Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

I suspect the answer will depend heavily on what kind of features you need- what kind of features do you need? Also, what kind of interfaces are you terminating?

Girdle Wax posted:

Like jwh said, do you need full table BGP or anything like that? If so your step up from the 7206 is probably going to be to a 7600/GSR 12k/ASR1k.

If you only need a bunch of GbE ports, and not a whole lot of prefixes (ie not full table BGP) you can look at stuff like the 3550/3560/3750/4500.

Actually that does kinda cramp things, as we use BGP for our /20

Primarily we have 2-3 GbE peers on two 7206VXRs on our border, plus two more 7206VXRs on the inside with five DS3's for T1 and DSL customers and then ~10 racks of colo space.

The 7206's are huge and old, and falling apart, plus we're looking at moving colos, so getting a new border switch/router is looking very attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
Routemaps and source routing.

I have finaly gotten some images that does source routing for my
oldish 3750 and newer 4503 switches.

I have been searching around for about docs on source routing but there
aren't really alot of information about it out there.

My question is, will it forward in hardware or software on my devices?

They will be routing about 800-900mbit so software isn't really desired.

conntrack fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 15, 2008

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=source+routing&btnG=Google+Search

Run this by me again, what are you trying to accomplish?

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
I suck at the posting today . Policy routing with route maps was what i was getting at.

I have four subnets and would like to try out some policy routing things.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Is anyone doing rogue wireless detection with the lightweight equipment? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.
I learned a cool command from another Cisco guy - debug icmp trace. (Well it was cool to me)

I found the L3 3750 doesn't have it, or from what I can tell, an equivelant. Is there? Is it just an ASA command? Does it work on routers?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
debug ip icmp ?

I'm not familiar with what the trace command does.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
I have a stupid yet infuriating problem, the business that I'm at uses ftp for some scan program they have and way back in June apparantly it stopped working. Now they need to use it again. It uses passive ftp, connects and then only sends 4.140KB worth of data exactly before timing out. Active ftp works just fine. They have a Cisco PIX 506E and if I bypass it and plug directly into the modem passive ftp works just fine.

I ran wireshark and found that it connects just fine, the client starts sending data to the server 1.380KB at a time. It sends 6 packets before it craps out, the first two packets have unique sequence numbers and the last 4 are the same. I'm assuming it's missing an ACK or something even though I'm getting other ACKs from the server and is trying to resend the data?

Here is the conf file with the sensitive bits changed:
PIX Version 6.1(4)
nameif ethernet0 outside security0
nameif ethernet1 inside security100
enable password hMDD1bC3TScc9BU. encrypted
passwd 2KFQnbNIdI.2KYOU encrypted
hostname stupidpix
domain-name stupidpix.com
fixup protocol ftp 21
fixup protocol http 80
fixup protocol h323 1720
fixup protocol rsh 514
fixup protocol rtsp 554
fixup protocol smtp 25
fixup protocol sqlnet 1521
fixup protocol sip 5060
fixup protocol skinny 2000
names
access-list outin permit icmp any any
pager lines 24
interface ethernet0 10full
interface ethernet1 10full
mtu outside 1500
mtu inside 1500
ip address outside dhcp setroute
ip address inside 10.1.2.254 255.255.255.0
ip audit info action alarm
ip audit attack action alarm
pdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
access-group outin in interface outside
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 rpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 si
p 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
aaa-server TACACS+ protocol tacacs+
aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius
no snmp-server location
no snmp-server contact
snmp-server community public
no snmp-server enable traps
floodguard enable
no sysopt route dnat
telnet timeout 5
ssh timeout 5
dhcpd lease 3600
dhcpd ping_timeout 750
dhcpd auto_config outside
terminal width 80
Cryptochecksum:f5721e9494b342883ab991d28db906da

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
We need to see the access-list portions.

Says to apply access-list "outin" to the inbound direction of the OUTSIDE interface, but the only outin acl I see is: access-list outin permit icmp any any . Have you removed most of it?

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.

routenull0 posted:

We need to see the access-list portions.

Says to apply access-list "outin" to the inbound direction of the OUTSIDE interface, but the only outin acl I see is: access-list outin permit icmp any any . Have you removed most of it?

That's actually the complete sh conf, I thought there'd be more sensitive stuff in there but I ended up only changing the hostname. I apologize, I'm unfamiliar with PIX devices, is there another command I should use?

Also, on further inspection it seems as though the server is sending acks after it gets the first two packets of data, but wireshark shows that there's a tcp checksum error. It actually shows this if I'm behind the Cisco or not. Is it possible the cisco is blocking it based on that? If so, I know this is a seperate problem that needs resolved but is it possible to let that stuff through for the time being?

EDIT - Went on the server and disabled checksum offloading on the network card and the tcp checksum errors went away. Still same problems though.

Recluse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 17, 2008

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Recluse posted:

That's actually the complete sh conf, I thought there'd be more sensitive stuff in there but I ended up only changing the hostname. I apologize, I'm unfamiliar with PIX devices, is there another command I should use?

Also, on further inspection it seems as though the server is sending acks after it gets the first two packets of data, but wireshark shows that there's a tcp checksum error. It actually shows this if I'm behind the Cisco or not. Is it possible the cisco is blocking it based on that? If so, I know this is a seperate problem that needs resolved but is it possible to let that stuff through for the time being?

EDIT - Went on the server and disabled checksum offloading on the network card and the tcp checksum errors went away. Still same problems though.

You have other working services behind this firewall? I assume web surfing is working since you are posting? Any hosted devices like webservers etc?

You can try a "show access-list", but I assume you won't get much back if that was the complete "sh conf".

The config is basically only allowing ICMP inbound, denying all other inbound traffic unless the session was created from the inside.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.

routenull0 posted:

You have other working services behind this firewall? I assume web surfing is working since you are posting? Any hosted devices like webservers etc?

You can try a "show access-list", but I assume you won't get much back if that was the complete "sh conf".

The config is basically only allowing ICMP inbound, denying all other inbound traffic unless the session was created from the inside.

Yeah show access-list brought the same thing. Shouldn't passive work since the client initiates both connections? I tried permit tcp any any but that didn't work either.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Recluse posted:

Yeah show access-list brought the same thing. Shouldn't passive work since the client initiates both connections? I tried permit tcp any any but that didn't work either.

Yeah the config would allow it blindly. Do you seen in wireshark the PASV exchange to a higher dynamic port?

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.

routenull0 posted:

Yeah the config would allow it blindly. Do you seen in wireshark the PASV exchange to a higher dynamic port?

Yeah, it started addressing it on n+2. Weirdly enough, messing around with it but not changing anything it actually went a little further and acked once for a total of 8 unique sequency # packets. I'm wondering if this isn't just a flaky pix?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Recluse posted:

If you're sniffing from the box using checksum offloading, you'll always see this, since wireshark captures the data from inside the network stack but the checksum isn't calculated until the packet leaves the physical interface.

You probably know this, but just in case, don't go permanently disabling tcp checksum offloading on your server(s) because of this.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.

Ninja Rope posted:

If you're sniffing from the box using checksum offloading, you'll always see this, since wireshark captures the data from inside the network stack but the checksum isn't calculated until the packet leaves the physical interface.

You probably know this, but just in case, don't go permanently disabling tcp checksum offloading on your server(s) because of this.

Thank you for this, I had re-enabled it but I'm glad to know why it was doing that. Also, thank you for your help as well routenull0. I've got another pix same model I'll try copying the config to and seeing what happens. After that one fluke though, it always crapped out after the first 3 data packets. Weird stuff.

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.
I learned recently that some organizations are moving towards a security setup involving a Mars box, IPS module for the ASA, and the Cisco Security Agent.

Can anyone chime in on how good this setup is for security? Is it all Cisco marketing or the future golden age of security? Thanks

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.
One more question. What is everyone using to backup router/switch configs? We have so many at this point, that manually copying them to a tftp server is an administrative nightmare.

I did some checking and found Kiwi Cat tools will do the job, but I'm not sure if management would make the purchase. Is this a good product? Are there any others? Thanks

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

One more question. What is everyone using to backup router/switch configs? We have so many at this point, that manually copying them to a tftp server is an administrative nightmare.

I did some checking and found Kiwi Cat tools will do the job, but I'm not sure if management would make the purchase. Is this a good product? Are there any others? Thanks

We used: http://shrubbery.net/rancid/ in conjunction with custom scripts that would log in to all the devices and dump the config for us.

With rancid, you can "rebuild" a config from the diffs and non-diff scans.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

We use SolarWinds Cirrus, which works pretty well. It's slow to back up 400+ devices (apparently there's no parallelism to the get process), but it works. Plus the reports are pretty to look at.

RANCID is probably the way to go if you have time to set it up correctly.

quote:

I learned recently that some organizations are moving towards a security setup involving a Mars box, IPS module for the ASA, and the Cisco Security Agent.

Can anyone chime in on how good this setup is for security? Is it all Cisco marketing or the future golden age of security? Thanks
The problem with a MARS installation is that you need someone to feed it and brush its hair. MARS is also fantastically expensive. MARS + ASA IPS modules + CSA doesn't strike me as particularly magical. Supposedly Q1 makes a good substitute for MARS, but I've never really spent much time with it.

CrazyDutchie
Aug 5, 2005
We are using Ciscoworks. Not only backs up configs, but does a whole lot of other things also. May be a bit pricey, but its worth it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

routenull0 posted:

We used: http://shrubbery.net/rancid/ in conjunction with custom scripts that would log in to all the devices and dump the config for us.

Seconding Rancid. We use it, and it's great to just have a CVS store of your files. We also have it setup to email everyone changes. Just make sure you have all of your passwords written down somewhere secure.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

I've seen this setup implemented - mostly in financial settings. Personally speaking I think it is a bit overkill, since MARS does the job of the IDS in the ASA anyway.

The latest version of CSA apparently has horrible problems with heuristic pattern matching (ex: XXX-XX-XXXX aka SSN's). Lots of false positives.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm a big fan of Kiwi (Cat Tools and Syslog). Its what - $395? Yes you can script stuff out yourself but why bother, that's not much to mess with for the ease and config comparisons you get emailed to you.

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.
Thanks for the info. I learned that we have Ciscoworks already. It just hasn't been configured properly.

I spent probably 2 hours googling and going through the menus yesterday in an attempt to schedule a backup of configs. I have to say that the Ciscoworks GUI is one of the most horrible things I've had to manuver through. Have the time it opens up a new window everytime you click on something, and then has to load java on top of that. The horror....The horror.

I also downloaded an eval copy of Kiwi Cat Tools. Much better, but I had difficulties properly formatting the CSV file to import one campus' list of switches. Once done, it did execute properly and get all the configs.

Midnj
Jul 27, 2002
JUST GET A FREAKIN MAC DURRRRRR
Have you tried Cisco Configuration Professional?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9422/index.html

It's a free tool to smartnet owners and can be used to back up configs (not on schedules though as far as I know). I haven't used it yet but it looks like it could be useful for a UC500 when it will support it. I'd rather configure CME with a GUI, the CLI involves much typing.

kinghado
Mar 22, 2006
Its all good, radgie.

Recluse posted:

I have a stupid yet infuriating problem, the business that I'm at uses ftp for some scan program they have and way back in June apparantly it stopped working. Now they need to use it again. It uses passive ftp, connects and then only sends 4.140KB worth of data exactly before timing out. Active ftp works just fine. They have a Cisco PIX 506E and if I bypass it and plug directly into the modem passive ftp works just fine.

I ran wireshark and found that it connects just fine, the client starts sending data to the server 1.380KB at a time. It sends 6 packets before it craps out, the first two packets have unique sequence numbers and the last 4 are the same. I'm assuming it's missing an ACK or something even though I'm getting other ACKs from the server and is trying to resend the data?

Here is the conf file with the sensitive bits changed:
PIX Version 6.1(4)
nameif ethernet0 outside security0
nameif ethernet1 inside security100
enable password hMDD1bC3TScc9BU. encrypted
passwd 2KFQnbNIdI.2KYOU encrypted
hostname stupidpix
domain-name stupidpix.com
fixup protocol ftp 21
fixup protocol http 80
fixup protocol h323 1720
fixup protocol rsh 514
fixup protocol rtsp 554
fixup protocol smtp 25
fixup protocol sqlnet 1521
fixup protocol sip 5060
fixup protocol skinny 2000
names
access-list outin permit icmp any any
pager lines 24
interface ethernet0 10full
interface ethernet1 10full
mtu outside 1500
mtu inside 1500
ip address outside dhcp setroute
ip address inside 10.1.2.254 255.255.255.0
ip audit info action alarm
ip audit attack action alarm
pdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 rpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 si
p 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
aaa-server TACACS+ protocol tacacs+
aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius
no snmp-server location
no snmp-server contact
snmp-server community public
no snmp-server enable traps
floodguard enable
no sysopt route dnat
telnet timeout 5
ssh timeout 5
dhcpd lease 3600
dhcpd ping_timeout 750
dhcpd auto_config outside
terminal width 80
Cryptochecksum:f5721e9494b342883ab991d28db906da

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I've had issues with fixup and a smtp server that did not comply to standards. If i remeber correctly the fixup command implements a kind of deep inspection of the traffic and also opens up any ports required inbound by the protocol.

I would suggest trying, as a test, the command "no fixup ftp 21" and configuring the ACLs to allow traffic from an external client to the ftp server inbound and from the server to client outbound, and see if this sorts out the problem. It would be less secure though.

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.
Thanks so much for the help - I'm learning quite a bit.

i have an access list now. On a layer 3 3750, if I wanted to deny one host to a server, how do I do this? I tried the following:

code:
3750-MDF(config)#do sh access-l
Extended IP access list 102
    10 deny ip host 10.100.2.16 host 10.100.100.68
3750-MDF(config)#
But it didn't work. What have I missed?

CrazyDutchie
Aug 5, 2005
You need to add a permit any any rule below the current one (implicit deny!)and apply it to an interface.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
I have two 6509s running HSRP. I recently put a static NAT entry on each of them (for the same address). Now I'm getting duplicate IP errors. After some research, this appears to be caused by NAT not being HSRP-aware. Each address is being bound to the physical MACs and not the HSRP MAC.

The solution appears to be this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t4/feature/guide/ftnthsrp.html
...BUT of course it's not supported by the 6500 series. Are there any other tricks I can use to make this work? I'd like to avoid putting routers in front of these switches just to handle NAT.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
After some research, I think I can just make static ARP aliases on each switch so they'll respond to the NAT addresses with the HSRP MAC. ARP requests will each get two replies, one from each switch, but that shouldn't hurt anything since the MACs are identical (the HSRP virtual MAC). I'll lose NAT state but that's better that buying a pair of routers.

ObamaisaTerrist
Jul 26, 2008

The truth is out there.

CrazyDutchie posted:

You need to add a permit any any rule below the current one (implicit deny!)and apply it to an interface.

Thanks. So any time you create an access-list with an implicit deny, you have to also add a line to permit any any? It doesn't assume you only want to deny one ip?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

Thanks. So any time you create an access-list with an implicit deny, you have to also add a line to permit any any? It doesn't assume you only want to deny one ip?

Always remember that at the end of an ACL there is a "deny ip any any", so if you want to deny one IP but allow all other traffic, you need to do the deny, then "permit ip any any". ACLs are processed top down, line by line until a match is made.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Recently, I picked up three 2500-series routers formerly owned by the local school board, and so far I've recovered the passwords thanks to Google. However, I can't access any Cisco support stuff like IOS upgrades (the one I'm lookin at now is copyright 1997) since I obviously don't have an order number or service contract. Is there a way I can still get upgrades or am I stuck with trying to buy stuff from them directly before I can get anything?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Luigi Thirty posted:

Recently, I picked up three 2500-series routers formerly owned by the local school board, and so far I've recovered the passwords thanks to Google. However, I can't access any Cisco support stuff like IOS upgrades (the one I'm lookin at now is copyright 1997) since I obviously don't have an order number or service contract. Is there a way I can still get upgrades or am I stuck with trying to buy stuff from them directly before I can get anything?

Without an active service contract attached to your CCO, you cannot download latest releases. Even if you could, not much is going to run on the older 2500 series routers. Your best if you are studying would be look at picking up some sort of 2620 off ebay to work with.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ObamaisaTerrist posted:

Once an access list is in place it assumes "most secure." (Though this is not an excuse, it probably helps to add implicits always regardless of firewall mode so that you remember in the future. ipfw2 for FreeBSD has both modes, so I would add it at the bottom to help myself remember how I had it setup.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

Even with full CCO and support access you cannot get any IOS for the 2500 series routers. I would suggest looking for an old version depository for old IOS code. I believe the latest that will run on a 2500 series is a 12.2 release, which is nice because 12.0 finally has all the usability features that you take for granted these days.

The file name will be in a format like "c2500-x"

Good luck finding it though.

e:Hmm. Actually now that I check. It seems that engineering access has a backlog of EOL software. Tell me what kind of 2500s you have and I can get you the software if you'd like.

Oh and apparently the latest version is "c2500-is-l.123-26.bin"

So look for that.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 22, 2008

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Powercrazy posted:

e:Hmm. Actually now that I check. It seems that engineering access has a backlog of EOL software. Tell me what kind of 2500s you have and I can get you the software if you'd like.

Oh and apparently the latest version is "c2500-is-l.123-26.bin"

So look for that.

Thanks. I've got two 2524s and a 2501. I only paid $15 for the set so it's not like it's a big loss.

DarkCow
Apr 26, 2007
Moo.
I'm using a Cisco 837 for ADSL on my home network. I have several IP addresses assigned to me by my ISP, but when I try a DNS lookup on my domain (which should point to one of the external IPs), for some reason I get the corresponding internal IP instead.

From inside my network:
code:
$ host mydomain.net
mydomain.net has address 192.168.0.10
From someone else's network:
code:
$ host mydomain.net
mydomain.net has address 123.123.123.145
Version info: IOS (tm) C837 Software (C837-K9O3Y6-M), Version 12.2(13)ZH2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Here's are the parts of my config that I think may be at all relevant:
code:
aaa new-model
aaa session-id common
no ip bootp server
ip multicast-routing
ip audit notify log
!
interface Ethernet0
 description Internal LAN
 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
 ip access-group 1 in
 ip access-group 1 out
 ip nat inside
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
 ip igmp helper-address udl Dialer0
 ip igmp proxy-service
 no ip mroute-cache
 no cdp enable
 hold-queue 100 out
!
!
interface Dialer0
 ip address 123.123.123.150 255.255.255.248
 ip access-group 121 in
 ip access-group 122 out
 ip mtu 1492
 ip nat outside
 encapsulation ppp
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
 ip igmp unidirectional-link
 dialer pool 1
 dialer-group 1
 no cdp enable
 ppp authentication chap callin
 ppp chap hostname blah
 ppp chap password 7 blah
 ppp ipcp dns request
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer0 overload
ip nat inside source static 192.168.0.50 123.123.123.149
ip nat inside source static 192.168.0.10 123.123.123.145
ip nat inside source static 192.168.0.11 123.123.123.146
ip nat inside source static 192.168.0.12 123.123.123.147
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
access-list 1 permit any
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
no cdp run
What's going on, and how do I stop it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

DarkCow posted:

I'm using a Cisco 837 for ADSL on my home network. I have several IP addresses assigned to me by my ISP, but when I try a DNS lookup on my domain (which should point to one of the external IPs), for some reason I get the corresponding internal IP instead.

From inside my network:
code:
$ host mydomain.net
mydomain.net has address 192.168.0.10

What DNS servers is the box you are looking up from using? Do you have a host entry in /etc/hosts (if *nix)?