Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Sefer posted:

Of course, maybe V just wanted to make sure there wasn't any evidence that the Order had killed a powerful nobleman lying around.

"So, uh, Lord Hinjo? He's . . . he's, uh, he left the boat. But look at this cool armor I found! Completely unrelated to Lord Hinjo's departure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The only one who could use that armor anyway is durkon.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

ZorbaTHut posted:

"So, uh, Lord Hinjo? He's . . . he's, uh, he left the boat. But look at this cool armor I found! Completely unrelated to Lord Hinjo's departure."

This would be a slightly different story if V had just vaporized Hinjo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, I admit I laughed out loud at this one. That was a breath of fresh air.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
At first I was a little worried about the sith lord look V's got going on, but suddenly I'm completely for it. WEIRD.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
V is very Raistlin lately.

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot

Vanadium posted:

What if you genocide an evil race? :colbert:

Didn't change the Sapphire Guard that did it in Start of Darkness.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Motherfuckin' elf out of nowhere!

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Haha. Brilliant setup for the joke. Goddamn.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Enderwastaken posted:

Didn't change the Sapphire Guard that did it in Start of Darkness.

They don't actually genocide the goblin race, they just slaughter Redcloak's village.

You also get the story from Redcloak's perspective. It seems highly unlikely that the goblins were as innocent as they appeared, what with the worship of the evil god who is enacting a plan to unravel creation.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
The combination of the rings around V's eyes and the difference in their size for perspective's sake makes him/her look really cross-eyed.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
he just wants equality for Goblinkind, unravelling creation is like Plan F

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

Zoolooman posted:

Haha. Brilliant setup for the joke. Goddamn.
Fuckin' A. I wish this were Hackmaster so that V could get some Contempt Points (or whatever it is they do there.)

Anyway, Alignment? Sheesh, when has that ever mattered to this webcomic, other than as the punchline to a joke?

Really, I'm more upset that Burlew didn't point it out. Although maybe he's saving it for a later strip.

Elan: "hey, back when that guy manipulated the law to keep me from killing him, it actually worked even though I'm a Bard. What's up with that?"
Durkon: "Aye, well, lad, thar's somethin' I bin meanin' tae tell ya..."
Elan: "What? Is my fly down?"
Durkon: "er...yes, but what I mean is...well, ye've been doin' Good and upholding Law for so long that your Alignment's gone and changed."
Elan: "...you mean..."
Durkon: "Aye. Welcome tae Lawful Good, my son!" (holds out his arms for a hug.)
Elan: "No! You're an illusion! I disbelieve! (sings) Disbelieve, Disbelieve, Disbelieve the illusion..."
Durkon: "...it's not gonna work any more, kid."
Elan: "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Scopedog fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 24, 2008

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Oh, please, Elan more than makes up for any lawful actions with his personality.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
New strip up.

Click here for the full 732x933 image.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I didn't think he'd top the previous strip, but I certainly got a laugh out of this one.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Aww, Elan is illusioning himself friends...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

drat. You tell him Elan!

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

rantmo posted:

drat. You tell him Elan!
Yes, that's surprisingly intelligent coming from him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rock on, elf buddy!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Today's was awesome.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
That was awesome, but it makes me miss the V/Belkar dynamic so very much. :(

(Happy? Huh?)

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 26, 2008

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Nomenklatura posted:

That was awesome, but it makes me miss the V/Balkar dynamic so very much. :(

You're not missing it enough if you can't spell Belkar correctly.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
That last panel was the first time in a long time I've actually burst out cackling at something. Rock on, Burlew guy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
All we need now is a reason for the Elan crew to ditch Hinjo and the fleet and get on with saving the world and ressurect Roy.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
At the risk of geeking out in an already geeky thread, anyone else get the impression that Hinjo is a late-commer PC rather than an NPC? Several times we've seen him in combat with "other" NPCs without the PCs or just before the PCs could get involved. IF we was just another NPC wouldn't that be the GM playing with himself? Every game I've played or ran, that sort of thing was flavor text or handled 'off screen'. Of course, the whole comic gets really complicated when you try and step back and picture the people playing the game.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Geshtal posted:

At the risk of geeking out in an already geeky thread, anyone else get the impression that Hinjo is a late-commer PC rather than an NPC? Several times we've seen him in combat with "other" NPCs without the PCs or just before the PCs could get involved. IF we was just another NPC wouldn't that be the GM playing with himself? Every game I've played or ran, that sort of thing was flavor text or handled 'off screen'. Of course, the whole comic gets really complicated when you try and step back and picture the people playing the game.

Burlew's stated that Belkar is an NPC, so not necessarily.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We've also seen exchanges that were completely between NPCs before; everything that happens with Red Cloak and Xylophone is basically the DM playing with NPCs, as was the stuff with the Oracle after the most recent visit. Didn't we have some exchanges with Therkla and her demon friend with no PC present?

I mean its supposed to be a DnD game, but its also a comic strip and an interesting story. Its not going to always fit perfectly.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

I figure Hinjo started as an NPC, but with Roy out of the main plotline for now the DM handed his player Hinjo's reins just to keep him involved.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

NutShellBill posted:

Burlew's stated that Belkar is an NPC, so not necessarily.

Wait, what? I thought the whole original group were PCs?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Don't forget the scene where Belkar kills the second Kobold who came to avenge his father by leading the fight into a tavern of "PCs." I think in this story, they just explicitly call any adventurer a PC instead of the usual euphamism, "adventurers." It IS a comic meant partly to mock the conventions of D&D, after all.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Wait, what? I thought the whole original group were PCs?

It's secondhand knowledge from their forums, which I can't find anymore, but the gist of it was that Belkar is a GM played anchor, which was apparently confirmed by Burlew.

Take it with a grain of salt. People say a lot of dumb poo poo on that board.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Wait, what's an anchor? Is this some sort of RPG simulationist/narrativist/punching jargon?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

NutShellBill posted:

It's secondhand knowledge from their forums, which I can't find anymore, but the gist of it was that Belkar is a GM played anchor, which was apparently confirmed by Burlew.

Take it with a grain of salt. People say a lot of dumb poo poo on that board.

I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt. He doesn't fit a GM character in the slightest. GM characters are supposed to fill out a much needed role in a party, usually because there's too few players, and generally lay low and follow the party's lead so as to not influence their choices too much with GM knowledge(with the occasional "you idiots go this way" to keep the game on track).

Belkar is just a munchkin player who's only interest in the game is being a badass and killing things. If anyone's a GM character, it's Durkon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Belkar's also pulled stunts like emoting about his tragic past just to get enough bonus xp to level up, which is hardly a GMPC thing to do. The OotS forums are full of it.

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
New Strip!

full size

Uh oh, I don't like where V is going here.

Taber fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 29, 2008

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
You know, as ominous as V is getting there, it's not the first time s/he has threatened the partys' lives. Remember the black dragon?

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 29, 2008

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

It also isn't the first time he's berated Elan.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html

Difference is, back then he felt bad about it and apologized. This time he followed it up with a serious death threat.

V's Sith Lord falling-to-the-dark-side subplot doesn't sit well with me. The justification just seems too flimsy. "Whelp, my magic isn't powerful enough to overcome an epic spell. Guess I'll be neutral evil then." Yeah, I get that there's other factors, like the shame of the helplessness he felt after running out of spells during the Azure City battle, or maybe guilt for abandoning Haley. The Emperor transformation still doesn't make sense to me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Really? It seems like your standard "losing sight of the forest for the trees" spiral into darkness, to me. Power corrupts, magic is dangerous/addictive (look at the VEINS on that elf), etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Reading those two strips made me realize I miss Roy :(