Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ynotony posted:

^^ could have been replaced with another plastic one.

The metal impellers that superseded the plastic bladed ones were themselves replaced with a "composite impeller" type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
Finally got my aftermarket head unit installed. Is there any market out there for a 6 disc changer from a '97 E36, or should I just let it take up space in my trunk?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Finally got my aftermarket head unit installed. Is there any market out there for a 6 disc changer from a '97 E36, or should I just let it take up space in my trunk?

Google says it's iBus so it should work for E46s as well. Of course I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
While we're on this topic, I just finished installing a fantastic quality (read: not OOMTISSOOMTISS BestBuy status) sound system.

Here is a link to my build thread on DIYmobileaudio.com.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

While we're on this topic

I just read your thread on Bimmerforums no wonder those pics are so familiar :)

I just posted this on Bimmerforums but I guess I'll put it here. I know there's a "build car audio" megathread and I have it on my subscriptions but it seems that BMWs with DSP have a harder time so I'm putting it here instead.

quote:

E39 with DSP audio system build-i know nothing

Yes I know absolutely nothing about audio systems, and from what I've read it seems like BMWs are more difficult to set up, especially ones with DSP. That may or not be true but it's what I feel.

The car is a 97 540 with DSP. Everything is stock on the vehicle. I want to have somebody pick out a system for me that is under $1000 (or even under $500 if it nets me something decent). I would prefer to spend as little as possible (I'm not rich) and I don't hear as well as most people so it doesn't have to be audiophile quality. I have no experience doing anything electrical other than putting new speakers in a car but I have plenty of mechanical experience.

I listen to very little rap, mostly industrial, rock, metal, classic rock. I like the lower bass notes because of my hearing loss so unless I run into an amazing system or I'm listening to live music I'm not going to be hearing high notes (cymbals and the like).

I know I need a new amp and a new sub (10-15 inch?) and enclosure. Front speakers as well if needed. I don't know about the HU in this car and won't touch it if it's not needed. I listen to all my music via iPod so I might be looking into an aux input kit but the one on BSW is pretty expensive ($200). I currently use either a tape adaptor or one of the Griffin FM charger connector ones with variable stations.

I want to purchase all of my stuff online because of cost concerns. The audio sounds alright in the car right now but I feel that a subwoofer is sorely needed. I don't want it going BOOM BOOM BOOM all the time but the system sorely lacks some kick in the low/low-mids.

I have used search and can't ever seem to find anything that fits what I need, and if it's not very simple I'm not going to understand it very well. Please help me out if you can and don't shoot me for this post. :P

Tastiekayk
Feb 19, 2007

big snorlax poppin lil munchlax stoppin
Yeah i have an all original parts 88 e30 m3 hennarot, will post some pictures when I get back to the house.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Tastiekayk posted:

Yeah i have an all original parts 88 e30 m3 hennarot, will post some pictures when I get back to the house.

If for some way off chance you decide to do an engine swap, I'll buy the S14B23 off of you.

Tastiekayk
Feb 19, 2007

big snorlax poppin lil munchlax stoppin
Haha, nah that cars pretty much my baby especially it being hennarot and all, gonna be keeping it all in great/originial condition

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Yeah, I figured.

Welp, I can always fall back on S14.net

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lufiron posted:

Yeah, I figured.

Welp, I can always fall back on S14.net
Thinking of building an M2?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

rope kid posted:

Thinking of building an M2?

Thinking? poo poo is happening. Got the thing down to bare metal at the moment, but I have most drivetrain (E21 320is rear diff and trans) and interior parts sorted. I'm just waiting on sheet metal from germany to come in. I might use an M3 trans though if I can get it with the S14.

No Project thread will be posted until it is done. Two tone paint scheme too, with that chrome strip as the dividing point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lufiron posted:

No Project thread will be posted until it is done. Two tone paint scheme too, with that chrome strip as the dividing point.
Not even at say 66% through?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Not even at say 66% through?

Well, I might if I can get everything mocked up and ready for paint. Even then, this won't be until sometime next year.

I am taking pics of every step in the process, so don't think I'm not thinking of AI, though. I just see too many project threads die and projects never get completed. Its almost like a jinx.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
On E46 M3's, do the mirrors fold forward, like if somebody clips your car?

Nait Sirhc posted:

Also, if you're shopping for BMWs, BUY ONE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Seriously. These cars are a BLAST to drive and you miss out on half the fun if you're letting the car drive itself.

How about the e46 M3 with the SMG?

b0nes fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 1, 2008

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

b0nes posted:

How about the e46 M3 with the SMG?

Its hot or cold with that. Some people love the SMG, but I personally don't like it. I'd much prefer the manual instead. The DCT in the new E9x M3 is a lot better, though.

b0nes posted:

On E46 M3's, do the mirrors fold forward, like if somebody clips your car?

They do, but they're not supposed to. You could be luckly and have no damage, or you could find your mirror dangling by the wires.

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 1, 2008

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Does anyone here remember the news story about the 19 year old who ran his dad's BMW M5 off the end of a runway, killing himself and 4 friends at 120mph? The cops finally found someone to charge.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20080831/NEWS/808310253/1002&title=Around_the_Region_for_Sept__1

Woman gets 10 days jail in car crash case

OCALA — A college student will serve three weekends of jail time after pleading no contest to giving false information to investigators about a crash that killed five men in central Florida.

Prosecutors offered Natalie Thayer 10 days of jail time and will withhold adjudication on a first-degree misdemeanor charge under a plea deal.

One of the victims in the deadly January crash was Thayer’s boyfriend.

Authorities say the passengers pushed the car to its limits when the speeding BMW sailed off the runway of an airstrip in an upscale community north of Ocala. The car was traveling at 120 mph when it hit a tree.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Woman gets 10 days jail in car crash case

OCALA — A college student will serve three weekends of jail time

Someone help me out here:
A) 3 weekends in jail? Is it some sort of stupid compromise so she can go to school on the weekdays?
B) how does 3 weekends = 10 days?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well I'm kinda tired of daily driving my beat 328i track/autox car and I'm considering a 99-00 M Coupe.

Any owners on here with any input on buying one? How different/similar of a driving experience is it compared to a e36? I'm aware of the subframe issues and plan on taking my time to select the right car this time (was in a rush when buying the 328).

It's such a shame how hard it is to find a good M Coupe that isn't silver or black :(

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD

maxallen posted:

Google says it's iBus so it should work for E46s as well. Of course I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it.
From looking around on eBay, as far as I can tell they're going anywhere from $30 to $150. If for some reason I can't sell it though, I'll be sure to send you a PM.

I need to get it out of the car first though... I just took a peek at it, and it looks like it might be a pain to get that mounting kit out of there.

case
Mar 27, 2005

Gave my new car a wash. BMW 325i Sport Mtec2 '89

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The gearbox in my E36 is quite notchy to shift, and feels jerky when bringing the clutch up. Occasionally when driving hard it will crunch and not go into gear, I'm not sure but I think its usually when going 3-4.

I was thinking it could be one or more or all of these things...
Engine Mounts
Transmission Mounts
Diff Mounts
RTAB's (no knocking over bumps though)
Gubbed Clutch (Perhaps not disengaging properly?)
Knackered Gearbox

What do you guys think?

It's a '95 325 TDS (6cyl diesel M51 engine, 5sp manual) with 144k on the clock.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

case posted:

Gave my new car a wash. BMW 325i Sport Mtec2 '89

Can I have your car? Please?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Got my iPod issue fixed (apparently the AUX input level also effects iPod levels), but now I've got a new issue brewing. It seems like the brakes on my 2002 530 have started pulling hard right, typically at the end of a stop and usually when they are hot. What should I look at to troubleshoot this?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

stump posted:

The gearbox in my E36 is quite notchy to shift, and feels jerky when bringing the clutch up. Occasionally when driving hard it will crunch and not go into gear, I'm not sure but I think its usually when going 3-4.

Gearbox might be on its way out. First thing to try is fluid -- I've had some good luck in both the BMW world and the Honda world with using an uprated fluid to fix crunchy transmissions. For the BMW, I'd recommend the Royal Purple Synchromax if you can find it -- it noticably reduced shifting effort and improved synchro performance.

The jerkyness may be due to a CDV (clutch delay valve) which is a popular removal item on DIY forums, or it might be something else entirely. You can remove yours pretty easily at the same time as you're changing the tranny fluid, but you'll have to bleed the clutch, which (I believe) requires a power bleeder of some sort.

If that doesn't help address your issue, I'd move to transmission mounts next.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 2, 2008

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wwb posted:

the brakes on my 2002 530 have started pulling hard right, typically at the end of a stop and usually when they are hot. What should I look at to troubleshoot this?

1) Tires are most often the cause of this. How old are they?

2) Jack up the car and take a look at the brake pads and rotors, front and back. You need to check both inner and outer pads and the thickness of the rotors. Make sure they're all nice and meaty.

3) While the wheels are off and you're looking around in there, see if the brake caliper pin is sticky/corroded at any point.

4) Bleed the brakes.

5) Take it to a shop.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks Sterndotstern.

1) Tires are 8 month old Bridgestone Potenzas, with plenty of treadware left.

I'll try and figure out where I can jack up the car to have a look at the other stuff. How tricky is bleeding the brakes?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Sterndotstern posted:

Fluid/CDV..
Cheers, I've ordered some Synchromax and see I'll what that does.

I did wonder about it being the CDV when I read about them in the Porsche thread, my car has the characteristics of having one fitted but I assumed that the E39 5-er was the first one to have it. A bit of googling suggests some E36's had it so I'll check that out too.

If the diff/transmission/engine mounts aren't too hard to do I might do them when I finally get round to doing the suspension bushes.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

wwb posted:

I'll try and figure out where I can jack up the car to have a look at the other stuff. How tricky is bleeding the brakes?

Just a quick comment. If this problem has been there since your last brake service, then I would agree to look into the possibility of having air in the brake lines. It sounds like this has started recently and gotten worse? If so, look for something mechanical: pads, rotors, bushings. I doubt it would be anything having to do with the brake fluid.

My guess is that you have some pads that are getting to the end of their life, and/or a frozen brake caliper.

VVVVVV Tire pressures can definitely add to a steering wobble - but typically at higher speeds and both under braking as well as general cruising. Can't hurt, though. At the end of pad-life, you can get all sorts of weirdness.

usurper fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 3, 2008

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I've had the car 2 weeks, and when I bought it the more car knowledgeable friend of mine noted that the front pads were getting to the end, so I suspect I got them to the end relatively quickly.

I did do a visual on the way to work, and I also noticed that the front right tire looked a bit low, could this cause this sort of thing?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wwb posted:

stuff

Both can cause a car to pull. Definitely address both items SOON.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks guys, I'll add some air and see how that does and figure out when I can get 'er in for a brake service.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Well, a few months ago I hit a curb with my 330Ci. I just had the upper control arm replaced, and the alignment shop tells me it's still got +1" of toe, and it looks like the trailing arm is bent. Anyone know where I can get one for relatively cheap. Pelican lists it at $700 for the right rear, and it's 330 specific. I already called up Bavarian Auto Recycling and they were out of stock. I really can't afford the $700 right now, and I have no idea when Bavarian will get one in. Any ideas?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
This just popped up on kijiji today: Import 1988 325IX

This is literally the first decent condition 325IX I have ever seen (living in nova scotia 4WD would be a huge bonus), so I fired off an email to try and get a look ASAP. Are there any large differences between european/north american e30s that I should look out for?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

This is literally the first decent condition 325IX I have ever seen (living in nova scotia 4WD would be a huge bonus), so I fired off an email to try and get a look ASAP.

whoa, BMW had AWD back then?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

kimbo305 posted:

whoa, BMW had AWD back then?

Yeah. Viscous center differential, rear LSD with approx a 40/60 front/rear nominal torque split which apparently gives neutral handling. Pretty salivating when you have 3-4 months of snow to play around in. There are already limited numbers around here, and most of them are beat to hell and need a lot of repair work. A good condition 325iX demands a high cost, but IMO it's worth it.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 4, 2008

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008
2000M5 - pretty much stock. 50k miles.

Gimik fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 4, 2008

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Gimik posted:

2000M5 - pretty much stock. 50k miles.
Your car I take it? Why don't you remove that stupid front plate if you don't have a plate in it? You could always store the bracket in your trunk with the plate in case you get pulled over (depending on the laws in your region). Beautiful car though. I wish I had a real job and real money and I would have just gotten an M5 instead of the 540, but I'm still young so it's not a big deal.

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008

Xenoid posted:

Your car I take it? Why don't you remove that stupid front plate if you don't have a plate in it? You could always store the bracket in your trunk with the plate in case you get pulled over (depending on the laws in your region). Beautiful car though. I wish I had a real job and real money and I would have just gotten an M5 instead of the 540, but I'm still young so it's not a big deal.

Yes, mine. I like the front plate! :devil: I always wanted an M5 with the chrome front plate - I know it's tacky and I'll get sick of it some day (getting close now), but I don't think it's THAT bad. AZ doesn't have a front plate law.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Test drove the 325iX tonight. I think I'm going to be a little poorer next week. Originally from france, has pretty much every service record/recipt, from ~8000mi to now. It just had new brakes put on it as well, along with an all around fluid change.

It does need a tiny bit of work, mainly just the exhaust. Body is in the condition you'd expect for a 20 year old car. Two dents and a scratch or two, but absolutely no rust. Engine sounds great, steering feels good and it pulls pretty well. I didn't really wring it out because the gearbox/clutch are radically different from my civic.

The seller had five E30s around his garages/yard. Two 325iX's (The one I'm going to buy, and his own red one), a 318 convertible, a (half) race prepped 318iS, and a mint condition M3 with 50k miles. Quite a sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Test drove the 325iX tonight. I think I'm going to be a little poorer next week. Originally from france, has pretty much every service record/recipt, from ~8000mi to now. It just had new brakes put on it as well, along with an all around fluid change.

It does need a tiny bit of work, mainly just the exhaust. Body is in the condition you'd expect for a 20 year old car. Two dents and a scratch or two, but absolutely no rust. Engine sounds great, steering feels good and it pulls pretty well. I didn't really wring it out because the gearbox/clutch are radically different from my civic.

The seller had five E30s around his garages/yard. Two 325iX's (The one I'm going to buy, and his own red one), a 318 convertible, a (half) race prepped 318iS, and a mint condition M3 with 50k miles. Quite a sight.

Buy and post pics please.

Coworker of mine has a 325iX and is a blast to drive. God I love E30s. I'm almost tempted to sell my E28 for an E30 now.