Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
They're a "do anything" bike. They're pretty slow, but they are street legal. they float over just about any kind of ground. Just ask Phat_albert. Or Mouse Eats Cheese. They both have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Wrong thread, bike pictures are awesome.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Haha holy crap. A matching pair of Honda Reflexes for $3000. They have really low miles, too.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/830619439.html

I wonder how these would compare to something like a Yamaha TW200. I suppose they'd be more unrefined, but pretty awesome for around town stuff.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Nerobro posted:

They're a "do anything" bike. They're pretty slow, but they are street legal. they float over just about any kind of ground. Just ask Phat_albert. Or Mouse Eats Cheese. They both have one.

I'm quite jealous of his as his runs. Just did a ghetto filter job on mine, but it should work. Unfortunately my free time is taken up by class. Check to make sure there's an air filter in the air box!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

French Canadian posted:

Haha holy crap. A matching pair of Honda Reflexes for $3000. They have really low miles, too.

I wonder how these would compare to something like a Yamaha TW200. I suppose they'd be more unrefined, but pretty awesome for around town stuff.

I think I'd go with the TW200. One of our local riders brought one to a get together where we spent turns trying not to die on a Gas-Gas trials machine, and the TW200 guy did the same course with less drama/trauma. TW gets you a bigger tank, better sand/mud flotation, etc.Nothing horribly wrong with the Reflex, but if I was choosing with my money, I'd choose the TW.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

French Canadian posted:

I have a reflex, bought it new in 1986. Tough old goat, will climb anything. However the suspension is lacking and the 198cc engine is a bit anemic. Quiet as a church mouse, a real stealthy bike to poach some hiking trails. As a city bike it would be excellent, pretty light and stairs/curbs are easy-peasy with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tbonewalker posted:

RV90 time. Just put on new tires and shocks.

The shocks came off a late 80's Suzuki quad, and have the same mounting dimensions as stock shocks, though they are a bit wider at the top, necessitating mounting one right side up and the other upside down. I figure this won't hurt anything, but I'm not sure. It seems to handle better now compared to the junk stock shocks.

Nice! The RV army seems to grow by the day. How do you like those tires? Is yours strictly off-road, or does it see pavement time as well?

I've been thinking about picking those same tires up for off-road duty on my RV90.

Colawa posted:

I know this isn't the stupid question thread but what kind of riding do you do with a bike like this? They look pretty drat cool to be honest, do you do trails with them? or street?

As Nerobro said, they're a do-anything bike. They were street legal when new, so if you have a titled one, you can take it on the streets, which is really fun. They're only good to about 45mph or so, depending on what kind of tires you have on them. Think of them as an offroad scooter on steroids and you'll get the idea.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 8, 2008

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just bought the CBR600RR on the left on Friday, and a while ago I put that Leo Vince full system exhaust on my SV650S.

tbonewalker
Jul 12, 2006
I've used those tires on a the street a couple times, and they aren't too bad. The rubber is very soft, though, so I'd imagine the knobs will wear away pretty quick. I plan to keep it as a mostly offroad vehicle. The lean of the bike feels a little strange with the ridges the knobs make, but it's not too bad. Kind of feels like it's falling to each ridge the more you lean. They are excellent offroad tires though.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just bought the CBR600RR on the left on Friday, and a while ago I put that Leo Vince full system exhaust on my SV650S.

How would you review the Leo Vince? I'm tempted to buy one myself, a Leo Vince or a Laser Sport.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

jujube posted:

How would you review the Leo Vince? I'm tempted to buy one myself, a Leo Vince or a Laser Sport.

If you install a Power Commander III USB, the Leo Vince full system exhaust adds some obvious power. It comes with an optional baffle, and I keep it in for the reduced noise and improved torque.

Edit: but do I think it's worth $1300 to upgrade the exhaust/fuel injection? Probably not.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
About how much do those RV's weigh?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That's a nice, legit looking setup for the plate on your SV... ;)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

About how much do those RV's weigh?

Dry weight is listed as 185lbs.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Phat_Albert posted:

Dry weight is listed as 185lbs.

And they fit in the back of a minivan!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Holy crap what is that following me? It looks angry!

Oh wait, it's just this!

It has a bit of cosmetic damage, but I plan to make a big bore naked from it anyways, ditch the fairring and put a regular headlight there.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
My 2004 XR650R.
Finally finished after some hassles with the wheels.. Note to self. Don't allow RAD USA to build the wheels.

Photos in commuting mode

So we have:
17/17 Excel rims, 3.50/4.25 red RAD hubs with Maxxis presa tyres
320mm EBC front disc
15/41 gearing
200W Ricky stator with higher rated regulator
Edelbrock Carburettor 19E needle 18 clicks
Staintune full system
Teknik modified suspension, 20mm more travel in rear, revalve & respring.
24L Acerbis tank
Pro billet rack
Cheapie scooter top box
Vapor computer
SS Braided front line
Barkbusters

The next plan in the works is to convert it to a rallye style bike, like a 640 adventure.

A guy in the U.S is making a small run of these fairings with KTM 990 headlights to fit XRs.

Paint it red, stick some HIDs in there and you got a light brighter than the sun.

Next is a bash plate, Acerbis SM front fender and eventually heated grips.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Jharkov posted:

My 2004 XR650R.

*awesome pictures*

drat you. I passed my DAS bike test yesterday and I've been looking at new bikes (mostly wistfully, I'm a bit poor currently). One of the bikes I was looking at was an XR650R, and those pictures make it a drat sight more tempting. Fortunately I don't have £2000 to spare so it's mostly a moot point.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jharkov posted:

:clint:

Pure sex machine. I love the big, tall DS bikes. Too bad I'm a short rear end in a top hat.

npn
Mar 7, 2006
That's a really nice bike Jharkov (just finished reading through your advrider thread), I plan to do something very similar with a DR650 once I finish riding my GS500 into the ground.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ung! I want a XR650R so bad. Very nice setup, post more pix when you get it dual sported please!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
loving double post. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the XR650R isn't street legal out of the box, what's the mechanical difference between that and the 650L? Regardless that's an awesome street conversion. How do the Maxxises do in the dirt?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
This is my brand-new 2.5 months ago Suzuki GSX-R600.

Until recently I was riding a 1991 Honda CBR600. With the prices of used bikes skyrocketing thanks to gas prices, I figured now was a good time to upgrade.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Phy posted:

So the XR650R isn't street legal out of the box, what's the mechanical difference between that and the 650L? Regardless that's an awesome street conversion. How do the Maxxises do in the dirt?

From what I've seen, there's not a whole lot of mechanical difference between the L and the R (though I'm speaking from the point of view of the 125). I think it mainly comes down to things like indicators, mirrors and license plate. There may also be more power if it doesn't need to pass emissions control and so is tuned differently.

*** vvvv Man I look stupid now. I was wondering though, the XR125R is generally not street legal (the L is) but the XR650Rs I've seen over here (Britain) have been legal on the street. And I don't think I've seen a 650L. I think I'll shut up before I dig myself in any further.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 19, 2008

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Silver posted:

Ung! I want a XR650R so bad. Very nice setup, post more pix when you get it dual sported please!

They are awesome bikes. I've owned most of the dual sport thumpers and this is the best one out there for the price, and very moddable.
I'll be swapping the wheels to dirt maybe this weekend and taking it offroad. Transform the bike from a roadie to a pure dirt weapon in less than 45 minutes.

I've heard the XR650R isn't street legal in the states, but here in Australia they come street legal from the factory.

the XR650L is a more old school bike compared to the R, its aircooled, soft suspension and detuned motor. Completely different bikes, despite sharing the XR650 tag.

The XR650R was raced in the Baja1000 so it puts out plenty of horses, its watercooled, the suspension is nice once setup. Its a weapon :D I'll provide more pics when i get out bush.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Orange Someone posted:

From what I've seen, there's not a whole lot of mechanical difference between the L and the R (though I'm speaking from the point of view of the 125). I think it mainly comes down to things like indicators, mirrors and license plate. There may also be more power if it doesn't need to pass emissions control and so is tuned differently.

*** vvvv Man I look stupid now. I was wondering though, the XR125R is generally not street legal (the L is) but the XR650Rs I've seen over here (Britain) have been legal on the street. And I don't think I've seen a 650L. I think I'll shut up before I dig myself in any further.

The R is liquid cooled, and significantly more powerful.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

The R is liquid cooled, and significantly more powerful.

And lighter. And has a plastic tank.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ezrem posted:

Until recently I was riding a 1991 Honda CBR600. With the prices of used bikes skyrocketing thanks to gas prices, I figured now was a good time to upgrade.

I love the blue seat

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ezrem posted:

Mind if I ask how they compare?

Specifically, what's the HP difference/comfort difference? Is it a big upgrade, or a really really big upgrade?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

From roughly 80 to 120hp... that's a big difference :-)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

From roughly 80 to 120hp... that's a big difference :-)

No way you're pushing 120 on a modern 600. Maybe 110 on a really nice one, with a good aftermarket pipe, and tuning.

The difference that is biggest, IMO, is losing almost 100 pounds of weight, as well as 15 years of suspension/frame development.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Ezrem posted:

I still am left scratching my head over the new exhaust styles. Are there any other reasons besides aesthetics that they look like...that?

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Just bought my first bike today! 1981 Yamaha XS650

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

ail posted:

I still am left scratching my head over the new exhaust styles. Are there any other reasons besides aesthetics that they look like...that?

Emissions.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Blaise posted:

Emissions.

Did the old short stubbies not pass? Or is there some new regulations that passed recently? Because I gotta say, goddamn does the new style look ugly. At least color match it to the frame or the color of the bike, something.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Blaise posted:

Emissions.

Next time make an effort to be more vague, I can't get through your insanely detailed post.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Z3n posted:

No way you're pushing 120 on a modern 600. Maybe 110 on a really nice one, with a good aftermarket pipe, and tuning.

The difference that is biggest, IMO, is losing almost 100 pounds of weight, as well as 15 years of suspension/frame development.

He's talking at the motor, not at the wheel. A

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Z3n posted:

Really? I'm seeing from 100-108 on the 08 models @ the wheel(stock). That means 120-130-ish from the lump prior to losses in the trans and chain. I don't want to argue semantics, but the current crop of 600 SS bikes do in fact make 120-ish hp.

^^edit Oh goddamnit Morales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Turtle Parlor posted:

Really? I'm seeing from 100-108 on the 08 models @ the wheel(stock). That means 120-130-ish from the lump prior to losses in the trans and chain. I don't want to argue semantics, but the current crop of 600 SS bikes do in fact make 120-ish hp.

^^edit Oh goddamnit Morales

Yeah but an older sports bike is going to make 80hp at the wheel, soooo