Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Pretzellogic posted:

Some kind of 80s horror movie. Saw it when I was a kid, and unfortunately I only remember one scene: guy is in a forest, looking for a girl. He finds her walking slowly away from him, and calls to her. She turns and we see that half her face/neck is really torn up.

I was probably about seven or so when I saw it, and didn't see anything other than that scene. It's bugged me since. Sorry I don't know more.

Friday the 13th Part 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
When I was a kid, I saw a cheesy zombie film that, to my recollection, was called "Hotel Hell," where the sign outside the rickety motel had the "O" burned out from "Hotel Hello." The plot involved someone harvesting the voiceboxes of people who were buried in the ground up to their shoulders. It must have been R-rated because there was a bit of nudity in a bath-scene. I also remember a typical zombie chainsaw scene in a toolshed.

I found a zombie parody movie from 1980 called "Motel Hell," but to my recollection, this was in black and white and much older than what Motel Hell appears to be. Are my memories just in monochrome or am I really thinking of a different movie?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Meroin posted:

When I was a kid, I saw a cheesy zombie film that, to my recollection, was called "Hotel Hell," where the sign outside the rickety motel had the "O" burned out from "Hotel Hello." The plot involved someone harvesting the voiceboxes of people who were buried in the ground up to their shoulders. It must have been R-rated because there was a bit of nudity in a bath-scene. I also remember a typical zombie chainsaw scene in a toolshed.

I found a zombie parody movie from 1980 called "Motel Hell," but to my recollection, this was in black and white and much older than what Motel Hell appears to be. Are my memories just in monochrome or am I really thinking of a different movie?

I did some googling around, and it seems like "Motel Hell" was in color, involved burying people in the ground, and harvesting their voice boxes for sausages. The voice box thing is a little too specific for it to be anything other than the movie you're looking for or something directly based on what you're looking for. Checking IMDB's movie connections for "Motel Hell" doesn't turn up anything that it might have borrowed the voice box concept from, so I strongly suspect that's the movie.

Now the "Hotel Hello" with a burnt-out "o" sounded really familiar as something I know I've seen, but IMDB shows no movies called "Hotel Hell". I did a bit of googling, and it turned up an episode of the Beetlejuice cartoon. I didn't really watch the cartoon, but I'm willing to bet the cartoon borrowed it from the movie. I can also see misremembering Beetlejuice as being monochrome given the frequent black and white imagery it used.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Meroin posted:

The movie you are looking for IS 'Motel Hell', featuring one Rory Calhoun and the fat chick from Porky's. Rory Calhoun's character would trap drivers and then bury them up to their necks, removing their voice boxes, so that they would become tender in the ground. He would then remove them and make fritters, 'it takes all sorts of critters to make Farmer Frank's fritters'.

The bathing scene you mention is in the film (it's in a lake), and the 'zombie' scene is the farmer equipped with a chainsaw and wearing a pig head, chasing after a woman in the meat prep area, which you might see as a shed. Otherwise there were no zombies.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Duplicate

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 3, 2008

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Duplicate

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 3, 2008

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Duplicate

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 3, 2008

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Duplicate

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 3, 2008

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

duplicate (piece of poo poo servers)

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 3, 2008

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

duplicate (piece of poo poo servers)

Elwood P Dowd fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 3, 2008

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
^ I think that may be the first septuple post I've seen on any forum, ever.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
lol Bob Loblaw. I can just hear it being said over and over again:

"The movie you are looking for IS 'Motel Hell'"
"Lisa needs braces!" etc etc

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.
I think we found Motel Hell's #1 fan.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Smeep posted:

Friday the 13th Part 2?
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This was from an interview I read recently. The interviewee was talking about the inspiration for a technology he used in one of his science fiction books:

quote:

"That's from a science fiction movie of the 1950s, where scientists stumble upon...an alien spaceship. I don't remember if it was under the North Pole. Probably was [because] that's where they usually find them. They found out that the propulsion system of this ship was actually the ability to lock on to gravitational fields from as far away as they wanted to. They could pick a star and isolate that gravitational field. I don't remember the name of the movie. Excellent movie...[The use of gravity fields] was how the ship propelled itself. "
Does this ring any bells to anyone?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

This was from an interview I read recently. The interviewee was talking about the inspiration for a technology he used in one of his science fiction books:

quote:

"That's from a science fiction movie of the 1950s, where scientists stumble upon...an alien spaceship. I don't remember if it was under the North Pole. Probably was [because] that's where they usually find them. They found out that the propulsion system of this ship was actually the ability to lock on to gravitational fields from as far away as they wanted to. They could pick a star and isolate that gravitational field. I don't remember the name of the movie. Excellent movie...[The use of gravity fields] was how the ship propelled itself. "

Does this ring any bells to anyone?

The 1950s milieu, spaceship, possibly under Arctic ice, all point to The Thing From Another World (1951). I've only seen the remake, so I couldn't tell you for sure though.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
No, I don't remember anything special about the spaceship itself in that, it was mostly about the creature inside. "I don't remember if it was under the North Pole. Probably was [because] that's where they usually find them," tells me the interviewee was probably quite familiar with Thing From Another World and was making a joke about it.

IMDB keyword search for "gravity" doesn't get anything likely looking.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
My sister-in-law has been trying to figure this one out for a while. She remembers it being in color and possibly having a Christmas theme. It's either an anthology or a bunch of episodes of a tv show, but she thinks it's an anthology. One story is about a train stuck in a field and the passengers on it are ghosts. Another is about a doll maker. The other story she remembers is about a ring and an actor from a playhouse stealing said ring which then curses him and whomever wears it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

Topper Harley posted:

My sister-in-law has been trying to figure this one out for a while. She remembers it being in color and possibly having a Christmas theme. It's either an anthology or a bunch of episodes of a tv show, but she thinks it's an anthology. One story is about a train stuck in a field and the passengers on it are ghosts. Another is about a doll maker. The other story she remembers is about a ring and an actor from a playhouse stealing said ring which then curses him and whomever wears it. Any help would be much appreciated!

It's from a bbc tv series called "Ghost Story for Christmas"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075220/ - The Signalman: the one about the train and ghosts. at least it matches somewhat. it's a signalman for trains that works in a tiny box near a tunnel that sees ghosts right before a train accident is going to happen ? he's in a remote valley area, so that might be the field she's thinking about?

i'm not sure which ones are the other two, though.

Thoreau Like A Girl fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 6, 2008

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
I once saw some kind of 90's kids movie about 3 teenagers with super powers. There was a blonde guy, a girl, and a black guy. I'm not sure what happens in the majority of the movie, but at the end they make it to some girl's birthday party and they're trying to hook the blonde guy up with her, so they use their powers to make her a gift. Someone takes a blue plastic bottle and rubs it really fast between their hands to turn it into a gemstone, and someone else uses telekinesis to steal a shoelace. They put that together to make a necklace, and all is peachy keen or something. Oh, and the bully tries to mess things up (or something like it) but, as someone had stolen his shoelace earlier, trips and falls face first into the cake, wherein someone quips "That's what I call using your head!"

This has been killing me, and google has been no help :(

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Don't have too much information on this one. I seem to recall reading about it or seeing a trailer or something maybe about a year ago. From what I remember, it was a sort of horror movie about a zombie apocalypse or something, told from a few different viewpoints, each story having different characters and a different director. It sounded really interesting, and I'd like to check it out, if it was ever released.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Strontosaurus posted:

Don't have too much information on this one. I seem to recall reading about it or seeing a trailer or something maybe about a year ago. From what I remember, it was a sort of horror movie about a zombie apocalypse or something, told from a few different viewpoints, each story having different characters and a different director. It sounded really interesting, and I'd like to check it out, if it was ever released.

The Signal
Its out on DVD now.
I didnt like it, but everyone else seems to.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

There was a cartoon I watched as a kid, and I'm pretty sure it was pink and girly but the main characters were horses or something and this witch had a bag of some kind of chemical that would enslave them and turn them into dragons. Yeah, wtf?

Rocambole posted:

Pink and girly horses makes me think My Little Pony but I can't see any transforming into dragons in the summaries.

Yup, it's My Little Pony! It was some TV movie of sorts called Rescue at Midnight Castle.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

ECTO-1 posted:

The Signal
Its out on DVD now.
I didnt like it, but everyone else seems to.

That's the one. I remember now that I thought it was a movie version of Stephen King's Cell. Thanks!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
About ten years ago I caught a few minutes of a movie on Bravo while channel surfing. The movie looked like it was already about ten years old at this point, so I'd reckon it's from 1985-1990.

The scene in question had a man running up a brightly lit, well maintained staircase in a hotel or mansion. Intercut with this was a woman on a bed, gasping orgasmically but turning into a deflated puppety flesh-blob. There were sparks flying around her similar to the lightning effect in the Highlander movies. The setting and body-transformation makes me think it MIGHT be Society but I've never had teh chance to see it and check, and I get the impression Society would be darker. This seemed like a goofy Horror-Comedy more than a satirical take of the genre. Any ideas?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Diligent Deadite posted:

About ten years ago I caught a few minutes of a movie on Bravo while channel surfing. The movie looked like it was already about ten years old at this point, so I'd reckon it's from 1985-1990.

The scene in question had a man running up a brightly lit, well maintained staircase in a hotel or mansion. Intercut with this was a woman on a bed, gasping orgasmically but turning into a deflated puppety flesh-blob. There were sparks flying around her similar to the lightning effect in the Highlander movies. The setting and body-transformation makes me think it MIGHT be Society but I've never had teh chance to see it and check, and I get the impression Society would be darker. This seemed like a goofy Horror-Comedy more than a satirical take of the genre. Any ideas?

I want to say Zulawski's Possession but I'm not sure.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FitFortDanga posted:

I want to say Zulawski's Possession but I'm not sure.

Thanks, but I watched some clips and it doesn't have the same tone. I'd quite like to see Possession now though!

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I want to say The Manitou but I'm not 100% sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLP0U95jLY&feature=related

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Slasherfan posted:

I want to say The Manitou but I'm not 100% sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLP0U95jLY&feature=related

Huh. I think you might be right. I wish Bravo (UK) still showed culty movies and not laddish reality show bullshit these days. Thanks, man.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So, it's been ages since I saw this, and it's been killing me every once in a while for a very, very long time. It's a really corny horror/sci-fi movie about trees who come to life and start killing people. It was in very vibrant color, and I remember two scenes: a woman is walking through some sort of plant-filled area, possibly in front of a house, and a big red tree reaches down and eats her, and the other is an army general looking through his binoculars to see an army of stumps marching towards him.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So, it's been ages since I saw this, and it's been killing me every once in a while for a very, very long time. It's a really corny horror/sci-fi movie about trees who come to life and start killing people. It was in very vibrant color, and I remember two scenes: a woman is walking through some sort of plant-filled area, possibly in front of a house, and a big red tree reaches down and eats her, and the other is an army general looking through his binoculars to see an army of stumps marching towards him.

Possibly Day of the Triffids.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sounds like The Navy vs. the Night Monsters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Action Jacktion posted:

Sounds like The Navy vs. the Night Monsters.

Holy god, that's it. I can't possibly thank you enough. Now I just have to hunt down a VHS of it by my dad's birthday (it's a "remember that..." conversation point for us).

RunningBuffet
Oct 25, 2007

There was this weird generic looking fantasy movie that I remember watching at my grandmother's house when I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I think the movie was either from the 80's or the 70's. The only thing I can really remember about it was that they were trying to save some girl (possibly a princess) who was being slowly poisoned or cursed or something like that, and they kept on cutting over to show how it was progressing every so often. It wasn't animated or anything, but, that's all I can really say.

I don't know why this has been bugging me, I think it's because I never found out what it was called and I never saw how it ended.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Crysinth posted:

There was this weird generic looking fantasy movie that I remember watching at my grandmother's house when I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I think the movie was either from the 80's or the 70's. The only thing I can really remember about it was that they were trying to save some girl (possibly a princess) who was being slowly poisoned or cursed or something like that, and they kept on cutting over to show how it was progressing every so often. It wasn't animated or anything, but, that's all I can really say.

I don't know why this has been bugging me, I think it's because I never found out what it was called and I never saw how it ended.

Could it possibly be The Neverending Story?

RunningBuffet
Oct 25, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

Could it possibly be The Neverending Story?

...I almost want to lean towards no, but... I think there's a chance. That whole being 8 years old thing kinda can twist around what I remember. Hrmm. Ah well, never mind me, I'm probably misremembering the whole thing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sorry if this has posted before but I vaguely remember this Universal Soldier type movie that's been bugging me for a while. I think I watched it on tv in the early 90's. I think it was about a (possibly undead/cyborg?) soldier who was programmed to kill or something. He ends up going crazy and starts killing the other soldiers (who are normal). I remember it being set in a desert and there's a firefight in a warehouse. Also the undead/cyborg soldier is wearing a visor thing. Has anyone any idea what this might be?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Operation Sandman possibly? Not an exact match, but it's got a desert and super soldiers. I don't remember it that well, but I think there was a warehouse type place where they had a shoot out.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I don't think so. The movie I watched was from the early 90's, and I think the other soldiers were fairly normal. I think they were all in a jeep when he first starts shooting them. It's pretty vague,I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
Could it possibly be Prototype X29A?
Here's a clip of it. Maybe you'll recognize the cyborg guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5HuYKAn4s