Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Chows posted:

No, you can't. There are ceramic capacitors that are perfectly fine for audio-frequency applications, and it's not obvious from the picture whether it's something good like an NP0 or something less desirable like an X7R.

:saddowns: I had no idea. It just looked like the crappy little orange disk ones I see in cheap stuff. I googled the one they sent and it's one of these so it would appear I had the right idea, if for the wrong reasons. Is there a resource somewhere that will allow me to fiure out what's good before I shoot off my mouth again?

Also, Bearsuit: Make, model, and specs? It definitely looks sexy as hell. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emonkey
Jun 30, 2007
I just picked this thing up today:

I've grown tired of the emg sound and loved my ibanez rg 2610e enough I wanted to get something else japanese made with duncans. It's also my first with a maple fingerboard so that's something new.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I think I've become to electric guitars what Agreed is to pedals

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It's a Gibson Custom Shop 58 VOS, and I got it from Kim Thayil's cousin in exchange for my PRS Custom 22!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a Gibson Custom Shop 58 VOS, and I got it from Kim Thayil's cousin in exchange for my PRS Custom 22!

You are a sick little piggy, but you have awesome taste.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So the Singing Tree totally came in. I opened 'er up, and there are maybe 7 parts on breadboard that constitute the main circuit, plus a couple resistors soldered to a pot and the switch (?) here and there. I would be more surprised if I wasn't used to the boutique pedals business model by now (although the builder does advertise them as environmentally friendly on the basis that the housings are not painted with aerosol paint, the enclosures have cork feet, and his pedals are simple circuits "to prevent waste" or something like that, not sure what to make of that claim since the enclosure is a big metal thing from China which pretty much dwarfs the environmental impact saved on the other things). Needless to say, the pedal looks great, has true-bypass switching, the LED is non-standard (bright white LED), and there is a "unique" feature to differentiate it from the herd of 3-knob ODs. In this case, it's the sort-of tone knob. It sounds to me more like tone+bias, but I can't really tell what it's doing electrically because I haven't traced the circuit or anything like that, just glanced at it. What I do know is that it has a huge impact on the sound, much more than just a standard tone knob.

Anyway, simple circuit or not, the fact is that this is capable of very power-tube esque OD, which I determined empirically by alternating between it on a clean channel and my THD Univalve with its gain cranked. Yeah, the THD definitely displays the fact that it's a ~thousand dollar 15W tube amp and the Singing Tree is just a pedal, but it is still a remarkably power-tube character to it. Kinda dry and cranked old Fender-ish. Capable of really hairy fuzz textured overdrive, though, even some gnarly square wave stuff. I impressed my wife (but bored my dog :cry:) by getting some really synth-like tones out of it into my SMMH's mod echo phaser/flanger patch.

But what does she know?! I thought it was very cool, and much more than I expected from a pedal with such a simple circuit.

Free to me since I won the https://www.fuzzhugger.com giveaway, but I would recommend it. I mean, let's face it, a Tubescreamer is a really goddamned simple circuit too, but a reissue TS costs upwards of $100. For $85, with the sort of features you expect from a boutique pedal, you get what you pay for at the "market" level, though any DIY'er will tell you that with boutique pedals that never ever translates to the circuit level.

Here's a picture of the stuff that was in the shipping box (well, I've taken out the packing material - lots of hefty bubblewrap and little air bags, these guys take care to make sure your stuff gets to you in good shape!):

The bottlecaps were excellent, and finally excited the envy of my dog, as you can see:

Carbohydrates posted:

I got it from Kim Thayil's cousin in exchange for my PRS Custom 22!

Pfft you wish, you let things go to bring other things in

Cool old me, I add to the hoard baby

OH YEAH

(it's all a ruse, I'm jealous as can be)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 11, 2008

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Carbohydrates posted:

gently caress man, I checked back through your posts in the thread. That's all I have to say...gently caress man.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Sigh.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Ichron posted:

gently caress man, I checked back through your posts in the thread. That's all I have to say...gently caress man.
Wow, 11 guitars since Nov 07? Doesn't feel like it's been that many. I no longer have 4 of those, though, with a fifth about to go up for sale. I do like to switch up my gear a lot.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
that is a great looking R8... I want it

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Carbohydrates posted:

Wow, 11 guitars since Nov 07? Doesn't feel like it's been that many. I no longer have 4 of those, though, with a fifth about to go up for sale. I do like to switch up my gear a lot.

How does the R8 neck feel anyways?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

IanTheM posted:

How does the R8 neck feel anyways?
Big, giant, massive. I love it so much. It's the main reason I'm keeping the guitar, actually. I only intended to get the guitar to sell it- I was trying to sell the PRS, no one bit, I got offered a trade for a guitar worth more money that looked easier to sell, so I took the deal intending to flip the Gibson. But the neck is just great compared to my other LP which feels closer to a 60's neck, not my preference at all, so I decided to keep the R8 and sell the other one instead.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

So the Singing Tree totally came in. I opened 'er up, and there are maybe 7 parts on breadboard that constitute the main circuit

I know people like to go on about his, but when you buy pedals you should really buy with your ear. If those 7 parts get you where you want to go then they are worth much, much more than a ~30 component DOD Grunge. Most vintage fuzzes are only 2-3 transistors, most nice old amps only have a few preamp tubes (that said I think the whole "fewer components in signal chain is best" mentality is bullshit).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

the wizards beard posted:

I know people like to go on about his, but when you buy pedals you should really buy with your ear. If those 7 parts get you where you want to go then they are worth much, much more than a ~30 component DOD Grunge. Most vintage fuzzes are only 2-3 transistors, most nice old amps only have a few preamp tubes (that said I think the whole "fewer components in signal chain is best" mentality is bullshit).

Oh, I don't worry about that apart from commenting on it sometimes. I'm not a FSB "lollerskates this circuit is simple, ripoff!!!" jackass; I prefer to think of a pedal's value as market-relative, not circuit-relative. I have very positive thoughts about this pedal, but I thought it was worth commenting on that it is quite simple.

I also like my Aramat Mojo Fuzz, which has maybe 13 parts. Ain't no thang, mang.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 11, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I went a bit crazy today and bought not one but TWO pedals. Stupid impulsiveness. I've wanted a real chorus for a while. I have a POS Behringer that would actually be a great pedal if it wasn't made of noise and plastic. Besides those two "minor" issues it had a decent sound. Today I traipsed around town visiting music shops and trying out gear. The Boss pedals sounded "OK", I couldn't get one good sound out of the Marshall and the Danelectros just didn't sound right to me. Then out came the Electro-Harmonix pedals. The Nano was cool but had a noticeable volume drop when engaged and with one control the effect was a bit limited. The Small Clone was a bit too "Chorusy". The Clone Theory though hit the nail on the head. Two different types of chorus that both sound great and the vibrato effect is great fun. I got some great sounds out of this pedal right away. Nifty!

(edit: I seem to have used the word "great" a great number of times above. Ho-ho).

This was an impulse purchase. It was on sale for €50 (Attention The Wizard's Beard: Musicmaker have slashed the prices on their Line6 stompboxes for some reason. They also have that new Line6 pedal that looks like 5 stompboxes glued together). I like the gate function, the high gain and the EQ which has a lot of range. Seems to have more body and less fizz than my Zoom TriMetal.

Sorry about the stock images, but my camera is poo poo and they're both mass produced pieces of gear anyway, not handmade, one of a kinds.

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 11, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You see, I already have a Line6 Flextone IIXL which I believe contains the guts of a Pod 2.0, but it's having some problems at te moment, and I was never too satisfied with the heavy tones out of it. Is it worth picking up an Uber Metal?

I'm going to a show in a few hours so I don't know if I'll have time to install and try out my new SD Blackout, do you know how many Line6 pedals were left? Might have to wait until the weekend to make a trip in.

e: looks like the Uber is based on the Vetta and HD147, which I know have some nicy metal sounds (Meshuggah). Going to listen to youtube demos.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 11, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I think I snarfed the last Uber Metal as he couldn't find a boxed one. There was a few other types left though. From looking at the Line6 website I can tell you I remember definitely a Dr. Distorto, an Ottofilter, a Constrictor and a Crunchtone. The other ones I'm not sure on.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Zakalwe posted:

How can you have a scoop nob yet control over the mids at the same time? :psypop:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I think the Scoop control either scoops or boosts the mids, and Mid controls the centre frequency of the scoop/boost.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

the wizards beard posted:

I think the Scoop control either scoops or boosts the mids, and Mid controls the centre frequency of the scoop/boost.

That's pretty counter-intuitive considering the Bass and Treb. knobs are regular EQ function. They should have just stacked the pot and labeled it Mid and Mid Freq.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Too expensive, just draw a red ring round the two knobs.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

SteelWav posted:

I bought several keyboards since a month

Looks like a nice haul. Good luck programming the DX7, it can be a bit of a bear to get your head around.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Hey Agreed, can you recommend a decent Wah pedal? I'm looking for a 70s funky sort of sound, and as far as I can tell a wah is the way to get there. Am I barking up the wrong tree for that sort of sound, or do you have a name you can toss out that's reasonably affordable?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Coca Koala posted:

Hey Agreed, can you recommend a decent Wah pedal? I'm looking for a 70s funky sort of sound, and as far as I can tell a wah is the way to get there. Am I barking up the wrong tree for that sort of sound, or do you have a name you can toss out that's reasonably affordable?

You probably either want a wah pedal or an autowah, depending on whether you mean something like voodoo child, or just general funky comping stuff.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I've yet to meet a wah that *can't* get you in funk territory, but ZombiePeanut has a point... you might want to give an AutoWah pedal a try. I had a Boss AW-3 that did a surprisingly good job of wah-ing based on stumming intensity. The tempo option is pretty cool too.

If you want an actual rocking wah pedal, I'll go ahead and recommend the Crybaby 535q. It's got an adjustable boost and Q range, so you can adjust the sweeping frequency range, so you can dial in a couple of different was styles.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bisticles posted:

I've yet to meet a wah that *can't* get you in funk territory, but ZombiePeanut has a point... you might want to give an AutoWah pedal a try. I had a Boss AW-3 that did a surprisingly good job of wah-ing based on stumming intensity. The tempo option is pretty cool too.

If you want an actual rocking wah pedal, I'll go ahead and recommend the Crybaby 535q. It's got an adjustable boost and Q range, so you can adjust the sweeping frequency range, so you can dial in a couple of different was styles.

I've heard that the crybabys arn't true bypass, is that true?

Alecks
Dec 28, 2005

Just got it in the mail a few weeks ago. The finish looks pretty cool, and it sounds fantastic with heavy gauge strings.

I just upgraded to this after using a cheap romanian violin. Made in Germany, circa 1822. My local violin maker had this as a project for the last few years, and thought that I would give it a good home :cool:

Just got it today, I think that the Russian version is a lot warmer sounding than the normal Big Muff Pi, which has too much high end. It sounds pretty good on my Vox DA20, and a lot better on my buddy's AC15CC.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Stux posted:

I've heard that the crybabys arn't true bypass, is that true?

Yes, but the buffers in the current models are way better than the old ones that had a reputation for sucking the high-end.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

New stuff coming soon:

Korg MS2000R

At first I wanted a MicroKorg. The Microkorg has the same engine as this, plus a mic which I already have, small keys and is harder to edit in real-time, so I settled for a rackmount version of the MS2000. I already have a Midi controller so I think it will be fine. It has the vocoder fonction of the MicroKorg and it's basically everything I want in a virtual analog synth without costing upwards $1k like those Nords. Why not VSTs? Well for me it's not spontaneous enough, and I don't want to spend hours mapping knobs.

Casio SK-1

I bought this for the cheap tones and the 8-bit / 9.28kHz sampling. I think it's going to be fun. If you don't believe me, watch this AMAZING commercial from 1985.

Casio Rapman

Yeah! Come one! DJ! More cheap tones.
This one came along with the SK-1 in the same package.

Still no 70s synth though. A Korg MS-10? A stringer? We'll see.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

SteelWav posted:

Casio SK-1

I bought this for the cheap tones and the 8-bit / 9.28kHz sampling. I think it's going to be fun. If you don't believe me, watch this AMAZING commercial from 1985.

Oh the fun we had recording fart noises, burps and curse words into my cousin's Casio SK-1...

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Well, I received my lace telecaster pickups yesterday.

Of course, now I need the rest of the hardware and a neck, but hey, it's closer.

SimulClassPower
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbotSD
I rarely buy guitars. I have bought like four other guitars, of which I still own two, in 19 years. This one popped up on a local site and as I have pretty much given up on ever finding an all-original, unmolested Washburn Hawk, I figured I would go for this Japanese copy...

It's an Onyx of some variety, apparently from 1982, their high-end model made just for the Canadian and Australian market. This was from the Matsumoku factory that also made Vantage and Aria guitars back in the day, and parts for Gotoh. Allegedly the pups and tuners are unbranded Gotoh. The guitar is a 5-piece neckthru, I think alder wings on maple, with a fixed string-thru bridge, machined brass nut and saddles, so it has a clear, bright tone with just a goofy amount of sustain. The pups are really nice, super-quiet and sort of a "hot PAF" kind of sound. A little too growly and loose for metal but excellent for rock riffing. Mid-gain settings on the neck pickup just makes you want to play Iommi solo licks for days.

I'm a lovely photographer and don't have good light today, which is too bad because I can't get pics that adequately show off how sweet-looking this guitar is... it's got a black walnut finish on the wings and mostly matte brass hardware. It verges on steampunk...

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
^^ That is gorgeous. How much did it run you, if you don't mind saying? ^^

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Yeah! Come one! DJ! More cheap tones.
This one came along with the SK-1 in the same package.
Nice find! I hope you eventually get the JX8P, too.

quote:

Still no 70s synth though. A Korg MS-10? A stringer? We'll see.
As someone who owns both the Eminent Unique 310 and the Solina String Ensemble - don't bother. Get Reaktor and the Solina/310 ensembles. Sounds better than the sample library, too.

SimulClassPower
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbotSD

Ferrous Wheel posted:

^^ That is gorgeous. How much did it run you, if you don't mind saying? ^^

$400, including a very solid but graffiti-d OHSC. I couldn't find any references to it online, so I picked it up, looked at it, played it a bit, and thought "hell, yes, this is at least a $400 guitar." Plus, he was willing to let me test-drive it with my rig for a weekend(!)

I think I got a pretty square deal, possibly a real score. The build quality of the thing is amazing. Everything's perfectly designed and executed.

It's a really sweet player as long as you don't mind narrow necks--it's definitely made for smaller hands. And again, it's got the best sustain of any guitar I've ever played that wasn't a really dark-sounding mahogany beast.

I'm going to try and take some better pics if we get sunlight today...

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

My first tube amp, a Kustom '36 Coupe 112 2-channel combo:

This is replacing a Line 6 Spider III. So I guess I need some stomp boxes to replace the built-in effects on the spider.

Or perhaps not.

Hello Line 6 M13 Stomp Box Modeler

This thing is incredibly versatile, and even has a 28-second looper. :toot:

LongSack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 13, 2008

Thieretical
Jul 18, 2007
Just bought this sweet little babe, a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline:

It goes for $280 new at GC, but between a $25 gift card from a friend and a $30 discount for a minor cosmetic flaw (read: mojo, vintage-relic-ing), it was a no brainer. I've been looking around for a cheap, single-coil counterpart to my Les Paul Studio, which I've never really liked (but had to buy many years ago because it was going for $600!).

This series of Squiers and the Classic Vibes are made in China, and both series are getting rave reviews. I can totally see why. It feels just as well-constructed as anything else in the store, bar the high-end custom shop stuff. Stays in tune great, sounds lovely, and is even quite nice to play acoustically. In particular, the neck (Gibson scale, and a very thin C profile) and fingerboard (an unusual 7.25") make this a breeze to play with my relatively small hands. I mean, almost all of the 'standard' Fenders are out of the question for me due to their physical specs. They're just uncomfortable.

Anyway, I may someday replace the pickups and I will definitely try to remove the neck pickup cover because I hate the muffled tone, but I'm absolutely loving this purchase. I've played many guitars, especially during the two weekends I hung out in Guitar Center to play everything they had, and I've rarely felt the instant rapport with a guitar that I felt with this one. I'll keep the Les Paul for when I need the tone, but this is definitely my actual guitar now. Too bad it says Squier on the headstock. I think Fender should get rid of the brand and just introduce a budget Fender class below "Standard". Not "Sub-Standard" but you know what I mean.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Thieretical posted:

Anyway, I may someday replace the pickups and I will definitely try to remove the neck pickup cover because I hate the muffled tone, but I'm absolutely loving this purchase. I've played many guitars, especially during the two weekends I hung out in Guitar Center to play everything they had, and I've rarely felt the instant rapport with a guitar that I felt with this one. I'll keep the Les Paul for when I need the tone, but this is definitely my actual guitar now. Too bad it says Squier on the headstock. I think Fender should get rid of the brand and just introduce a budget Fender class below "Standard". Not "Sub-Standard" but you know what I mean.

I've heard of quite a few instances where someone find a really good playing guitar from a supposedly budget source. How different does the tone get when you have the hollowbody?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

LongSack posted:

Hello Line 6 M13 Stomp Box Modeler

This thing is incredibly versatile, and even has a 28-second looper. :toot:

Any chance you could post a little bit of a review of it? I've been eyeing it for a while and went down to my local shop to try it, but sod's law: their demo was destroyed in a flood (as were a few american-made strats. sad day.)

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Run Dodo Run posted:

Any chance you could post a little bit of a review of it? I've been eyeing it for a while and went down to my local shop to try it, but sod's law: their demo was destroyed in a flood (as were a few american-made strats. sad day.)

I've only had it one day, but here goes...

(Go here for the owner's manual.)

Imagine a petalboard, which you can put any 12 petals on at one time, and any 4 can be active at one time. You can tweak the settings, and they are automatically saved, so you don't have to remember to 'store' settings.

Now imagine that you have 12 of those virtual petalboards. The M13 has 12 "scenes" each of which is a virtual petalboard of (up to) 12 different petals each. Everything is color coded, and the 12 buttons light up with the color of what effect they're set for: Distortion (yellow), Delay (green), Modulation (blue), Filter (purple), and Reverb (orange). It also has true analog bypass when none of the effects are active (or you can choose DSP bypass to avoid the relay clicks).

And a 28-second looper :)

Here is a list of the models that you can choose from, but as a summary:

Delay: 15 models
Modulation: 16 models
Distortion: 16 models, plus 5 other compression and misc models
Filter: 15 models, this is the weird stuff like growler, synth, wah
Reverb: 11 models

I've barely begin to scratch the surface, mostly playing with the distortion models and some of the filter stuff.

Quite possibly the best US$500 I've spent in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Well that was fast. :downs: How does it all sound though?

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 14, 2008