Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Goddamn, I'm now going to be a bit bummed out for the rest of the day because of a stick figure death. :(

Its not easy being green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Rapiers have excellent crittage no? He could have had a good chance to hit him in ten rounds. :(

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

tripwood posted:

Rapiers have excellent crittage no? He could have had a good chance to hit him in ten rounds. :(

Nah, it isn't an automatic hit unless it is a natural 20, regardless of crit range.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I thought Therkla's last line was a bit much. Made it cheesier than it needed to be.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

I thought Therkla's last line was a bit much. Made it cheesier than it needed to be.

Come on, an Elan story cannot be cheesier than it needs to be.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Now Elan just needs to keep a lock of her hair, or a fingernail or something, and he can have the ultimate rebound girl if Haley+Elan doesn't work out. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

LightWarden posted:

New Strip.

The moral of the story: always kill the bad guy first, because you can just sell his crap to finance resurrecting your friends afterwards. :eng101:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Gally posted:

Now Elan just needs to keep a lock of her hair, or a fingernail or something, and he can have the ultimate rebound girl if Haley+Elan doesn't work out. :v:

I wouldn't call a half-orc the ultimate rebound, but maybe I'm superficial.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I teared up at this. Poor, poor Therkla. How can I tear up over stick figures dying? :(

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
She wasn't developed enough as a character to make me care. Besides, those "death crosses" over the eyes always crack me up.

EDIT: Miko's death however... now THAT was sad :(

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 18, 2008

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Whoopty drat-doo, she wants to die forever because her crush won't reciprocate. And I guess from all the text-less panels we're supposed to feel bad about a fairly recent secondary character going down.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I'm rather meh about her dying because she was trying to get in the way of Haley and Elan. :colbert:

And really, I'm glad that little storyline was over. I dont' care about Therkla, I want to know what's going on with V.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Personally, I just want them to take down Kubota. Dude isn't a particularly charismatic villain, and he's as likable as say, Miko.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Dirtanium posted:

Remember Elan's knowledge of storytelling and tropes. I think it makes more sense for him to walk around with neutralize poison prepared all the time just in case this situation crops up. Poison is a rather common technique, and it would be very heroic to have neutralize poison prepared. The spell wouldn't benefit him, because I'm sure he's built up an immunity to iocane powder.

I hate to say I told you so...

You're right about Elan's knowledge of stories, though, but that's exactly why he understands that dying in someone's arms is far more dramatic and juicy than just getting healed within six seconds of being poisoned and going about your business.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

RentACop posted:

Whoopty drat-doo, she wants to die forever because her crush won't reciprocate. And I guess from all the text-less panels we're supposed to feel bad about a fairly recent secondary character going down.

Yea, pretty much this. I mean ok yea it sucks not to have someone return your affection but 'Well in that case I shall DIE' is pretty silly stuff. Everyone else is making do with lovely situations and Therkla's just throwing in the towel.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ashcans posted:

Yea, pretty much this. I mean ok yea it sucks not to have someone return your affection but 'Well in that case I shall DIE' is pretty silly stuff. Everyone else is making do with lovely situations and Therkla's just throwing in the towel.

Not like MIKO! She kept going until the bitter end! I'm still bummed about her. She was a great foil to the Order, i think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really want them to kill Kubota too, the more it's clear that he is a big waste of time. The entire world and possibly multiverse is at stake dependent on these gates, and the group is busy dealing with some petty political struggle of some piece of crap remnants of a fallen nation. It makes Kubota seem all the more petty in everything he's trying to do.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Miko, I just read the recent OotS collection and one of the extra scenes with Miko really added something to her character.

During the New Year's celebration Miko had come across two fellow female paladins, who were off to enjoy their New Year's dinner. Miko asked the two if she could join them, and they were like "Okay, we already have reservations for (this restaurant)."

"What no! That is a den of iniquity because the workers occasionally toss dice in the alley! As your superior I insist that-"

"Uh... actually we just started dating and we were just going to les out after dinner."

"Oh... okay."

When Miko returns to her room, it turns out she had already cooked dinner and had set out three bowls in the hopes that she could find some companions to eat with. She looked so dejected when she ended up just dining alone. (though with her mount as a companion)

Poor Miko. She just wants to have just one friend, and maybe sometimes her harsh holier-than-thou approach is just an excuse to get closer to others. :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, when did Miko die?

(I am surprisingly happy to hear that Miko died.)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

NutShellBill posted:

For me, this is the moment that will tell us if Roy is coming back to the strip as a regular.

I hope I'm wrong, but there have been subtle signs and conversations that have indicated that Roy is not only superfluous, but would be drastically underpowered if he came back.

Hopefully, he does come back though. I enjoy his character.

Nah, Roy will come back for sure. Or at least, if he never gets ressed, he'll keep showing up as a ghost. In No Cure for the Paladin Blues, Rich was talking about the scene where Miko and Belkar break through the window right after the trial and Miko almost executes Belkar. He says many fans felt Belkar deserved to die right then. He explains that even if he had died, the story will still follow him, even if it must be in the afterlife, as he is a member of the Order of the Stick so the story will always be partly about him.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, when did Miko die?

(I am surprisingly happy to hear that Miko died.)

This strip.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
I always felt that Therkla's reason for betraying her master were kinda weak (He's hot!) and was mostly a gag, so seeing it play out to the point of her death is also a little weak to me.

I guess I'm also a little confused why Kubota didn't at least try to kill Elan. I mean, his defense is through the roof apparently, and he just needs one touch to end it. So instead of completely getting away with what he wanted, I guess he's just walking away from 3 witnesses to a murder.

Unless he's also blowing up the boat that is.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I think the only reason Kubota succeeded was because it was a touch attack against a flat-footed (or flanked. whatever) target. If he'd stuck around to kill the other three, it would just have given them that 5% chance they needed to hit him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Idran posted:

This strip.

You know, I can't even remember and asking is faster than reading 100 comics: What did Lord Shojo actually do that broke the laws of Azure City?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

You know, I can't even remember and asking is faster than reading 100 comics: What did Lord Shojo actually do that broke the laws of Azure City?

He fixed the trial of the Order of the Stick, for one thing. I can't remember if the whole not-telling-anyone-about-the-gate or interfering with the other ones thing was enshrined in law, but if so then bringing them in on that might have been illegal too. He certainly broke his oaths on that count.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 20, 2008

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Cthulhuchan posted:

I think the only reason Kubota succeeded was because it was a touch attack against a flat-footed (or flanked. whatever) target. If he'd stuck around to kill the other three, it would just have given them that 5% chance they needed to hit him.

Well, with only one of them free...

Actually he probably could have killed the two tied up really easily. And I'd debate a particular tactic that seems like it'd work against Elan in this situation, but that'd probably be obsessing a little too much.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

1.) Fixed the OOTS's trial.
2.) Pretended to be an infirm old idiot when, in fact, he was a spry old mastermind (albeit, of the good variety)
3.) Basically made chumps out of his ancient order of Paladins and lied to them all the drat time.

Miko strung this all together to indicate that he was some sort of evil overlord in the making who was going to go hand the city over to Xyklon on a silver platter here, and decided the penalty was immediate execution.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
It looks like that potion from 443 would have been useful after all Roy!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Shavnir posted:

It looks like that potion from 443 would have been useful after all Roy!

Also, since Elan has one it looks like V handed out those heroism potions he got with his savvy business skills.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Manyorcas posted:

Also, since Elan has one it looks like V handed out those heroism potions he got with his savvy business skills.
Way back in Comic 135, no less. :)

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Cabbit posted:

1.) Fixed the OOTS's trial.
2.) Pretended to be an infirm old idiot when, in fact, he was a spry old mastermind (albeit, of the good variety)
3.) Basically made chumps out of his ancient order of Paladins and lied to them all the drat time.

2 and 3 really weren't crimes. And the first one arguably falls under his powers as head of the Azure Order, since he knew perfectly well they were innocent and the trial itself was a shame that he started.

Really I think the only criminal thing he, did was have the OOTS dragged into his country under false pretenses to begin with, and even that could be legally excused as part of his duty to protect the gate.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Well, you have to remember, these were 'crimes' as Miko saw them-- basically, flimsy justifications for her own etc. etc.; you saw what Roy said.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Hey new strip

Click here for the full 711x933 image.

Waste of a hit there, I think.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Sefer posted:

Hey new strip

Click here for the full 711x933 image.

Waste of a hit there, I think.

That was a bit... too legal from Elan. I expected a more chaotic response.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Elan's not really the kind of character that would kill someone in cold blood, so it makes sense to me.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 21, 2008

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyone else noticed that Erfworld is actually updating on pace?

Anyone know what tune the greaser vamps are humming?

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I assumed it was just more of the West Side Story bit they started just before(never actually seen it). also talking about Erfworld in here causes some people to have head-explodey syndrome, even if it has gotten pretty good and updates more often than oots lately...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyone else noticed that Erfworld is actually updating on pace?

Anyone know what tune the greaser vamps are humming?

That's totally from West Side Story.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Sick_Boy posted:

Being genre-savvy is more important to Elan than being chaotic. The hero can't kill the villain if the villain isn't fighting back, especially if they've surrendered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Sick_Boy posted:

Punching him WAS a chaotic response (it was illegal assualt, once he'd surrendered). Elan's also a GOOD character; as he showed with Nale, he's not going to kill somone who's surrendured, even if they deserve it.