Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

Gramps posted:

That was pretty neat, but kind of retarded too. Definitely different. I usually don't "get" that avant garde stuff.

3x pedal chains make you twitch better

edit: duuuude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

SteelWav posted:

I will be getting the famous DX7 very soon. Right now it's in the mail somewhere.

The Karma sounds very weird and interesting. I'm not sure I understand what it does. Does it generates notes by itself or what? Congrats on your purchase though.

Pretty much it. In Karma mode it generates midi data which it then pipes back into itself, kind of a very flexible arpeggiator. It can use this to do auto accompanyment, even on different interuments (In the case of a combi); or it can be used to make complex sounds.

I can post some examples if you want.

Cynicide fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, this was a bit misguided, but read the Indiana Jones analogy guy's post. It's not about where the stress point is, that would only matter if the string were a solid, non-flexible object. It's more about the string slipping on the post.

THAT SAID, it's probably not a big deal if you have quality tuners that won't budge anyway, as long as the string doesn't come loose, obviously. I don't see why this is a big deal.

The reason this pisses me off is that extra wraps are more dangerous tuning wise on guitars with tremolo bridges. When you hit the whammy the strings coils can overlap causing you to go sharp. Of course if you have lovely tuners when you pull back down it will go flat.

Ideally, if you have locking tuners you have keep the string wrapping to a minimum. My JPM would stay in tune for what seemed like months I'd whammy on the regular. That's checking tuning every time I pick the thing up really (PODXT Live, no reason not to).

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

I've got a lot of experience in high gain pedals, and I feel pretty confident saying that this is easily the best pedal 'til you hit the higher end ones, and it actually it swings pretty well there too, much like the rest of the Cool Cats. Danelectro really knocked it outta' the park with this series.

Price is important at the moment, I'm starting lectures again tomorrow so I don't know when I'll be working again. I have a modelling amp but it's on the fritz at the moment so I'm considering a fairly versatile amp + some pedals to take care of more extreme sounds.

Anyway I got these while I was in the States:

(This is the newer model, the AHB-2.)

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

i just bought these samson rubicon r6as to replace my behringer truths (one blew out its amp right out of the box so i returned that junk). they sound pretty sweet, i mean they're not adam or genelec or anything fancy dancy but i got them for 200 bucks and they sound awesome for that price point.

they are a little light on the low end so some day i might end up buying a sub, i just have no idea who makes a good monitoring sub.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Agreed posted:

And coming soon to a board near me...

Can't wait! :q:

Picked this up from GC yesterday :q:

Wow, what a delay. This thing is heads and tails above anything I've ever used. I was initially concerned that 24-bit/~48KHz sampling would result in artifacts, but that is not the case at all. I am not sure if this pedal is a true bypass, non-true but mechanical bypass, or buffered bypass; what I am sure of is that it has absolutely no tone loss problems when in use or bypassed, and that it handles high input signal levels without issue. It is a true stereo delay, and can process everything as such. It can do Mono->Mono, Mono->Stereo, and Stereo->Stereo, depending on how you plug cables into it.

It has three main modes, Echo, Multi-Tap, and Deja Vu. Echo is subdivided into three settings: 3 Second, 1 Second, and 300ms+Mod. Multi-Tap is also subdivided as 3 Second, 1 Second, and 1 Second+Reverse. Deja Vu has an intelligent Reverse Delay and the Looper. However, the loop recording and overdubbing functions are available globally; controlling the loop is done via the Looper mode. The operating mode is selected with a white-knob rotary encoder (which also can be pushed in briefly to load a preset, or pushed in and held for 3 seconds to save a preset), called the "Hazarai Knob." That knob's intuitive, multi-function simplicity defines the pedal's operation generally. There is a lot that it can do, and a lot to learn, but it is laid out in an efficient and actually very simple manner that proves quite easy to use once you get acquainted with it. All the non-rotary knobs are more familiar pots, but their function changes depending on what mode the pedal is in.

I am still discovering more of what it can do. It's a good thing I play barefoot, because my toes are kept busy adjusting things on this pedal while I'm playing! Stand-out features? Well, everything about it stands out. I love the "300ms Echo+Mod" mode both for 200-300ms analog-esque spaced out echo, AND for its <10 ms magic that happens... the preset I have saved in this mode is a sort of resonant Phaser/Flanger combo, which sounds goddamned dynamite with my Cool Cat series Chorus in front of the SMMH. I just wish it were possible to save multiple presets on a given mode, because I'd love to have access to the aforementioned analog-like modulated echo AND the very low delay time chorus/flanger/phaser effects that you can get.

Its multi-tap delay is incredibly useful, its global filter (left for lowpass, right for highpass) is the poo poo (try recording a loop or getting a self-oscillation going, then tailoring the sound with the highpass to take it from telephone-land to the lowpass filter's "bottom of the ocean" sound!), the multi-functional "Decay" knob does awesome things in every mode (in the two longer Echo settings, it makes delays reverberate at its lower settings and basically totally break apart when you crank it up, very cool sound; in the 300ms Echo+Mod, it controls the level of modulation - in multi-tap, it adjusts how the taps come in, either advancing in volume, retreating in volume, or neither; in the looper, it can be used to reverse the loop or speed it up).

The looper is one of the neatest things I've ever used in my setup, definitely making me want to buy a fully-featured dedicated looper now. The SMMH's looper works really well as a "performance looper," and it has well thought out functions to give you a lot of creative control over the loop; recording it is a breeze and overdubbing is simple as well. However, the loop is gone when you cut power to it, and there's no way to adjust where you're at in the loop, "undo" an addition, etc., and though you can overdub as much as you want on it (with controls in the Loop mode to adjust the relationship between the overdubbing signal and the loop), you can only determine the length of the original loop once, and it maxes out at 30 seconds. That makes it difficult to build on or adjust the loop once it gets going, compared to the Boss Loop Station pedals or the Digitech JamMan (or the Boomerang, but who uses one of those anymore?). However, its looper is a great creative tool and I totally lose track of time when I'm jamming with it. It's so easy to just lay down a chord progression and play on top of it, which makes practicing a breeze. It took me some time to really "get" the looper's operation, and it was frustrating at first trying to get the end of the loop to line up with the beginning in a way that's mostly seamless, but this morning I wasn't having any trouble at all with it.

I do have one gripe with the loop function, and perhaps this is a symptom of me not understanding it well enough, but I'd like to get it out there anyway. One of the advertised features is that you can record and overdub the loop in any delay mode. While that is, strictly speaking, absolutely true, I find that it is much easier to record the initial loop in a given mode than it is to overdub the loop without being in the Looper Hazarai knob mode. The reason is that in the Looper mode, the controls all adjust the loop settings directly, so it's really easy to dial in how loud you want the loop to be relative to your dry signal, etc.; however, when recording or overdubbing in a different mode, the Blend control not only adjusts the relative volume of the loop, but also controls the regular Wet/Dry mix of whatever delay you're using. I personally tend to use delay relatively subtly, but to hear the loop well you need a mix of right around 50/50. Well, that makes the delayed signal way, way too loud for my tastes, but when I adjust the blend downwards to get a more reasonable delay volume, the loop reduces in volume right with it. And it's not just when overdubbing, really - it's hard to even play over the loop in one of the delay modes for the same reason. To hear the loop, your delay sound is way, way too loud too. I wish there were a way to set the loop's volume in the Looper Hazarai mode, and have it stay there when you switch to another delay mode without being affected by the delay mode's blend control.

There are a lot of self-oscillation possibilities in this pedal. The 300ms Echo+Mod mode has some of the coolest, because you can use the Decay knob to send them on a pitch-changing roller coaster while warping the sound completely with the Filter knob. I actually like the Repeats knob set at about 3 o'clock for this, because it's more like an extremely long "effect chamber," so to speak, and still reacts strongly to your guitar's input signal, whereas full repeats turns it into a more self-influencing oscillation beast.

The Multi-Tap mode goes up to 30 taps, though it will discard taps after the delay memory is full. I mention this because it says so in the manual. I haven't had this happen to me, but then I'm not counting taps, just marveling at the unreasonably cool sounds.

I can't pick a favorite mode, and that is a really good thing because it means that I am going to get along with this unit really, really well.

One little note, I had a weird thing happen this morning where the volume dropped off suddenly (still delaying, etc., just fine), and wiggling the pedal fixed it. Now, I suspect a patch cable, but I couldn't get it to reproduce it after I rebooted the unit even with the same signal chain. I don't know what the deal was, but if it happens again I'm taking it back and changing it out for another one. Every product line is going to have a few bad units, and my love for this incredible pedal will not be reduced in the slightest if I should need a replacement. I already told GC about it and they've said it's no problem if I need to swap it out. I was using a totally different signal chain last night and never had a hiccup in 5 hours of continuous use (seriously, I got lost in this thing last night, it was awesome), and this morning it only happened once and I could not get it to recur no matter how I tried. But, I'll keep an eye on it.

If you need a delay and you want one with a lot of great functions (but don't want to pay $400 for a Timeline or TimeFactor), I fully recommend this pedal. Try it out and I nearly guarantee you'll buy it.

By the way, I tried the TC Electronics Nova Delay and I wasn't very impressed. More than half of its delay modes were not something I'd actually use, and it did not sound better than the SMMH in my opinion. Some people really love it, not trying to take anything away from them, but the SMMH holds its own just fine against that delay both in terms of sound and (easily!) in terms of features (despite the fact that the older TC rack digital delays are some of the better ones I've ever heard).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 7, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, it turns out I'm getting another new pedal, and I didn't even have to do anything to get this one!

I won a drawing from a new boutique effects dealer at HC, and I'm getting a Mellowtone Singing Tree Overdrive v2.

Here's a picture of it:

Not sure what to expect - I bet it's going to sound really good, though. The videos sound great. I'm in love with overdrives and fuzzes lately so this was a very pleasant surprise. I never win anything, but this time I guess I got lucky :q:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
After playing the bass for a while, I've been starting to miss my old piano origins. Since I can't afford an upright piano or have room for one even if I could, I guess I'll have to go for a keyboard. The sound may not be authentic but at least it'd give me something to mess around with...

The question is which. One of my coworkers is selling a Roland Discover 5:

For fairly cheap too, $350. Is it worth it, or overkill considering I basically just want a portable piano?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mr. Belding posted:

The reason this pisses me off is that extra wraps are more dangerous tuning wise on guitars with tremolo bridges. When you hit the whammy the strings coils can overlap causing you to go sharp. Of course if you have lovely tuners when you pull back down it will go flat.

Ideally, if you have locking tuners you have keep the string wrapping to a minimum.
This old chestnut again?

Too many wraps will cause what you describe, the string binding on itself and going flat/sharp. Too few wraps will increase tension on the bend point where the string goes through the tuner hole, increasing the chance of a break.

2-3 wraps for wound strings, 4-5 for unwound. That's all you need.

And no,locking tuners don't need wraps, that's their whole point. ;)

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
Alright, this isn't exactly new, but completely gutted. I had a thread about my contemplation of modding this a while back, it never delivered. I picked up some z-90s (hb sized p-90s by harmonic design, real small operation, hc worships them), but needed to replace the pickguard to fit them (stocks were huge). Anyhow, I found myself two days away from studio time and made due. Essentially it is a piece of sharp, poorly cut plexiglass. My aesthetic ideas took a backseat when I found myself in a shed at midnight the night before I had set up an appointment to get it set up and wired up (just wired in the pickups, and replaced the innards, and put in 500k pots instead of 250). I used what I had. I'm sure a lot of folks won't like it, but I really do. I had no use for this guitar before, but couldn't bear to part with it, so I guess this is halfway.

All I had was a hunk of plexiglass, wood glue, newspapers I use for kindling, and some old show posters. Thus this was born, it is an old print Magnolia partially obscured by shredded print.

Family Shot

The pickup holes were not routed very scientifically (to put it lightly), the guy that did it was the hardware store's window guy. He did it practically for free, since he thought it was fun. Dumb, but fun. How does a thinline tele sound with high output p90s? Fantastic. I ended up using it for nearly the entire session I played; just frankentele here, a comped fulldrive, and blackface princeton. I still don't sleep well.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That's ugly and awesome.

And pretty, too.

Like a hot bodied lady with a face that ain't really working for her, but she's got a great personality so you end up going back for a second date.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Agreed posted:

That's ugly and awesome.

And pretty, too.

Like a hot bodied lady with a face that ain't really working for her, but she's got a great personality so you end up going back for a second date.

For me it's more like she's crazy. Hot, interesting, but crazy. When I played it at our show on Friday (opened for Chatham County Line, was a lot of fun), everyone just stared at it like, "Yea, I bet she's a lot of fun, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see what she's capable of." Funnily enough, this description matches the type of women I'm usually attracted to as well. I still need to rename it. I'm afraid "Hannah" just doesn't fit it anymore.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, I kind of just described my first impressions of...

my wife.

Bad glasses and a bad haircut - a few months after I first met her, she got contacts and a new haircut, and we started dating not long after that. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or what.

On the flip side, if your tele is down, we could have some kind of a hosed up threesome if you want. I'll bring the pedals!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 8, 2008

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

so would you compare her to a big muff or a fish n chips?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Man that's tough

let me think

I'd say she's a real Electric Mistress.

:q:

Edit: On a note unrelated to unflattering comparisons of my wife to gear, I gotta sell some pedals, this is getting ridiculous, but I am totally hankerin' for a Protone Monster Fuzz.

If you want to know why, just look!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 8, 2008

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ForbiddenWonder posted:

so would you compare her to a big muff or a fish n chips?

I'd hope it'd be a little big muff at least.

:gonk:

Also, I guess I should mention that I just bought these:

http://lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/tele_model/tele_specs.php

TN-100/T-150 specifically. Hopefully the ludicrous overwinding of the T-150 will help make it not so icepicky.

ZombiePeanut fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 8, 2008

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

the wizards beard posted:

(This is the newer model, the AHB-2.)

Hell yeah, please post clips/your thoughts once you've gotten to grips with them. I am looking at picking up one of these for high gain stuff but SD's site has no audio clips of it...

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Los Padre posted:

Man, that looks cool. Does it sound awesome? I've been thinking about putting a p90 in the neck position of my telecaster.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Agreed posted:

Well, it turns out I'm getting another new pedal, and I didn't even have to do anything to get this one!

I won a drawing from a new boutique effects dealer at HC, and I'm getting a Mellowtone Singing Tree Overdrive v2.

Here's a picture of it:

Not sure what to expect - I bet it's going to sound really good, though. The videos sound great. I'm in love with overdrives and fuzzes lately so this was a very pleasant surprise. I never win anything, but this time I guess I got lucky :q:

I have one of these and I love it. I use it mostly for solos so its kind of an overdrive/booster for me, but when I used it as my main distortion it was fantastic.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

cylyk posted:

Man, that looks cool. Does it sound awesome? I've been thinking about putting a p90 in the neck position of my telecaster.

It really does. It depends on what you're looking for on the neck. So far as I'm concerned bridge pickups are for single coils only, by God's decree. That being said, necks are a different story. I really like the single coil sound, but value a good humbucker jazz tone. That's just something I could see being nice as well, though on a different guitar and with the express purpose of playing jazz. So in answer to your question, yes, I could see that being tremendously nice. I can say for sure that the p-90 on the neck, when the switch is in the middle position, blends with the twang of the tele bridge sound in a really phenomenal way.

It's a slightly political response, but I have to say I've spent the vast majority of my time on the bridge, and have had only had a few days to play. After I wake up and stop playing, I'll be able to give a better analysis.

Edit: Fralin's not exactly underrepresented on these forums, but I've heard the highest praise for their p-90s. This came from the guy who sold me the z-90s (who's quite a p-90 connoisseur). A lot of good p-90 reissues have an output just under a vintage paf, so you might want to make sure it doesn't blow your stock bridge pickup out of the water. (Though there are ways around this, like replacing the bridge, pickguard, and dropping a p-90 there as well...)

Los Padre fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 9, 2008

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Los Padre posted:

Edit: Fralin's not exactly underrepresented on these forums, but I've heard the highest praise for their p-90s. This came from the guy who sold me the z-90s (who's quite a p-90 connoisseur).

I've heard the same, with similar praise for Wolfetone's pickups. I put a set of Lollar P-90s in my Les Paul Studio and while they're definitely better than the stock set, they do deserve the criticism that they most frequently receive: they're polite. Really nice sound, really well balanced, very verstaile, but polite.

Seven months later and I'm itching to give either overwound Fralins or the hotter Wolfetones a go. Thorn guitars are also about to release their own aftermarket P-90s, the staple-top ones they were fitting in their Junior 90 series guitars. I know Thorn owners would likely say anything to justify the prices they pay, but apparently these pickups are the business.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

It's funny, the guy who makes these posts on Diystompboxes. I've seen this pedal in their "post pictures of your newest build" thread.

Concatenation posted:

Hell yeah, please post clips/your thoughts once you've gotten to grips with them. I am looking at picking up one of these for high gain stuff but SD's site has no audio clips of it...

I will definitely post what I think, I only have an old Audigy soundcard to record with so I'm not sure if I can manage some clips. I only have one though, I bought the only one in the store and it says that it's recommended for the bridge. I'm not even sure if SD makes a neck version (the site doesn't have a lot of info, the tone description is different on different pages...)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've got one of these being delivered tomorrow.

I'm going to need a power brick soon.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Oh god I cant wait to post in here tomorrow :fap:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The ENGL is arriving?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

The ENGL is arriving?

Being picked up to be specific oh god :swoon:

Then the month long wait for the cab begins :smithicide:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Stux posted:

Being picked up to be specific oh god :swoon:

Then the month long wait for the cab begins :smithicide:

The wait loving sucks. My Avatar cab came today after over a month to join my JSX. I haven't even played guitar in that time because I just couldn't listen to my old rig and had nothing to plug the new head into.

Now. Now I'm in tone heaven. And in school/work most of the week :suicide:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The wait loving sucks. My Avatar cab came today after over a month to join my JSX. I haven't even played guitar in that time because I just couldn't listen to my old rig and had nothing to plug the new head into.

Now. Now I'm in tone heaven. And in school/work most of the week :suicide:

At least you had an old rig, I managed to brick my pod xt and I've been having to play on a £50 acoustic for the past month and a half :(

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Stux posted:

At least you had an old rig, I managed to brick my pod xt and I've been having to play on a £50 acoustic for the past month and a half :(

My "old rig" was a Metal Zone into a Fender bass practice amp.

That might be the very worst rig on the forums, but it was pretty awesome for Cannibal Corpse. Quietly, anyway.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

This arrived yesterday, and I got a battery for it today.

I was looking for a cheap, small, battery powered amp that I could take with me easily and that sounds good. This one delivers pretty much everything that I want. It was 55 bucks from Humbuckermusic.com, and it's amazingly small. Like, smaller than the Roland Microcube. It sounds pretty drat good, in my opinion. It's definitely a sound I enjoy listening to, playing with an Agile PS-100. It's got a tone knob and a volume knob, with a button for overdrive. I'm not really fond of how the overdrive sounds yet, although once I get something dialed in maybe I'll like it better? I tend to like cleaner, brighter tones anyway so I'm not too concerned. I haven't tested the tuner yet; I'm gonna get some new strings for my guitar and then I'll try out the tuner.

Next up: hopefully a nice acoustic/electric (:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It's funny, the guy who makes these posts on Diystompboxes. I've seen this pedal in their "post pictures of your newest build" thread.

Do you think you could link me to some of his discussion about it? I am having no luck finding it myself. I'd love to know more about the pedal, I can't find anything on FreeStompBoxes.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I bought the object from my suitcase Keyboard Thread.

It is a Harmochord. It's old, noisy, and a hell of a lot of fun. I also bought a '75 Strat bridge for $20 (mazac block/plate only, totally butchered trem arm hole), and a Graph Tech ghost saddles/passive volume circuit set. Those will go into a parted out Ibanez Blazer I'm reassembling. If there's a preamp anywhere that communicates directly with OSC in the same way the Hexaphonic does midi I will be all over that too. If not, gently caress it- electric sound+acoustic sound=plenty for one guitar. For the record, Graph Tech builds their passive circuit out of lovely parts- I'm going to build the one they sent but I'm also going to build one out of nicer parts with the same values to see what the difference is. I think they want the passive one to sound bad so they sell more preamps. :tinfoil:

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 10, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Do you think you could link me to some of his discussion about it? I am having no luck finding it myself. I'd love to know more about the pedal, I can't find anything on FreeStompBoxes.

Can't remember the name of the guy, and the pictures thread is about 300 pages long. If you search DIYstompboxes.com (not FSB) for either Singing Tree or Wolf Computer you should find some stuff. You could also PM or email the guy.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

I bought several keyboards since a month, and I will buy more soon. (The photos are not mine)

Moog Little Phatty Stage Edition

Ok it's a standard Moog, and the only one I could afford that was not a Source or a Rogue. It's great, and even though the specs say that there is no noise oscillator, there's one hidden in the options. It's my first ever analog synth, and I think it's great since it covers just about everything a monosynth can do. The knobs are simple, but I would have prefer a standard one knob, one function deal.

Roland JX-3P

This analog synth can do a lot more than I first thought. However, let's get this out of the way, I don't have the PG-200 and programming the sounds is not that easy, but I can get good results fast. The string, bass and lead sounds awesome. Also, I'm sold on the "Transformers" look.

Yamaha HS500

A small cheap keybaord with tiny notes. I don't think I'll ever circuit bend it, but the 5 sounds are interesting and I'm already using it on my new projects. It made me realise that I like cheap Casio sounding tones, so I'll be looking for more of these kinds.

These ones are the way:

Roland JX-8P

I still don't know why I bought this off ebay, I won the auction without really wanting this, as I already had the JX-3P. Anyway, I don't have it yet and right now it looks like I was scammed by the seller. gently caress that poo poo.

Yamaha DX-7

If you don't know this keyboard, you don't like the eighties. I'm getting this in five days.

So I bought some 80's keyboards, but I'll try to gear my next purchase for other things than Roland since I already have a Fantom and for something from the 70's.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ferrous Wheel posted:

For the record, Graph Tech builds their passive circuit out of lovely parts- I'm going to build the one they sent but I'm also going to build one out of nicer parts with the same values to see what the difference is. I think they want the passive one to sound bad so they sell more preamps. :tinfoil:

What you say? What passive circuit?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Behold. It's really just an attenuator, since piezos are actually way to loud to balance with the magnetics properly. You can tell from the pic that the cap isn't very good, but I didn't realize how tiny and crappy the pot is. Granted the values are not easy to find but Allied Electronics has everything needed to build a better version for less money.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Hagstrom Swede from 2006. Used, but as good as new, for 450 euro, including the sturdy case it's in. I loving love it.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Ferrous Wheel posted:

You can tell from the pic that the cap isn't very good

No, you can't. There are ceramic capacitors that are perfectly fine for audio-frequency applications, and it's not obvious from the picture whether it's something good like an NP0 or something less desirable like an X7R.

Which isn't to say that they're using great parts and you can't build a higher-quality version on your own and save some cash, just that you can't dismiss it as crap because of a blurry picture of a ceramic cap.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Now I just need a cab and a new pickup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiat Club
Sep 10, 2007
welcome bearsuit spacehotel

Hell yes, this fucker came today. We're gonna do some test records in a studio with it tonight, I can't wait to hear it.

Fiat Club fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 10, 2008