Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

cooldude2.0 posted:

No, they're firmly at sea. Some pirates came by but were quickly dispatched because apparently the boat they're on is famous.

Also, the captain of the ship is really adept at the whole blowing up other ships thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Leonard Leroy posted:

I left this manga alone for 2 years or so, and came back thinking that caska would be healed, and they would have met the fairy king by then.

Hahahahahahaha.

:(

The Eclipse happened in, I believe, 1998. Caska has been broken for 10 years.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Ya, I got into Berserk in 2002, with the anime. Reading the manga afterwards was trippy.

:(

6 years, goddamn. Still my heart swelled and blood boiled reading the events that lead to the Berserker armor.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Kusaru posted:

The Eclipse happened in, I believe, 1998. Caska has been broken for 10 years.
Wow, 10 years is a long time for an awesome character to suck :(

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
Well, it's been 14 weeks since the last one, and the previous record is 16 weeks between episodes. There is light at the end of the tunnel! :gibs:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Why the hell is he taking breaks again? What's he so busy with? Maybe he's drawn the recent chapter like 3 times because he's not satisfied with it. :v:

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

cooldude2.0 posted:

Wow, 10 years is a long time for an awesome character to suck :(

Well, she pretty much went through Hell. It's unsurprising that she hasn't recovered.

Anyway, I've only watched the animation of this. It was awesome. Awesome enough to get me into the manga -- and I haven't even started reading it. Is Kentarō Miura planning on finishing the story, any time soon? It would be sweet if we got an omnibus containing everything. I wonder what the chances of that happening are?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Turn A posted:

Is Kentarō Miura planning on finishing the story, any time soon?
Yeah, about that... :suicide:

E: I am convinced that Miura has essentially become content in releasing just enough chapters to have one tankoban released per year. From 1993 to 2003, there were 2 tankoban volumes released each year. It wasn't until 2004 that it dropped to 1 a year, though in 2006 he released 2. Thus I doubt going forward we can count on having more than an average of 10 chapters a year.

Even that sounds overly optimistic. How many got released in 2007? And there's been, like 5 or 6 in 2008? I'm going to bet 2009 is going to be the first year since Berserk started we don't get a new volume, unless again Miura has some master plan.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 19, 2008

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.
Most of the time I'm reading the manga thinking "Dammit Guts, just give Caska a sword and it'll all come back to her! Just like that one time...DO IT DO IT DO IT!"

Caska was a cool character, and I want her back. I want my storybook ending of Guts and Caska living in a little cottage outside a village where they occasionally get commissions to go hunting monsters troubling villagers or fight off retard bandits.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Man I don't really care about Caska at this point, I just want to see Guts get some proper medical care for all the terrible wounds he is bearing. He's never looked the same after the last fight.

One takoban a year doesn't sound too bad, I guess its the irregular release schedule which makes it seem like eons. Claymore is once a month and its no big deal waiting for those. Just please don't loving die before finishing the drat thing...

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

This recent complete disregard for a schedule fills me with such hoplessness. If the manga has taught me anything, it's to punch hopelessness in the balls and scream a lot.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

ArchDemon posted:

This recent complete disregard for a schedule fills me with such hoplessness. If the manga has taught me anything, it's to punch hopelessness in the balls and scream a lot.

This is a good life lesson that is applicable in every situation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ArchDemon posted:

If the manga has taught me anything, it's to punch hopelessness in the balls and scream a lot.

Guts is the struggler, and we shall struggle on with him. :black101:

Also, stop making 17 new replies to this thread when there isn't a new chapter out, you assholes. :(

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The best manga have release problems. This and Hunter x Hunter. At least this still has good art and isn't scribbles.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
So, um -- has Guts killed Griffith yet?

Don Cojones
Jul 11, 2001

Edge Zero posted:

The best manga have release problems. This and Hunter x Hunter. At least this still has good art and isn't scribbles.
People still like HxH? What the hell happened to this manga? I can't stand it now.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
If, for whatever reason, you fight against your gag reflex when the bug arc begins, it actually turns into something sort of interesting, even if it's drawn on napkins and on pause forever (presumably to find more napkins).

suck it, people seeing a flood of new posts

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
12 new posts! Hell yeah time to click and see when the update is....

I hate all of you who posted, but less than I hate Miura at the moment.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Turn A posted:

So, um -- has Guts killed Griffith yet?

Hah.

If I was rich, I'd throw a contest where published, well known manga authors could enter their vision of the last Berserk tanko and award the best one with a bunch of money.

This thread has driven me to buying a lotto ticket tonight.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Revdomezehis posted:

12 new posts! Hell yeah time to click and see when the update is....

I hate all of you who posted, but less than I hate Miura at the moment.
You are contributing to the problem.

And so am I. SUFFER! :black101:

I wonder what the bottleneck is. A few years is usually enough to write a sizable chunk of story, and I assume he's got a couple assistants to off-set his stiff art requirements.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

yook posted:

You are contributing to the problem.

And so am I. SUFFER! :black101:

I wonder what the bottleneck is. A few years is usually enough to write a sizable chunk of story, and I assume he's got a couple assistants to off-set his stiff art requirements.

It's his magnum opus. He probably has hundreds of trashed pages lying around on his floor that weren't good enough--story and art.

I can't help but think of Hellsing now. I've only read 1 or 3 tanko-whatevers, but I remember some wild claim that the author was too busy whacking off to finish it. Then someone said the author came like 90% close to confirming this statement.

Was Hellsing ever finished? Again, I only scratched at a few volumes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Andrigaar posted:

Was Hellsing ever finished? Again, I only scratched at a few volumes.
Wow, it actually did. I'd stopped checking since for a while it'd reached a pace almost as glacial as Berserk. Fortunately it only weighs in at 93 chapters.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

Wow, it actually did. I'd stopped checking since for a while it'd reached a pace almost as glacial as Berserk. Fortunately it only weighs in at 93 chapters.

http://www.hiranomoe.com/releases/%5BHiranomoe%5DHellsing.94.zip
94 is out, and 95 is going to to be the last chapter and apparently it will be double the length to fit into the last volume.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oops, well, I was close.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
So is Mirua on vacation or did something else happen? Seems like the Dark Horse volumes is going to catch up to vol 32 sooner then expected.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Somebody should make a web page with a synopsis of all that has happened in Berserk, since we're all forgetting everything that has ever happened. Complete with some pictures. I'm thinking of those well-written Starcraft and Brood War "Story so far" pages put up in anticipation of Starcraft 2, which skim over the individual battles but explain all the important events, political affiliations of the characters... the stuff you need to understand everything.

I'd do it, but it'd mean rereading all of Berserk again, and I'm much too long-winded for any task that asks for conciseness.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Zackarotto posted:

Somebody should make a web page with a synopsis of all that has happened in Berserk, since we're all forgetting everything that has ever happened. Complete with some pictures. I'm thinking of those well-written Starcraft and Brood War "Story so far" pages put up in anticipation of Starcraft 2, which skim over the individual battles but explain all the important events, political affiliations of the characters... the stuff you need to understand everything.

I'd do it, but it'd mean rereading all of Berserk again, and I'm much too long-winded for any task that asks for conciseness.

I just finished my yearly re-read of Berserk, the only thing I'm lacking is the first three volumes (though I don't think a ton happened in those that hasn't been explained). I'd be able to rock out a good summary but I completely lack any ability to make and put up a web page.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Hell, if you're willing to write it up, I can do that much.

Phil_asdf
Oct 9, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Holy gently caress, just write it in novel form so we can read WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENS.

How old is Miura? because right now I'm thinking the possibility of him dying before the manga finishes is extremely high.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Phil_asdf posted:

Holy gently caress, just write it in novel form so we can read WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENS.

How old is Miura? because right now I'm thinking the possibility of him dying before the manga finishes is extremely high.

He's in his 40s now, I think?

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Early forties, but it'd still be a valid concern if he was twelve.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
3 responses, I thought a new chapter came out. :sigh:

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Miura is 42. Average male Japanese lifespan is approximately 79, so he still has 37 years to finish Berserk.

:smithicide:

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I would like to still be in my twenties after this manga finishes. Because otherwise, I'd just be sad with myself.

Phil_asdf
Oct 9, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I could just imagine in 40 years when I'm 60 and suddenly bellowing in victory when the last chapter is released, then trying to explain to my wife and kids that there's this story about this guy with a giant sword that wrecks poo poo up and I've been reading it since I was 20 and then hoping I don't get put in a home.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Leonard Leroy posted:

3 responses, I thought a new chapter came out. :sigh:

I thought there was a press release where he admitted he had brain cancer or Alzheimer's or any disorder where his brain was going to be stuck in pure dementia by the end of the month.

It's good news that there's no news (like this.)

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Every time I see this thread as new posts only to find nothing about a new release, my heart sinks a little.

Man, reading 40-some volumes in a row was awesome.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
DEVELOPING: Rumors have it that an ailing Kentaro Miura has just sold the rights to Berserk to famed mangaka Rumiko Takahashi. No concrete details yet, but Takahashi has stated she wants to take the series in a "more light hearted, romantic comedy direction." Leaked concept sketches show a much older Schierke flirting with and apparently ordering around a now dog-eared Gutts, Serpico wearing monk attire, Farnese sporting a giant boomerang, and a small furry creature who is speculated to be Isidro. There is no sign of Caska, however.

More on this as more information comes out.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

evilsake posted:

DEVELOPING: Rumors have it that an ailing Kentaro Miura has just sold the rights to Berserk to famed mangaka Rumiko Takahashi. No concrete details yet, but Takahashi has stated she wants to take the series in a "more light hearted, romantic comedy direction." Leaked concept sketches show a much older Schierke flirting with and apparently ordering around a now dog-eared Gutts, Serpico wearing monk attire, Farnese sporting a giant boomerang, and a small furry creature who is speculated to be Isidro. There is no sign of Caska, however.

More on this as more information comes out.

It would still take forever :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Don't worry, Togashi's volunteered to help!