Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BmwM3AF
Mar 2, 2008

by angerbotSD
330ci 02' jet black here..

New mods upcoming this weekend,
-New front bumper (M3 w/ Strassentech lip)
-New sways
-New coil's :o :o
-Some little exterior mods, and new pulleys and bushings.

Gonna drive like a totally different car after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Been lurking off and on in AI for a while, figured I might as well make myself counted in here.

'90 bronzitbeige 325i, had it a little less than a year, slowly fixing stuff up on it. It has roughly somewhere between 170-180k miles on it (the odometer was busted when I bought it, previous owner said he put roughly 5k miles on it since)

Things to do:
- replace all my linkages, probably going to go with the UUC short shifter kit
- I have a non-threatening oil leak coming from somewhere unidentified, thinking it might be a rear seal or something stupid. I dump about a quart into it every 1500 miles or so.
- Have a gross rusted through spot on the back around the drivers side tail light that I need to sand down and bondo
- I need new seats, so badly. I have regular gray cloth seats right now, I hope to find some gray cloth sport seats to replace them with (I know they exist out there somewhere.)
- Replace my ABS relay! and my blower motor resistor! and my oil level sensor! and and and and ... maybe one day my check light will finally quit flashing!

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Crustashio posted:

Test drove the 325iX tonight. I think I'm going to be a little poorer next week. Originally from france, has pretty much every service record/recipt, from ~8000mi to now. It just had new brakes put on it as well, along with an all around fluid change.

It does need a tiny bit of work, mainly just the exhaust. Body is in the condition you'd expect for a 20 year old car. Two dents and a scratch or two, but absolutely no rust. Engine sounds great, steering feels good and it pulls pretty well. I didn't really wring it out because the gearbox/clutch are radically different from my civic.

The seller had five E30s around his garages/yard. Two 325iX's (The one I'm going to buy, and his own red one), a 318 convertible, a (half) race prepped 318iS, and a mint condition M3 with 50k miles. Quite a sight.

Nice, I saw that pop up too. There have been some nice looking cars showing up in Halifax recently. The red 1987 325is that showed up the other day looks nice but I think there might be rust around the rocker panels.

nightkids013
Apr 30, 2004
And thats the second time I got crabs
I forgot to post my baby up on SA when I wanted to sell her :argh:

I didnt have a winter beater ($) and couldn't bear the thought of driving her through an Ohio salt fest.

Replaced her with a BG Subaru Legacy. Once I get a house with something bigger than a one car garage Ill pick up another E30 or an E34 wagon to swap to DOHC ///Mage.
Link to the NASIOC f/s thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565371

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

tropical posted:

Nice, I saw that pop up too. There have been some nice looking cars showing up in Halifax recently. The red 1987 325is that showed up the other day looks nice but I think there might be rust around the rocker panels.

Yeah, I noticed that one. There are a decent amount of e30s that get listed, but most aren't reasonable prices or are in terrible condition. From talking to the guy who owns the 325iX, it seems like importing may be the way to go. He showed me all the recipts for the IX, 870GBP to purchase, 1700 for shipping and then the import/registration/inspection fees. Probably costs a little more in the end, but rust free in nova scotia is pretty awesome. Did you ever check out that e36?

Euro cars have some hosed up options though. The driver's side mirror is powered, but the passenger side is manual.

joe87653
Jul 9, 2002

joe87653 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 28, 2014

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Crustashio posted:

Yeah, I noticed that one. There are a decent amount of e30s that get listed, but most aren't reasonable prices or are in terrible condition. From talking to the guy who owns the 325iX, it seems like importing may be the way to go. He showed me all the recipts for the IX, 870GBP to purchase, 1700 for shipping and then the import/registration/inspection fees. Probably costs a little more in the end, but rust free in nova scotia is pretty awesome. Did you ever check out that e36?

Euro cars have some hosed up options though. The driver's side mirror is powered, but the passenger side is manual.

I called the guy to go check the car out the day after I talked to him to get info about it, but it was already sold. Sucks too, it looked really good and the price was great. I'm still working on convincing myself to actually go through with it and buy a new car :D The only car I've bought, my Jetta TDI, was purchased from a dealership and came with warranty. Since I've had it, I've learned how to fix/replace a lot of stuff myself, but I'm still nervous about getting into a new car with no warranty that I'm not familiar with.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

My '98 M3 that i bought about 3 weeks ago.

My one gripe is the wing that's on it. I dont know whether its stock or not. But whoever put it on didnt do a very good job. (all they used were 4 self tapping screws) But its caused small amounts of rust to form on the trunk where the screws went in.

The wing isnt obnoxious at all, and it has a brake light in it, so its not like some idiot kid threw it up. But i just cant understand why someone would go through the trouble to wire it, and mount it so wrong.

I kind of want to get the wing removed, but im not sure how much it would cost coupled with taking it to a body shop to cover up the holes, and if they could even do it well enough to where you couldnt tell anything was there.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Arwox posted:

My '98 M3 that i bought about 3 weeks ago.

My one gripe is the wing that's on it. I dont know whether its stock or not. But whoever put it on didnt do a very good job. (all they used were 4 self tapping screws) But its caused small amounts of rust to form on the trunk where the screws went in.

The wing isnt obnoxious at all, and it has a brake light in it, so its not like some idiot kid threw it up. But i just cant understand why someone would go through the trouble to wire it, and mount it so wrong.

I kind of want to get the wing removed, but im not sure how much it would cost coupled with taking it to a body shop to cover up the holes, and if they could even do it well enough to where you couldnt tell anything was there.

Does the rear window have a brake light as well? If so, the wing was infact, an afterthought, otherwise it came from the factory with it.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Yes the window does have a brake light.

Why do people put wings on their cars? :smith:

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Arwox posted:

My E36 had a factory wing that was coming loose and rusting too, just like you are experiencing. I'm not sure why people put wings on their cars because on a BMW it really ruins the beautiful lines, and it's not like the car is going to use it. There are lots of really fast cars out there that don't have wings.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

Arwox posted:

That's a stock M3 wing. I thought the design changed by '98, though. My '95 (sold) had the same setup, and those same screws were causing rust damage around the holes. My car ALSO had 2 'third' brake lights - back window and the wing.

I was thinking that this was a dealer installed option, but by looking at the paint it looks like this was installed at the factory. I ended up selling the M3 before it got too bad. I did get a quote to have that wing pulled, those 4 holes filled/bondo'd and the deck painted: Somewhere around $500-700, if I recall.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

usurper posted:

That's a stock M3 wing. I thought the design changed by '98, though. My '95 (sold) had the same setup, and those same screws were causing rust damage around the holes. My car ALSO had 2 'third' brake lights - back window and the wing.

I was thinking that this was a dealer installed option, but by looking at the paint it looks like this was installed at the factory. I ended up selling the M3 before it got too bad. I did get a quote to have that wing pulled, those 4 holes filled/bondo'd and the deck painted: Somewhere around $500-700, if I recall.

More or less what I was trying to get at. Because of the second, third brake light, it was not a factory installed option -- maybe done at the dealership. The wing is quite sought after in anycase, and I personally find it a nice touch to the lines on the E36.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thealphabetsez posted:

More or less what I was trying to get at. Because of the second, third brake light, it was not a factory installed option -- maybe done at the dealership. The wing is quite sought after in anycase, and I personally find it a nice touch to the lines on the E36.
Except for the dozens I see with cheapo aftermarket ones that sag in the middle and look all :smith:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Except for the dozens I see with cheapo aftermarket ones that sag in the middle and look all :smith:

I am specifically referencing the various (LTW, GTII, pictured above) OE wings that BMW offered on the E36 chassis. I have yet to see an aftermarket, including ACS and other various high-end companies products a wing of equal quality. I cannot stand the sagging that the non oe wings fall prey to.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Gimik posted:

Yes, mine. I like the front plate! :devil: I always wanted an M5 with the chrome front plate - I know it's tacky and I'll get sick of it some day (getting close now), but I don't think it's THAT bad. AZ doesn't have a front plate law.

Not to be a dick, but you do realize that a flat piece of chrome on your bumper is like the ideal target for radar and laser, right? Especially all with that roundel lookin' like a bullseye and everything...

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

snugglz posted:

Not to be a dick, but you do realize that a flat piece of chrome on your bumper is like the ideal target for radar and laser, right? Especially all with that roundel lookin' like a bullseye and everything...

Not to be a realist, but you do realize that the people operating radar and laser devices are trained in how to capture your speed using a device, and don't particularly need a chrome plate to obtain an accurate speed. Right?

case
Mar 27, 2005

gently caress. My Speedo decided to break, I've been told to check the #10 fuse and the speed sensor (and wiring) from the diff. Anything else might cause this? All other clocks are working fine, E30 325iS

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

case posted:

gently caress. My Speedo decided to break, I've been told to check the #10 fuse and the speed sensor (and wiring) from the diff. Anything else might cause this? All other clocks are working fine, E30 325iS

Sounds like it could be an SI board failure. When the batteries that keep the Service Interval lights working starts to leak out onto the circuit board, the gauges stop working. Sometimes it's all of them, sometimes just one or two. It's a common failure. If the fuse and wiring check out OK, it's probably the SI board. You can SOMETIMES clean up the board and solder on new batteries, but usually the battery acid has etched the board and unless you're good at circuit board repair, buying a new board is the only option. Thankfully, they aren't too pricey. I got one for my E28 on eBay for around $120.

NeoBob
Sep 11, 2001
wtf?
I just picked up a '99 323i over the weekend, and it's in amazing condition inside and out. However I have one issue that's been bugging me, the speakers rattle pretty good when there are even relatively light bass notes. I mitigated it some by lowering the bass output, but a fix that doesn't involve making music sound like it's coming out tin cans would be preferable. What can I do about rattly speakers?

<3

NeoBob fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 8, 2008

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Car started on fire. It looks like the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator burst and gas sprayed out. :cry:

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

Car started on fire. It looks like the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator burst and gas sprayed out. :cry:

Ouch. Pics? Is it saved at all?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

NeoBob posted:

What can I do about rattly speakers?

Replace them. If the cost of new OEM speakers is a bit much, you could do an aftermarket made-for-BMWs upgrade. I forget the name of the company, but they advertise in Roundel magazine.

If you're handy, you can easily do the work yourself.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Xenoid posted:

Ouch. Pics? Is it saved at all?

It didn't burn for very long before it was put out by an extinguisher. The Fire Dept showed up and sprayed it down again with soapy water. The hood heat shield it destroyed (obviously) and the insulation melted off the coolant sensor wires. I'll take some pics pretty soon, but I believe it can be saved and without much effort. There was a lot of smoke coming from the timing belt cover but I have a spare timing belt laying around somewhere. The worst part is that somehow this is directly my fault. I replaced the fuel pressure reg. yesterday along with a ton of other fuel system components so I must have hosed something up. I ran it for a while yesterday after I finished and it worked just great, but I only got a couple miles from my house before it erupted :(

At least this time the tow was free since I bought AAA last week...

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

It didn't burn for very long before it was put out by an extinguisher. The Fire Dept showed up and sprayed it down again with soapy water. The hood heat shield it destroyed (obviously) and the insulation melted off the coolant sensor wires. I'll take some pics pretty soon, but I believe it can be saved and without much effort. There was a lot of smoke coming from the timing belt cover but I have a spare timing belt laying around somewhere. The worst part is that somehow this is directly my fault. I replaced the fuel pressure reg. yesterday along with a ton of other fuel system components so I must have hosed something up. I ran it for a while yesterday after I finished and it worked just great, but I only got a couple miles from my house before it erupted :(

At least this time the tow was free since I bought AAA last week...
So I just realised who you are because I saw your facebook update. Sorry to hear about that man. Good thing you caught it before it got bad it sounds like.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Xenoid posted:

So I just realised who you are because I saw your facebook update. Sorry to hear about that man. Good thing you caught it before it got bad it sounds like.

Engines are pretty good about letting you know when they aren't getting fuel :)

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

NeoBob posted:

I just picked up a '99 323i over the weekend, and it's in amazing condition inside and out. However I have one issue that's been bugging me, the speakers rattle pretty good when there are even relatively light bass notes. I mitigated it some by lowering the bass output, but a fix that doesn't involve making music sound like it's coming out tin cans would be preferable. What can I do about rattly speakers?

<3

Is it the rear deck speakers? If so, there's a "fix" that involves using a bolt with a nut on it, inserted from the trunk, to push the rear deck upwards and away from the speaker itself. Check the forums on e46fanatics.com for "rear deck rattle", it's somewhere on there.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Pics!

:cry:

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

two_beer_bishes posted:

Pics!
:cry:

Looks surprisingly not-bad. Did you have an extinguisher in the car? Don't forget to check all the plastic bits connected to your cooling system, brake reservoir, etc.

NeoBob
Sep 11, 2001
wtf?

Nait Sirhc posted:

Is it the rear deck speakers? If so, there's a "fix" that involves using a bolt with a nut on it, inserted from the trunk, to push the rear deck upwards and away from the speaker itself. Check the forums on e46fanatics.com for "rear deck rattle", it's somewhere on there.

No, they're the front two doors. I guess I'll just pick up some new ones.

two_beer_bishes posted:

:smith:

Dude. Bummer. I need to invest in a fire extinguisher...

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
The shop quoted close to $400 to replace the window motor on my e36, so I'm going to do it myself. I'm thinking I should replace the window regulator while I'm at it, anyone disagree?

edit: window regulator costs more than I expected, probably just going to do the motor.

Daddy Fantastic fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 9, 2008

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007

Lufiron posted:

Replace them. If the cost of new OEM speakers is a bit much, you could do an aftermarket made-for-BMWs upgrade. I forget the name of the company, but they advertise in Roundel magazine.

If you're handy, you can easily do the work yourself.

Bavarian Soundwerks (BSW) I think.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

Looks surprisingly not-bad. Did you have an extinguisher in the car? Don't forget to check all the plastic bits connected to your cooling system, brake reservoir, etc.

No, no I didn't :(

This happened on University Ave in St Paul (for the MN goons) which is full of businesses and this happened right in front of a medical supply store. I ran in (while on the phone with 911) and asked for an extinguisher and they looked at me like I was from Mars. A trucker that was driving by stopped to put it out for me with his extinguisher, then the Fire Dept sprayed it down again. I'm going to the store to get a fire extinguisher and I will never be without one again after today. If I had waited for the fire dept to show up the damage would have been exponentially worse.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Also, my drivers side door doesnt close all the way unless i have my hand on it giving extra force. And when i do get it closed, the window doesnt slide into the door frame thingy properly, leaving a gap between the window and the gasket. (the passenger door works perfectly) It seems like the door is out of wack. I have the service manual, a decent set of tools, and a semi decent brain but ive never really worked on a car. Should i attempt to re-align it myself, or is this task too much for a newb?

(e36 m3 98)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got the e30 325iX today. No pictures yet because my cellphone camera was dusty and I didn't notice until I uploaded them to my laptop. So far I've just spent some time figuring out where most of the controls are, since my manual is in loving german. I could have dealt with french, but I can't understand a word of german. Took me a good few minutes to figure out how the hell the trunk operates.

One thing I haven't figured out and forgot to ask the seller was how to get into reverse. I've never driven a euro style 5 speed, but I have a feeling there is something I'm missing.

edit: I guess I'm lucky as it comes with a fire extinguisher under the driver seat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 9, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Crustashio posted:

One thing I haven't figured out and forgot to ask the seller was how to get into reverse. I've never driven a euro style 5 speed, but I have a feeling there is something I'm missing.

It's to the right of first. You have to use a lot of force to get it in.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

It's to the right of first. You have to use a lot of force to get it in.

Yeah, I knew where it was but I didn't think it required so much force. It feels like I'm going to snap the shifter off, but I got it.

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD

Crustashio posted:

Yeah, I knew where it was but I didn't think it required so much force. It feels like I'm going to snap the shifter off, but I got it.
Hah, my 328i is my first manual and I had the same problem. After about 6 tries of trying to reverse in 1st gear I finally got peeved enough to force it into R.

case
Mar 27, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

Sounds like it could be an SI board failure. When the batteries that keep the Service Interval lights working starts to leak out onto the circuit board, the gauges stop working. Sometimes it's all of them, sometimes just one or two. It's a common failure. If the fuse and wiring check out OK, it's probably the SI board. You can SOMETIMES clean up the board and solder on new batteries, but usually the battery acid has etched the board and unless you're good at circuit board repair, buying a new board is the only option. Thankfully, they aren't too pricey. I got one for my E28 on eBay for around $120.

Thanks for the useful information :)

It would appear I can avoid the joy of removing the clocks, checked out the speed sensor and the thing is stuck in with silicon with wiring done by a child. Looking for a replacment on ebay atm. I need parts 8,9,10,11,12 and 19 which I think is the wiring loom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Fire update:

The fire was pretty centralized, thankfully, so the damage really is minimal. The timing belt is toast, about 20% of the teeth are melted off but the engine was off by the time this happened. The hardest part of this will be tracing the wiring for all the sensors on the thermostat housing (11 wires total), but I really don't think it'll be that bad. I just need some new connectors and I'll be set!