Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mas
Jun 4, 2004
Proud Member of the Al Jourgensen Fanclub Have you done heroin while wearing a huge cowboy hat today?
grrr...I've been away from my listening for a few weeks and got some free time tonight and fired up my FRG-7. I'm getting some kind of annoying pulse every 5 seconds on EVERY frequency and band. I can tune stuff in but depending on the freq. the pulse sounds anything like a burst of static to a ground loop hum. It's driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

mas posted:

grrr...I've been away from my listening for a few weeks and got some free time tonight and fired up my FRG-7. I'm getting some kind of annoying pulse every 5 seconds on EVERY frequency and band. I can tune stuff in but depending on the freq. the pulse sounds anything like a burst of static to a ground loop hum. It's driving me nuts.

Sounds like local EM interference.

mas
Jun 4, 2004
Proud Member of the Al Jourgensen Fanclub Have you done heroin while wearing a huge cowboy hat today?

AstroZamboni posted:

Sounds like local EM interference.

Yeah but I don't know what would suddenly be doing it, unless the neighbors have got something new that's sketchy next door. My antenna is about 40 feet of 12 gauge insulated wire strung from a tree to the house eve then soldered to the center conductor of some RG-213 coax into a PL-259 then into the radio. I get great reception and wasn't getting this two weeks ago. I might have to borrow a field meter from a fellow HAM and do some snooping.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

mas posted:

My antenna is about 40 feet of 12 gauge insulated wire strung from a tree to the house eve then soldered to the center conductor of some RG-213 coax into a PL-259 then into the radio. I get great reception and wasn't getting this two weeks ago.

It could be something as minor as an air conditioner compressor. Longwires can be notoriously sensitive to interference. A Magnetic loop (look earlier in the thread for blueprints) can help boost reception AND filter out interference.

mas
Jun 4, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

It could be something as minor as an air conditioner compressor. Longwires can be notoriously sensitive to interference. A Magnetic loop (look earlier in the thread for blueprints) can help boost reception AND filter out interference.

I had started building a mag loop awhile back but abandoned it when I got into the HAM stuff. Whatever it was it's gone tonight. I've been listening to Voice of Vietnam, Radio Sweden, Radio Cairo and now Radio Australia. Getting good strong, clean signals all over. Gotta love it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

mas posted:

I had started building a mag loop awhile back but abandoned it when I got into the HAM stuff. Whatever it was it's gone tonight. I've been listening to Voice of Vietnam, Radio Sweden, Radio Cairo and now Radio Australia. Getting good strong, clean signals all over. Gotta love it.

Either way, if you have a half-finished mag loop, for the love of gawd, finish it! You'll be getting better results either way.

I still need to get the ball rolling on mine.

mas
Jun 4, 2004
Actually, I doubt I would since my radio is in the basement. The random wire I'm using now is going to be reconfigured this weekend, if it stops raining, to use on my HF transceiver so I'll probably just throw another stretch of wire up w/out the coax run on it strung through the hole the current one is run through from outside the house to the inside and use it as an inverted-L for my SW.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I hear the National Hurricane Center will is on 14.325mhz if anyone is interested. I'd imagine they'd have the latest on Ike. I'll be checking it out tonight.

EDIT:Just heard that they changed frequency to 7.268mhz on the echolink voip net. I can't hear either frequency in Dallas :(

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 13, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Radio St. Helena Day is one of the biggest days in the shortwave year.

quote:

Radio St Helena Day 2008 details
Radio St Helena has set a date for the next Radio St Helena Day (RSHD). RSHD was revived on 4 November 2006, bringing back the special annual worldwide transmission on shortwave. Last year’s transmission was another success and was held later in the year (15 December) to coincide with Radio St Helena’s 40th Anniversary (25th December).

Last year was also the 10th RSHD, therefore it was a very special Double Anniversary. It was enjoyed by numerous presenters, who all gave up their time to present and lend a helping hand to make the evening a memorable one.

The station has posted 247 Special Anniversary QSL cards, designed by Robert Kipp, who initiated the ‘Revival of RSHD’. Reception reports were received from various parts of Europe, Japan, USA and Canada. Documentaries of the special broadcasts have been featured on television programmes in Germany and have appeared on many websites around the world; putting St Helena Island ‘on the map’.

This year, it has been decided to host RSHD in November after feedback from listeners in Japan indicated that December was too late in the year to get a clear signal. Therefore, this year’s Radio St Helena Day is set for Saturday 15 November. Radio St Helena Day 2008 will be broadcast on 11092.5 kHz in USB on Saturday, 15 November 2008 as follows :

2000-2100 UTC to Japan
2100-2230 UTC to Europe
2230-2330 UTC to North America

Because of the very long “Revival” and “Double-Anniversary” transmissions in 2006 and 2007 and the especially heavy workload at Radio St Helena during the entire second half of 2008, it was decided that RSD 2008 would be reduced to the above schedule. It is hoped that the times have been chosen so that reception in all areas will be acceptable.

The QSL procedure is the same as in 2006 and 2007, and the QSL address is :

Radio St Helena
P.O. Box 93,
Jamestown
St. Helena
STHL 1ZZ
South Atlantic Ocean
(Source: Laura Lawrence, Radio Station Manager via St Helena Herald/R Netherlands Media Network Weblog)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"The QSL procedure is the same as in 2006 and 2007"

Any idea what that was? 'cause I'm hell of up for trying to get the Japan broadcast, if nothing else.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

"The QSL procedure is the same as in 2006 and 2007"

Any idea what that was?
I think this is what they're referring to:

http://www.dxtests.info/2006/10/radio-st-helena-day-party-on.html posted:

There will be a new and interesting QSL card for this "Revival" broadcast. It will take several months to process the reception reports, so please be patient. Only reception reports sent by regular mail will be accepted. Email-reports will NOT be accepted. Return postage is absolutely required and is "at least" three IRC's or "Greenstamps".

...but v:shobon:v

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well this is weird - tooling around with my wideband receiver, I stumbled across Radio Taiwan International broadcasting loud and clear on 414.400 MHz. It's kind of cool to actually be able to listen to RTI while still in Taiwan.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

TetsuoTW posted:

Well this is weird - tooling around with my wideband receiver, I stumbled across Radio Taiwan International broadcasting loud and clear on 414.400 MHz. It's kind of cool to actually be able to listen to RTI while still in Taiwan.

Um, are you sure about that frequency?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thehustler posted:

Um, are you sure about that frequency?

Absolutely. They're way up in the 75cm band - that's the weirdest thing. And I have no idea how it would happen unintentionally. The reason it's coming in so clear, I presume, is because they're only a couple of kilometers from me, but it's still odd that it's happening at all.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

nmfree posted:

stuff about Radio St. Helena Day

I'm still a bit new to this, so I beg everyone's pardon if these are dumb questions.

1. Do I have a shot in hell of picking this up if I'm in Virginia, USA?

2. I'm using a Grundig G6 (just got it a week ago as a gift, hooray). To get the "11092.5 kHz in USB", I want to tune to 11092, switch to SSB, and tune upwards, yes? I'm still a bit fuzzy on how SSB works, and the G6 manual is pretty sparse on info regarding tuning in SSB/LSB/USB.

Nice little radio, the G6; much better than the two thrift store finds I was trying with before. I love the backlit feature, because my whole house is done in CFLs. Now I can turn them off to get rid of any fluorescent interference and still see what the hell I'm doing.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Absolutely. They're way up in the 75cm band - that's the weirdest thing. And I have no idea how it would happen unintentionally. The reason it's coming in so clear, I presume, is because they're only a couple of kilometers from me, but it's still odd that it's happening at all.
You're listening to the wireless feeder that connects the studio to the transmitters.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm still a bit new to this, so I beg everyone's pardon if these are dumb questions.

1. Do I have a shot in hell of picking this up if I'm in Virginia, USA?
You might need to clip a few yards/meters of wire to your whip antenna (or use an active antenna), but since you'd be almost all over ocean, you should have a decent chance to hear them, depending on propagation that day.

2. I'm using a Grundig G6 (just got it a week ago as a gift, hooray). To get the "11092.5 kHz in USB", I want to tune to 11092, switch to SSB, and tune upwards, yes? I'm still a bit fuzzy on how SSB works, and the G6 manual is pretty sparse on info regarding tuning in SSB/LSB/USB.
I downloaded it, and I agree that the manual is a bit vague about tuning in SSB. Since I believe the 11092.5 frequency is the carrier frequency, that's what is going to be displayed on your radio in order to listen, so yes, you'll tune upward a little. If not, if you can pick it up just tune around a little bit you'll probably find it eventually.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Radio Netherlands plans on stopping shortwave service to North America next month citing decline of shortwave listeners and alternatives means of broadcast.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/features/media/080912-shortwave-america

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

NYIslander posted:

Radio Netherlands plans on stopping shortwave service to North America next month citing decline of shortwave listeners and alternatives means of broadcast.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/features/media/080912-shortwave-america

gently caress! I loving LOVE Radio Netherlands. Seriously, gently caress this dying form of media BULLSHIT!

By the way, I picked up a Skyking message at 17:00 UTC on 6740 khz. Only my second or third nabbed Skyking transmission.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

By the way, I picked up a Skyking message at 17:00 UTC on 6740 khz. Only my second or third nabbed Skyking transmission.

I've noticed bugger all activity on 11175 khz these days on the HFGCS from my location in the UK, whereas 6 months or so ago, it sang like a bird. Are they using lower frequencies more often now?

Edit: And 6739 (you're a khz off :) ) isn't even a 24 hour primary. I might have to start monitoring 8992 instead.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

AstroZamboni posted:

gently caress! I loving LOVE Radio Netherlands. Seriously, gently caress this dying form of media BULLSHIT!

It's somehow a hell of a lot more fum picking up stuff on the radio compared with listening to an internet stream.

The low-fi just adds to the quality.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nmfree posted:

You're listening to the wireless feeder that connects the studio to the transmitters.
Aaah, that makes sense, especially given it's a constant stream of all of their programming with musical interludes during downtime. Reckon they'd QSL it? :lol:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TetsuoTW posted:

Aaah, that makes sense, especially given it's a constant stream of all of their programming with musical interludes during downtime. Reckon they'd QSL it? :lol:

*grin* Give it a go - can't hurt! ;)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Radio New Zealand celebrates sixty years of broadcasting
Radio New Zealand is celebrating 60 years of international shortwave broadcasting. On 27 September, the Dominion Day holiday in 1948, New Zealand’s first international shortwave service was launched by Prime Minister Peter Fraser. It took the name ‘Radio New Zealand’ and was part of the New Zealand Broadcasting Service (NZBS).

The network has had a chequered history but, sixty years on, is stronger than ever, broadcasting today as Radio New Zealand International, providing an essential link between New Zealand and its Pacific neighbours. Today Radio New Zealand International is well respected and widely heard across the Pacific and into South East Asia. Eighteen Pacific radio stations re-broadcast Radio New Zealand International material each day and the service is available through digital and analogue shortwave, and via the Internet.

Radio New Zealand International Manager, Linden Clark, acknowledges the technological revolution that has allowed the network to achieve its current international recognition. “From humble beginnings, using two second hand US military transmitters left behind after the Second World War, the station has grown to become a significant international broadcaster using shortwave, digital and analogue technology which allows us to play a vital role in increasing understanding and awareness of New Zealand’s role in the Pacific.”

Anniversary celebrations this week will include a special programme to be broadcast on Radio New Zealand National at 12.20 am on Saturday 27th September and at 9.06 pm on Tuesday 30th September. This programme will also be broadcast on Radio New Zealand International throughout the week. It includes the opening announcement by the Prime Minister of the day, Peter Fraser, excerpts from early programmes and interviews with former and current staff.
(Source: Radio New Zealand Limited/R Netherlands Media Network Weblog)

Additinal programming info:

On Monday 27 September 1948 Radio New Zealand Shortwave Service began
broadcasting to the Pacific and beyond. To mark this special occasion a 60th
Anniversay QSL will acknowledge reports on and after 27 September 2008.

The 60th ANNIVERSARY MAILBOX SPECIAL BROADCAST TIMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Sat 27 SEP 0020 NZDT 2320 UTC(Fri) MAILBOX SPECIAL FULL VERSION*
Sat 27 SEP 1806 NZDT 0506 UTC(Sat) MAILBOX SPECIAL FULL VERSION**
MON 29 SEP
Mon 0105(NZDT) 1205 UTC(Sun) MAILBOX SPECIAL FULL VERSION DUR: 39:32***
Mon 0610(NZDT) 1710 UTC(Sun) MAILBOX SPECIAL FULL VERSION DUR: 39:32+
Mon 1135(NZDT) 2235 UTC(Sun) MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #1 DUR: 18:42*
Mon 2030(NZDT) 0730 UTC MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #1 DUR: 18:42++
TUE 30 SEP
Tue 0030(NZDT) 2330 UTC (Mon)MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #2 Dur: 18:52*
Tue 0230(NZDT) 1330 UTC(Mon) MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #1 Dur: 18:42+++
Tue 0530(NZDT) 0430 UTC(Mon) MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #2 Dur: 18:52^
Tue 1135(NZDT) 2235 UTC(Mon) MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #2 DUR: 18:52*
SAT 04 OCT
Sat 0930(NZDT) 2030 UTC(Fri) MAILBOX SPECIAL SHORT VERSION #2 Dur: 18:52*

Where to listen:
code:
[b]Symb      Freq                 Target area[/b]
*      15720 kHz           Vanuatu, Solomon Islands
**     9615 AM     	   Pacific 
***    9655 AM	           NW Pacific, Bougainville, PNG, Timor
+      7145 AM 	           NE Pacific, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands
++     7145 AM     	   Pacific
+++    6170 AM	           Pacific
^      15720 AM 	   Samoa
You can also download the program (if you're like me and highly unlikely to hear this OTA) from their website.

I also bolded the UTC times because UTC dates don't line up with NZ local dates.

Hope someone in that area of the world can hear this and gets a QSL!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

meltie do you have a rig in your landrover yet?

Also when are you coming to see me and take me for a ride?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nmfree posted:

Hope someone in that area of the world can hear this and gets a QSL!
I'd have been all over this, unfortunately I had to take my antenna down so it doesn't get destroyed in the typhoon we're having at the moment :(

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/2008/09/north-korean-officials-reportedly.html posted:

North Korean officials reportedly listening to foreign radio

Text of report in English by Jung Kwon Ho:
“North Korean officials listen to foreign radio”, published by South Korean newspaper The Daily NK website on 25 August Shenyang, China - Among cadres in North Korea, listening to foreign radio is on the increase.

Several sources from North Korea report that “Irrespective of rank, the trend of listening to foreign radio broadcasts is expanding among officials of the Party, the administration or the National Security Agency, even the rank-and-file servants.”

A source from South Pyungan said that “Everybody knows that those who listen to foreign radio broadcasts the most are the cadres. They have been listening to foreign radio because they were wondering in which situation Chosun (North Korea) is placed in international society.” “Although the cadres can purchase radios easily, because there are many confiscated radios from the residents in the National Security Agency and the People’s Safety Agency, many high officials are increasingly asking workers involved in foreign currency earning enterprises to get better radios.”

In the past, only high officials in charge of the intelligence field, earning foreign currency and international affairs listened to foreign broadcasts, but lately administrative officials and officials in mid or lower levels listen to them as well .

The foreign radio broadcasts that North Koreans can access are “Voice of Korea,” from the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS), Radio Free Asia (RFA), Voice of America (VOA), Korean language broadcasting from the Yanbian region of China and other broadcasts from South Korean religious organizations and NGOs.

The North Korean authorities have been jamming radio signals so as to avoid citizens being able to listen to foreign broadcasts, and confiscating radios from them.

The source said that “The cadres do not say directly that they get some international news from radio but there are many cases where they talk about international news and affairs. People say if someone does not know about South Korean or international trends; it is hard to be approved of by officials.” Officials pay more attention to foreign broadcasts than ordinary people because their education level is high and they are familiar with foreign news.

The next levels of people who listen to foreign broadcasts are the intellectuals and college students. South Korean dramas and movies which have been entering North Korea through China since the late 1990s gave them an interest in outside information, according to the sources. However, there are also newspapers containing foreign issues and selected international news from foreign media; Chamgo Shinmun (Reference newspaper) and the Chamgo Jaryo (Reference materials), which are regularly distributed only to high officials. Members of the Central Committee of the Party, Chief Secretaries and the Organizing Secretaries of the provincial committee of the Party can read them on a limited basis.

(Source: The Daily NK website, Seoul, in English 25 Aug 08 via BBC Monitoring)

Andy Sennitt comments: This report ties in with an editorial in the latest issue of The Economist, which says that “Now that shortwave radios are common in the North, broadcasts from outside should be stepped up.” Seemingly The Economist had access to the same “sources” as the Daily NK. It appears that the jamming being carried out by the authorities is not wholly effective, though that would be one reason why officials are trying to get “better radios.”

(Source: R Netherlands Media Network Weblog)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Foreign broadcast insurrection in North Korea.

Thanks for posting this! That was a great read.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Thanks for posting this! That was a great read.
Now if only we didn't have to slog through so much trash on Monitoring Time's Shortwave Blog...

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Silly question(s) du jour:

I'd like to get my own copy of Passport. I've been checking out/renewing the library's 2001 copy over and over, and even though it's seven years old, I can see why y'all recommend it so highly. Should I go ahead and get the 2008 even though it's October? Passport's site still boasts "new 2008 edition available now!", but I see you can pre-order the 2009 edition on Amazon. When do new editions usually become available?

Also: can anyone in the US (or picking up US stations) recommend interesting domestic stations and/or programs that aren't Bible-thumpin', fire-and-brimstone wackiness? I do love me some crazy preachers, but I don't seem to find much else coming out of the US, at least during my usual 2300 - 0400z listening hours.

My current fave station: 7305, which I have yet to identify. Sometimes it's Morse, sometimes weird SSB signals, and sometimes it's a guy who seamlessly preaches in English, French, and Spanish. His multi-lingual accent is so thick and vague that I can be listening, hit the bathroom, come back, and then it takes me a minute to figure out "wait, wasn't he just speaking Spanish? Now it's French!" I never know what I'm gonna get with 7305.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Should I go ahead and get the 2008 even though it's October? Passport's site still boasts "new 2008 edition available now!", but I see you can pre-order the 2009 edition on Amazon. When do new editions usually become available?
I was going to make a post yesterday re: Passport, but :effort:

Basically, the new edition comes out in the middle/end of October (usually), so if you're thinking about picking up a copy it's better to wait, unless you find a really good deal on the current edition.

Also: can anyone in the US (or picking up US stations) recommend interesting domestic stations and/or programs that aren't Bible-thumpin', fire-and-brimstone wackiness? I do love me some crazy preachers, but I don't seem to find much else coming out of the US, at least during my usual 2300 - 0400z listening hours.
About the closest thing to a non-religious US broadcaster is WBCQ, a former pirate broadcaster who became legit when the US loosened shortwave regulations a while back. They do carry some crazy "Praise-the-Lord-Hallelujah" stuff, but a lot of their programming is kind of... kooky. You have to listen to really believe some of the stuff they do. There's some other stuff out there, but you really have to hunt for it.

My current fave station: 7305, which I have yet to identify. Sometimes it's Morse, sometimes weird SSB signals, and sometimes it's a guy who seamlessly preaches in English, French, and Spanish. His multi-lingual accent is so thick and vague that I can be listening, hit the bathroom, come back, and then it takes me a minute to figure out "wait, wasn't he just speaking Spanish? Now it's French!" I never know what I'm gonna get with 7305.
Vatican State Radio operates on 7305, and they switch languages every 15 minutes. This may be what you're hearing; 7305 also falls in the 40 meter Amateur Radio Band, so that might also explain the CW you're hearing.

Trixton
Mar 7, 2007
What are these goddamn animals?
This thread has encouraged me to buy a Grundig G5! Add that to your tally, AstroZamboni. Wonderful job and thank you.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

From Monitoring Times:

quote:

Radio St. Helena set for test transmissions

Dear Radio Clubs and DXers everywhere,

Radio St. Helena TEST Transmission on either 03. or 04. October 2008

On either 03. October or 04. October starting at the earliest at 18:00 UTC, Radio St. Helena will broadcast a TEST transmission on 11092.5 KHz in USB. It is assumed that the TEST will last for one hour. It is assumed that the antenna will be aimed at Europe. As is usual for TEST transmissions, Radio St. Helena will NOT issue QSL cards. However, RSH would be interested in short emails describing the audio quality of the various parts of the broadcast (music, presenters voices, interviews).

Thank-you and good listening,
Robert Kipp

(Mark Nicholls via HCDX/bclnews.it)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

nmfree: Thanks for the Passport info (as well as all those other questions of mine you've answered since I've gotten into this SW obsession). I'll hold off for a couple weeks, then.

Anyone catch the St. Helena test today? I was at work at 1800z. :(

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I'd like to give this a shot. If i wanted a really cheap one, where should i be looking? Ebay? What models should i keep an eye out for? I'm thinking <$50, although as low as possible would be great. Am i dreaming if i think i can get a decent radio for that price?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Econosaurus posted:

I'd like to give this a shot. If i wanted a really cheap one, where should i be looking? Ebay? What models should i keep an eye out for? I'm thinking <$50, although as low as possible would be great. Am i dreaming if i think i can get a decent radio for that price?
There are good recommendations in the OP; the Degen/Kaito 1103 is OK and costs less than $100.

You can try eBay, etc. but realize that unless you really shop around it's difficult to tell what is a bargain and what isn't. Some people have had some luck at local pawn shops or thrift stores, so that's something to try too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

:derp: The 2009 edition of Passport to World Band Radio is now available for preorder! :derp:

Amazon.com has it available for $15.61 + shipping, with no specific release date yet (end of October).

-or-

order it directly from IBS for $22.95 shipped (to USA). You'll probably get it a few days faster via this method as they ship directly from the print house.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
How I spend my evenings...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Oceanic
It's beat up, torn and worn, but I like it that way. Gives it character. I built an "A" and "B" battery pack for it (six D cells for the tube filaments, and ten nine volts in series for the plates) and love freaking people out when I actually use it as a portable.

I've also got three hallicrafers, SX24/SX25 in the basement waiting to be recapped, and a restored sky buddy in my bedroom.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 7, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

MullardEL34 posted:

The Master Valve indeed... :v:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

MullardEL34 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Oceanic
It's beat up, torn and worn, but I like it that way. Gives it character. I built an "A" and "B" battery pack for it (six D cells for the tube filaments, and ten nine volts in series for the plates) and love freaking people out when I actually use it as a portable.

I've also got three hallicrafers, SX24/SX25 in the basement waiting to be recapped, and a restored sky buddy in my bedroom.

Using a trans-oceanic as a portable?

You're a beatiful bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

More a scanning than a shortwave story, but I'm happy today because I've found the awesome 70cm/2m antenna for my handheld that I thought I lost about a year ago :D

Shame I'd already bought a rubber duck 70cm/2m to replace it. A worse one. I can't take it back now, too long after purchase. Oh well, it can be a nice backup.

I'm looking at moving out into a house with a goony friend of mine in the near future so I may well finally get myself a decent base station instead of just struggling with a handheld. The transmit button is a little flakey :)

• Locked thread