Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just need some new connectors and I'll be set!

Badass. Lucked out on that one, mate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

Badass. Lucked out on that one, mate!

No poo poo, as crappy as this is, it easily could have been much worse. I was preparing myself mentally to write this car off and start looking for a replacement, and I'm very happy that I don't need to :)

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Fire update:

The fire was pretty centralized, thankfully, so the damage really is minimal. The timing belt is toast, about 20% of the teeth are melted off but the engine was off by the time this happened. The hardest part of this will be tracing the wiring for all the sensors on the thermostat housing (11 wires total), but I really don't think it'll be that bad. I just need some new connectors and I'll be set!

You should take this opportunity to pull the engine and replace it with an M52 or S52. The fire was clearly a sign from on high indicating that you should do this.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

multiprotocol posted:

You should take this opportunity to pull the engine and replace it with an M52 or S52. The fire was clearly a sign from on high indicating that you should do this.

Or an M30B35.

Make your own E30 335! If you pockets are deep enough, a M88 would be badass as well.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
That was the first thing I thought as the fire dept was spraying water on it, but since I can fix it for less than $150 it isn't quite to that point yet! I'm borrowing my parent's car for the week (04 stratus) and I'm in a hurry to give it back so I just want my car up and running again.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Sorry for the double post, but here is a picture of the timing belt when I removed it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

two_beer_bishes posted:

The hardest part of this will be tracing the wiring for all the sensors on the thermostat housing (11 wires total), but I really don't think it'll be that bad. I just need some new connectors and I'll be set!
It really isn't that hard. Cable tie the loom to a board or something, match wire at one melty end to wire at other melty end, splice in new cabling, done.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I did a pull from 3rd gear today and my clutch started slipping around 5500, looks like I have new clutch in my future! Oh boy this will be an adventure.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

InitialDave posted:

It really isn't that hard. Cable tie the loom to a board or something, match wire at one melty end to wire at other melty end, splice in new cabling, done.

Exactly my point, it's not hard, but it's the hardest part about this :)

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Jorsh posted:

I did a pull from 3rd gear today and my clutch started slipping around 5500, looks like I have new clutch in my future! Oh boy this will be an adventure.

Well, at least now you can take care of that RMS oil leak...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got around to taking pictures of the 325iX today.

Dent #1

Dent #2

Free extinguisher.

I love the 3-spoke steering wheel.

Engine could use a little cleaning but it's in pretty good shape otherwise.

All the documentation. Has pretty much all the ministry of transport tests, all the warranty stuff, and pretty much every repair done in the UK or France.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I haven't been up to date on any BMW news, or any auto news in general for about 3 months now. How is the e90 M3 reviewing? What about the 135?

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

I've heard that the 135 is a great car, but expensive and not really a true successor to the 2002tii like everyone was saying before it came.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.
From what I've read, while folks recognize the sheer wizardry of the S65 mill in the new M3, that it's just too far removed from what made the S14 in the E30 M3 so incredibly wonderful, in addition to the car itself being a real driver's car. There's actually a great article comparing all four models of the M3 in the newest Grassroots Motorsports. Makes me wish I had an E30 M3 and an E46 M3 instead of an E36 M3.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

multiprotocol posted:

Makes me wish I had an E30 M3 and an E46 M3 instead of an E36 M3.

Why do you say that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arwox posted:

Why do you say that?

the GRM gave the E36 M3 the worst marks, by a noticeably larger margin than between the higher 3 places.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
The other day the vision of a poster with E30 through E90 M3's lined up diagonally popped into my head.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Bonus points if it's all M cars lined up all.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Adnuo posted:

The other day the vision of a poster with E30 through E90 M3's lined up diagonally popped into my head.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Bonus points if it's all M cars lined up all.

I've always been fond of this one, though it doesn't include the E90.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2800491.jpg

some other ones:

http://i38.tinypic.com/118khes.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/az78z8.jpg

Granted they're wallpapers and not posters, but a neat picture is a neat picture.

edit: timg doesnt work anymore, linked so HUGENESS doesnt get me probated.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 9, 2008

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

CornHolio posted:

A neat picture is a neat picture.

Good enough for me. Thank you sir, time to change desktop backrounds :fap:

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

the GRM gave the E36 M3 the worst marks, by a noticeably larger margin than between the higher 3 places.

The North American E36 M3 or the Euro E36 M3? I think the NA E36 M3 was boring but the engine in the Euro one was incredible and if using the Euro car in the comparison it would have been pretty close I bet. That said, my pick for favourite M3 would probably be the E30 then the E92/E46 tie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xenoid posted:

The North American E36 M3 or the Euro E36 M3? I think the NA E36 M3 was boring but the engine in the Euro one was incredible and if using the Euro car in the comparison it would have been pretty close I bet. That said, my pick for favourite M3 would probably be the E30 then the E92/E46 tie.

An NA one, IIRC. While the motor did take some knocks, they also took points off for shifter feel and steering I think, so it might still have come in after the E30. It's still my fave for whatever inexplicable reason.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adnuo posted:

Ask and ye shall receive, courtesy of EVO November 2007:

Click here for the full 592x767 image.

Can I post a link to a .pdf of the scanned article, or is that :filez:?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
well, poo poo.

I was driving home from work today, taking some of the twistier roads in southern Michigan, and my car overheated.

I noticed smoke coming from under the hood, but my temp gauge read normal, and I had just used my windshield washers, so I figured some soap got on the engine somehow and I'd look at it next parking lot I could find.

A half-mile later and my temp gauge starts slowly climbing, so I immediately pull over and pop the hood. Upper radiator hose had come off the radiator, spraying coolant everywhere.

I re-attach it, check the coolant level, pour a little bit of distilled water in, and start driving, but I notice I have no heat, and the car shortly begins overheating again. It feels like the lower radiator hose isn't very warm, definitely not as warm as the upper.

So my car is parked where I left it, many miles away. Tonight after it's cooled down I'll drive it the ~3 miles to the dealer, it should make it there without overheating. But I have some questions:

Two weeks ago, I had my water pump and thermostat replaced after the water pump had disintegrated (see pictures a few pages back). I purchased both items from Bavarian Autosport, but had the dealer install them (I had planned on doing it myself but ran out of time/luck). What are the chances that I have a fault thermostat, and what are the chances that BavAuto would reimburse me for the thermostat/labor?

Is it possible that the dealership didn't tighten the upper radiator hose clamp tight enough, and when it popped off, I got a huge air bubble in my system?

Is there anything else this could be?

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
Anyone need an ashtray or slightly broken cupholder for an e36 modular center console?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Is it possible that the dealership didn't tighten the upper radiator hose clamp tight enough, and when it popped off, I got a huge air bubble in my system?

Is there anything else this could be?

This is just blind guessing, but I don't see anything else it could be. Hoses don't just "pop off". And I have a feeling the thermostat is fine, but your water pump's going to be sucking air into the radiator, and shooting water out the block until you've got air in your block, and then it'll have a hard time measuring the block temperature. I could be completely wrong about this though.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

Overheating

Hm. Headgasket? Also, is the radiator hose neck OK?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sterndotstern posted:

Hm. Headgasket? Also, is the radiator hose neck OK?

no coolant in my oil, so hopefully its not the headgasket. and the neck looks OK. Im not leaking anything.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
well, gently caress.

it was my radiator neck.

new radiator time. that I can't afford right now.

:(

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

CornHolio posted:

well, gently caress.

it was my radiator neck.

new radiator time. that I can't afford right now.

:(

You can replace it yourself for under $200. It is a really simple job to DIY.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

You can replace it yourself for under $200. It is a really simple job to DIY.

Normally I'd do it myself, but lately I haven't been very confident in my abilities. I don't think I'd bleed the system properly, I don't have anybody that could watch my 13-month old daughter while I do it, and I need it done NOW. Plus I live in an apartment and can't work on it there, I'd have to get it towed to my parents house.

Roughly $600 for the dealer, vs $350 for a radiator shipped next day air and a tow and a weekend of cursing my inabilities to remove the stupid fan nut.

I can't wait until I have a garage of my own and an extra car to use while I fix my daily driver.

I'm in a bad mood right now, sometimes I wonder if I should say 'gently caress it' to owning an awesome car and get some boring-rear end Honda or something. :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I'm in a bad mood right now, sometimes I wonder if I should say 'gently caress it' to owning an awesome car and get some boring-rear end Honda or something. :(

You and me both buddy :(

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

two_beer_bishes posted:

You and me both buddy :(

Owning a reliable DD and a "toy" car is the only way to go. I have a cheapo '95 Honda hatchback for DD and parts-getting duties, the thing has saved my bacon numerous times. "Hm, now that I'm two hours into this job, I need a $0.93 washer to finish. I'll just pop down to the dealer for that and pick up some lunch on the way."

E36s really are quite reliable, you just have to replace everything BEFORE it fails, e.g. the whole (god drat) cooling system every 60-80k.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 11, 2008

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sterndotstern posted:

E36s really are quite reliable, you just have to replace everything BEFORE it fails, e.g. the whole (god drat) cooling system every 60-80k.

Yeah this is my only saving grace right now, after my radiator gets replaced, EVERYthing will have been replaced: thermostat, upper/lower hoses, expansion tank, coolant itself, thermostat housing (I have the aluminum one now), water pump (I have a metal impeller now).

Then again, there's always the fan clutch

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

Then again, there's always the fan clutch

Do you live somewhere coolish? Fan delete mod?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sterndotstern posted:

I've thought about that, but I live in Northern Indiana, and it's 0° here in the winter but it can get 100°+ in the summer. I'd really rather not remove the mechanical fan.

Also, while the dealership replaces the radiator, they're replacting the upper/lower radiator hoses and the expansion tank at my request (I already have the parts).

The hoses they say won't be any additional labor, but the expansion tank will be an additional $66. :wtf: Don't they have to take that off anyway?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

Don't they have to take that off anyway?

Not according to the Bentley.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

I live in Florida and have had absolutely 0 problems with overheating this summer while running the FDM. If you do it properly (new thermostat and coolant temp sensor that tells the electric fan to kick in sooner and redline water wetter) then you will be okay. If you want overkill (which is eventually in the plans for me) spend $160 on an electric SPAL fan. I believe VAC carries them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I live in Florida and have had absolutely 0 problems with overheating this summer while running the FDM. If you do it properly (new thermostat and coolant temp sensor that tells the electric fan to kick in sooner and redline water wetter) then you will be okay. If you want overkill (which is eventually in the plans for me) spend $160 on an electric SPAL fan. I believe VAC carries them.

We carry a few different SPAL fans where I work, so I could probably get one of those for cheap (maybe I can hook you up). But can you use redline water wetter with BMW antifreeze? Or does it have to be water only?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

CornHolio posted:

We carry a few different SPAL fans where I work, so I could probably get one of those for cheap (maybe I can hook you up). But can you use redline water wetter with BMW antifreeze? Or does it have to be water only?

I don't even bother with BMW antifreeze, I just use Prestone. I put two bottles of the water wetter in there and it doesn't seem to be complaining. And just looking over at VAC they have the 14" SPAL puller fan for $120, which in the grand scheme of things (new fan clutch, blades, the constant bitching of that god drat nut being in the way) is quite a steal.

bf.c will have a lot more information on this.

Edit: And the car noticibly revs up faster without that drat fan clutch on there. It won't drop .5seconds of your 1/4 mile time, but just for downshifting it feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
huh. We have a 14" SPAL puller fan, water resistant, and our price is $30. We buy them in massive quantities though.

It's SPAL # 30101539 (I dont know what number is on the fan, its always different from the number we order), if you're interested I can go take a picture of one. I can probably get with sales and have them sell it to you for like $35 plus shipping or something.