Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Can anyone tell me if automotive racing helmets are good for motorcycles? I wouldn't think they are but I want one like The Stig. :p

Checked out Craft helmets?

They're made for bikes, and if that's not enough, you can choose to be the black stig or the white stig :)

http://www.craft-helmets.com/RX6_Evolution.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
My new AGV S-4. bought for £180, really quiet, pretty good anti fog visor as well.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
That AGV (I think it's called that in the states) confused me when I saw it. The sizing of a large fit like a small for their other models.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 11, 2008

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
If anyone could help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to find a specific pair of austrian made gauntlet gloves, made by a company called Racer. The specific glove is called the "High End" glove, but is near impossible to find stateside. I found a few companies that have webstores that show them, but when I email them I never get a response, and one of them even goes to someone's home phone :eek:

The gloves in question:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/racer-gloves/

Does anyone know where the hell to get these in the US? Or would a fellow UK/Euro goon help me out?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Revenant, this came up recently on BARF. There's some places that carry them that you could contact in this thread.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262081&highlight=racer+gloves

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
Gear review: Pinlock anti-fog inserts for my Shoei RF-1000 = amazing. I got a pre-pinned visor from bikebandit, along with the insert.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
After sweating like a pig for half the afternoon I finally bought a summer jacket today:

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/123/175/Textile_Jackets/Heartbreaker_Jacket

Yeah it's girly as hell but it's comfortable and looks great :D So far really happy with it, it has 1 vent in each arm and 2 down the back that get a surprising amount of air flowing through them. Great price too, it was marked down to AUS$179.

If anyone in Melbourne is interested in picking up some Joe Rocket gear cheap, 1300 Kawasaki on Ferntree Gully Road is selling it off cheap as they're now a Peter Stevens and won't be selling the brand anymore. Some of the leather jackets were $350 down from $600 so well worth a look.

huplescat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 12, 2008

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've got a wet ride tomorrow. I soaked two pairs of gloves yesterday and want to prevent pruned hands again. Would wearing nitrile gloves under my gloves be helpful (keep me dry without compromising grip and feel)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Uthor posted:

I've got a wet ride tomorrow. I soaked two pairs of gloves yesterday and want to prevent pruned hands again. Would wearing nitrile gloves under my gloves be helpful (keep me dry without compromising grip and feel)?

I've done it once before and it was alright. At worst you can always pull over and strip them off. I found heated grips were the best thing for riding in the rain.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Uthor posted:

If it's even moderately warm outside your hands will still get pruned because they'll sweat - the nitrile gloves don't breathe. It will work if the ride isn't that long, though.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

I need some goony advice.

Looking to pick up some boots for riding, but have been blessed by God with chode feet. You see, my feet aren't long measuring in at only a US11_1/2 but my feet come in at a EEEE in width. Yeah, it's about as wide as you can get.

You can imagine that buying shoes for me is somewhat difficult. Any of you other goons have similar feet that can attest to some good brands?

Planning on just going and trying some on, but am wondering what brands I should look for.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Z3n posted:

Revenant, this came up recently on BARF. There's some places that carry them that you could contact in this thread.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262081&highlight=racer+gloves

Thanks for the link. It looks like Racer US just dropped off the face of the earth and every single vendor that I've emailed has responded with a 'these are discontinued' or 'we haven't been able to get in contact with them at all for the past few weeks, we are talking with Racer directly now..'

Anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of full gauntlets without breaking the bank? From what I've heard Held used to be the good stuff, but their manufacturing has been outsourced and quality has gone downhill. My current Alpinestars GP-Plus gloves had seen a long hard life of service and are showing the kevlar in the palms so I think it's time for new gloves.

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/115/147/Gloves/Sonic_Glove

Ive had a set of these for over a year. great gloves.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of full gauntlets without breaking the bank? From what I've heard Held used to be the good stuff, but their manufacturing has been outsourced and quality has gone downhill. My current Alpinestars GP-Plus gloves had seen a long hard life of service and are showing the kevlar in the palms so I think it's time for new gloves.

I don't know if these are full gauntlet, but Roadgear's Adaptive-Tec have received a very favorable review here.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

MetalClawWolf posted:

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/115/147/Gloves/Sonic_Glove

Ive had a set of these for over a year. great gloves.

Polynomial posted:

I don't know if these are full gauntlet, but Roadgear's Adaptive-Tec have received a very favorable review here.

Those are both nice protective touring gloves, but I'm looking for something more racer oriented. I do plenty of trackdays and want to start racing soon, so I'm looking for something that will keep my digits intact. Thanks though!

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Those are both nice protective touring gloves, but I'm looking for something more racer oriented. I do plenty of trackdays and want to start racing soon, so I'm looking for something that will keep my digits intact. Thanks though!

So you want a track gear?

You looking for kangaroo or plain leather?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

MetalClawWolf posted:

So you want a track gear?

You looking for kangaroo or plain leather?

Either works. The Racer gloves had 'roo on the palm and leather on the rest of the glove.

I really like the idea of joining the pinky and ring finger like alpinestars does. I would love to get these Racer gloves because they have all of the exact features in a glove, at a stellar price. Any UK goons that could help out?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Either works. The Racer gloves had 'roo on the palm and leather on the rest of the glove.

I really like the idea of joining the pinky and ring finger like alpinestars does. I would love to get these Racer gloves because they have all of the exact features in a glove, at a stellar price. Any UK goons that could help out?

Helimot H20s. Expensive, but repaired for cheap (after 3 low speed crashes they replaced some panels and redyed, and shortened the wrist straps at my request for 20$ shipped). Little thicker but protect like none other, you will never have to get them replaced, only repaired, and they will custom make them to fit your hand.

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

Not bling, not well known, but drat well made and absurdly durable. Only gloves I've ever worn through multiple crashes. They are somewhat thicker than most, but I didn't notice that after wearing them for a couple of minutes. Best if you can go in and get them fitted in person as they'll let you try on different gloves in your size until you find the ones that are just right, even mixing and matching pairs/sizes to fit you as needed.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 14, 2008

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

huplescat posted:

If anyone in Melbourne is interested in picking up some Joe Rocket gear cheap, 1300 Kawasaki on Ferntree Gully Road is selling it off cheap as they're now a Peter Stevens and won't be selling the brand anymore. Some of the leather jackets were $350 down from $600 so well worth a look.

Thanks for the heads up on that - my other half is chasing a summer jacket, so I'll get her to go down and have a look.

Spring is teasing us in Melbourne as usual - a couple of gorgeous days and now I'm looking outside at gale force wind and rain.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

spacepirate posted:

Were can I find headphones that fit in my helmet? I have an Icon Mainframe helmet if that makes a difference. It has little pouches expressly for that purpose.

I'm wondering this also.

I have an iphone - bonus points if they'll allow me to answer calls too.

I've looked at the Scala Rider Q2, and I'm very interested in it as a bluetooth headset for my helmet, but I'd love to use it for music when not in calls. The built in FM radio doesn't do much for me though, and I don't think the iPhone will transmit music over it's bluetooth connection, I think its just for calls...

Anyone have experience with a 1-unit for calls/music option?

EDIT: after doing a little research - it seems like the Scala Rider Q2 might do what i need in a bit of a roundabout way. plug a small FM transmitter into my ipod, tune the built in FM receiver in to hear music while having it connected to iphone via bluetooth to be able to answer calls. seem feasible? i've never seen the scala rider units in person...

civilian.d fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 15, 2008

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

the letter b posted:

Thanks for the heads up on that - my other half is chasing a summer jacket, so I'll get her to go down and have a look.

Spring is teasing us in Melbourne as usual - a couple of gorgeous days and now I'm looking outside at gale force wind and rain.

Melbourne weather :argh:

I had a ride planned for last Sunday, but BOM said showers and wind so we cancelled. Showers didn't happen, but that goddamn wind has been nasty the last few days especially on a 250 with fairings.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Are there any helmets similar to Schuberth in that they have an inside retractable sun-visor? For example this one here: http://www.schuberth.de/index.php?id=120&L=0

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

huplescat posted:

Melbourne weather :argh:

I had a ride planned for last Sunday, but BOM said showers and wind so we cancelled. Showers didn't happen, but that goddamn wind has been nasty the last few days especially on a 250 with fairings.

Agreed.. I ride a reasonably large, heavy bike that seems to act more like a parachute, especially on the westgate and bolte. I can't imagine it on something lighter.

Although last Friday afternoon was reasonably warm - I actually got relatively hot in my gear for the first time in this state! It's making me re-think my choice in boots.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the letter b posted:

Agreed.. I ride a reasonably large, heavy bike that seems to act more like a parachute, especially on the westgate and bolte. I can't imagine it on something lighter.

I had to crank the dampener way up on my last ride to fight the wobblies and I was only bumming around on county roads.

My bike only weighs around 300 lbs with fuel though.

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Are there any helmets similar to Schuberth in that they have an inside retractable sun-visor? For example this one here: http://www.schuberth.de/index.php?id=120&L=0

http://www.caberg-helm.com/?l=en

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The Scorpion EXO-1000 also has that feature

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Lascivious Sloth posted:

HJC Symax II helments have that and they're on sale at NewEnough.com

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/sy_max_2_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So does the HJC FS-10, if you have a head that fits their helmets and don't want a flipup.

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!
I am trying to find the insulated pouches that fit over the controls. They were basically big mittens that fit over the front controls to keep your hands warm when it starts getting cold. Does anyone remember what they are called?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

spacepirate posted:

I am trying to find the insulated pouches that fit over the controls. They were basically big mittens that fit over the front controls to keep your hands warm when it starts getting cold. Does anyone remember what they are called?

Hippo Hands.

jiro9702
Aug 1, 2008
So has anyone tried out the Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket yet? Interested in one, but I live in North Dakota, so need something that can handle the cold temperatures. Also looking for a good set of gauntlet style gloves. Trying to buy more quality riding gear, sick of hoodies and beanies, don't do much if I got hit. Let me know what you all think!

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Z3n posted:

Helimot H20s. Expensive, but repaired for cheap (after 3 low speed crashes they replaced some panels and redyed, and shortened the wrist straps at my request for 20$ shipped). Little thicker but protect like none other, you will never have to get them replaced, only repaired, and they will custom make them to fit your hand.

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

Not bling, not well known, but drat well made and absurdly durable. Only gloves I've ever worn through multiple crashes. They are somewhat thicker than most, but I didn't notice that after wearing them for a couple of minutes. Best if you can go in and get them fitted in person as they'll let you try on different gloves in your size until you find the ones that are just right, even mixing and matching pairs/sizes to fit you as needed.

I'm really interested in these but from I gather it's important to try several pairs on/have them altered after break-in for proper fit. Since I'm in NJ I have a hard time seeing how I would be able to get a good pair sight unseen...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I'm really interested in these but from I gather it's important to try several pairs on/have them altered after break-in for proper fit. Since I'm in NJ I have a hard time seeing how I would be able to get a good pair sight unseen...

Honestly, I bet if you called them, they could figure something out. Like you faxing them a trace of your hands or something. They've been doing it for a long time...they took a trace of my hand when they did my suit, and Helmut guessed the correct set of gloves off the rack for me. Of course, I got to try them on, but still.

Plus, if you didn't wear them for a significant period of time, they'd probably be willing to take them as exchanges. (Ie, you try them on, call them and say "these ones are too loose", they'll probably exchange you for a slightly smaller pair).

I don't think you'd have to have them altered after break in. I have really small wrists compared to my hand size, which is the only reason I needed work done to them, and I just took a few measurements and asked them to cut the straps down the appropriate amount. No problems.

I really strongly encourage you to give them a call...chances are very good they'll be able to sort you out :)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm looking for a new helmet and I'm not sure what to look at. I currently have a plain Shoei RF-1000 but I'm looking to go with something with graphics. It's been 2.5 years of not being flashy I think I deserve it.

What are some good brands?

Scorpion and AGV are the only other good brands I can think off and I'm really not to sure about scorpions. The Shoei graphics on the RF-1000 aren't really appealing but I love the helmet to death and my current one is almost dead.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

Honestly, I bet if you called them, they could figure something out. Like you faxing them a trace of your hands or something. They've been doing it for a long time...they took a trace of my hand when they did my suit, and Helmut guessed the correct set of gloves off the rack for me. Of course, I got to try them on, but still.

Plus, if you didn't wear them for a significant period of time, they'd probably be willing to take them as exchanges. (Ie, you try them on, call them and say "these ones are too loose", they'll probably exchange you for a slightly smaller pair).

I don't think you'd have to have them altered after break in. I have really small wrists compared to my hand size, which is the only reason I needed work done to them, and I just took a few measurements and asked them to cut the straps down the appropriate amount. No problems.

I really strongly encourage you to give them a call...chances are very good they'll be able to sort you out :)

I'm really stoked about this. These gloves seem to be the perfect combination of understatement, function, and comfort. Realistically, how well does the foam padding hold up to a hard collision from a highside as compared to plastic/carbon armor?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I'm really stoked about this. These gloves seem to be the perfect combination of understatement, function, and comfort. Realistically, how well does the foam padding hold up to a hard collision from a highside as compared to plastic/carbon armor?

There's a school of thought (Scroll down) that says hard plastic/carbon armor can shatter and shred your hands.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Zenaida posted:

There's a school of thought (Scroll down) that says hard plastic/carbon armor can shatter and shred your hands.

Getting shredded aside, I'd rather have my armor shatter than have the pictured gloves cause my knuckles to shatter.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Getting shredded aside, I'd rather have my armor shatter than have the pictured gloves cause my knuckles to shatter.

Yeah, that site just seems like it's trying to justify its own, fairly simple gloves. When wondering if a product is safe or not, ask yourself: is this somethiing that's likely to be used in MotoGP/SBK/etc.? If it is, there's a pretty strong indicator that it's a good idea. They don't take safety lightly in that arena.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

I'm looking for a new helmet and I'm not sure what to look at. I currently have a plain Shoei RF-1000 but I'm looking to go with something with graphics. It's been 2.5 years of not being flashy I think I deserve it.

What are some good brands?

Scorpion and AGV are the only other good brands I can think off and I'm really not to sure about scorpions. The Shoei graphics on the RF-1000 aren't really appealing but I love the helmet to death and my current one is almost dead.

Arai, Shoei, Suomy, AGV, as well as a few offbeats spring to mind (OGK, Nolan, Schubert, Caberg). A lot of helmet availability is regional, though.

Scorpion is a good entry level brand, but I've found that their liners tend to break down at around 6 months to a year, whereas my arai was still fine after a year of constant use.

MOST IMPORTANT: Quality brand or not, they will all protect your head. The real difference is in fit and finish. Find an Arai, Suomy, AGV, or Shoei vender booth and get your head measured and figure out what helmet and combination of cheekpads/liners will fit you the best. Those guys are the experts and will get you a helmet that you'll be happy wearing all day long. Most of the people who don't like their helmets are wearing ones that are the wrong shape and size for them.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I'm not sure if I buy the whole "Hard plastic/carbon can shatter" biz that Zenaida linked. I've seen plenty of crashes at high speed with people jamming their knuckles into the ground with CF/plastic knuckles into the ground, and have never seen a set shatter in such a way as to injure the rider. The big thing for me with it is: If you put on a normal set of gloves and go punch the asphalt, it hurts. You will feel it. You put on a set of these gloves and punch the ground and you can feel the impact foam deform and absorb the blow. You'll still feel the force in your wrists, but it's like punching a mat of foam. My helimot suit is filled in the stuff, and I have never been more confident while riding as a result of my personal tests of the stuff. I can kneedrop into asphalt from a standing position in the helimot stuff and while my hip feels the shock, my knee doesn't feel the hit at all. Do that in my joe rocket suit and I'd have a massive bruise.

Now, is this CE approved? No. Is it independently verified and researched? No, unless you count the horde of racers crashing and raving about the quality of his gear. It's not a given that it's better in all situations than CE approved gear...but I would take it in a heartbeat over most CE approved hard plastics. It's a little bigger, significantly more bulky (my suit is HEAVY), it doesn't make you look trim and svelte in your suit (I develop a hilarious hourglass figure), but I've never felt safer or more comfortable. It's years above my joe rocket speed master suit, which was their top of the line one when I got mine. I've had friends crash in helimot suits at 130mph (falling off the back of a sidecar at the end of the front straight) and get up and use the same suit for the rest of the weekend. The gloves were eaten through on the back to the foam padding, but didn't make it through to the inner layer.

You can debate the quality of impact tests, number of joules transmitted though in a controled impact, but I know what happens when you crash, I've done it a few times, and the helimot gear inspires the most trust and faith in me, both from what I've seen from friends and what I've felt personally. Just my 2c after doing a lot of personal research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'm not sure if I buy the whole "Hard plastic/carbon can shatter" biz that Zenaida linked. I've seen plenty of crashes at high speed with people jamming their knuckles into the ground with CF/plastic knuckles into the ground, and have never seen a set shatter in such a way as to injure the rider. The big thing for me with it is: If you put on a normal set of gloves and go punch the asphalt, it hurts. You will feel it. You put on a set of these gloves and punch the ground and you can feel the impact foam deform and absorb the blow. You'll still feel the force in your wrists, but it's like punching a mat of foam. My helimot suit is filled in the stuff, and I have never been more confident while riding as a result of my personal tests of the stuff. I can kneedrop into asphalt from a standing position in the helimot stuff and while my hip feels the shock, my knee doesn't feel the hit at all. Do that in my joe rocket suit and I'd have a massive bruise.

Now, is this CE approved? No. Is it independently verified and researched? No, unless you count the horde of racers crashing and raving about the quality of his gear. It's not a given that it's better in all situations than CE approved gear...but I would take it in a heartbeat over most CE approved hard plastics. It's a little bigger, significantly more bulky (my suit is HEAVY), it doesn't make you look trim and svelte in your suit (I develop a hilarious hourglass figure), but I've never felt safer or more comfortable. It's years above my joe rocket speed master suit, which was their top of the line one when I got mine. I've had friends crash in helimot suits at 130mph (falling off the back of a sidecar at the end of the front straight) and get up and use the same suit for the rest of the weekend. The gloves were eaten through on the back to the foam padding, but didn't make it through to the inner layer.

You can debate the quality of impact tests, number of joules transmitted though in a controled impact, but I know what happens when you crash, I've done it a few times, and the helimot gear inspires the most trust and faith in me, both from what I've seen from friends and what I've felt personally. Just my 2c after doing a lot of personal research.

Wow, thanks a lot for the writeup.