Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!

helium muppet posted:

I can barely remember this game (mid to late 80's)

It was for a Macintosh classic.

It was a point and click type game.

I think there was a castle of some sort.

There was a scary bald dude.

Anyone?

This is a stretch, but this could've been one of the old WorldBuilder games. Names of ones that fit your description are: Radical Castle, Castle of Id, Vampire Castle, or even one of the more mainstream ones like Ray's Maze, or Another Fine Mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

helium muppet posted:

I can barely remember this game (mid to late 80's)

It was for a Macintosh classic.

It was a point and click type game.

I think there was a castle of some sort.

There was a scary bald dude.

Anyone?
I'm thinking Dark Castle, but I could be wrong, it was a clicky platformer.

Are you talking about a point-and-click adventure/puzzler, such as Shadowgate?

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
PS1 game.

Puzzle style, 3d enviorment. I can't really remember if you were a ball or a cube. The levels were very well done, about 100 of them, as I remember.

It was full 3d, there were keys, warps and all you would expect.

poo poo, I cant remember anymore, only that it was awesome and the "levels" were floating in front of really nice backround graphics.

Anyone?

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

small change posted:

The vaguest memory of a game just came to me as I read through this thread. It was on the old Amstrad with a tape deck and came on an Amstrad Power (I think that was the magazine) tape. In any case what I can remember of this game was that the main character had a jetpack he flew around in typical 2d side scrolling style. What makes it stand out is that I seem to remember the levels were made out of this weird organic looking substance, the enemies seemed to be made out of the same thing. This game was also on the cover of the magazine the demo tape came on so maybe it was a big deal at the time?

is it this, by chance?

http://www.cpczone.net/game/253

RiceCows
Apr 24, 2008

sewers are fun

Losanda posted:

PS1 game.

Puzzle style, 3d enviorment. I can't really remember if you were a ball or a cube. The levels were very well done, about 100 of them, as I remember.

It was full 3d, there were keys, warps and all you would expect.

poo poo, I cant remember anymore, only that it was awesome and the "levels" were floating in front of really nice backround graphics.

Anyone?

This sounds like Kula World (RollAway in the US). It's actually available on PSN now.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

RiceCows posted:

This sounds like Kula World (RollAway in the US). It's actually available on PSN now.

FFS, thanks man, that's totaly awesome!

fake edit/

Hell yes, 12€ used on Amazon.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

cereal eater posted:

it was a point and click action/rpg for the computer from maybe 12-15 years ago. There was a large white glove in the game. Thats it :( hope you guys can help me
Sounds like The Legend of Kyrandia II: The Hand of Fate.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Keru posted:

Are you thinking of Slipstream 5000 by any chance? http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/slipstream-5000
Yes, it is! I love you!

Niymeh
Sep 11, 2001

"It's very cold, my friend. Very dark, and very cold."
Another game for you guys to help me with...

It's from the mid to late 90s, for the PC/Windows.

Mech-like combat, but everything has an ancient Egyptian feel to it. I definitely remember different NPCs or Mechs having the names of Egyptian gods.

jonypawks
Dec 1, 2003

"Why didn't you tell me you were the real Snake?" -- Ken

Niymeh posted:

Another game for you guys to help me with...

It's from the mid to late 90s, for the PC/Windows.

Mech-like combat, but everything has an ancient Egyptian feel to it. I definitely remember different NPCs or Mechs having the names of Egyptian gods.

Scarab?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain_duck posted:

This kind of reminds me of chakan, a genesis / megadrive game:

http://www.consoleclassix.com/genesis/chakan.html
Now that I think about it a Mega Drive controller seems right. And those screenshots and description, it's definitely what I was thinking of. I salute your knowledge of old games featuring alchemy.

An easier one, pretty sure it was the PS1, a racing with big 4WD cars that could drive up walls in tunnels and such, the wheels were bigger than the cars so you could flip over and it didn't matter. I want to call it Rebound but that's the name of the remote control car I had which was basically identical to the cars in this game.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 17, 2008

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

An easier one, pretty sure it was the PS1, a racing with big 4WD cars that could drive up walls in tunnels and such, the wheels were bigger than the cars so you could flip over and it didn't matter. I want to call it Rebound but that's the name of the remote control car I had which was basically identical to the cars in this game.

That's Rollcage, and it was great.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

I've got one that just popped into my head and is driving me nuts. It's hard to believe I didn't imagine it up, especially since I don't recall ever even beating the first mission. This could mean the game sucked eggs, but I'm being driven by pure desire to know.

But way back when, I rented a game that was either for the PS1 or N64, and it was a strategy game I believe. Could have been real time or turn based, but it did have that overhead isometric view that we all know and love.

All I can really remember is that you summoned elemental golems to fight on your side. The thing is, I seem to recall these being mapped to the C-buttons on the N64 controller, but I've looked over the N64 release list and nothing is sparking a memory. That's all I can remember. :v:

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Skyelan posted:

I've got one that just popped into my head and is driving me nuts. It's hard to believe I didn't imagine it up, especially since I don't recall ever even beating the first mission. This could mean the game sucked eggs, but I'm being driven by pure desire to know.

But way back when, I rented a game that was either for the PS1 or N64, and it was a strategy game I believe. Could have been real time or turn based, but it did have that overhead isometric view that we all know and love.

All I can really remember is that you summoned elemental golems to fight on your side. The thing is, I seem to recall these being mapped to the C-buttons on the N64 controller, but I've looked over the N64 release list and nothing is sparking a memory. That's all I can remember. :v:

One of the few, if not only strategy RPG's on the N64 is ogre battle 64. It is that probably. Or maybe a fire emblem game, allthough i dont think those were in english back then.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH
I used to go to a friend's house to play on her Sega Genesis. Should be around 1992/1993/1994, there's this side-scrolling game, kinda like Contra/Megaman. The character you play has two rings with him, and through out the game you will acquire more magical rings, and by combining two different rings you can shoot out different types of projectiles, e.g. one combination shoots a straight laser, another shoots a slow laser on a wavy path, etc.

I remember it being a pretty badass game, but it's been waaaaay too long.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Tsunemori posted:

I used to go to a friend's house to play on her Sega Genesis. Should be around 1992/1993/1994, there's this side-scrolling game, kinda like Contra/Megaman. The character you play has two rings with him, and through out the game you will acquire more magical rings, and by combining two different rings you can shoot out different types of projectiles, e.g. one combination shoots a straight laser, another shoots a slow laser on a wavy path, etc.

That sounds kinda like Gunstar Heroes.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Here's are a few that have been bugging me for some time:

1) An old Action Platformer for the PC from the late 80s or early 90s, I think it was shareware or had a shareware version. The game was level-based, and I believe it played similarly to the Commander Keen series, but with a distinct focus on zombie/monster enemies.

The title sequence had the screen covered in a downward flow of blood, and I think I remember having to collect items which could interact with the level to open up areas, one or more of which took place inside a house. There was probably a graveyard level too. And for whatever obscure reason I think glue was a recurring item.

2) A 2-player PC game (from one of those 2000 game collections) that had vaguely similar gameplay to Gauntlet. The screen would switch to and from a splitscreen mode in a disruptive way when the players would seperate and rejoin. Between levels, players could buy guns or chainsaws (for melee attack strength) as well as health(?).

3)A simplistic 2 player NES game with an overhead view where you ran around a field of grass without many (if any) walls or obstacles and punched(?) various objects for score. After some time the screen would switch to a timed bonus level before going back (possibly when a player walked into a door icon).

Hanton
Apr 14, 2007
You wanna piece?
Ok, I got one. It was a point and click for the pc in the mid 90s, and you started in your apartment. You also had this doll of this weird surfer guy with no shirt on, and I think you may have used him to perform actions etc. The start of the game also involved you putting white paint into this guys tea, as you had no milk.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Hanton posted:

Ok, I got one. It was a point and click for the pc in the mid 90s, and you started in your apartment. You also had this doll of this weird surfer guy with no shirt on, and I think you may have used him to perform actions etc. The start of the game also involved you putting white paint into this guys tea, as you had no milk.

Normality

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So, there's this game I played when I was little. I, unfortunately, don't remember a whole lot about it, and I had a very limited understanding as to how the game actually worked.

It was a 2D Dungeon Crawler type of game. The graphics were really primitive. There was very little animation if any. You could choose your gender. The male was a really beefy guy in blue underwear, I don't think he was wearing anything else. And I remember there being a lot of shops in the place you start off in. You could also save, a feature I did often because I had no idea how to play it and just ran around dicking around at things. There were bandits who randomly pickpocketed you when you attacked, but I think you got your stuff back if you managed to kill them.

Oh, and here's something I remembered just as I was typing this, you get equip something and find out that it's cursed! You were unable to remove it.

Jeez I know that all sounds vague but that's all I can come up with. If anyone knows I'd love to hear it.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Zerstorung posted:

3)A simplistic 2 player NES game with an overhead view where you ran around a field of grass without many (if any) walls or obstacles and punched(?) various objects for score. After some time the screen would switch to a timed bonus level before going back (possibly when a player walked into a door icon).

This sounds like Kung-Fu Heroes.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Oh wow I found it, figures I would find it like 30 minutes after posting while looking for it all day. Was stumbling around MobyGames when I discovered a 'Rogue variants' page. It's Castle of the Winds.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1079381290-00.gif

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Zerstorung posted:

Here's are a few that have been bugging me for some time:

1) An old Action Platformer for the PC from the late 80s or early 90s, I think it was shareware or had a shareware version. The game was level-based, and I believe it played similarly to the Commander Keen series, but with a distinct focus on zombie/monster enemies.

The title sequence had the screen covered in a downward flow of blood, and I think I remember having to collect items which could interact with the level to open up areas, one or more of which took place inside a house. There was probably a graveyard level too. And for whatever obscure reason I think glue was a recurring item.

2) A 2-player PC game (from one of those 2000 game collections) that had vaguely similar gameplay to Gauntlet. The screen would switch to and from a splitscreen mode in a disruptive way when the players would seperate and rejoin. Between levels, players could buy guns or chainsaws (for melee attack strength) as well as health(?).

1. Dangerous Dave 2/3 maybe?

2. Cyberdogs?

Just a few guesses to what came to mind immediately.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

ponzicar posted:

That sounds kinda like Gunstar Heroes.
Unfortunately no, it's set in a fantasy/medieval-ish setting, more in the lines of Castlevania than Contra, really. I don't think the characters were drawn chibi at all either.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

There was a futuristic racing game that I played on the PC in the early/mid 90s, and it was like you were on a game show and racing to save your life or something. I remember that a couple of the prizes you won were "A night out with yourself" and a book written by the host of the show.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
This is a game I desperately want to play again. I believe I played it on an older Apple. It was black and white, and it was in the fashion of a text adventure game, but with graphics that had limited interactivity. You would play from a first person perspective, move from background to background like a castle or a forest and enemies could appear, or items, and you could attack or pick things up by clicking on them. You could access your full list of commands from drop down menus and you could also just type your commands.

I remember starting in a castle. There were forest regions with cannibals who could cook you, you could try to get out of the pot and escape but sometimes they'd push you back in. You could fight a black knight, and I believe there were also spells. There was a beach region, a cave, a bridge. It was the coolest thing I'd ever played as a kid, and I remember dying a lot.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ok does anyone remember this game? It was for the NES. You were a caveman or something and you could find these creatures, like dinosaurs or something, and would get to ride them around or use their abilities. There were different "dinos" or whatever and I think there were several sequels to the game.

I don't think it was Adventure Island tho...but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Hockles posted:

There was a futuristic racing game that I played on the PC in the early/mid 90s, and it was like you were on a game show and racing to save your life or something. I remember that a couple of the prizes you won were "A night out with yourself" and a book written by the host of the show.

That sounds like Megarace to me, but I can't be sure, I never played it (it does come up a lot in these threads) http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/megarace

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Keru posted:

That sounds like Megarace to me! http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/megarace

Holy poo poo, that's it! You rule!

Niymeh
Sep 11, 2001

"It's very cold, my friend. Very dark, and very cold."

jonypawks posted:

Scarab?

That's it! Thank you!

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Captain_duck posted:

One of the few, if not only strategy RPG's on the N64 is ogre battle 64. It is that probably. Or maybe a fire emblem game, allthough i dont think those were in english back then.

I can say with the utmost certainty it wasn't Ogre Battle. I rented that on a separate occasion and played the gently caress out of it. Like I said, I only had the feeling that it used C-buttons, it's probably my memories getting muddled.

I'm going out on a limb, but I seem to recall the golems were represented by objects, like cards, or slates or stones or something.

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!
Anyone remembers a PC game from about 93-94 which was a kind of "minigame compilation" with a minigame that consisted of packing stuff to luggages in ways so it would fit. Supposedly in later levels there was more than one luggage involved. I know it's not much info to go by, but who knows.

Edit: It might've been suitcase instead of luggage

Ota_Himuro fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 19, 2008

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Rudger posted:

This sounds like Kung-Fu Heroes.

Social Animal posted:

1. Dangerous Dave 2/3 maybe?

2. Cyberdogs?

Just a few guesses to what came to mind immediately.

Kung-Fu Heroes and Cyberdogs are right, thanks a ton; #1 wasn't Dangerous Dave.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Lowness 72 posted:

Ok does anyone remember this game? It was for the NES. You were a caveman or something and you could find these creatures, like dinosaurs or something, and would get to ride them around or use their abilities. There were different "dinos" or whatever and I think there were several sequels to the game.

Any ideas?

That sounds a lot like Joe & Mac: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_&_Mac. I didn't own an NES though, but it says it was released for it.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!

Faldoncow posted:

That sounds a lot like Joe & Mac: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_&_Mac. I didn't own an NES though, but it says it was released for it.
Joe and Mac don't ride dinosaurs outside of stage gimmicks - it's probably one of the Adventure Island games, though I don't know why it's so hard to look at them. Don't think there's dinosaurs in the first, anyway.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ota_Himuro posted:

Anyone remembers a PC game from about 93-94 which was a kind of "minigame compilation" with a minigame that consisted of packing stuff to luggages in ways so it would fit. Supposedly in later levels there was more than one luggage involved. I know it's not much info to go by, but who knows.

Edit: It might've been suitcase instead of luggage

Ugh I think this was already posted in this thread but I can't remember the drat name. I remember seeing photos of it on mobygames just the other week too.

FukFallingDamage
Oct 31, 2004

What's in the briefcase? Doom.
It was featured as a demo in an old issue of PC Gamer and it involved floating islands going around and shooting at each other. I know nothing else.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

FukFallingDamage posted:

It was featured as a demo in an old issue of PC Gamer and it involved floating islands going around and shooting at each other. I know nothing else.

You might be thinking of Netstorm, if it was an RTS. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/netstorm-islands-at-war

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Tsunemori posted:

This is definitely Jewel Master.

Lowness 72 posted:

Any ideas?

Take a second look at Adventure Island 2 and 3, because it sounds a lot like one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FukFallingDamage
Oct 31, 2004

What's in the briefcase? Doom.

Keru posted:

You might be thinking of Netstorm, if it was an RTS. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/netstorm-islands-at-war

The idea is close, but I remember this game having almost a 3rd person shooter perspective. Also, does anyone remember the name of an underwater Descent-like game that I think was on the Dreamcast?