Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Malachi Constant posted:

Between TACS and Dr. Drew Live I don't feel like I have to subject myself to Stryker. The only reason to listen to it now is Drew's advice, and a lot of that is repetitive and I still get that on Drew's show. Everyone says it, but Stryker really does make the show unlistenable.

I never knew about Dr. Drew live, but I just looked it up and it's a great program. I'm glad he brought engineer Anderson to the show; he was my favorite engineer for Loveline.

e: You can download recent shows here. It's nowhere near the Loveline archive, but it's decent if you want to keep up with the show but can't listen live. I think you can get shows off iTunes as a podcast as well.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I enjoyed the Loveline episodes where it was just Dr. Drew. I love Adam Carolla, but sometimes it's refreshing to listen to something informative for two hours (after listening to four hours of TACS, that is).

Sumac fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LetsDeauxThis
Aug 19, 2008
I am sure it has been said... a few times why different people hate stryker, but what is the main reason?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LetsDeauxThis posted:

I am sure it has been said... a few times why different people hate stryker, but what is the main reason?

He's a real radio personality. (read: he has none)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Phone posted:

He's a real radio personality. (read: he has none)

I think it's a combination of this and growing up with Adam Carolla. Even if they replaced him with someone better, those of us who listened to him and Dr. Drew for a sizable chunk of our youth aren't going to be very receptive to someone new coming in and changing the flow of the program.

Also most of us were first exposed to him when he was an unfunny jackass who sometimes filled in for Adam.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I never knew about Dr. Drew live, but I just looked it up and it's a great program. I'm glad he brought engineer Anderson to the show; he was my favorite engineer for Loveline.

e: You can download recent shows here. It's nowhere near the Loveline archive, but it's decent if you want to keep up with the show but can't listen live. I think you can get shows off iTunes as a podcast as well.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I enjoyed the Loveline episodes where it was just Dr. Drew. I love Adam Carolla, but sometimes it's refreshing to listen to something informative for two hours (after listening to four hours of TACS, that is).

A better source is www.drdrewlive.com. You can get the podcast there with the commercial breaks edited out.

I like how he is able to talk to an audience of intelligent adults rather than trying to dumb things down for teenagers. He still does bad radio, though. I wish Adam was there sometimes to bust his balls for it. Anderson's contributions are fun, too.

LetsDeauxThis posted:

Its cliche at this point but he really is the stereotypical DJ that Adam made fun of so often. He's like a mix between Adam's lightning round and a strip club DJ. There's no sense that he's a real person.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

The problem I always had with solo Drew (as in just Drew, no Adam and no guests) was that he was so giddy about getting to more phone calls that he'd rush through every call just to get a good tally going. He'd skip over big details that I knew Adam would go into if he were on the show. Same thing can be said for the early Adam years with Ricky Rachtman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm listening to the 1999-05-06 Dixie Chicks show, and Adam discussing an upcoming show, Adam said 'If you like Dixie Chicks, you'll love the Insane Clown Posse.'

Isn't this a line that someone like Zack Galifiankis or Patton Oswalt does? It's really familiar. Adam definitely wasn't referencing something old, sounds like he's been ripped a wee bit.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Sounds like a pretty common joke to me. Just like Adam's "Coming up on the show we have Mr. T and Martha Stewart. Same person really, kind of a redundant booking" joke he does on TACS.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

The pHo posted:

I'm listening to the 1999-05-06 Dixie Chicks show, and Adam discussing an upcoming show, Adam said 'If you like Dixie Chicks, you'll love the Insane Clown Posse.'

Isn't this a line that someone like Zack Galifiankis or Patton Oswalt does? It's really familiar. Adam definitely wasn't referencing something old, sounds like he's been ripped a wee bit.

It was in Galifianakis' Live at the Purple Onion DVD. Older people in the audience said they'd heard about Zach at a Mort Sahl show and Zach made a joke that the parallel between Mort Sahl and Zach was like saying "If you like Barry Manilow, you're gonna LOVE the Insane Clown Posse!"

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag

LetsDeauxThis posted:

I think the best reason is this - Adam was very funny. Even a huge Stryker fan wouldn't call him funny, as he doesn't attempt to be funny. He's just a regular guy. Which is why he's such a bad choice for the show, there's no incentive for someone to listen. I honestly never would have listened to Loveline more than once if I had tuned in and just heard a doctor babbling on about child abuse while some other generic friendly guy talked just to fill space.

A funny, entertaining element to the show is crucial to educating people, otherwise kids aren't going to listen to it.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
So I've been trying to spread around the show to friends and I've decided to make up a CD of their best bits:

Adam helps a 14yr old asking a girl out,
In order to catch an international jewel thief Hack will have to become, a rapist
John Stamos Presents: Paedophile Island
The Cassie Call
The Romantic and Mysterious Doctor X
Lightning Round
Penis Size (some kid calling up is told that the normal size is 14 inches)
Vaginal or Oral, Get with the Program
Best Caller Ever / Ghandi of Scrotums
Holocaust Call
Sex and the City (Dr. Drew talking about sex compulsives)
Who Makes More Drew? Seinfeld or...

So do you have any suggestions? Small 5 minute segments are the best. I'll post up the mp3s of the final 80 minute CD version.

I'm looking for that episode where the lightning round turns into a rant against those DJs and Adam starts saying (something like) "24 from the top of hour the witching hour *cow-bell* That's your life? Blah blah blah that's your life?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME THAT's YOUR LIFE?!"

Also, what's a good episode for the smoke detector bit?

ps. I hadn't seen this posted, Trailer: Hack will become, a rapist

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 26, 2008

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Try to get these two particular bits:

-Adam asks a female caller how tall her door is, gets enraged after she can't give him a straight answer
-Male caller describes himself as "5'12, almost 6 foot"

I can't remember which episodes these are from, but I think the tallness question was during a Seth Green episode.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaxxSH1ZKUU The door one. I saw this on youtube the other day and almost fell out of my chair.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

The Duke posted:

Try to get these two particular bits:

-Adam asks a female caller how tall her door is, gets enraged after she can't give him a straight answer
-Male caller describes himself as "5'12, almost 6 foot"

I can't remember which episodes these are from, but I think the tallness question was during a Seth Green episode.

Added! I found it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaxxSH1ZKUU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

http://www.grandfromage.net/SA/

Five Twelve and door in that directory should be those two bits.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

LetsDeauxThis posted:

Adam tells stories about his personal life, and makes me feel closer to the show, like I know the people personally. Stryker on the other hand never talks about himself, and is more of just a liaison between the show and the guest. I guess what I mean is that there is more of a personal connection that goes on when adam is there.

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag
Put something on there from the show with Violent J from Insane Clown Posse, he's totally nuts. I'd suggest the call from "George" that starts around 31:55 who talks about jerking off. The call itself and their reactions are hilarious.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

Token Female posted:

Adam tells stories about his personal life, and makes me feel closer to the show, like I know the people personally. Stryker on the other hand never talks about himself, and is more of just a liaison between the show and the guest. I guess what I mean is that there is more of a personal connection that goes on when adam is there.
Stryker is standard unfunny radio guy. Carolla is hysterical and nowhere near a typical radio guy. This isn't that hard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Adam only show (January 2002) is the source of the "5'12"... almost 6 foot" drop. My personal favorite thing about that call is that he says 5'12", almost 6 foot, and then adds in, "I'm only about a centimeter off".

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Graham Wellington posted:

Stryker is standard unfunny radio guy. Carolla is hysterical and nowhere near a typical radio guy. This isn't that hard.

Yeah, Carolla is a pretty honest guy on the radio, going so far as to reading his tax statements on air because it bugs him when other radio personalities try to act like regular guys while making $5 million a year.

It's kind of why Mythbusters is such a great show, since the people doing it aren't actors, and Smash Lab, a soulless spin off, sucks so hard.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, Carolla is a pretty honest guy on the radio, going so far as to reading his tax statements on air because it bugs him when other radio personalities try to act like regular guys while making $5 million a year.

It's kind of why Mythbusters is such a great show, since the people doing it aren't actors, and Smash Lab, a soulless spin off, sucks so hard.

Adam: In 1995, I made 0 dollars, 0, any of you callers make 0 dollars? In '96, Drew how much did I make?

Drew: $250,000... What happened?

Adam: I guess in '95 I didn't feel the need to work, it was a vacation year.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
:siren: Here's the CD as mp3s or as a zip of mp3s :siren:

I've been burning copies with the stream url written on them and some of them have been making their own copies and passing it on :D

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 31, 2008

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I need to go along with the people who can't stand DAG. I'm glad he wasn't made presenter of the show. Bare in mind my only actual experience with him is that episode where he split up with his girlfriend (6 weeks previous) and spends the whole time wailing and shouting. Drew and Adam just sit there laughing it up like he was some kind of genius. I don't think I even lasted 10 minutes.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DrVenkman posted:

I need to go along with the people who can't stand DAG. I'm glad he wasn't made presenter of the show. Bare in mind my only actual experience with him is that episode where he split up with his girlfriend (6 weeks previous) and spends the whole time wailing and shouting. Drew and Adam just sit there laughing it up like he was some kind of genius. I don't think I even lasted 10 minutes.

Oh come on... She was a whore!

"Take that sack out of your mouth and come home!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That episode is genius but not a good introduction. But I love DAG and have a special folder just for him, so I don't have to hunt around when I'm in a DAG mood.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

DrVenkman posted:

This episode came on the stream yesterday and I couldn't stop laughing. I love DAG because he is so insane.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

The ACS is on a break until Tuesday. If you'd like to hear Adam talking to an auditorium of NPR-style listeners then download this:

http://www.zocalola.org/Audio/2007_07_01_zocalo.mp3

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
So I was flipping through the radio tonight and I came across the start of Loveline. It was a Stryker and Dr. Bruce show, and Stryker's big lead-up story (I think) was that he went out last night and he then gave his friend 3 dollars and then he was out of cash when he got back to his car. He wasn't even angry about anything, he was just "welp I guess I'm kinda absent minded!"

Terrible. I just had to turn it off, and I wonder how many kids that could use some decent advice will do the same

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

WDIIA posted:

So I was flipping through the radio tonight and I came across the start of Loveline. It was a Stryker and Dr. Bruce show, and Stryker's big lead-up story (I think) was that he went out last night and he then gave his friend 3 dollars and then he was out of cash when he got back to his car. He wasn't even angry about anything, he was just "welp I guess I'm kinda absent minded!"

Terrible. I just had to turn it off, and I wonder how many kids that could use some decent advice will do the same

Don't worry, I'm sure plenty of at-risk kids are browsing the AM airwaves in the early afternoon and stumbling across Dr Drew's other show. :v:

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine anything less interesting than a show with just Stryker and Dr. Bruce.

I shuddered a little bit.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Adam was on Drew's daytime show today (09-04). It's much better than the reunion on Loveline.

flatFat
Apr 30, 2006

k

Malachi Constant posted:

Adam was on Drew's daytime show today (09-04). It's much better than the reunion on Loveline.

Oh man, I'm listening to it now. It is soothing in ways I cannot put into words.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
^^^

http://www.1260.am/programming/podcasts/download.php?file=media/DrDrew/20080904120001.mp3

For the effort impaired. Good catch, guys!

e: "The requested file cannot be retrieved for security reasons." ?

Does anyone have a link to a less secure copy of the free radio show?

What Fun fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 5, 2008

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I was planning on saving this weeks' episodes to play during a long drive later this week, but I had to listen to that one. Most entertaining episode I've heard in a long time.

I love how quickly they snapped back into their old Loveline rhythm.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

What Fun posted:

http://www.1260.am/programming/podcasts/download.php?file=media/DrDrew/20080904120001.mp3

For the effort impaired. Good catch, guys!

e: "The requested file cannot be retrieved for security reasons." ?

Does anyone have a link to a less secure copy of the free radio show?

Go here: http://www.westwoodone.com/drew aka https://www.drdrewlive.com

Scroll to the bottom and click on "podcasting" to subscribe, or just click on the 9/04/2008 show.

Last time I checked the 1260 AM podcast left gaps for the commercials and split it into two parts, the above link cuts the commercials and consolidates the show into one file.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
For anyone wanting yet another exceptionally amazing TACS show to listen to, do 03-06 of this year. It has Dana Gould on and they talk about Huell Howser and it just goes on and on and is amazing for the entirety. Punch in at about 2:17 in and go from there to the end. It also has Joel McHale on it, so the entire thing is worth listening to.

Alexandr fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 5, 2008

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.

Malachi Constant posted:

Go here: http://www.westwoodone.com/drew aka https://www.drdrewlive.com

Scroll to the bottom and click on "podcasting" to subscribe, or just click on the 9/04/2008 show.

Last time I checked the 1260 AM podcast left gaps for the commercials and split it into two parts, the above link cuts the commercials and consolidates the show into one file.
Thank you thank you. Downloading now, are these podcasts the entire show ala our LoveLine rips? or is it more of a "bite-sized pieces of the show cause the consumer doesn't want the full experience lol!" kind of thing?

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

The Pantheon posted:

Thank you thank you. Downloading now, are these podcasts the entire show ala our LoveLine rips? or is it more of a "bite-sized pieces of the show cause the consumer doesn't want the full experience lol!" kind of thing?

Full shows.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Graham Wellington posted:

Carolla has awful taste in music.

I don't know, I think I love Blood Sweat and Tears now. That episode full of 'Lucretia MacEvil' had me dying. "Kids are gonna hear those horns and think this band ripped off Reel Big Fish!"

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good 'little girl voice' call? A friend of mine is screwing around with a 23 year old girl with the total little girl voice and he refuses to believe me when I tell him what a huge warning sign it is. Her voice gets more child-like and high pitched when they get closer, if they're cuddling or making out, and it's downright creepy. Every time she opens her mouth I think of that Horrors of Porn thread (?) with the Kelly Wells "whooooo!!! whooooo!!! This cock sure tastes good! GLACK GLACK GLACK more cock more coooock CHOO CHOO!!!!" and I cringe.

I'd love to find a really good example of the little girl voice, as well as a good explanation of the voice from Drew and Adam, so I can play it for this kid. It probably won't change his mind, but it's worth a shot. If just for the fact that no matter how much he may be in denial, every time she says anything to him afterwards he'll think of Loveline and be grossed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So who else here is going as Adam Carolla for Halloween?

I was thinking... dress shirt, sweatpants, driving shoes with no socks, black leather wallet painted red with a yellow racing stripe, and a baseball cap.

• Locked thread