Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

LittleCat posted:

MOH dress - We're having a tiny wedding party, so I don't need to worry about matching dresses. I'd like to help my MOH find a nice dress for 100 bucks or less, since she's a student and I don't want our wedding to be a burden for her. (I'm also considering buying it for her if I can afford it). Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to shop for dresses in Canada? I keep seeing nice things from Nordstroms, but they don't ship here.

You guys don't have JC Penny's up there, do you? I really love their dresses, & I'd think you should be able to find something good. In general, though, if there are any department stores in your area that you like, you might find something. Since you're not worried about matching, the sky's really the limit, don't box yourself in to "traditional" bride's maids dresses! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks for the advice everyone. It turns out that the problem was solved for me when we went out to the place and saw that since the last time we saw it they let it get run down. Even though it's still gorgeous scenery, the actual lodge is run down and ugly. So I'm on the hunt again and finding much better places that have A/C!

Something I haven't seen discussed so much in the thread is the actual wedding dress. Was that because you all just knew that it was the one or what? How can you tell? And is it possible to buy a dress online or is it infinitely better to go out and find one in the real world?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

innocent_deadly posted:

Something I haven't seen discussed so much in the thread is the actual wedding dress. Was that because you all just knew that it was the one or what? How can you tell? And is it possible to buy a dress online or is it infinitely better to go out and find one in the real world?

My fiance's a goon, & therefor I can't take the risk. :D I wouldn't buy anything online without at least going out to a shop to try things on, though, things look infinitely different online than they do in person. I looked & looked online, & wound up picking something pretty different than what I pictured in my head. I don't know about buying online after you see stuff, though. I like that when I do buy my dress, I'm going to have the shop there to do alterations and help me with everything. I also like the woman that helped me, and I want her to get the commission for it (yeah, I'm crazy like that!), but you can always take the dress somewhere to be altered. It's really up to you. But I would try things on, it's the only way to know for sure, I think!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

WolfensteinBag posted:

My fiance's a goon, & therefor I can't take the risk. :D I wouldn't buy anything online without at least going out to a shop to try things on, though, things look infinitely different online than they do in person. I looked & looked online, & wound up picking something pretty different than what I pictured in my head. I don't know about buying online after you see stuff, though. I like that when I do buy my dress, I'm going to have the shop there to do alterations and help me with everything. I also like the woman that helped me, and I want her to get the commission for it (yeah, I'm crazy like that!), but you can always take the dress somewhere to be altered. It's really up to you. But I would try things on, it's the only way to know for sure, I think!

I haven't started shopping for dresses yet (waiting for my mom to visit in a couple of weeks) but from what I've gathered from friends, the dress that you see in the magazine that you love may look absolutely horrible on you. You really need to try on some dresses to find out what looks amazing on your body.

I would be scared about buying a dress online because I wouldn't get to see the quality firsthand. In wedding dresses, little things like buttons & small detail embroidery is what makes a dress special. I wouldn't trust pictures on a website to give a full picture of what a dress looks like. But if you try on some dresses & find one you like I guess you could try & find that exact same dress online for cheaper....But like Wolfenstein, I'd hate for a salesperson to spend hours with me & not get commission off the sale.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

innocent_deadly posted:

You can certainly buy online (though its hard to find sellers - Ebay is usually your best bet), but you have to go out into the real world first. I had a vision of the dress I wanted right from the start, but after trying on a couple dozen dresses at three different shops, I came to the conclusion that my "ideal dress" was really pretty terrible on me. Then the salesperson at the third shop picked out something for me that I never would have picked out for myself, and it was absolutely perfect and stunning on me. If you prefer the bargains you can get online, find something you really like, and then see if you can find it new on Ebay.

I'd show mine off, but like WolfensteinBag, my fiancé is a goon, and I don't want to risk him seeing it :)

squirrellypoo - seems like we think alike. I don't think I know anyone who is completely terrified of computers, so I think we should be fine.

WolfensteinBag - I don't think we have JC Penny's here, unfortunately. It sucks, I see all these awesome dresses on the wedding blogs I read, but none of the stores exist here. Gonna hit the mall department stores in the next couple weeks, I think. I'm still trying to figure out what our colour scheme should be, and it's holding everything up :(

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

My fiance is a goon too. Did they introduce you all to the forums or was it the other way around? Mine was a goon first and got me into it.

As for him seeing my dress, I've been shooting him a bunch on sites that I like and getting his opinion and not telling him exactly which ones I'm seriously considering so that it's still a surprise.
But I can understand not linking the exact one. I've been including my mom and my MIL and my bridesmaids on the ones that I am considering, so I'm trying to dilute the possibility of body dysmorphia. I ordered a prom dress online once and then got it tailored; turned out okay.

But I think I will definitely take all of the advice and go try some on first.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Mine introduced me to the forums back in 2001, before we were dating. I came back to SA on my own (I post a lot more than he does!) when it got a bit more woman-friendly.

Yeah, I got his opinion on the stuff I liked early on, but the final result is going to be a big surprise. I'm quite confident he'll like it. I have some pretty big body image problems, but I looked smoking in that dress. And I had my mom and FMIL with me to confirm it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

innocent_deadly posted:

My fiance is a goon too. Did they introduce you all to the forums or was it the other way around?

Yeah, he totally got me into it. :) I'm pretty much only here for PI, but I know I post way more than he does. :) He's pretty passive for the most part as far as posting goes. He's actually the one that directed me to this thread, too!

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

innocent_deadly posted:

Something I haven't seen discussed so much in the thread is the actual wedding dress.
I'm not buying my dress - my grandmother gave me her gown from 1949 and insisted I chop it up to suit me. Which is perfect because the silk satin is in amazing shape, but the style and size (30 inch bust, ahahah) don't suit me. I'm keeping a lot of the skirt the same, but altering the top completely, using Vogue 2965 as my starting point.

I'm also making the two bridesmaids gowns, but we haven't settled on a pattern yet. My sewing room is being demolished and rebuilt this fall, though, so I'm waiting til all the building works are done to start hoarding the expensive fabrics.

innocent_deadly posted:

My fiance is a goon too. Did they introduce you all to the forums or was it the other way around?
Mine is a goon but my brother bought me my account years before we got together.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Can we talk shoes? I found an awesome pair of strappy heels to wear with my dress, but the problem is that I am horrible at heels. :saddowns: I think I am missing that gene or something. I am already planning to change into wedge sandals for the reception/dancing, but does anyone have any hints to reduce the pain during the ceremony and pictures? I bought those little gel stickums for the ball of the foot, but if any tall shoe pros want to chime in, please do!

And also on dresses, I've been having major second thoughts about my dress. It was a great deal, and now that I've started the alteration process I can tell what it's going to look like when it fits, but I'm just not in love with it, y'know? It's not you, it's me, one of those deals.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Start wearing your heels ALL THE TIME. When you're hanging around the house, just throw them on. Not only will you get practice walking in them, your feet will get used to the different pressure points that they're not used to. Don't forget to practice going up and down stairs, too!

That sucks about your dress, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen to me! It's really hard, there's SO much stuff out there, that you're bound to see more after you make the decision and start second guessing yourself. Hopefully it works out & when it's done you'll be happy! Can you post a picture, or is it not safe?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Groomsmen gifts...I'm at a loss.

I'm sick of the same stupid ideas...flasks, multi-tools, watches, money clips.

Knives are nice, but one of my groomsmen gave me one during his wedding, so that would be kind of stupid.

I could do a flask, since alcohol isn't being served at the wedding, and just fill it with their favorite liquor. However, both my guys have been in a few weddings, so I can just imagine these going into the closet after this wedding with the rest of them.

Anyone have any ideas on some actual USEFUL items? These guys both work in management, like to drink, and that's about it for extracurricular stuff...not muc in the golfing department or anything like that I could think of.

Thanks.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

The first thing coming to my mind for drinkers that isn't a flask is a bottle opener. There are a million different kinds from cheap plastic stuff to themed stuff and you can get anything engraved these days.

And without knowing more about them, it's hard to think of something more personal to them.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

nwin posted:

Anyone have any ideas on some actual USEFUL items? These guys both work in management, like to drink, and that's about it for extracurricular stuff...not muc in the golfing department or anything like that I could think of.

Thanks.

What about a beer brewing kit? Really nice pilsner glasses with their names on them? A really premium bottle of scotch?

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

innocent_deadly posted:

I went dress-shopping with an entourage - literally. My mother, grandma, MOH, my sister and good friend (both bridesmaids) and one of the groomsmen (hey, he's one of my closest friends and has killer fashion sense) and it was a freaking riot. We laughed until we cried. Seriously, bring people who will give you honest opinions without being hurtful and who will make you laugh, because trying on dresses is tedious and sometimes boring.

Secondly, if you don't like the salesperson, leave the store.

Thirdly, be totally willing to listen to suggestions from your friends and the salesperson. Like others have said, the dress you like in the magazine and the one that winds up looking fantastic on you can be very, very different things. My MOH found mine.

Fourthly, wear shoes of the approximate height of the shoes you'll want to wear. I already knew I was going to wear heels between the 2" and 3" mark, so I wore a pair of those. And wear a good bra and some shapewear. Spanx are the poo poo, and if you wear one of their body shapers, it makes diving in to dresses (literally) and shimmying out of them that much easier.

Finally, don't worry if you don't get that "OHMIGODTHISISTHEONE" moment, or get all teary-eyed. Some women do, and that's cool, and some of us don't, and that's just as cool. Honestly, my entourage was more verklempt over the dress than I was. Their verdict was in fact, oh my god, this is the dress, so I shrugged my shoulders, said, "okay", and asked my mom if it was within what she was willing to pay (I was lucky in that my parents offered to pay for my dress). She said it was fine, so we bought a dress. Sure, I look A-MAZING in it, but seriously? So far as I'm concerned, it's a freaking dress - and goddamned expensive at that. My life will not be ruined if it's not THE ONE.

And yes, my fiance is a goon as well, and yes, he's the one that got me involved.

Also, nwin: some really expensive, premium vodka or whiskey?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Throwing my question in here first..

Gonna propose soon. We've talked about it at various times and she's made it obvious she doesn't want an engagement ring (her second marriage). Unrelated conversations she has said one of her dreams is getting a 1955-1957 Chevy Bel-Air. I was thinking of making the car her engangement present instead. Not restored, way too much money. But finding a good shell to restore ourselves which was part of the conversations since I enjoy working on cars (I've restored a few before, thanks for the skills Dad!)..

What do you guys and more important girls think? Good idea or bad?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

nwin posted:

Knives are nice, but one of my groomsmen gave me one during his wedding, so that would be kind of stupid.

I could do a flask, since alcohol isn't being served at the wedding, and just fill it with their favorite liquor. However, both my guys have been in a few weddings, so I can just imagine these going into the closet after this wedding with the rest of them.

Thanks.
I've always thought the classiest groomsmen gift of all is to pay for the guys' tuxedo rentals. They'll appreciate that so much more than some monogrammed trinket, especially since groomsmen tend to incur other costs leading up to the wedding (bachelor party, etc).

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Tindjin posted:

Gonna propose soon. We've talked about it at various times and she's made it obvious she doesn't want an engagement ring (her second marriage). Unrelated conversations she has said one of her dreams is getting a 1955-1957 Chevy Bel-Air. I was thinking of making the car her engangement present instead. Not restored, way too much money. But finding a good shell to restore ourselves which was part of the conversations since I enjoy working on cars (I've restored a few before, thanks for the skills Dad!)..

I think that's really cute. I would still do some sort of proposal though with a "ring" even if its like, a rusted round whatchmacallit things from the car. Like, a piece of tubing or washer or something. Maybe a wrench all decked out in horribly bedazzled rhinestones. Something small and momento-ish. Other than that, I couldn't think of a more awesome present for a girl who is into that sort of thing.

Non-Player
Oct 27, 2007
hi. I lurk here, because I love weddings. we're talking about getting engaged, but no definite plans so far.

I wanted to chime in and say that the Chevy is a really cute and unique idea. I know nothing about car restoration, but would it be plausible to restore the car in time to use it as wedding transportation? I think that would be really sweet.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Tindjin posted:

I think that sounds like a very sweet idea, as long as you're sure she was serious about not wanting a ring. If you want something to propose with, maybe car keys or a Chevy keychain in a ring box would work?

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

Tindjin posted:

That's a loving awesome idea and I think you should go for it.

If she then bitches that she really wanted a ring, after stating she didn't, then hey! You've just weeded her out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nwin posted:

My friend got everyone engraved brass knuckles. I'm not sure how he expected them to get them through airport security (they're illegal in California at least), but everyone thought they were pretty awesome at the wedding.

You could also do custom belt buckles. That seems like it would be kind of fun and unique.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

LittleCat posted:

I think that sounds like a very sweet idea, as long as you're sure she was serious about not wanting a ring. If you want something to propose with, maybe car keys or a Chevy keychain in a ring box would work?

That's an awesome idea, and you get a fun little "fake-out" with the proposal as well. She'll be thinking "Oh great he got me a ring just like I asked him not to" and then you open it and show her the keys and everyone gets all giddy :neckbeard:

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

Start wearing your heels ALL THE TIME. When you're hanging around the house, just throw them on. Not only will you get practice walking in them, your feet will get used to the different pressure points that they're not used to. Don't forget to practice going up and down stairs, too!

That sucks about your dress, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen to me! It's really hard, there's SO much stuff out there, that you're bound to see more after you make the decision and start second guessing yourself. Hopefully it works out & when it's done you'll be happy! Can you post a picture, or is it not safe?

Hahaha my downstairs neighbors are going to murder me, but that is actually a good idea to wear them around the house. I don't have a picture of the dress on this computer but I will post at least a shot of the material since the fiancé has already seen that much :ssh:

I like http://uncrate.com/ for getting ideas for groomsmen gifts, although of course I say that and the second thing on there is a flask right now, so some help I am.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

tindjin posted:

Chevy Bel Air question..

Thanks all. Yea I've known her long enough to usually pick up on her "tells" when she really doesn't want something and when she just thinks it's too much or wanting it as a suprise so that shouldn't be a problem..

I like the idea of using a ring box with the keys in it or something, I'll be using that.

Again thanks for the feed back. ;o)

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 21, 2013

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

nwin posted:

Thanks.

I'm buying each guy in my party a really nice necktie from venice. It's nice because they'll wear the tie at the wedding and have a nice new addition to their dress wardrobes. I'm also getting some really nice engraved bottle openers, which is more of a traditional gift

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Another engaged goon checking in! (was a lurker) We're pretty much at minimal plans :( We've decided the focus of our budget (food/drink, photography). His family lives in Ohio, we're close to my parents in California, and my relatives are in Taiwan, so right now we're tossing around some ideas for two countries--a formal engagement in Taiwan with studio/scenic photography (packages are a lot cheaper there, and come with makeup design and range of dresses), and a small wedding (~20 family) with nice dinner in San Francisco, and a large party the next night for friends.

I'm not quite sure if I should ask his parents if they would like us to do anything in Ohio? How can I ask so that I'm not making it seem like I want them to sponsor a large event that they need to pay for? So far for budget we're aiming for 10k--we haven't asked our parents to chip in, and they both haven't offered, so we want to see if we can do some preliminary planning and keep our budget with creativity instead of spending money at the problem.

However, I'm at a loss of how to start planning and searching for locations, photographers, and all those details. Most of the wedding magazines are useless. Martha Stewart and Real Simple helps a bit, as is the Here Comes the Guide for possible locations around the area. But I feel the details I want to plan are things like cake, dinner menu, and stationary--and those are supposed to be the later details that come after location, photographer, and dress.

I'm one of the first set within my friends to get married. My two other friends are going with a wedding banquet hall and a golf course, and I feel like that's not really our style. I'd like to do something more inimate and a little more weird (I'm thinking about Achewood wedding arc comics for people to look at during cocktails/dinner... it's kind of those genius/insane ideas).

Of course, I learned a lot during my lurking! And I think goons are the best to help me with this: What has helped you in the start of your planning?

edit: it's really nice to see all these goons I recognize from other forums here. Congratulations! :)

jomiel fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 12, 2008

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug

Backno posted:

A big thing to know about tungsten and titanium is that they can not be resized later on in life. I was looking at titanium rings untill I found out that at some point I would have to stop wearing my wedding band.

Just wanted to chime in and say this isn't exactly true. My mother in law is a jeweler and was able to resize my ring although many if not almost all shops aren't set up to do it. It's also a pain in the rear end so might be expensive but I was lucky and it was free.

I do a lot of work with my hands, and it's nice having a ring that I can't damage without trying really hard.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I am falling in love with moissanite, and it is what my girlfriend wants. There is a link to the retailers in the OP, but no other discussion apart from that.

Is there anything I should know about moissanite that I wouldn't necessarily find out through the retailers or Wikipedia? Any conflicts? Is it a good bang for your buck?

Any personal reviews?

Edit: Err, obviously I don't mean conflicts on the scale of diamonds, since moissanites are lab-created. But you get what I'm asking. ;) Just trying to finalize a decision here.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 12, 2008

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

albedoa posted:

I am falling in love with moissanite, and it is what my girlfriend wants. There is a link to the retailers in the OP, but no other discussion apart from that.

Is there anything I should know about moissanite that I wouldn't necessarily find out through the retailers or Wikipedia? Any conflicts? Is it a good bang for your buck?

Any personal reviews?

Edit: Err, obviously I don't mean conflicts on the scale of diamonds, since moissanites are lab-created. But you get what I'm asking. ;) Just trying to finalize a decision here.

If I was going to go non-diamond, I'd go CZ and save the difference money-wise, but that's just me. If she really likes the look of the Moissanites, good for her, and just shop around a lot like you would with any other ring! Good luck!

Anyways, here's my dress "preview":

Speaking of which, is it totally dumb to want the dress to be a surprise? Matt is being sort of a butt about not being able to see the dress, on the grounds that it's a dumb tradition. He is sort of right, but it's still fun for it to be a surprise! Am I being retarded?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

CalamityKate posted:

Speaking of which, is it totally dumb to want the dress to be a surprise? Matt is being sort of a butt about not being able to see the dress, on the grounds that it's a dumb tradition. He is sort of right, but it's still fun for it to be a surprise! Am I being retarded?

He is very much being a butt about it. He thinks its funny to try and sneak peaks, but he needs to back off. Jeremy and I already live together and we saw each other before the wedding so there weren't too many surprises the day of. (LOL Virginity joke) I wanted the dress to be a surprise so when he saw me for the first time he'd be excited. I'm all for not being traditional but I still wanted to make an entrance whether before the ceremony or during. There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel like a pretty pretty princess for a day in your fabulous dress.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

CalamityKate posted:

Of all the traditions surrounding weddings, I think that the groom not seeing the dress one of the least dumb. I'm not one of those "it's all about me" brides, but when you step onto the aisle, you want all eyes on you, and you want your groom to think "wow, she's stunning".. not "oh, yah, that looks pretty good now that she's got the hair and makeup and all that." You want to surprise him. That's totally fair :)

From a purely practical standpoint, you're the one spending the most on your looks for that day, and that is the one moment you can guarantee everyone will be looking at you (and thinking positive things, pretty much no matter what), so you should get the most out of it that you can!

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

CalamityKate posted:

Can we talk shoes? I found an awesome pair of strappy heels to wear with my dress, but the problem is that I am horrible at heels. :saddowns: I think I am missing that gene or something. I am already planning to change into wedge sandals for the reception/dancing, but does anyone have any hints to reduce the pain during the ceremony and pictures? I bought those little gel stickums for the ball of the foot, but if any tall shoe pros want to chime in, please do!

Check out YouTube and online for instructions. You may even be able to find classes. The wearing the shoes suggestion is a good one, but don't overdo it as it may seriously hurt your feet. Remember to walk heel-to-toe, and take smaller steps than you otherwise would. And don't fight the hip sway--that's what the heels are for!

BUT, if you are not seeing vast improvement closer to the actual wedding date, you should find a pair of shorter heels or cute flats to substitute in case of emergency (or maybe just wear the wedges you were planning on wearing). Heels are great <em>if</em> you can pull them off. If you can't they will backfire and create the opposite of what you want. If you are tottering and unbalanced and are risking breaking an ankle, then abandon the whole idea and wear what will enable you to walk down the aisle with grace and poise.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

CalamityKate posted:

No, it's not dumb :P It totally takes a way from the "Wow!" moment if he's seen the dress before! Speaking of, that fabric's awesome, I want to see the whole dress! :)

Oh! & thanks for the picture of Syndey you gave me like MONTHS ago. :) It made me happy! (Wait, now that I looked again... that was over a YEAR ago! haha man, am I lazy at responding...)

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Tindjin posted:

This is an amazing idea. I would marry anyone on earth who proposed with a corvette stingray. It really doesn't matter who... hey AI, any takers?

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

nwin posted:

Thanks.

Honestly, if they're you're close friends, a groomsman gift probably isn't necessary. All my groomsmen were already decked out with flasks, cuffs, etc, so all they got for a gift was a couple of shots for breakfast and a bearhug each, telling them "goddamn I love you guys, thanks for being here today".

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Schroedinger posted:

BUT, if you are not seeing vast improvement closer to the actual wedding date, you should find a pair of shorter heels or cute flats to substitute in case of emergency (or maybe just wear the wedges you were planning on wearing).

Just an added note, but if you're going to switch heel heights, you need to do it prior to your first fitting. Otherwise once they alter the dress it's going to be too short/long for the shoes you swapped in. This isn't an issue if your dress isn't floor length, but if it is and you switch to different heel heights you'll have to go back & have the dress altered again.

If you're not a heel wearer, then you're definitely going to need to break in the shoes prior to the wedding, because at that point it's both an issue of learning to walk and being comfortable. People who already know how to walk in heels can tolerate walking in an unbroken pair.

Wedding Dresses

Some of these points were already covered, but I figured I'd give my input. Brides.com is a good place to start looking at dresses.

1. Figure out what shape/style(s) best suits your figure; A-line, emporer, princess, etc. Some people have a figure that looks good in a variety of dress shapes, while others are limited. Then take a look at the different necklines out there & figure out what you like.

2. Look online & in magazines. Get an idea of what's out there; designers, looks, etc. If a particular designer or style (or even a style that mimicks an era) catches your eye, write it down. If you see some dresses you really like, write down the designer & model number, and print out the picture.

If you get the chance, go to a trunk show. This is where designers show off their new designs and sell samples (you can get them cheaper than in a store). You usually have to sign up to get on the list, because they tend to limit the number of people. So if you want to go, check with your favorite designer (website, vendor, or otherwise) to find out when the next trunk show (with open spots) is, and get yourself on the list.

3. Start shopping around. If you had certain designers that you really liked, go to their websites & see if a store near you carries that line. This helps you narrow down your search so that you aren't wasting time at a store that has nothing eyecatching to you. Write down the stores you want to visit, their hours, and then make your window shopping an all day affair.

4. Bring your MOH. Maybe bring your mother (or whoever your closest family member is), and definitely make sure one of the people who comes along can be objective and give you their honest opinion. Too many people and you're bound to make a decision based on what they want, not what you want (and usually if this happens you'll realize it & start the second guessing after you've already paid on it). All you need is you, someone for support/tears (oh you're so beautiful in that dress), and someone who will make sure you at least look at some other dresses even after you claim you've found the one you want.

5. If you don't like the sales lady (and you don't see a different person around that you might like better), leave. The worst thing ever with wedding dress shopping is having a pushy/rude sales lady. You want someone who you like, and who can help you in your search. Not someone who ignores your opinion in favor of their own.

6. Keep in mind most samples in stores are size 10, with several 8's and 12's. Anything smaller or larger is going to be a rare sight. So when you shop, don't avoid trying a dress on just because it's not your size; if you can get into it, you can at least get an idea of how it looks. If it's too big they can chip-clip it in the back so you can get a better idea of the look on you. Also keep in mind that some designers run smaller, and some run true-to-size (or close to it). Most times you'll need a larger size than what you wear. I found that Maggie Sottero dresses seem to be one of the few that run true to size; I wear size 6, and the dress had to be ordered in size 5/6 and it fit perfect. I never trust the chest sizes on formed bodices though. I tried on my dress in a 10 & the chest fit nearly perfect. I tried on a 7 (different dress) from the same designer (to try & determine what size I needed to order), and the chest on that was like 2 cup sizes too big.

7. When you first walk in, just browse. Get a feel for the place & the people while you & your crew look through the dresses on your own. Once you're sure you feel comfortable with the place, go talk to a sales person. This is where your printouts & notes come in handy. Show them the pictures of dresses you liked, and why you liked them, and/or tell them what designers you liked. For example, when I went I printed out 6 dresses I loved & wanted to try on if I found them. When I showed them to a sales person I said I was looking for those dresses & similar, and that my requirements for a dress were: corset, beadwork, sweetheart or v neck (but would consider others), and floor length (prefer ballgown & similar). It makes it easier to search when you've got a couple deadset requirements, and then a couple flexible requirements. I started off by just asking where the Maggie Sottero & Demetrios racks were because I really liked those designers, but if they didn't carry many, or carried most of the ones I didn't like, I moved on to just giving them my requirements & seeing what was available from other designers that fit those.

If budget is an issue, mention it to the sales person. My budget was nothing over $1000, and the stores I was shopping in really didn't carry anything over $1000. Some stores discount the price if you buy one of the sample dresses.

8. Everything looks different on you than it does in the bag. If you're browsing through dresses in bags, then pick out a few key features to look for. This makes your browsing go a little quicker. I was dead set on corset and sweetheart neckline (and those are easy to see when browsing). We went through the racks and anytime someone found one fitting that description, I came over to take a closer look & either nix it, or mark it as something I might want to try on. Something might look pretty bland (flat) or odd in the bag, but once you pull it out & try it on you may find that it blows you away.

9. If you see a dress on a manequin that you like, and that's the only sample, don't be afraid to ask them to take it off so you can try it on.

10. Most people say not to buy the first dress you try on. However, there are certainly situations where this doesn't apply; times when you just "know" that it's the one. I looked through thousands of dresses online, and then went to stores and looked at every dress they had. There was one dress of the 6 I printed out that I absolutely loved, but I was open to other ones because I didn't expect to find it. Wouldn't you know, the third store we entered had several dresses on display as you walked in, and there it was. Right before you enter the section with the racks, there was one dress on display that caught my eye. I fell in love right away, but I decided to look through all the racks first. Then I had my MOH ask if that dress was the same one on my printout, and it was. Tried it on, loved it even more, bought it.

Bridesmaid Dresses

This is the fun part of dress shopping. Wedding dress shopping can be fun, but usually not so much comedy because you try to keep the group smaller. With bridesmaid dress shopping, it's more like a fun girls day out.

1. Get together yourself, your MOH, and all of your bridesmaids, and set a date to go shopping. Prior to the date, bounce ideas off your MOH. Look up dresses online, and mainly shop for a designer that has alot of styles that fit what you're envisioning. Use the help of your MOH in determining what designer has a decent selection, and if everyone is a similar figure, you can try selecting a few dresses to look for at the stores. I told my MOH that I would consider almost anything as long as it wasn't taffeta and was available in some shade of blue. But I did have one designer (Jasmine) that I liked more than others & wanted to focus on first.

2. Find out what stores carry those designers & lines, check out their hours, and write down the ones you want to visit.

3. Get everyone together, and carpool to the stores. Bring money for lunch/dinner, and deposits in case you find & decide on dresses.

4. Have everyone try on a variety of dresses. It's even easier if you settle on a designer and/or material. Then you can have everyone in the same color, but each wearing the dress shape/style that suits them best. Or you can do the same dress in different shades of the wedding colors; if you're blues, each girl could be a different shade of blue, etc. Or if you're the cruel type of bride, you can just put them all in the same dress, same color, and tell them too bad if they don't look good in it. Either way, just watching some girls squeeze into dresses they don't work well with, or seeing that someone wore mismatched socks, or poses goofy for pictures....it leads to a lot of laughs. Even more-so when one of the girls is more of a tom-boy. I have one picture where one girl looks like a midget and the other looks like a giant, standing next to each other in two different dresses....worst part is they're the same size.

5. The opinion of you & your MOH (assuming she's someone you're close with and honestly trust) should matter the most. The MOH should be there to help you decide, without being too pushy or too much of a softy either. If you start letting the bridesmaids run you over with their opinions, then things could get messy quick. If you & your MOH don't have a good eye for style, then you should at least read up so that everyone can trust you two to put them in dresses that work well.

6. Do not forget the camera. You'll want it for taking pictures of everyone in each dress, as well as for capturing the candid moments. It comes in very handy when you can pull up the pictures at any point & compare to dresses they're trying on at the moment, especially when you're at a different store. Also helps if you decide to just window shop that day, and then go home & compare pictures (and photoshop the dresses to the proper colors if need be) before deciding what to go with.

7. If the place you bought your dress from carries bridesmaid dresses, ask if they offer a discount if the girls buy theirs there too. The place I bought my dress from gave a 10% discount to bridesmaids if the bridal party (bride & bridesmaids) bought from them.

Adri
Jan 2, 2007
I got taco all over my pants!
I just realized that my MOH is not into really helping me. Long story short, never has time to help and doesn't offer any ideas or whatever.

I want her to still be apart of my wedding party, but not as my MOH. How can I even begin to tell her this? This sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Whoo! Finally made some progress on the planning this week.

We have a date set--April 18. And a venue. A music venue/bar. I'm a little trepidatious about this part-- we met with the moms a couple of weeks ago, who wanted us to get hitched at the local art center. I was cool with it for about a day, but the price is way out of our budget, I didn't get phone calls returned from them, and I overall felt like we wouldn't feel comfortable there. The fiance, MOH and I had half-joked about getting married at this music venue a friend of ours owns, and while there at a concert we decided to just go for it.

I'm worried because while Scott and I love the site and have a lot of memories there, the bottom line is that it's a bar. Even the owner said, "People have gotten married there before. You aren't the first. But I don't know why--it's a shithole."

We don't think it's a shithole. But we have different standards. The only really grody thing about the place is the bathrooms, and we can clean those. They aren't awful, by bar standards. The whole place is VERY dark, and it's divided in three sections. The bar area is gorgeous--lots of woods and a bar-length art-nouveau stained glass window as a backing. It has a small stage and an open area for the crowd, and an upstairs loft with a couple of dark booths and a pool table. We'd need to bring in some cocktail tables and figure out some lighting.

And the budget? Perfect. No rental fee, just a fee for booze. We'd end up paying slightly less than the Art Center and having booze included.

So Scott and I are totally comfortable there. I'm worried about what my mom (and his) will say as it gets closer. My mom knows we've changed our minds, but hasn't said anything.

Edit: Not really any photos of the place online (because it's so loving dark inside) but here: http://dotawesome.net/vaudeville/

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 14, 2008