Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

Some more felted stuff: A wine bottle bag with needle felted heart.

(Cat and wine not included.) :3:

the GIANT WINE COZY DWARFS THE SURROUNDING FLORA AND FAUNA

But no seriously, it looks awesome! Cute cat, too. I'm afraid of felting, though I'm not sure why because from what I have heard it is pretty forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Micomicona posted:

:roflolmao:
Yeah, it's awe inspiring! Bow to the cozy, puny human!

Micomicona posted:

But no seriously, it looks awesome! Cute cat, too. I'm afraid of felting, though I'm not sure why because from what I have heard it is pretty forgiving.
Felting is really fun and forgiving, I love that I don't have to knit super neatly to get great results.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
I make stuffed animals.

Mr Snake turned out to be five feet long, but I put a stripe for almost every color I had so my nephew could learn his colors off of it.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Noisycat

You can see a small list on my Ravelry page. I'm about to toss up a huge update, as my neices have asked for some animals :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

What a cute snake! :)
Your nephew is lucky to have a knitting aunt.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

natashafatale posted:

And now I will show off some of my handspun skeins, hopefully that's not too off topic for this thread:

That is freaking gorgeous, and it's not helping my determination to avoid learning to spin.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Midnight Sun posted:

What a cute snake! :)
Your nephew is lucky to have a knitting aunt.

Thank you! I have lots of little nieces and nephews to knit for, it's great! I can't wait until this one is old enough to want a dinosaur. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Micomicona posted:

Which makes it seem as though there is just enough wine for someone like me. :)

Don't be intimidated by felting. It's lots easier than you might think and the results can be cool.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
So I have been making scarves for years now because they are giant rectangles and therefore very hard to screw up. I've recently started trying more complicated things. I'm about a third of the way through my first sock (I'll post pics when it is done). I also want to make a fancy shawl for my mother for her birthday, so I am trying to follow a pattern for the very first time. Unfortunately I am stuck at the very beginning. :(

It says to use size 8 needles to "cast on 8 join and knit around." Does that mean I should be using circular needles even though it doesn't specify that? Why would I be knitting in the round for a flat shawl?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Whenever a pattern says to knit in the round you will need to use circular needles or double pointed needles.
Some scarves are worked in the round and then blocked flat (Midnight Sun posted a really nice scarf in this thread that's done in the round). The advantage of this method is that you get a thicker scarf, and there's no ugly wrong side, which can be important in case of a 'fancy' pattern.

It's odd that you only have to cast on 8 stitches though, that would make a scarf that's 4 sts wide, unless you have to increase and there's some sort of rounded end to the scarf.

If you need more help you can post the pattern here if you'd like, or if you want to find a different one you might want to have a look at Ravelry to see what's there.

Edit: I misread, I thought you were making a scarf but it's a shawl. I honestly have no idea why you'd knit a shawl in the round since they're generally quite thin and delicate items, not something you'd want folded over.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Tinuviel, do you have a link to the shawl pattern? It sounds weird that you're supposed to knit in the round.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
the pattern is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4155d490c87d1974d2db6fb9a8902bda

Also, I know I am being way to ambitious with this project, but I want to give it a try anyway.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That shawl looks amazing! You will need to use circulars. The pattern appears to be knit from the inside out as a spiral. Several people have knitted it on Ravelry and show progress pics on circulars. If you want to be 100% positive, you could ask the designer on Ravelry (MMario) or go to the his yahoo group, join up and ask there.

Please post pics here when you're done!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, that's stunning. Quite the project to tackle, but I'm sure you can do it :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Whoa, that's way out of my league! :aaaaa:

It looks simply gorgeous, good luck! :)

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
So I'm pretty new to knitting (it's been like, 2 weeks :D) and absolutely loving it so far, so I'm looking to the tools I'll need in the future. Specifically, needle sets and what I should invest in and what I should avoid. In the interest of saving some cash and space in having duplicates, I've been looking into interchangeable circulars that won't break the bank. The Denise set looks good but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the resin (plastic?) and how that feels. I know it's purely subjective, but how do they relate to say, bamboo, or metal needles? I prefer metal, but they're not exactly airport friendly... Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Phishi posted:

So I'm pretty new to knitting (it's been like, 2 weeks :D) and absolutely loving it so far, so I'm looking to the tools I'll need in the future. Specifically, needle sets and what I should invest in and what I should avoid. In the interest of saving some cash and space in having duplicates, I've been looking into interchangeable circulars that won't break the bank. The Denise set looks good but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the resin (plastic?) and how that feels. I know it's purely subjective, but how do they relate to say, bamboo, or metal needles? I prefer metal, but they're not exactly airport friendly... Any advice would be appreciated. :)
I don't recommend the Denise set, the needles feel like spaghetti. (I've only tried the smaller ones, I guess the bigger needles are ok.)

The Knit Picks set looks gorgeous, but I haven't tried it myself. I also prefer metal needles.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Midnight Sun posted:

I don't recommend the Denise set, the needles feel like spaghetti. (I've only tried the smaller ones, I guess the bigger needles are ok.)

The Knit Picks set looks gorgeous, but I haven't tried it myself. I also prefer metal needles.

Exactly the input I was looking for, thank you! Now if only the Options set had a 16 or 17" cable... but they've only got 24 and up.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Phishi posted:

Exactly the input I was looking for, thank you! Now if only the Options set had a 16 or 17" cable... but they've only got 24 and up.
That's too bad. I only ever use the smaller cables, too.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Phishi posted:

Get the longer cables. Once you go Magic Loop, you never look back. I bought a full set of DPNs that I regret now that I've tried magic loop on circulars.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Bad Mitten posted:

Get the longer cables. Once you go Magic Loop, you never look back. I bought a full set of DPNs that I regret now that I've tried magic loop on circulars.

Well, I KNOW the larger ones would come in handy. But smaller ones would be nice too, for those mid-size things to do on circulars, like hats, and big scarves. (I have a lot of family who could use big, warm tubular scarves. :) ) Should I just buy the few smaller ones I'll need for those?

Also, how portable is magic loop knitting? It doesn't seem the easiest to finagle that in and out of a bag... If it's possible though, I'm all over that!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Phishi posted:

Well, I KNOW the larger ones would come in handy. But smaller ones would be nice too, for those mid-size things to do on circulars, like hats, and big scarves. (I have a lot of family who could use big, warm tubular scarves. :) ) Should I just buy the few smaller ones I'll need for those?

Also, how portable is magic loop knitting? It doesn't seem the easiest to finagle that in and out of a bag... If it's possible though, I'm all over that!

You can use magic loop for smaller things as well, that's the beauty of it!
It's very easy to take with you, too, you just get to the end of a round, which means that half your stitches will be in the middle of the cable and the other half will be on your right needle. Then you move the stitches so that they're both on 1/3 of the cable (so you have a little bit of cable sticking out on one side and the needles on the other), or you can even just move them all together into the middle of the cable (as long as you can easily count the stitches and split them in two again).

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I don't really know my in-laws all that well, apart from my husband's immediate family. So I was a little surprised to find a package on my doorstep, addressed to me, from his grandmother. The only time we've ever met was at the wedding. We get a yearly Christmas card from her, and sometimes a card for his birthday.

The paper wrapping was torn, so I could tell right away that it was a book. My timing was really drat lucky, because 15-20 minutes after I got the mail it started raining. My poor book would have been soaked.

I tore the paper the rest of the way off, and found a really nice hardcover copy of The Principles of Knitting, by June Hemmons Hiatt. Over 500 pages of technique info, including detailed photos and illustrations. It's like an advanced version of that awesome Vogue Knitting book. I just counted 30 cast-ons. To be fair, many of them are specific variations that you could choose depending on what type of fabric you're about to work on. But still, there are 30 different cast-on versions that the author thought were worth mentioning under separate headings. I'm kind of scared to look at the increases or decreases sections.

There are instructions for intarsia, fair isle, mosaic knitting, double knitting, duplicate stitch and embroidery, felting, adding beads or sequins, and pretty much every other thing I could think of to look for. There are sections about some things I'd never heard of. There are three pages (including drawings) about how to fix dropped stitches. It's kind of overwhelming, and I'm not nearly a good enough knitter to make effective use of some of this stuff. But even the parts I'll probably never use are interesting to read about, and it's kind of reassuring to know that the next time I screw something up I'll have such a thorough resource to check.

I've been hearing this book mentioned on different sites for as long as I've been knitting, but it's out of print and used copies are really pricey. I think this one may have been her personal copy, though I'm not exactly sure because there was no note inside. I'm about to start on the thank you note, but I thought I'd share the mind-blowing concept of 30 different cast-ons first.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

deety posted:

I've been hearing this book mentioned on different sites for as long as I've been knitting, but it's out of print and used copies are really pricey. I think this one may have been her personal copy, though I'm not exactly sure because there was no note inside. I'm about to start on the thank you note, but I thought I'd share the mind-blowing concept of 30 different cast-ons first.

GASP I thought there was only one! :saddowns:

ninja edit: I'm joking, I just hear it a lot.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
Dear knitting goons,

I can't knit for the life of me, but I found an adorable hat that my boyfriend wants for winter that's not sold in stores. It's this Mega-Man hat! Would any of you want to knit this hat? I'll pay you via PayPal or check for it -- we can negotiate the amount via PM or email. Please let me know. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm not too sure where else to turn to, so I'll ask here. I just picked up Knitalong and I've fallen in love with a pattern for a felted paper crane. There's just one problem.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure this pattern out.

Everything goes fine and dandy till I get to this point.:

Row 4: CO 2 stitches, knit till end. (18 sts)

Row 5: CO 2 stitches, purl till end. (20 sts)

6-11: Repeat rows 4-5. (32 sts)

Easy so far. Then this happens!

Row 7: BO 2 stitches, work to end. (30 sts)

8-12: Repeat Row 7 (20 sts)

So...what the hell do I do? It sounds like for rows 7-11 I CO and BO 2 each time, but that really doesn't seem to make any sense. The numbers wouldn't be decreasing, and I'd just be binding off something I just casted on. It's getting to the point where I'm going to re-write the pattern from scratch.

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Wandering Knitter posted:

Row 7: BO 2 stitches, work to end. (30 sts)
By "work" I think it just means "knit or purl, depending." That way you would be decreasing by 2 every row.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

By "work" I think it just means "knit or purl, depending." That way you would be decreasing by 2 every row.

But what about the "6-11 repeat 4-5"? Wouldn't that mean I'd have to CO as well as BO on those rows?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Oh, weird, I just saw your issue -- I didn't realize the numbers overlapped. Do you know what kind of shape you're trying to make at that point in the pattern?

Based on looking at a small and none-too-clear jpg of the result, I would think the numbering is just wrong and it might mean this:

Row 4: CO 2 stitches, knit till end. (18 sts)
Row 5: CO 2 stitches, purl till end. (20 sts)
Row 6: CO 2 stitches, knit till end. (22 sts)
Row 7: CO 2 stitches, purl till end. (24 sts)
Row 8: CO 2 stitches, knit till end. (26 sts)
Row 9: CO 2 stitches, purl till end. (28 sts)
Row 10: CO 2 stitches, knit till end. (30 sts)
Row 11: CO 2 stitches, purl till end. (32 sts)

Row 12: BO 2, knit to end (30)
Row 13: BO 2, purl to end (28)
Row 14: BO 2, k to end (26)
Row 15: BO 2, p to end (24)
Row 16: BO 2, k to end (22)
Row 17: BO 2, p to end (20)

Or maybe for 7-11 it would be BO 2, then CO 2, then do whatever to end -- but then you wouldn't get the decreases you need, so that can't be it. Can you tell us what part of the crane you're making so we can at least try to figure out what shape you should be winding up with?

Otherwise, how are you liking Knitalong? I love the Doppio Gauntlets and especially the Eden Scarf to pieces, but not much else of the book really appeals to me, and the libraries here don't have it :argh:

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

the numbering is just wrong...

Agreed. According to Ravelry, this crane by Seann McKeel is the one in the book (or based on). It has the CO rows completed before the BO rows start.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

A very nice and well thought out pattern.

That looks a lot better. I'll give this a shot right after I finish with Crane Experiment #3.

Anne Whateley posted:

Can you tell us what part of the crane you're making so we can at least try to figure out what shape you should be winding up with?

It's supposed to be shaping the wings. Honestly, when I first saw the picture I thought I would be knitting the neck/body/tail and then picking up the stitches for the wings. In fact, that's the experiment I'm working on at the moment.

Anne Whateley posted:

Otherwise, how are you liking Knitalong? I love the Doppio Gauntlets and especially the Eden Scarf to pieces, but not much else of the book really appeals to me, and the libraries here don't have it :argh:

Pretty much those two patterns and the cranes. I guess I like the pinwheel blanket, but that pattern's as old as the internet as far as I can tell. It's not a great book, but my Mom picked it up when she saw the cranes. She knows I've been going nuts over the past month trying to think of a good Christmas present to make people and thought of me. :shobon: Oh Mom.

Nrapture posted:

Agreed. According to Ravelry, this crane by Seann McKeel is the one in the book (or based on). It has the CO rows completed before the BO rows start.

And this pattern makes perfect sense! Guess they decided to shorten the pattern for the book (it's on a single page) and messed things up. Thank you, both of you, for helping me out. I was afraid I was just missing something painfully obvious in the pattern. :v:

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

Click here for the full 648x486 image.

My first sock! It has some mistakes, but nothing I can't live with.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

TinuvielDancing posted:

Click here for the full 648x486 image.

My first sock! It has some mistakes, but nothing I can't live with.
Congratulations on your sock! Really cool colors. :)

Grok
Jul 23, 2006

ZOMBIE uses BITE!
It's super effective!
Lipstick Apathy
Any advice on tassels?
It seems to me that they are much more of a pain than they really should be.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Does it look like I really have to put more tassels on this?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Grok posted:

Any advice on tassels?
It seems to me that they are much more of a pain than they really should be.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Does it look like I really have to put more tassels on this?
I think it's cute with those tassels. Kinda looks like an axolotl. :3:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'd add 3-4 more tassels per side, it looks really odd now.

I don't really find tassels that hard to make though, how do you go about it?

Grok
Jul 23, 2006

ZOMBIE uses BITE!
It's super effective!
Lipstick Apathy

elbow posted:

I don't really find tassels that hard to make though, how do you go about it?

I followed these instructions.
It's more of the "getting them to connect to the scarf and not look cruddy" bit that's annoying.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What about fringe instead? That's incredibly easy, and I think it looks better than tassels anyway.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Grok posted:

I followed these instructions.
It's more of the "getting them to connect to the scarf and not look cruddy" bit that's annoying.

Ah, yeah. I just wrap it around a piece of cardboard and then use a crochet hook to pull it through the end of the scarf, that way the thickness of the tassel fills up any hole.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
You know that moment in a project where you are seriously doubting your sanity? Yeah. I'm there riiiight about now.

So 3 weeks ago I decided that for my 'image' project for my Projects class (yes, a Projects project) I was going to incorporate my illustration background with my fibers work and knit a comic book page.

A giant, pixel by pixel comic book page.

So I dyed my yarn, did some ridiculous math to figure out my ratios (which is probably completely wrong) and scanned and pixelated my page of art. And now I have 2 days until my crit, and I know full well that only 2 panels are going to be done. And even then, only if I totally bust my rear end and don't sleep for the next two nights.

But here's what's up so far.

Click here for the full 732x485 image.

And the one I'm currently killing my finger tips with:

I may or may not felt these when it's all done and assembled. I'm not sure right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Wow, that is such an awesome project. Keep at it, you might be surprised at how much you can accomplish.