Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Ferrous Wheel posted:

How does it all sound though?

To me it sounds very good. I used to use a Metal Muff distortion box, and man that thing threw a ton of hiss on the line. None of that.

I would suggest you play with one yourself and make your own judgement. Personal tastes and all that.

Also keep in mind I'm playing through a new (tube) amp at the same time, and I'm not about to do some controlled experiments where I go back to the raven RG20 + M13 and compare to the Kustom + M13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thieretical
Jul 18, 2007

IanTheM posted:

I've heard of quite a few instances where someone find a really good playing guitar from a supposedly budget source. How different does the tone get when you have the hollowbody?

I didn't carefully consider the tonal differences between this and the other Squier VM Teles. I don't think it effects the amplified signal that much, but I don't know much about how hollowish bodies affect the tone. Then again, at this budget level, minor differences in tone shouldn't matter too much. It's just nice to have a fairly resonant body, it feels better, and you can mess around without it sounding lovely acoustically. Overall it sounds fantastic. A budget guitar line can easily produce a nice guitar like this if they want to, and it seems Squier is coming around. Plenty of Tele buffs say that these VMS and the Classic Vibes beat out the Standard line and are right up there with American Standards in quality. Only time will tell, I guess. Maybe these fall apart in 2 years while the American Standards stay together forever.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

LongSack posted:

I've only had it one day, but here goes...

Thanks for the info :)

I'll probably hunt down a store to try it out at but it is something I'll probably end up grabbing.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Thieretical posted:

I didn't carefully consider the tonal differences between this and the other Squier VM Teles. I don't think it effects the amplified signal that much, but I don't know much about how hollowish bodies affect the tone. Then again, at this budget level, minor differences in tone shouldn't matter too much. It's just nice to have a fairly resonant body, it feels better, and you can mess around without it sounding lovely acoustically. Overall it sounds fantastic. A budget guitar line can easily produce a nice guitar like this if they want to, and it seems Squier is coming around. Plenty of Tele buffs say that these VMS and the Classic Vibes beat out the Standard line and are right up there with American Standards in quality. Only time will tell, I guess. Maybe these fall apart in 2 years while the American Standards stay together forever.

What does tend to happen is that when opening up a new brand/line the quality tends to be superb, and once it's made its name they go to poo poo completely. Gibson's pretty famous for this.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's so little. It's so loud!

Unfortunately this may not be the one I end up keeping, as I was bidding on one on eBay, got outbid, then went to guitar center and picked this one up (at a steal,) only to have the dude that outbid me retract his bid. I might have to return this one to GC and take the eBay one, which will save me about $120, but won't be all new and delicious.

This is a seriously righteous amp. All I need is the 112 extension cab for it and I think between that and my Aguilar DB750/AGRO/GS412 rig I'm pretty much set.

Thieretical
Jul 18, 2007

IanTheM posted:

What does tend to happen is that when opening up a new brand/line the quality tends to be superb, and once it's made its name they go to poo poo completely. Gibson's pretty famous for this.

I'll buy that. Welp, better get the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibes soon for those who are interested.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

warwick5s posted:

It's so little. It's so loud!

Very nice. These amps are wonderful, and so god drat loud for their size! Plus you can grab it with one hand and your bass with the other!

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Thieretical posted:

Anyway, I may someday replace the pickups and I will definitely try to remove the neck pickup cover because I hate the muffled tone, but I'm absolutely loving this purchase.

The pickup cover doesn't affect tone in any meaningful way unless it's so cheap that it's made out of something that is actually interfering with the magnetic field. It's more likely that the pickups are just crap. Something has to give with cheap guitars.

Also, the 7.25" fretboard radius is what the original telecasters came with, if I recall. Either that or 7.5". Either way it's just more of a vintage radius.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

ZombiePeanut posted:

The pickup cover doesn't affect tone in any meaningful way unless it's so cheap that it's made out of something that is actually interfering with the magnetic field. It's more likely that the pickups are just crap. Something has to give with cheap guitars.

Metal pickup covers create capacitance, and thus take some "bite" out of the tone.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

juicy_J posted:

Metal pickup covers create capacitance, and thus take some "bite" out of the tone.

Depends on what it's made out of and whether or not it's grounded.

Either way, taking the cover off of a cheap squier pickup isn't going to make it sound any better.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

ZombiePeanut posted:

Either way, taking the cover off of a cheap squier pickup isn't going to make it sound any better.

The covers are usually soldered on, so they are grounded.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Nice find! I hope you eventually get the JX8P, too.

As someone who owns both the Eminent Unique 310 and the Solina String Ensemble - don't bother. Get Reaktor and the Solina/310 ensembles. Sounds better than the sample library, too.

That's great! I don't think I'll get a stringer for this reason and also because I'm beginning to have space problems.

I made three (or two and a half) other purchases but this time I'll try to get real photos.

Thieretical
Jul 18, 2007

ZombiePeanut posted:

The chrome covers on Teles are known to muffle the tone, this I know. Both pickups sound great, actually, it's just that I'd rather not have the typical Tele neck tone. What I have read suggests that removing the pickup cover helps, although depending on the model it could be a pain in the rear end. I have yet to find out how this one was put together.

Also, this neck tone issue has been the same with every Tele I've played, regardless of whether they are 'crap' (China) or 'good' (Amurka).

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

I got the Roland JX8P and the Yamaha DX7 yesterday. I wasn't expecting the first one so I had to clear up some space in my room.

My first impressions are that the JX8P sounds more lush and cliche than the JX3P which is a bit more harsh. I think this is mainly because of the chorus effect which adds a lot of dimension to the sound, and it's on almost all the presets sounds. It also has more parameters than the older one. I still haven't decided which one I like the best though. The JX8P sounds like big 80s sounds, while the JX3P has a more robotic sound and has a good strings.

The DX7. I'm just beginning to understand why this keyboard was a hit. Right now it seems like it can offer endless possibilities, but always with that typically FM sound. It's much harder to figure out than standard synthesis, and the lovely interface for programming doesn't help at all. I still don't get some of the parameters, but I'll be patient because it's very apparent that it's got a lot to offer.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

SteelWav posted:

The DX7. I'm just beginning to understand why this keyboard was a hit. Right now it seems like it can offer endless possibilities, but always with that typically FM sound. It's much harder to figure out than standard synthesis, and the lovely interface for programming doesn't help at all. I still don't get some of the parameters, but I'll be patient because it's very apparent that it's got a lot to offer.

Try and grab a software programmer from somewhere, either DX manager for Windows or DX Librarian for the Mac.

The membrane buttons on the DX7 aren't the most durable things in the world and the less you use the, the better. I've seen quite a few that have had holes worn in the buttons.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

It's all coming together...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Are those piezo wires I see? Niiice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

whoa whoa whoa

q-tuners AND piezos?

what kind of neck is going on it?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

the wizards beard posted:

Are those piezo wires I see? Niiice.

;)

warwick5s posted:

whoa whoa whoa

q-tuners AND piezos?

what kind of neck is going on it?

Hopefully it'll be hollow aluminum... but I've been having some trouble getting a hold of the guy who made the neck for that all aluminum Strat. I got in touch with the man who created and owns that Strat, but even he says he hasn't heard from the neck builder in a few months. :(

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Is there a neck pickup going in there, cos a sustainer would really round things out nicely. I mean you've already got a battery, you might as well go the whole way.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Cynicide posted:

Try and grab a software programmer from somewhere, either DX manager for Windows or DX Librarian for the Mac.

The membrane buttons on the DX7 aren't the most durable things in the world and the less you use the, the better. I've seen quite a few that have had holes worn in the buttons.

I can't get DX Manager to work. I follow the detection procedure but it doesn't detect my DX7. I can send SysEx files using MidiOX so I don't think the cabling is the problem. Any ideas?

The prospect of not using the buttons to program the sounds is too tempting. However, I still managed to program a cool bass sound yesterday. I had already read the manual, but this has helped me a lot. I already knew about the principles of FM from my digital and analog signal processing courses, but it was getting my head around what makes a sound what it is that's harder. Good planning and luck seems to help a lot too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I just ordered a fuckton of stuff:

Orange 2x12 cab

Set of Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller bridge and Cold Sweat neck)

Two 24" Samsung TFTs for super awesome dual screen DAW action

M-Audio Axoim 61

Motu 828 MkII

Still to be ordered: Rode NT2a, Shure SM57 and a new set of headphones but they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I'll post some pictures of my whole setup with my amp and guitar and everything when this all gets here. Finally starting to get some nice poo poo!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm not a pedal guy but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer.

quote:

Octavius Squeezer includes a dedicated filter circuit bred in our Agent 00Funk and Agent 00Funk Mark II envelope filters. It also includes the fuzz circuit from our Brown Dog gated bass fuzz. A digital pitch tracking stage tracks the notes you play right down to the bottom of your instrument's range and drives an analog synthesizer which can produce various waveforms at either the same pitch as your input, one octave down, one octave up or two octaves up. All of this can be patched, mixed and configured in a variety of ways to give an enormous array of available effects.

Use the effect control to switch between the 50 user-editable presets that can be stored in the Octavius Squeezer's onboard memory. Adjust any of the presets on-the-fly with a twist of the param knob. See the current effect and parameter settings clearly displayed on Octavius Squeezer's backlit LCD. Use the two user-assignable footswitches to bypass, tap tempo and switch effects on the fly. Save and load additional presets to SD card (like the one in your digital camera) using the onboard card reader, and use it to upgrade Octavius's firmware as new versions become available.

$650 though :smith:

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Stux posted:

Motu 828 MkII

I've got the mk3 version of this and it's one of the best thing I've bought so far. I use it for my home setup and also for my live keyboard setup.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

SteelWav posted:

I've got the mk3 version of this and it's one of the best thing I've bought so far. I use it for my home setup and also for my live keyboard setup.

Yeah we have a 896 at college which really helped my decision to get this. It should last me for a good long while as well.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

the wizards beard posted:

Is there a neck pickup going in there, cos a sustainer would really round things out nicely. I mean you've already got a battery, you might as well go the whole way.

Nah, I just want the bridge pickup. Sondz kooler.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Most recent gear purchase, ahoy!!

That's a Digi Design Mbox 2 Pro, and it comes with ProTools LE and lots of goodies. Now I'll finally be able to record my bass into my computer! :c00lbert:

If I ever record anything worthwhile, I'll let you goons hear it.

Posting in this thread is certainly a victory, as every gear purchase is oh-so-sweet.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Zilart posted:

Posting in this thread is certainly a victory, as every gear purchase is oh-so-sweet.

As someone who doesn't have much money to spend on gear, I can attest to this.

So I just bought a Pod XT on ebay for the same price of a Pocket Pod. It's only a couple months old, barely used. Happy with that deal.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Stux posted:

M-Audio Axoim 61

If you're already splurging so much money, I'd recommend sending this back for a nicer feeling keyboard. The keys tend to stick when they haven't been played in a while, much to the ire of pianists.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

IanTheM posted:

If you're already splurging so much money, I'd recommend sending this back for a nicer feeling keyboard. The keys tend to stick when they haven't been played in a while, much to the ire of pianists.

Actually they were out of stock so the shop is sending me an Edirol PCR-800 to try to see how I get on with it. Don't think I'm going to like it though. They also offered me an Akai MPK49 with a discount, but I kind of want the 61 keys.

Also I'm not a pianist, this is just for soft synths really.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

Handen posted:

It's all coming together...

drat this look great!
Just got my first real dev job out of school, and so I'm finally gonna build my jazzmaster. I refuse to believe in guitar voodoo so I'm most likely going to buy an alder body from Warmoth, stain it (I like em natural), and have my roomate/buddy who knows what he's doing (as he designs and manufactures Mic Pre-amps for a living) help me with the shielding/pickup wiring.
My questions are these : What kind of pickups are those, and where is this piezzo pickup, in the bridge? Sounds good, as I like to punch my guitar.

Also, any recommendations on neck suppliers? Definitely want full scale and again, I don't believe in guitar voodoo, so a modern manufacturer would definitely be in my sights.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

IanTheM posted:

I've got the same keyboard (I bought one right when they came out), and I haven't had the 'sticky keys' problem at all, even after not touching it for months. I'm definitely not a pianist by any measure though, so maybe I simply haven't played it hard enough to start experiencing problems.

EmuOfFury
Oct 7, 2004

I could stare at you forever.

IanTheM posted:

I have that keyboard. Doesn't stick for me.

I really like the feel of it too, although that's probably because most of the stuff I use it for is non-piano so I like semi-weighted.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Finally bought my Boss HR-2 Harmonist. Can't wait to start having fun harmonizing with myself.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

SteelWav posted:

I can't get DX Manager to work. I follow the detection procedure but it doesn't detect my DX7. I can send SysEx files using MidiOX so I don't think the cabling is the problem. Any ideas?

Nothing other than making sure that Memory Protect is turned off.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

glennnyc posted:

drat this look great!
Just got my first real dev job out of school, and so I'm finally gonna build my jazzmaster. I refuse to believe in guitar voodoo so I'm most likely going to buy an alder body from Warmoth, stain it (I like em natural), and have my roomate/buddy who knows what he's doing (as he designs and manufactures Mic Pre-amps for a living) help me with the shielding/pickup wiring.
My questions are these : What kind of pickups are those, and where is this piezzo pickup, in the bridge? Sounds good, as I like to punch my guitar.

Also, any recommendations on neck suppliers? Definitely want full scale and again, I don't believe in guitar voodoo, so a modern manufacturer would definitely be in my sights.

The pickups are called Q-Tuners, the piezo crystals are in each saddle of the bridge (as far as I know) and the leads from the bridge connect to the Graphtech Hexpander or Acoustiphonic preamps.... which I just ordered less than five minutes ago. Both of them, with all of the extras. :)

+

:)

Next up, after I pay off my credit card bill, is the aluminum neck. Since Stratocaster and Jazzmaster necks are interchangeable, I'd check out Reliablefender on eBay for whatever strikes your fancy. He's pretty much bad-rear end, that's who I got the rare as gently caress mint condition OCR Jag HH body you see posted up the page, plus I've got a few other little things from him in the past - very recommended.

Edit: In fact he has a Jazzmaster neck right now.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 19, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Excuse the terrible quality:

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Stux posted:

hominahominahominahomina

ENGLs are awesome amps. I was thinking hard about getting a Powerball, but I think I'm going to go with a Randall V2 instead, just because I'm such a fan of the Randall sound. Still, if it weren't Randall, I'd get an ENGL right now. And if I had a whole lot of spending cash, it'd be a tough choice between a VHT Sig-X and an ENGL Invader.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Agreed posted:

hominahominahominahomina

ENGLs are awesome amps. I was thinking hard about getting a Powerball, but I think I'm going to go with a Randall V2 instead, just because I'm such a fan of the Randall sound. Still, if it weren't Randall, I'd get an ENGL right now. And if I had a whole lot of spending cash, it'd be a tough choice between a VHT Sig-X and an ENGL Invader.

Yeah I orginally wanted an Invader, but no way could I afford that. I managed to pick this up for £850 when it usually goes for £1200 so it was a nice deal. The Orange cab is brand new though.

There are too many amps I want right now though, Invader, Dizel Herbert/VH4, Mesa Dual Rec, the list goes on. I also really want to try out one of those VHTs you mentioned, I've heard nothing but brilliant things about them so far.

Now I'm just waiting on my new pickups and my basic rig is sorted. Next comes the rack :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.

Stux posted:

Just a thought, but are you sure you want to have that right next to your computer? Speakers can generate some hefty EM. Nice rig though.