Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Stux posted:

Excuse the terrible quality:

So when should we expect clips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

Stux posted:

Excuse the terrible quality:

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

I really like that black Orange cab....I'd seen one on ebay ages back, but I thought it was some sort of custom order.

I've got an Orange 2x12 as well, and it's the most massive sounding 2x12 out there. I use mine with a JCM800 though.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

And seriously, it sounds good. I chopped up a drumloop, put a mild preset over it and the drums got oomph and suddenly I could use 'm for a d'n'b track.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Los Padre posted:

So when should we expect clips?

When the Motu and nt2a/sm57 get here :)

quote:

I really like that black Orange cab....I'd seen one on ebay ages back, but I thought it was some sort of custom order.

I've got an Orange 2x12 as well, and it's the most massive sounding 2x12 out there. I use mine with a JCM800 though.

Yeah I tried this thing through a marshall 4x12 with the same speakers (v30s) and it sounded poo poo compared to this thing. Amazing how much difference the construction and design of the cab can make.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Question:

I am thinking about getting a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the 90s Made in Japan versions versus the current Mexican and/or American versions. Anyone know?

Edit: Also, any info about the post-CBS vintage era (1965-mid 70s)? I know they are less valuable than pre-CBS, but is the quality total crap or do they have a cool vibe as well?

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 21, 2008

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

if all goes well I'll be adding a Parker nitefly to this thread on Monday, woo hoo!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rashomon posted:

Question:

I am thinking about getting a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the 90s Made in Japan versions versus the current Mexican and/or American versions. Anyone know?

Edit: Also, any info about the post-CBS vintage era (1965-mid 70s)? I know they are less valuable than pre-CBS, but is the quality total crap or do they have a cool vibe as well?

Do some research and you'll find out the Japanese re-issues are more true to the classic instruments than the Mexican re-issues (with the exception of the CIJ Jag HH's), but the mexi ri's have upgraded a bunch of "personal choice" things that players might find appealing, like a flatter radius neck, larger frets, TOM style bridge etc etc.

The american re-issues are the better of all of them in my opinion if you want a no frills Jaguar/Jazzmaster, they're totally solid, and the american Jaguars are the only ones with the cool bridge mute.

Basically do some research and post some questions about Jaguars and I can help you out. I'm not big on Jazzmasters but I can answer some questions.

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him
The main complaint I've always seen about the Japanese Jaguars and Jazzmasters is that they don't use the vintage style pickups and use weird knock off ones but a pickup replacement wouldn't be that big of a deal considering how much you would save on the guitar itself over the American reissue. I lucked into finding a reissue Jaguar that was used in really good condition (it had a scratch on the back) and saved a few hundred on it.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.

Yoozer posted:

And seriously, it sounds good. I chopped up a drumloop, put a mild preset over it and the drums got oomph and suddenly I could use 'm for a d'n'b track.
I've been putting Devastator on everything lately. It's awesome.

I've got about $2500-3000 that I'm putting towards a new guitar rig. Probably going to look something like:
Mesa Dual Rec
Furman Power Conditioner
Korg Rack Tuner (already bought)
GCX Switcher & Ground Control
Maxon 820 Tubescreamer (already bought)
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Eventide TimeFactor Delay (just ordered, a friend just bought one of these and has been gigging with it and it sounds really awesome)
Some kind of octave and lead boost pedals
Big rear end rack/road case of some variety (if anyone has any recommendations here, I'd love to hear them)

And I've already got a Marshall 1960 cab which I'll either put a V30 or two in or sell and get a Mesa cab.

gingivitis the wart fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 21, 2008

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mugendai posted:

The main complaint I've always seen about the Japanese Jaguars and Jazzmasters is that they don't use the vintage style pickups and use weird knock off ones but a pickup replacement wouldn't be that big of a deal considering how much you would save on the guitar itself over the American reissue. I lucked into finding a reissue Jaguar that was used in really good condition (it had a scratch on the back) and saved a few hundred on it.

CIJ Jag pickups are a bit weak, but true to vintage spec. CIJ Jazzmaster pickups on the other hand are not even anything near what the american pups are in terms of shape, construction or sound. The RI you picked up, where was it made?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

gumplunger posted:

I've been putting Devastator on everything lately. It's awesome.

I've got about $2500-3000 that I'm putting towards a new guitar rig. Probably going to look something like:
Mesa Dual Rec
Furman Power Conditioner
Korg Rack Tuner (already bought)
GCX Switcher & Ground Control
Maxon 820 Tubescreamer (already bought)
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Eventide TimeFactor Delay (just ordered, a friend just bought one of these and has been gigging with it and it sounds really awesome)
Some kind of octave and lead boost pedals
Big rear end rack/road case of some variety (if anyone has any recommendations here, I'd love to hear them)

And I've already got a Marshall 1960 cab which I'll either put a V30 or two in or sell and get a Mesa cab.

No noise gate?

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

Stux posted:

No noise gate?
Ah I almost forgot. Anybody recommend anything aside from the Boss NS-2?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
ISP Decimator?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

the wizards beard posted:

ISP Decimator?

Yeah basically. The rackmount version is pretty much the best noise gate for guitar right now. You have two gates on the one unit, one goes infront of your amp and reduces noise from your guitar, the other goes into the effect loop and reduces noise from your amp.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've heard the rack one is great, but they make a pedal now with two gates thats much cheaper.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

the wizards beard posted:

I've heard the rack one is great, but they make a pedal now with two gates thats much cheaper.

I guess, but I havn't really heard much about it. Also if hes already spending as much as he is (and on rack stuff too) its not going to hurt too much.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

NEED MORE GEAR AAAAAAA

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I hadn't heard of the Decimator before, looks like a good solution. Thanks for that.

Krazny_Oktyabr
Nov 12, 2002
I posted this in the pedalboard thread, but might as well share it here too. I picked up the Line6 M13. It's pretty cool overall.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Latest acquisition (family heirloom of sorts from pops):

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

And my bass

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This room is becoming a tribute to Leo Fender:

What's new is the Stingray, which replaced my former Stingray HH, the L-2000, and the MIM Jazz lying on top of the case.

The MIM Jazz and L-2000 will be up for trade/sale soon. The L-2000 has been around the block and currently has a neck from a Legacy Bass that has seen some repairs. It plays fine but the G&L sound doesn't quite do it for me. The Jazz was cheap and in decent shape, but I already have an American and another MIM and I really don't need three of the same bass.

Bought some pedals too:

The Rusty Box is meant to sound like the Traynor TS50B and it does a good job at it. Some more info at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375523 and http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24845

The VT Bass is supposed to emulate various Ampeg amps, but its not a simple turn it on and you have the sound like the Rusty Box is. You need to spend some time dialing in the sound, and the suggested settings in the manual are pretty lousy. (Those aren't my settings on either pedal, I just pulled them out of a bag for the shot).

I'll try to bump the Bass Tone thread this week with some clips of both.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So I'd been meaning to get an amp for a while instead of using crappy line-in on my MacBook, and I saw this thing up on Craigslist for $150. Two hours later, I'm carrying it home.

Of course, after schlepping the thing halfway across town, my arms are too drat tired to play with it much, but I'm sure it's a great impulse purchase. :v:

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

I picked up one of the new Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonics today, mostly because it's beautiful and cheap. But people have been saying really great things about the build quality and pickups on these and this one is no exception. I'm really happy with it:)

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Wow, that's gorgeous.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I know right? You'd think they'd make a fender equivalent model

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me
Incoming! :hampants:

So very excited. I nearly caved and bought the Seek Trem too but sensibility kicked in before my mouse reached the Buy It Now button.

That Squier looks awesome. It's interesting to hear their build quality is being talked up. It'd have to be at least 12 or 13 years since I last played a Squier and I don't have very good memories. Squier or not, there's no way I could pass that one by without giving it a whirl.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
More stuff

Need a better stand for it and havn't setup the midi for the sliders etc, but so far it seems very nice.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
A pickguard counts as new gear, right?

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Handen posted:

I think we were going to demand a "building of" thread of that beast anyway. This is just the more suspenseful version.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Handen posted:

I would play this. I mean, as it is right now. I'd play it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Los Padre posted:

I think we were going to demand a "building of" thread of that beast anyway. This is just the more suspenseful version.

You can follow along as I post at the Shortscale forums if you really want, maybe I'll post a thread here later but right now it seems unnecessary.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18783

Tehdude posted:

I bet the Graphtech preamps will show up in the mail in a day or two, then all I need is to order the pots for the passive electronics and some knobs to make it playable. I can just take the neck from one of my other Jaguars if I really wanted to, and I might, but I'd rather wait for the guy who makes aluminum necks anyway because I don't have anything to plug the MIDI into my computer once it's built yet anyway. v:)v

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Tehdude posted:

Drumsticks would probably be kind of rough on the finish.

I don't think the sound would carry too well, either.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
question about those pickups built into the bridge: I always see pictures of them where the wires are just hanging out and crammed back under the pickguard.. is there any way to install them so that the wires aren't visible at all? That guitar looks awesome by the way.. but what do you mean by aluminum neck? Is it going to be like shiny chrome?

edit: also I'm thinking about building a guitar from scratch just out of blocks of wood.. should I do it or will it end badly?

cylyk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 25, 2008

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

cylyk posted:

question about those pickups built into the bridge: I always see pictures of them where the wires are just hanging out and crammed back under the pickguard.. is there any way to install them so that the wires aren't visible at all?

In that guitar, no. Since each saddle has its own wire, and the tune-o-matic bridge sits above the body, there will always be some sort of distance the wires must travel where they will still be visible. Theoretically, you could pretty much eliminate the sight of them if you installed the bridge on a guitar that was built with the tune-o-matic bridge recessed and drilled a path from the recess to the control cavity, but that's a very large undertaking and very few guitars are built with recessed tune-o-matic bridges.

quote:

also I'm thinking about building a guitar from scratch just out of blocks of wood.. should I do it or will it end badly?

Yes, you should do it, and yes, it will probably end badly. If you end up completing the guitar, which isn't a definite, it will most likely be nearly unplayable (unless you follow a blueprint or some plans of some sort). Luthiery is easily the most precise of all woodworking trades, and building a guitar from scratch and making it playable takes alot of finesse. Still, depending on how far you get, you will definitely learn quite a bit.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

In that guitar, no.

Ahaha but wait one second. I thought ahead. The pickguard has a third bridge-post sized hole situated right under the bridge. I'll be routing the body a little bit, like the vintage Jaguars with their mute plungers, and connecting it to the pre-existing route for the bridge humbucker and voila - invisible piezo wires. ;)

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Yes, you should do it, and yes, it will probably end badly. If you end up completing the guitar, which isn't a definite, it will most likely be nearly unplayable (unless you follow a blueprint or some plans of some sort). Luthiery is easily the most precise of all woodworking trades, and building a guitar from scratch and making it playable takes alot of finesse. Still, depending on how far you get, you will definitely learn quite a bit.

Yeah I would definitely use plans or maybe even buy some routing templates for whatever style guitar I want to make. I kind of want to make a Les Paul special type guitar, but having to route the neck pocket at a certain angle will probably be hard, so maybe I should make a fender style bass or something. Either way, yeah I will probably gently caress it up but it would be interesting at least.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Handen posted:

Ahaha but wait one second. I thought ahead. The pickguard has a third bridge-post sized hole situated right under the bridge. I'll be routing the body a little bit, like the vintage Jaguars with their mute plungers, and connecting it to the pre-existing route for the bridge humbucker and voila - invisible piezo wires. ;)

I've seen people put string ferrules in a hole directly underneath the bridge and route them through there.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
o shi

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
wanna play with that wood :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Handen posted:

But unless the bridge sits recessed within the body, the strings still have to travel the fraction of an inch down to the body, which is what I was talking about. It's not really invisible piezo wires.

quote:

I kind of want to make a Les Paul special type guitar, but having to route the neck pocket at a certain angle will probably be hard

You mean a bolt on? If so, you could just shim the neck. Even major manufacturers did it. Guys at Fender used to do it with pieces of strip club matchbooks. You'll sacrifice tone, but chances are you'll make enough fuckups on your first guitar that it won't really matter.