / SH-101 synth) -> zvex fuzz factory -> EHX micro synth -> EHX stereo memory man -> modular moog moogerfooger rack (freq box, low pass filter, ring mod, analogue delay and MuRF) -> boss RC50 looper -> amp. The plan now is to add a bass amp, a pedal or two at the start of the bass signal path, both paths into the moog rack and a smaller looper at the end of the bass path. The rotosphere leslie-sim pedal might be cool for that hammond organ sound, but I'm really hanging out for a Goatkeeper tremolo, if they ever bloody release it.

Aaand to balance it out I'm selling a parker guitar, digitech jamman and signal arts performance sequencer. And a kidney. Probably my soul, too.

Lobster Johnson fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 2, 2008

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
That's a fancy looking 8 string right there, nice find. At what point do you give up adding strings to a guitar and just learn piano though? Are there people playing 9 strings out there?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Vanmani posted:

That's a fancy looking 8 string right there, nice find. At what point do you give up adding strings to a guitar and just learn piano though? Are there people playing 9 strings out there?

When you have 8 strings, the top ones act like a bass guitar while you doodle on the higher ones with your other fingers. Plus you can play some crazy metal all by yourself.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

This goofball I knew in montana played 9 string bass... He was in a band with a buddy of mine- nice guy. How the hell he got a signature model bass I'll never know- it's not like his band was signed or well known or anything. He's a pretty kickass player though- maybe that's enough... I think since he was wacky enough to want a 9 string bass, they ran with it and gave him free stuff. I do remember that he had to have strings custom made for the thing- the low string was like a .180 or somesuch nonsense.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

IanTheM posted:

When you have 8 strings, the top ones act like a bass guitar while you doodle on the higher ones with your other fingers. Plus you can play some crazy metal all by yourself.

It really depends on the setup, with regards to how each string is used (or intended to be used, to be precise). That one isn't really made for metal playing. On most 8-strings, it's basically just a 7-string with one even lower string. The Novax 8-strings are very unique in the fact that they're basically a 3-string bass and a 5-string guitar in one instrument. And then there are 8-strings that are more or less a 6 or 7 string guitar with 2 or 1 of the strings, respectively, possessing an octave string, as in the case of this Michael Ellis Baritone 8-string Resonator, which is basically a 7-string baritone with an octave for the 1st string.

Good purchase, though, LJ. I always wanted to pick one of those up ever since I first got into Charlie Hunter, but they're pretty expensive for something that would pretty much require re-learning the guitar.

quote:

Are there people playing 9 strings out there?

Yeah. Godin makes an 11-string fretless guitar called the Glissentar. As far as number of strings, if you can imagine it and it is physically feasible at least for the most skilled player, some guy out there has probably done it. BC Rich actually had a fairly popular 10-string for a long, long time that was a standard 6-string with octaves for the four highest strings.

On topic, I should be getting my Agile Intrepid Pro 8-string next week. I'm pretty excited.

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

Vanmani posted:

Stringed instruments have a long and varied history beyond the every-day 4 or 6 strings. Fer example. There are modern classical luthiers who make 10 string beasts (I think there are some clips on YouTube) and BC Rich are known to do all kinds of weird string configs for their custom jobs: 7 and 8 string, 10 string, 10 strings where 4 are sympathetics for the higher strings (kinda like a traditional 12 string acoustic), 12 string electrics etc. The ultra geeky Chapman Stick comes in a 10 string model.

Point being, adding strings to a guitar is old news. A piano is a piano and a guitar is a guitar, regardless of how many strings each has. They each do their thing and while one might get close to emulating the other, they both ultimately feel, sound and express musical ideas differently.

Now I'm drooling over vintage BC Rich gear. I better cut up my credit card.

edit:

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Good purchase, though, LJ. I always wanted to pick one of those up ever since I first got into Charlie Hunter, but they're pretty expensive for something that would pretty much require re-learning the guitar.

The re-learning is both really exciting and really frustrating. Honestly, aside from the awesome factor, re-learning was one of the reasons that made me jump; I've been in a rut for a really, really long time and even after a handful of hours with this thing, I feel like the creative block has lifted. I'm spilling over with ideas that I know I don't yet have the chops on this thing to pull off, which is exactly the motivation that I need.

Lobster Johnson fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 2, 2008

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

On topic, I should be getting my Agile Intrepid Pro 8-string next week. I'm pretty excited.

Just found it through google and holy poo poo that's the nicest Agile I've seen yet. I would have been all over that if I'd been paying attention.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Got a Vintage Mahogany at the Labor Day sale, immediately swapped the black plastic for cream. On the right!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Got a Vintage Mahogany at the Labor Day sale, immediately swapped the black plastic for cream. On the right!

Jesus man, you get a new guitar every 4 days!

edit : How is it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

pennywisdom posted:

Jesus man, you get a new guitar every 4 days!

edit : How is it?
Not usually, trust me. And the other two were from trades, plus I sold another in addition to that. I've just been shuffling lately.

The guitar's pretty nice, I love that finish on the neck and it's nice and lightweight. For now, it's a backup for the Blonde Beauty, so it's nice that they have the same pickups, too. No problems with sharp fret ends like I occasionally see on cheaper unbound Gibsons, good acoustic resonance, just an all-around nice guitar. No real outstanding features but no crippling flaws. I like it.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008

expecting this most likely early next week. Would be nice if it came by the end of the week but I doubt it. Anyone familiar with G&L Tributes? pointers, or anecdotes are welcome.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

I love all your guitars, despite all being LPs they're still so unique. I need to try the Mahogany/Cream combo some time, it looks amazing though I've only seen it twice.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

GRBass posted:

expecting this most likely early next week. Would be nice if it came by the end of the week but I doubt it. Anyone familiar with G&L Tributes? pointers, or anecdotes are welcome.

Umm, they're great? Enjoy man, you've made a good choice :)

If you want a nice P-bass like sound, switch to the neck humbucker. Want more of a MusicMan sound switch to the back. If you want a 60s Jazz bass type sound tap the outer coil (closest to the neck)or inner really, outer will give an even smoother tone)) on the neck pickup and the inner coil on the bridge pickup. If you want a 70s Jazz bass sound tap the outer coil on the neck pickup and the outer coil on the bridge pickup. Or if you want like a '51 P sound just tap the outer coil on the neck pickup and nothing else.

G&Ls are among the most versatile basses out there.

EDIT: And here's Ed Friedland doing a demo of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o

Oh wait.. it doesn't have coil taps. Sorry forget everything I said (except the P-bass sound and the MM sound) and listen to Ed

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 3, 2008

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

IanTheM posted:

I love all your guitars, despite all being LPs they're still so unique. I need to try the Mahogany/Cream combo some time, it looks amazing though I've only seen it twice.
Thanks. I actually just ordered a few more parts so I can try it with white instead of cream. Flat white Les Paul parts are surprisingly hard to find and I have to get the pickguard cut, so that'll take longer, and the white toggle switchwasher was a pain to track down- for anyone curious, Allparts has one, but you won't find it on their website, so call and ask for it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

3toes posted:

Oh wait.. it doesn't have coil taps. Sorry forget everything I said (except the P-bass sound and the MM sound) and listen to Ed

Some US models come with the coil tap and it makes the bass even better.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Anyone play a Parker NiteFly before? I just had one offered to me in trade for my SG. Judging by the price it looks like I'm getting the better end financially, but I can't find one around these parts that I can go and try out.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

pennywisdom posted:

Anyone play a Parker NiteFly before? I just had one offered to me in trade for my SG. Judging by the price it looks like I'm getting the better end financially, but I can't find one around these parts that I can go and try out.

Yes. They kick much rear end. Very easy to setup and they get a pretty versatile sound. The neck is pure sex, too.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

GRBass posted:

I've had an American L-2000 for about a year and a half now and would never look back to anything else. Tribbys use the exact same electronics, they're just assembled overseas for cheaper labour, thats the ONLY difference between them and their American counterparts.

As far as sound goes, like 3toes said, their sound is incredibly versatile, and they have one of the brightest, punchiest-sounding passive pickups I've ever heard, not even counting the active with treble boost setting.

Good purchase man. (ps- the setting I find I use the most is both pickups, series and active without treble boost, knobs rolled to full)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

3toes posted:

EDIT: And here's Ed Friedland doing a demo of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o
Ugh, some of his videos are ok but that's one of the worst. Slapping through every pickup combination is not the best way to show off the L2000 (because the majority of combos do not work well with slap).

For GRBass, to summarize the video and briefly breakdown the controls, the L2000 has:

two humbuckers
volume, bass cut, treble cut
three way pickup selection
series/parallel selection
passive/active/active with treble boost

Those switches will give you 18 combinations, but of course not all of them are good. In general, parallel is going to be weaker (and thinner) than series, and active and passive don't sound too different (active is a touch louder).

Neck pickup, series, passive - close to a P-Bass sound. Its a pretty big sound, add some treble boost to really cut through

Both pickups, series, passive - similar to a J-Bass sound.

Bridge pickup, parallel, active - as close to a Stingray as you'll get. Its a pretty weak sound, not much bass. You can add the treble boost to get some more presence, but that's not going to help the weak low end at all.

Both pickups, parallel, pre-amp to taste - probably the best use of the parallel mode. Somewhat of a J-Bass sound, but different enough from the series option.

Both pickups, series, active with treble boost - huge sound, you can get some Tool-like tones out of this.

There are plenty of other combos, but nothing really that great (you'll probably never want to use the neck pickup in parallel, for instance). The volume level between settings can vary greatly, so you'll need to be mindful of that if you're changing settings on the fly.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

active and passive don't sound too different (active is a touch louder).

Not sure if the G&L's have it... but the Lakland preamps (as well as their older Bartolini pres) had an Input Gain Trimmer on the board and you could adjust the levels, evening out the volume boost between Active/Passive modes. Atleast that was my understanding of it.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
Awesome thanks for the tips fellas!

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Pawn shop find!

Click here for the full 1024x676 image.

Ca. 1981 Peavey T-60. Saw this little guy hanging around and I needed a project guitar. Previous owner put in a Gibson style bridge & tailpiece, and a brass nut (not sure whether those came standard), and also broke all of the switches and most of the electronics. So I replaced the selector and phase in/out switch and rewired everything back to original in that respect. But the way these came is that it turns from a humbucker to a single-coil depending on the position of the tone knob, which is super-de-duper gay, so I wired them up to individual coil-splitting switches. Now she's a real workhorse, and I have seemingly every tonal option I could forseeably use... so I'm pretty happy.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Synonamess Botch posted:

Pawn shop find!

Hate you

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bought Today:

Thoughts:

Not the Metal I, that's for sure. The Metal I has a more "overdriving the gently caress out of this JCM800" tone, the Metal II is a more modern sound. The mid-cut switch (Off/Low/High) makes tonal adjustments easy, provided you like how it sounds already. It is possible that the tone circuitry is totally responsible for the change in their sounds - after all, the Danelectro Fab Tone is the Boss Metalzone with different input and tone stack circuitry; the EHX Metal Muff is the Digitech Grunge with different input and tone stack circuitry. The way you shape what's going into and coming out of the clipping engine can make it sound completely different. So I wouldn't be taken aback if it turns out that they're built off of the same distortion design but with different surrounding components. However, I want to stress that it does not, really at all, sound like the Metal I. It even seems to have more gain available - the Metal I seems to max out about where the Metal II is at 1/2-3/4ths gain.

I actually like it just as much as the Metal I (and it's more "brutal" sounding, too), but the Metal I's three-band EQ is a lot more precise if you're looking to have control over your tone. Neat.

And coming soon to a board near me...

Can't wait! :q:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
So is the II and a Fish n' Chips a better pairing for a modern sound? These are just showing up on European sites and there's only a 2 euro difference in price between the I and II.

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

Pawn shop find!

Click here for the full 1024x676 image.

Ca. 1981 Peavey T-60. Saw this little guy hanging around and I needed a project guitar. Previous owner put in a Gibson style bridge & tailpiece, and a brass nut (not sure whether those came standard), and also broke all of the switches and most of the electronics. So I replaced the selector and phase in/out switch and rewired everything back to original in that respect. But the way these came is that it turns from a humbucker to a single-coil depending on the position of the tone knob, which is super-de-duper gay, so I wired them up to individual coil-splitting switches. Now she's a real workhorse, and I have seemingly every tonal option I could forseeably use... so I'm pretty happy.

Haha, holy poo poo dude, that's awesome. My dad gave me his T-60 a couple months ago and I absolutely love love love it. Did you find exact replicas for the switches when you replaced them? I had swapped out a broken one a while ago but had to use a generic one - it's not really noticeable, but I'd like to have the full suite.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

the wizards beard posted:

So is the II and a Fish n' Chips a better pairing for a modern sound? These are just showing up on European sites and there's only a 2 euro difference in price between the I and II.

BTW how much is a pedal shipped from thomann? Other times I've ordered it's been over the free shipping limit. Looking at the Cool Cat Chorus myself.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

chemicalhero posted:

Haha, holy poo poo dude, that's awesome. My dad gave me his T-60 a couple months ago and I absolutely love love love it. Did you find exact replicas for the switches when you replaced them? I had swapped out a broken one a while ago but had to use a generic one - it's not really noticeable, but I'd like to have the full suite.

I used generic Radioshack switches for everything but the pup selector, which I used an Allparts for. Nothing else on it is stock anyway and it was like 15 bucks total so I figured, why not?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Honestly, it doesn't require an EQ for a "modern sound." It just sort of is a modern sound on either of its two mid contour switch settings. The flat setting would be great with a Fish n' Chips if you were looking for more precision in shaping your sound, though. This and a Fish n' Chips gets you more mileage than the Metal-I and the Fish n' Chips, if you ask me, just because the Fish n' Chips makes the Metal-I's three-band EQ redundant for actual use (be my guest if you want to ULTRA MEGA SCOOP AND BOOST, but it's going to sound like rear end), while it doesn't really do the same thing as the Metal-II's mid switch. But the Metal-I seems (and I guess I should emphasize seems since it is still possible that the only difference is the tone circuitry) to have less gain on tap than the Metal-II...

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 5, 2008

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Sweet freakin pedal. Tom Morello here I come.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Gramps posted:

How fast is the delay? I can't my computer to run something to be pitched down two octaves in less than 10 milliseconds.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

BTW how much is a pedal shipped from thomann? Other times I've ordered it's been over the free shipping limit. Looking at the Cool Cat Chorus myself.

I think it's a 15 euro flat rate, so if you can know someone who wants something it's best to split shipping.

Agreed posted:

Thanks, I was thinking of getting one of these to pair with a Fish n' Chips. I don't want a super-scooped sound, just a fairly modern high-gain sound for DM or grind. Think I'll try the Metal II.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

IanTheM posted:

How fast is the delay? I can't my computer to run something to be pitched down two octaves in less than 10 milliseconds.

It's pretty fast, but it really only tracks well on single notes. I mostly use it for the intelligent harmony and the whammy pedal effects.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thanks, I was thinking of getting one of these to pair with a Fish n' Chips. I don't want a super-scooped sound, just a fairly modern high-gain sound for DM or grind. Think I'll try the Metal II.

I've got a lot of experience in high gain pedals, and I feel pretty confident saying that this is easily the best pedal 'til you hit the higher end ones, and it actually it swings pretty well there too, much like the rest of the Cool Cats. Danelectro really knocked it outta' the park with this series.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Agreed posted:

I've got a lot of experience in high gain pedals, and I feel pretty confident saying that this is easily the best pedal 'til you hit the higher end ones, and it actually it swings pretty well there too, much like the rest of the Cool Cats. Danelectro really knocked it outta' the park with this series.

Ever tried the Line6 Uber Metal? Interested in your opinion.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Gramps posted:

I'm sorry, you don't have enough of them yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGMndEI3z2o

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zakalwe posted:

Ever tried the Line6 Uber Metal? Interested in your opinion.

It's really not that bad, at all. I like the Digitech Metal Master better, though. More clarity at high volumes.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Cynicide posted:

Let's hear it for keyboards that can play themselves.

I am the proud owner of a Korg Karma after a lucky win on Ebay.

I will be getting the famous DX7 very soon. Right now it's in the mail somewhere.

The Karma sounds very weird and interesting. I'm not sure I understand what it does. Does it generates notes by itself or what? Congrats on your purchase though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

I'm sorry, you don't have enough of them yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGMndEI3z2o

That was pretty neat, but kind of retarded too. Definitely different. I usually don't "get" that avant garde stuff.