Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Eelface posted:

Murders galore in the Mission. Lucky I live on Guerrero and 22nd

I'm at 18th and Shotwell, right in this poo poo. There's a big surge of violence and it's making me a little nervous to be honest with you. I don't live in a great neighborhood but someone got killed at 18th and Bryant and that's just a few blocks away.

There was a map with highlighted parts on the recent homicides and my house is right in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

no shoes posted:

How big is Golden Gate Park?

I think the other poster misunderstand. GGP is about 50 blocks long. It might take 30 minutes to walk through, I don't know. It's a 20 minute bike ride, anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah the park is 3 miles x .5 miles if you don't include the panhandle.

Golden Gate Park ProTip: If you do go all the way to the beach you might want to avoid the north-to-south path right at the beach end of the park as it's a notorious gay cruising zone. You won't be in any danger or anything but it's a little weird to get scoped by creepy looking dudes in sunglasses standing around some bushes. Makes for some uncomfortable conversations if you've got kids along.

alternately if you're looking for some hot anonymous action check it out I guess

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I currently live in the South Bay and recently I've decided to want to try and visit SF more. It's embarassing to have someone visit from out of town and not knowing anything to do in the one nearby major city.

My question is about transportation, should I drive up to SF and find parking or should I just take BART up there?

JeffreyAtW
Aug 17, 2004

waiwai
Take BART. Drive to Fremont or Millbrae and BART the rest of the way.

Being a Marinite, I almost ALWAYS take Golden Gate Transit into the city. Driving and parking is pretty much never worth it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Unless you'd actually like to stay out past midnight. It's a longish drive, but more than worth it to have your car when you get here.

JeffreyAtW
Aug 17, 2004

waiwai

spiderpie posted:

Unless you'd actually like to stay out past midnight. It's a longish drive, but more than worth it to have your car when you get here.

Oh, right. The whole "leaving SF at night" thing. Whoops!

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What's the big red and white tower to the south, visible from Golden Gate park?

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

stun runner posted:

Sutro Tower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_tower

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

stun runner posted:

It's actually a pretty short and enjoyable hike to the tower from the west edge of the park. Just walk up to the end of Steiner and you hit some trails through a eucalyptus grove, and the trail takes you pretty close to the base of the tower.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Papercut posted:

It's actually a pretty short and enjoyable hike to the tower from the west edge of the park. Just walk up to the end of Steiner and you hit some trails through a eucalyptus grove, and the trail takes you pretty close to the base of the tower.

Did you mean Stanyan? I don't think Steiner goes up there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

digital-entropy posted:

Did you mean Stanyan? I don't think Steiner goes up there.

Yeah, sorry. I have those wires crossed in my brain or something, I always mix them up even though I live about 5 blocks from Stanyan.

notfred
Dec 1, 2005

Papercut posted:

Yeah, sorry. I have those wires crossed in my brain or something, I always mix them up even though I live about 5 blocks from Stanyan.

Also, East end of the park. West end is Ocean Beach.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

notfred posted:

Also, East end of the park. West end is Ocean Beach.

Maybe I meant the Panhandle. :ninja:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Has anyone been to Karaoke at the Down Low on Tuesday? I used to go to karaoke every tuesday back when i was in Boston and have yet to find a replacement here. Specifically Im wondering how crowded it gets and how drunk people get.

The best thing about karaoke is watching a large drunk crowd.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

BlueBayou posted:

Has anyone been to Karaoke at the Down Low on Tuesday? I used to go to karaoke every tuesday back when i was in Boston and have yet to find a replacement here. Specifically Im wondering how crowded it gets and how drunk people get.

The best thing about karaoke is watching a large drunk crowd.

If you are from Boston and like karaoke, may I suggest Encore in the Tendernob? It is the closest thing you will find to the ambiance of the Milky Way. Though sadly, no live band.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

TrueClash posted:

If you are from Boston and like karaoke, may I suggest Encore in the Tendernob? It is the closest thing you will find to the ambiance of the Milky Way. Though sadly, no live band.

We sf bay goons make semi-regular visits to Encore.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah but I live in Berkeley.

and the ambiance I wish to recreate is tuesdays at the Bell in Hand....

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

By no means think that living in Berkeley excludes you from SF meets. At least half our regulars are from the East Bay.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

spiderpie posted:

By no means think that living in Berkeley excludes you from SF meets. At least half our regulars are from the East Bay.

Yea. We're paying a pretty penny on BART and bridge toll here.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

BlueBayou posted:

I live in Albany and always looking for further justifications for gas and toll!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Atrus posted:

I live in Albany and always looking for further justifications for gas and toll!

Not to mention finding a place to park. I don't mind driving, I don't mind being DD, but I hate, hate, hate finding parking. I might make that the rule from now on, I'll be DD, but no one can drink until we get there and they have to park the car. oooOOOOooo I like this plan. Except for the part where someone else drives my car.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

BlueBayou posted:

What the hell were you singing karaoke in the land of douche bag grad students and tourists? All the real karaoke happens out in the ghettos of Slummerville and Jamaica Plain.

For karaoke on the east bay, Mel-O-Dee at El Cerrito plaza is pretty good. I'll have to get back to you on places actually in Berkeley.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

TrueClash posted:

What the hell were you singing karaoke in the land of douche bag grad students and tourists? All the real karaoke happens out in the ghettos of Slummerville and Jamaica Plain.
It's like you people are trying to say Boston is a better place to live. Halarious! ;)

I do miss Do-Re-Mi, but I should try Mel-O-Dee...

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

TrueClash posted:

Because I dont go to sing, I go to watch drunken people sing and stumble around. If there is a good crowd, you can play fantasy drunk guy.

Anyway they had a cover at the Down Low tonight, and my friends and I only had about an hour... so we just went to Becketts for a pint

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot
Good god do I hate Muni. On the rare days I decide to actually take the bus, some drama always arises.

Today on the 27, some crazy old bitch came on and started hitting me for not giving her my seat, even though the bus was half empty and there were a substantial amount of empty seats around me. I kicked her back and told her not to touch me, and she proceeded to start yelling in Chinese until someone told her to shut up (not that it did anything).

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Last night on the 38, a fight broke out and the cops had to be called. Some large black guy decided to be a white knight and stomped down to the back to throw the perp off the bus so we could all get home, but he scurried back once he saw the size of the guy. Another crazy guy on the bus proceeded to loudly berate the driver for following procedure and calling the cops, because he just wanted to get home.

As a result, it took me longer to get from 4th & King to my house than it took to get from Foster City to the 4th & King. gently caress this poo poo, I'm buying a car. More convenient, less bumpy, and more importantly, no crazy people.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
After almost 9 months of living/working in the south bay and traveling everywhere from San Luis Obispo to Eureka, I never, ever want to leave NorCal. Permanently, I mean. What an amazing part of the country.

Kimball_Ninja
Dec 24, 2004
New to this thread, new to San Francisco. Just moved from Boston

I think it's funny that some people are talking about karaoke in Boston, I went to 2 goon meets last year, one at Otherside and one at Do-Re-Mi!

Anyway, just got here about 2 and a half weeks ago, looking for a place, and just went surfing for the first time Saturday. I'm having a great time so far.

I know this wasn't a very substantial post, but just wanted to give a shout out. I'll be asking more questions soon.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Right on. There's a whole Boston -> SF crew that happened recently. I just moved back to the bay 2 years ago, after living in Boston for almost 8 years.

Basically, the bay area is way fuckin sweeter than Boston

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

RobotEmpire posted:

After almost 9 months of living/working in the south bay and traveling everywhere from San Luis Obispo to Eureka, I never, ever want to leave NorCal. Permanently, I mean. What an amazing part of the country.

But you've only been along the coast of California? :confused:

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I live in Marin and I know poo poo-all about things to do in SF, I know I'm dumb. What are some good maybe lesser known music venues? How about comedy clubs I've only been to the Punchline, I know there's gotta be some other good ones. Also what's a nice little cafe or diner? Just asking for good personal recommendations I guess.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

bromplicated posted:

I live in Marin and I know poo poo-all about things to do in SF, I know I'm dumb. What are some good maybe lesser known music venues? How about comedy clubs I've only been to the Punchline, I know there's gotta be some other good ones. Also what's a nice little cafe or diner? Just asking for good personal recommendations I guess.

Lesser known music venues? I mean which ones do you know? People have mentioned tons of spots in this thread. Heres some

Independent
Mezzanine
Red Devil
Mighty
Hemlock
The Gay Baby
Great American

for comedy, Cobb's is big and Purple Onion is good for smaller people and open mics. Can be painful sometimes

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
just kidding about the gay baby, that club sucks

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

What's up 'my last place was in Boston' buddies! :hfive:

Just to re-remind people we meet up in SF pretty frequently. Bookmark the thread and come out when we're doing a meetup!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is anyone else as excited as I am about the Academy of Sciences opening? It's going to be free all day Saturday, although I'm sure it'll be completely packed. The photos and floor plan of the place look incredible.

They're going for LEED Platinum certification, which would make it only the 14th or 15th building in California to get it, and 50-some buildings total in the US.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Papercut posted:

Is anyone else as excited as I am about the Academy of Sciences opening? It's going to be free all day Saturday, although I'm sure it'll be completely packed. The photos and floor plan of the place look incredible.

They're going for LEED Platinum certification, which would make it only the 14th or 15th building in California to get it, and 50-some buildings total in the US.

I've been there twice, and was actually disappointed. Granted, I bought a membership, and went to the member preview, but quite a few things weren't finished and a lot of the tanks seemed like they needed a good cleaning. I imagine they'll fix it up for the opening, but I came away a little miffed since I'd bought the membership.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'll pretend I didn't read that. :arghfist:

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm so stoked on the planetarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffreyAtW
Aug 17, 2004

waiwai

Entransca posted:

Good god do I hate Muni. On the rare days I decide to actually take the bus, some drama always arises.

Today on the 27, some crazy old bitch came on and started hitting me for not giving her my seat, even though the bus was half empty and there were a substantial amount of empty seats around me. I kicked her back and told her not to touch me, and she proceeded to start yelling in Chinese until someone told her to shut up (not that it did anything).

You kicked an old lady? D:

Atrus posted:

It's like you people are trying to say Boston is a better place to live. Halarious! ;)

I do miss Do-Re-Mi, but I should try Mel-O-Dee...

Mel-O-Dee is nice. It attracts an older crowd, though, and it's really just a bar, and not a place with individual room. A lot more chill, is what I'm saying. Worth going if you haven't.

JeffreyAtW fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 24, 2008

• Locked thread