Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

CornHolio posted:

sometimes I wonder if I should say 'gently caress it' to owning an awesome car and get some boring-rear end Honda or something. :(

That's what I'm going through. I'm really tired of having my daily driver require more time and money than my project car. It recently developed a wonderful knock from the front right (passenger) suspension and I'm sick of dumping money into a 10 year old, 152k mile commuter car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

CornHolio posted:

We carry a few different SPAL fans where I work, so I could probably get one of those for cheap (maybe I can hook you up). But can you use redline water wetter with BMW antifreeze? Or does it have to be water only?

You can use water wetter with any antifreeze. People at drag strips run it with just water, since if you blow a radiator hose and antifreeze gets all over the track, you're automatically disqualified.

Also, if anyone is looking at buying a new 3-series this year, don't. Wait for the facelifted 09s to come out first. Especially if you want navigation.

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 11, 2008

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

CornHolio posted:

I've always been fond of this one, though it doesn't include the E90.

As I stare at my new desktop, I notice - the E46 has only one foglight :psyduck:

Anyone have any explanation for this?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Adnuo posted:

As I stare at my new desktop, I notice - the E46 has only one foglight :psyduck:

I know its because its the CSL, but as for WHY its there, I dont know. All the CSLs were like that.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Adnuo posted:

Its not a foglamp, its an air inlet.

Look at #8 here.

wikipedia posted:

From the exterior, the CSL is distinguished from its standard sibling with a different wheel design, larger integrated rear spoiler and a large air intake hole on the left side of the front bumper.

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 11, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Lufiron posted:

Also, if anyone is looking at buying a new 3-series this year, don't. Wait for the facelifted 09s to come out first. Especially if you want navigation.
Yeah. We watched the August roundtable today. Holy poo poo, the new CIC is loving awesome. Everyone who ever bitched about iDrive and factory nav will shut their mouths.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Im about to sign up for bmws online payment site. Im about to finish the sign up process and now they are asking me if i want to receive bmw magazines in the mail. I do want the magazine, but not if they are going to charge me and it says nothing about price, im worried they are going to sneak this subscription thing onto my bill.

Has anyone done this?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

yep, thats broken.

Also, I noticed someting rattling around in the back of my car today, so I pull back the trunk lining and find this on the drivers side:

I don't know if its an amp or what, or if its OEM, but its held in with nothing but two tie-wraps. The third one broke. :psyduck:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I don't know if its an amp or what, or if its OEM, but its held in with nothing but two tie-wraps. The third one broke. :psyduck:

Oh yuck. With that wiring job and the twist ties I'm guessing... not OEM.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

CornHolio posted:

yep, thats broken.

Also, I noticed someting rattling around in the back of my car today, so I pull back the trunk lining and find this on the drivers side:

Well, that is the stock location (roughly) for the OEM amplifier. Probably an amp, almost assuredly aftermarket based on the wiring job.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It looks like a factory amp, but I can't tell with that abortion of a wiring job blocking the view of the connectors.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
That's a stock amp. If you need a stock replacement, I've got one for $40 shipped.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

That's a stock amp. If you need a stock replacement, I've got one for $40 shipped.

Well it works (as far as I know, it looks like its wired in) I just need to secure it better.

The previous owner probably had something else in there, then shittily put that in there before he sold it.

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
Am I going to hurt anything by disconnecting the battery for an extended period? Do I need to do anything with the onboard computer? I'm removing the gauge cluster to get at a burned out bulb, and I probably won't finish until tomorrow. E36 328i, aftermarket stereo.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Am I going to hurt anything by disconnecting the battery for an extended period? Do I need to do anything with the onboard computer? I'm removing the gauge cluster to get at a burned out bulb, and I probably won't finish until tomorrow. E36 328i, aftermarket stereo.

No I never even had to enter the radio code. Your settings on the computer will all be reset though.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
My E46 key fob died a week ago. I assumed it was just a dead battery and waited until my 3 hour round-trip this weekend so it could nicely charge. However, it's still dead.

When I got the car the fob didn't work, and the BMW dealership fixed it for free. Their work order cited some shorted wire in the steering wheel cluster, and they fixed it. However, the range has been poo poo (as in, 5-10 feet under normal circumstances) since they fixed it, and I have to wonder if the internal batter just finally gave out.

I know these keys are technically "sealed" and new ones are upwards of $200, but does anyone know of clever ways to open the keys and somehow replace the battery, possibly with a non-rechargeable one?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Adnuo posted:

My E46 key fob died a week ago. I assumed it was just a dead battery and waited until my 3 hour round-trip this weekend so it could nicely charge. However, it's still dead.

When I got the car the fob didn't work, and the BMW dealership fixed it for free. Their work order cited some shorted wire in the steering wheel cluster, and they fixed it. However, the range has been poo poo (as in, 5-10 feet under normal circumstances) since they fixed it, and I have to wonder if the internal batter just finally gave out.

I know these keys are technically "sealed" and new ones are upwards of $200, but does anyone know of clever ways to open the keys and somehow replace the battery, possibly with a non-rechargeable one?

The back of the key comes off. Try a small flat head precision (jewelery) screwdriver. If your key is like my E36 key, you may need to resolder a broken/loose contact point around the metal clip that holds the battery in place. There are 3 contact points (on the E36 anyway) and mine had broken 2 of them and the thrid was about to break. It took me roughly 30 seconds to fix my non-functioning key.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Adnuo posted:

I wouldn't recommend replacing the battery with a non-rechargeable one. The toroidal coil ring around the ignition will try to charge the battery regardless by means of inductance, and could fry out a non-rechargeable battery. Try to find one thats the exact same if you plan on replacing the battery.

EDIT: Also, you might have to re-initialize the key after battery replacement.

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 15, 2008

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jorsh posted:

I did a pull from 3rd gear today and my clutch started slipping around 5500, looks like I have new clutch in my future! Oh boy this will be an adventure.

I replaced my transmission two weeks ago and if I can give you one tip it would be to go buy the longest ratchet extension you can get your hands on. I picked up 3.5 feet worth of extensions and I was able to do the swap in under 5 hours, this was my first transmission swap. Also get the car on jack stands or a lift if possible and make sure you get it high enough to slide the transmission out without hitting the bottom of the car...I learned that the hard way.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I have a request: Can someone please take a picture of the sensors on the thermostat housing on an M20 engine? I'm hopefully going to finish up fixing the fire damage from last week but I'm not 100% sure of the labels I have on the bare wires.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Christ, I put this request up on a couple E30 forums also and I'm getting nothing but alarmist replies to pull the loving engine and rebuild it or at the very least replace the wire harness. It's always nice to come back to SA...

If I thought I needed to replace the harness I would :bahgawd:

case
Mar 27, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

Can someone please take a picture of the sensors on the thermostat housing on an M20 engine?

I'll grab one tomorrow.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Christ, I put this request up on a couple E30 forums also and I'm getting nothing but alarmist replies to pull the loving engine and rebuild it or at the very least replace the wire harness. It's always nice to come back to SA...

If I thought I needed to replace the harness I would :bahgawd:

I'm curious, what basis are they using for suggesting you rebuild that engine or replace the entire wiring harness? Do they believe the fire was so intense as to change the very alloy of the engine's internal components? Do they think the wiring is going to be chemically altered farther down the harness where you wish to splice it in such a way that it won't transmit electricity?

Kids these days; what with their need for everything to be brand new and to just throw away stuff that is "broken".

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I have a request: Can someone please take a picture of the sensors on the thermostat housing on an M20 engine? I'm hopefully going to finish up fixing the fire damage from last week but I'm not 100% sure of the labels I have on the bare wires.

I'll take some photos tonight. Additionally, I just pulled an M20B27 out of my E30 this weekend, and if you need parts, just PM me or reply here.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

CornHolio posted:

huh. We have a 14" SPAL puller fan, water resistant, and our price is $30. We buy them in massive quantities though.

It's SPAL # 30101539 (I dont know what number is on the fan, its always different from the number we order), if you're interested I can go take a picture of one. I can probably get with sales and have them sell it to you for like $35 plus shipping or something.

Can you get a pair of these?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you :)

As far as their reasoning? Exactly what you said, replacing stuff just because...

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
Just got a lead on a hardtop for my 328 convertible. When oh when will I be able to resist spending money on this car. :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

multiprotocol posted:

I'll take some photos tonight. Additionally, I just pulled an M20B27 out of my E30 this weekend, and if you need parts, just PM me or reply here.

Are you getting rid of the engine?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

The gently caress... I just walked out to my car, someone stole the passenger side kidney grill. Nothing else. It wasn't smashed or anything like that, it was pulled off the bodywork. I'm not sure, but it may not have even been violently taken. I'm so confused.

E: Looks like they tried to take the other one and failed. The gently caress.

maxallen fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 16, 2008

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Are you getting rid of the engine?

I'd like to.

Waffleimages looks to be not accepting images due to lack of mirrors? PM me your email and I'll send you the photos of the thermostat.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

multiprotocol posted:

I'd like to.

Waffleimages looks to be not accepting images due to lack of mirrors? PM me your email and I'll send you the photos of the thermostat.

PM sent.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

multiprotocol posted:

Can you get a pair of these?

I don't have PM capabilities. Give me your email address and I'll send you specifics (phone number, price, etc).

Do you need little mounting 'feet' too? I have 90° ones and straight ones. The fan has some holes in it and some little notches for mounting the legs.

edit: looks like they'd be $75 each, let me know if you're still interested.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 16, 2008

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

maxallen posted:

The gently caress... I just walked out to my car, someone stole the passenger side kidney grill. Nothing else. It wasn't smashed or anything like that, it was pulled off the bodywork. I'm not sure, but it may not have even been violently taken. I'm so confused.

E: Looks like they tried to take the other one and failed. The gently caress.

I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a new one or just get one cheap on ebay. It looks like the chrome ones on ebay are a lot more bright than the stock chrome, and the black ones I'm not sure will fit well either. Any thoughts?

PS- It's an Alpine White 330Ci with sport package.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

frozenphil posted:

That's what I'm going through. I'm really tired of having my daily driver require more time and money than my project car. It recently developed a wonderful knock from the front right (passenger) suspension and I'm sick of dumping money into a 10 year old, 152k mile commuter car.

I'm dumping more money into my 10 year old, 152k mile commuter car because every other car on the market in the sub-$25k range completely bores me. :(

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Driving on the highway and I hear a loud "pop" from the gear shift, a rattle, then a constant buzz sound. The car remained in gear buzzing a lot and then it eventually went away. Scared the gently caress out of me but now the shifter is all wobbly despite being able to select all gears just fine. Probably need new bushings and maybe more, but what the hell would cause it to pop so violently? This is a 1994 325i with 114k miles.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

maxallen posted:

I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a new one or just get one cheap on ebay. It looks like the chrome ones on ebay are a lot more bright than the stock chrome, and the black ones I'm not sure will fit well either. Any thoughts?

PS- It's an Alpine White 330Ci with sport package.

If your interior is black, go with the blacked out ones.

The chrome ones are too showy. I'd stick with OEM ones personally, but the blacked out ones look pretty good with matching interior. I see you have the sport package, so I assume you have the shadowline trim as well, correct?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

ynotony posted:

Driving on the highway and I hear a loud "pop" from the gear shift, a rattle, then a constant buzz sound. The car remained in gear buzzing a lot and then it eventually went away. Scared the gently caress out of me but now the shifter is all wobbly despite being able to select all gears just fine. Probably need new bushings and maybe more, but what the hell would cause it to pop so violently? This is a 1994 325i with 114k miles.

The only thing I can' think of is the dowel that goes through the shifter joint (pivots left and right, connected to the selector shaft on the transmission) fell out halfway. The shifter mechanism is really simple, if somewhat hard to see since the driveshaft is in the way. Just get under the car and play around with it, nothing should be obviously loose.

Or the rear end of the carrier let go from the body, which i've never really heard of happening.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Lufiron posted:

If your interior is black, go with the blacked out ones.

The chrome ones are too showy. I'd stick with OEM ones personally, but the blacked out ones look pretty good with matching interior. I see you have the sport package, so I assume you have the shadowline trim as well, correct?

No, sounds like the shadowline trim was only the ZHP. I've got stock chrome window trim and kidneys. I think but I'm not sure that the chrome slats are only chrome on the edges, not inside, which is why I think one of the ebay "Full chrome" ones would be too showy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just my luck, my new (old) e30 won't start. Was going to take it around the block today to test a few things and it wouldn't crank. Clicks like a bitch when I try to crank it, and when i tried it with the headlights/interior lights on they immediatly dim so I'm assuming a discharged/dead/bad battery.

Now my question is, where are the jumper connections under the hood? My manual is in german so I can't figure out where to connect the jumpers. Also, is there some trick to getting the battery cover back on? I got the two clips in place but it doesn't seem like it's in all the way and my trunk mat doesn't lie flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Just my luck, my new (old) e30 won't start. Was going to take it around the block today to test a few things and it wouldn't crank. Clicks like a bitch when I try to crank it, and when i tried it with the headlights/interior lights on they immediatly dim so I'm assuming a discharged/dead/bad battery.

Now my question is, where are the jumper connections under the hood? My manual is in german so I can't figure out where to connect the jumpers. Also, is there some trick to getting the battery cover back on? I got the two clips in place but it doesn't seem like it's in all the way and my trunk mat doesn't lie flat.

Passenger side, back by the firewall there should be a block with a bunch of wires coming from it with a red (+) label on it.