Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah Man vs Wild was Louisiana Swamps. Or 1 hour of bear killing every animal in sight and taking one bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

AFewBricksShy posted:

Mythbusters is doing the Moon Landing hoaxes tonight.

This episode was enormously entertaining. I still get a bit of a chubby from space stuff so I felt my geekiness rising throughout.

You're all, however, perfectly correct that the :tinfoil:s will simply cite this episode as the proof that it was faked. But in doing so they'll at least have to abandon their "Hollywood Set" nonsense and wrap their brains around a flying 1000SqFt warehouse doing parabolas in the air.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anyone who thought the moon landing was faked was irrevocably insane anyway, so no big deal.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

TLG James posted:

gently caress, there was a new Man vs Wild & mythbusters tonight? drat THE DNC!!

It's really hard to find MVW episodes anymore since it seems like he feel out of favor.

They've moved it to Wednesday night. Killing that gator looked a lot easier than I thought it would be, although I've got to wonder if it was planted there for him to find.

I had low expectations for the moon landing Mythbusters but it was actually very good. I love how any time they cover anything controversial they take plenty of time to say "Listen, I know we're going to get a bunch of email complaints, but...".

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-St_ltH90Oc

Mythbusters was going to do another episode exploring the weaknesses and myths surrounding RFID chips and RFID technology.

Watch the start of the clip to find out why they didn't and likely will never touch RFID again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Free Market Gravy posted:

Mythbusters was going to do another episode exploring the weaknesses and myths surrounding RFID chips and RFID technology.

Watch the start of the clip to find out why they didn't and likely will never touch RFID again.

Adam: You've got Smash Labs also on Discovery...
Audience: BOOO!
Adam: Yeah, I know, I know.

Hahaha awesome.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Free Market Gravy posted:

It was pretty mind blowing to hear Adam say 'gently caress'. Highlight though was drunk Adam on a treadmil and him navigating in one of his directories.

Thanks for this, pretty interesting.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Adam: You've got Smash Labs also on Discovery...
Audience: BOOO!
Adam: Yeah, I know, I know.

Hahaha awesome.

I laughed at that, too :lol:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI - I was going to post this earlier but it slipped my mind. New Mythbusters tonight - it was pulled from the schedule at the last minute the week it was supposed to air, so in my Tivo guide it was marked as a repeat and my season pass didn't catch it.

Anyway, it's a new episode, taking on Viral Videos. I'm sure this won't be the last viral video show, it's a subject that's ripe with potential "myths".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LordOfThePants posted:

FYI - I was going to post this earlier but it slipped my mind. New Mythbusters tonight - it was pulled from the schedule at the last minute the week it was supposed to air, so in my Tivo guide it was marked as a repeat and my season pass didn't catch it.

Anyway, it's a new episode, taking on Viral Videos. I'm sure this won't be the last viral video show, it's a subject that's ripe with potential "myths".

Torri just got kicked in the nuts by a goat. This is the best episode of the season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This was a really cool episode. I just hope that for the next viral video episode, they don't do ones that are already confirmed as true. The rocket car and the sawdust cannon were cool. But the heavy air was already on Jay Leno and the fainting goats is confirmed because that is what they are called. So they could have just done half an episode and given you the same info.

Still fun to watch though.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
The viral ep is pretty cool thus far; granted the whole Kari flash was just blatantly fishing for ratings.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I'll never understand why Adam and Jamie, and then Tori, Grant and Kari have to pretend like they just came up with the idea of what myth they'll be doing at the beginning of the show. They are all horrible actors and it just never made sense to me.

Although, the viral episode is pretty drat good.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

PopeOnARope posted:

The viral ep is pretty cool thus far; granted the whole Kari flash was just blatantly fishing for ratings.

I think the ratings grab would of worked much better if it had been toward the camera. Though something tells me all of her parts were covered. I love the fact that the one they didn’t have time to out on tv, was made by a goon!

I forgot his user name but he basically made a video showing that you could power a I pod with a lemon and Gatorade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

-Atom- posted:

I'll never understand why Adam and Jamie, and then Tori, Grant and Kari have to pretend like they just came up with the idea of what myth they'll be doing at the beginning of the show. They are all horrible actors and it just never made sense to me.

Although, the viral episode is pretty drat good.

She was wearing the same kind of suit she wore when they scanned her rear end. Unless her skin really looks like that.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Just watching it again and seeing Adam breath in the heavier then air gas. I had a teacher in high school do this, the problem was that the gas stayed in his lungs because it was so much heavier. A bunch of us had to hold him up side down to he could breath again. I have to wonder if this happened to adam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pretty sure your diaphragm has the ability to push air out of your lungs. How do you think you get rid of CO2 which is heavier than O2 and Nitrogen?

lecherousjester
Jul 17, 2003

Creating the illusion of offense since 1999
Did anyone hear Kari Byron say comedy gold? She's gotta be a goon.

All in all though, I remember the day when I used to get excited about Mythbusters and it seemed like Adam, Jamie, and everyone else were just as excited. I just can't help but feel like they all hate eachother and just put on a face to do the show, and it's lost a ton of what seemed to be genuine unpredictability in the earlier episodes and has just become a slightly more exciting alternative to How It's Made that doesn't make me go to sleep as easily. Holy run-on sentence.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

-Atom- posted:

I was watching a rerun recently where they were doing to paper-folding myth, which was pretty blatant in the "we're already filmed the myth segment we're about to introduce" department.

Kari's hair switched from one style during the intro the something completely different during the myth and then back when they were doing the recap.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Guys, then do those myth introduction segments because it is a TV show. They aren't trying to fool you. They're just setting up the segment and trying to keep the show lively. Why does this need analysis?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

The Human Crouton posted:

Guys, then do those myth introduction segments because it is a TV show. They aren't trying to fool you. They're just setting up the segment and trying to keep the show lively. Why does this need analysis?

It isn't really an analysis. I'm just saying they could probably do without it and just explain the myth, what they need to do and then go do it without sounding like fools.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

-Atom- posted:

It isn't really an analysis. I'm just saying they could probably do without it and just explain the myth, what they need to do and then go do it without sounding like fools.

Yeah but this way lowers potential confusion and fills up minutes. It's all about effective time management. Is Grant in the show less often that Tori and Kari or am I imagining things?

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Soylentbits posted:

Yeah but this way lowers potential confusion and fills up minutes. It's all about effective time management. Is Grant in the show less often that Tori and Kari or am I imagining things?

He did have a myth in this show all by himself but they cut it for time, it's on the website though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well I've clearly fallen behind on Man vs. Wild and I missed the Siberia episode way back when? Is there any place to watch these once they air or what? Also, he is doing one in South Dakota next week which is pretty loving awesome!

daveb29
May 21, 2007
SMD
I don't care if they are running out of ideas on Mythbusters they made a car hover with firehoses! :clint:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

daveb29 posted:

I don't care if they are running out of ideas on Mythbusters they made a car hover with firehoses! :clint:

The phonebook clip for next week looks hilarious.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When Adam spoke with the heavy gas in his lung he sounded uncannily like Penn Jillette from Penn & teller.

For a moment I even thought they were dubbing him in or, for one marvellous instant, that Penn was offscreen speaking while Adam mimed.

daveb29
May 21, 2007
SMD

Gorilla Salad posted:

When Adam spoke with the heavy gas in his lung he sounded uncannily like Penn Jillette from Penn & teller.

For a moment I even thought they were dubbing him in or, for one marvellous instant, that Penn was offscreen speaking while Adam mimed.

I have to admit I let out a really loud laugh at that. I woke up my wife and she was none to pleased. Bring on the phone books!

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Anybody know when Dirty Jobs comes back?

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Was no one watching the new Mythbusters tonight? I can't be the only one who tried (and failed) to tear apart a phone book after watching Adam do it so easily.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I was going to try and do that today. In high school we had this former body builder/pro football player who used steroids come and talk to us about the harm of using steroids. It was a big show where they did feats of strength, the highlight was tearing a phone book apart. I feel so cheated now, it was just a magic act.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aero737 posted:

I was going to try and do that today. In high school we had this former body builder/pro football player who used steroids come and talk to us about the harm of using steroids. It was a big show where they did feats of strength, the highlight was tearing a phone book apart. I feel so cheated now, it was just a magic act.

I remember we had one of those too, I thought it was so badass that when I got home I spent half an hour trying it myself.

Now tearing a deck of playing cards in half while wearing oven mitts, I'd love to see that tested. Some guy who didn't look particularly strong used to do that on Regis & Kathie Lee every now and then, along with things like holding the two of them up from a cable by his pinky and holding two motorcycles together as they were moving in opposite directions.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I remember we had one of those too, I thought it was so badass that when I got home I spent half an hour trying it myself.

Now tearing a deck of playing cards in half while wearing oven mitts, I'd love to see that tested. Some guy who didn't look particularly strong used to do that on Regis & Kathie Lee every now and then, along with things like holding the two of them up from a cable by his pinky and holding two motorcycles together as they were moving in opposite directions.

I saw a show about strength on one of these educational channels and they had a somewhat old, bald guy ROLLING frying pans with his bare hands. He also bent a thick rear end wrench. He said it's all about leverage. He also said it hurts to do it but he just ignores the pain. They had footage of him being pulled by two cars going in different directions and he was holding them steady.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Anyone notice Jamie doing more narration than usual on the last few episodes of Mythbusters?

I've been watching Into the Unknown with Josh Burnstein (Mondays at 10pm). The host had a show on The History Channel where he went in search of things like the holy grail, the Ark of the Covenant, and the history of the city of Petra. It was pretty cool in sort of a "real life Indiana Jones" way. I thought I'd give his show on Discovery a shot, but the first episode I saw didn't really grab me. Last week's episode was really cool - there is a tribe in Papua New Guinea that used to practice mummification, but when the Christian missionaries came in, they convinced them to stop. There was one elder in the village who knew the process and he wanted to be mummified himself. He taught the villagers how it was done, with the hopes that they'd mummify him when he died. They mummies sit on a cliff overlooking the village and watch over the village as their protectors, so it's a big deal to be mummified in that way.

They had a mummy expert come in and they brought down the mummy of the elder's father. He was in pretty good shape considering he had been out in the elements for something like 50 years. They restored the mummy using local materials and returned him to a cliff. They taught the restoration process to the villagers and it seemed to renew their interest in the practice, so hopefully they'll carry out his wish when he does die.

I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but I'm willing to give the show another shot after last week's episode.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
New episode of Mythbusters tonight, apparently something involving a stun gun.

quote:

MythBusters
Water Stun Gun
TV-PG

On this episode of Mythbusters, Adam and Jamie investigate a secret agent myth - that you can turn a conventional electric stun gun into a water-powered electric stun gun.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

What is with Tory in this week's myth intro segments? He's talking like he just snorted a line of the finest Columbian white before he went on camera.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

Josh Burnstein

I never liked this guy after watching him destroy that native american's priceless bow artifact. He was just so nonchalant about destroying the guy's history. "Wow, this is a really neat bow! *pulls the string back* *bow breaks in half* Wow, sorry."

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think that shot of a Tesla Coil directly arcing from a glowing red water stream into a (ballistic gel) human body is one of my life's dreams fulfilled.

I need an HD screencap of that.

uuugghhhhhhhh jr
Nov 19, 2005

ugh
Haha, I'm suprised Adam actually burned his feet. I was under the impression that it was safe and easy to walk across fire, I didn't realize that there was actually a little bit of a trick to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Just saw a post for History Hacker on lifehacker today. It looks promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5DWyVrvlY

Premiers tonight at 8 (I'm assuming EDT?)

• Locked thread