Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

He said he had a 1991 CBR, which is about 100 at the motor and 80 at the wheel. A big jump up from the original CBR600 Hurricane which only made 80 at the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Morphix posted:

Did the old short stubbies not pass? Or is there some new regulations that passed recently? Because I gotta say, goddamn does the new style look ugly. At least color match it to the frame or the color of the bike, something.

It's more along the lines of "You gotta stuff those catalytic converters in there somewhere". My 2000 VFR is the first year of catalytic converters for that bike, and under the chassis (remarkably well hidden, might I add) is a mass of steel exhaust where the cat is. I'm going to say it's probably responsible for at least an additional 10 lbs of bike mass.

Being that it was a first generation catalytic converter, and that each year the testing seems to be more stringent and tougher to pass, it's not surprising that bikes are ending up with larger exhausts to help pass emissions. At least, that's why I think the exhausts are getting absurdly huge.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bob Morales posted:

He said he had a 1991 CBR, which is about 100 at the motor and 80 at the wheel. A big jump up from the original CBR600 Hurricane which only made 80 at the motor.

Sorry, I have a hard time reconciling "theoretical engine HP" for the same reason that I have an issue with "theoretical dry weight without tires, brake pads, oil, or coolant". What does it do when you twist the throttle, not when it's sitting on an engine stand. ;)

And I was a little confused there because, as you mention, the first number seemed to reflect rwhp pand the second one seemed to reflect engine hp. :)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I'll take a new picture when I get home of my bike. Current picture is before I added a few things and got some matching gear.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MetalClawWolf posted:

Bonus pic of my riding buddy!

Almost bought one of those last week, but I ordered the 690 SMC instead. Dealer reckons it might be here friday...

Please, God, please.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess these fit better here than in the Cycle Pictures and Videos thread, since they arent anything out of the ordinary, just some shots I snapped of my new 1200 Bandit.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Holy poo poo! New bike time! :swoon:

Picked her up today, i went a bit crazy with the Suzuki options and had a load installed as part of the purchase price to save a bit of money installing them over time.

2008 SV650S ABS with
- Half polished rims
- Taller dark screen
- Different hand grips
- Tank protector
- Crash sliders
- Radiator guard
- Yoshimura exhaust

Not a dealer option but also opted for FULL comprehensive insurance instead of 3rd party fire and theft like my last bike. This baby is going to be protected.

Click here for the full 960x540 image.

Ha ha thats not for girls, you cant even reach the ground!

Japanese exhaust, from America, sold in Australia?

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

2km during Pre-delivery, and 4km home.

Goodnight sweet prince, ill see you tomorrow!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How experienced of a rider are you? I'm curious as to how and when the ABS engages, but I don't want to tell you to go out and pull stoppies and try and lock the front if you're not comfortable with it :)

Congrats on the bike, and I hope that my next streetbike can have ABS too. It's awesome for street riding.

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof
2006 Yamaha R6 with Micron slip-on and Powercommander.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

VanguardTruth posted:

2006 Yamaha R6 with Micron slip-on and Powercommander.

poo poo looks like a Michael Bay-style Decepticon motorcycle. I mean that in a good way.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Tentacle Party posted:

2008 SV650S ABS with
- Half polished rims
- Taller dark screen
- Different hand grips
- Tank protector
- Crash sliders
- Radiator guard
- Yoshimura exhaust

You going to get the lower plastics? Also I'm curious on the ABS, what's that like on a bike?

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

I guess these fit better here than in the Cycle Pictures and Videos thread, since they arent anything out of the ordinary, just some shots I snapped of my new 1200 Bandit.

Just in case you don't already know about it, http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm

I really like my Bandit. Powerful enough for me, with a fair amount of low end. Makes back roads easier, since you don't have to worry as much about not being in the right gear coming out of a corner. This last weekend I rode from Chico to Eugene on Saturday, and back to Chico on Sunday. Though I've been tempted at times to get a GSXR, I don't think I would have been able pull off that kind of trip (six hours each way, stopping only to get gas and pee) with the lower seating position.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Z3n posted:

How experienced of a rider are you? I'm curious as to how and when the ABS engages, but I don't want to tell you to go out and pull stoppies and try and lock the front if you're not comfortable with it :)

Congrats on the bike, and I hope that my next streetbike can have ABS too. It's awesome for street riding.

This is only my second bike, been riding for two and a half years. Ive never had to emergency brake besides practicing, i will work up to testing the ABS on this when im comfortable with this bike. One of the guys at the dealership has a new SV1000 with ABS and he loves it. Once he learnt to grab a fistful and not worry, it stops perfectly.

From his description and whats in the owners manual, there is a sensor on the front wheel that engages once you go over 5km/hr for the first time. After that it monitors wheel revolutions, if the wheel stops suddenly under brakes the ABS kicks in an pulses the brakes. Dealership guy said he can brake as hard as possible and it never locks.

Morphix posted:

You going to get the lower plastics? Also I'm curious on the ABS, what's that like on a bike?

No, we dont get the full fairings in Australia. I would have to import them if i really wanted them. I am thinking of a chin spoiler though, i love the semi-naked look too much!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Almost bought one of those last week, but I ordered the 690 SMC instead. Dealer reckons it might be here friday...

Please, God, please.

Congrats on what will be a loving awesome motorcycle. Someday I hope to trade my DRZ out for one of those, so hot. I bet that thing is going to be a wheelie machine.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anyone with the 690s comment on freeway use? I might get another street bike in winter, and while my rational side wants a Versys, the dark side wants a 690 or maybe a 950... It would have to be ridden daily 50 miles round trip highway, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

This is only my second bike, been riding for two and a half years. Ive never had to emergency brake besides practicing, i will work up to testing the ABS on this when im comfortable with this bike. One of the guys at the dealership has a new SV1000 with ABS and he loves it. Once he learnt to grab a fistful and not worry, it stops perfectly.

From his description and whats in the owners manual, there is a sensor on the front wheel that engages once you go over 5km/hr for the first time. After that it monitors wheel revolutions, if the wheel stops suddenly under brakes the ABS kicks in an pulses the brakes. Dealership guy said he can brake as hard as possible and it never locks.

Hopefully that'd be the case, yeah ;)

I still wouldn't want to grab a fistfull of brake on any bike, just because it's a bad habit, but it's good that it works relatively unobstrusively. I'd be curious to see what you think the first time it engages :)

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
'99 SV650 after my 2 hour drive from Denton to Waco

I need to do a nice photoshoot sometime without a portapotty in the back. May not look special, BUT IT'S SPECIAL TO ME DAMMIT.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

New to me 1981 Honda CB650 with 9000 miles on it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Underrated motorcycle photos

Your post about the B12 in the other thread makes me really want to ride one.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I need to do a nice photoshoot sometime without a portapotty in the back. May not look special, BUT IT'S SPECIAL TO ME DAMMIT.

Or... you could be on to something here... There's a port-a-loo near my place. I see a new SV photoshoot trend emerging here. :cool:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
It may not be too pretty, but when I'm on it, it isn't too fast either.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My friends and I did a two-day corner working/free riding session for Keith Code's California Superbike School (in all of it's wacky Scientology glory). Everyone at the school was nice though, save perhaps for Code who people say is a dick. The students all rode ZX-6Rs or whatever those fancy Kawasaki 600s are and there are coaches on identical bikes seeded through the groups giving pointers and leading them around. I sat at corner four of Streets of Willow and got to radio in poor riding technique during drills and also got to flag a lowside that happened at my corner.

Me on my Ninja EX250

Click here for the full 1024x753 image.

Me at my station all alone (though I got to see the rotating corner worker when it was her turn to take my place)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

My friend on an R6

Another friend on a GSX-R 600

Another friend on a GS500 getting ready to blow by a student

One more friend on an R6

Here is a video of me scraping peg around turn 2. I think this was a three gear light brakes drill. In order to mesh with the students during riding sessions we had to perform the drills as they did which was pretty nice since I got to learn some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdOY3FKP-0

Unfortunately there were some students who were slightly clueless and slow as gently caress but since I didn't want to gently caress up and piss off the school I exercised my passing very cautiously and the fact that they would get on the throttle of their new ZX-6Rs on straights right after I caught them through corners didn't help either.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

jujube posted:

How would you review the Leo Vince? I'm tempted to buy one myself, a Leo Vince or a Laser Sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0UkpOoQxxE

I miss my SV :(

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Congrats on what will be a loving awesome motorcycle. Someday I hope to trade my DRZ out for one of those, so hot. I bet that thing is going to be a wheelie machine.

It arrived! Unfortunately I can't get on the roads for two weeks, though I did have a quick zip about some private tracks near my house. Fortunately there are a couple of private dirt tracks just down the road from my place so I have had a quick bomb down those. All I can say is; drat, thats some torque. This is going to take some getting used to.

Edit:

Click here for the full 766x1024 image.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 26, 2008

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ostiosis posted:

New to me 1981 Honda CB650 with 9000 miles on it.

Those double buckets look as ugly as I thought they would, but are they comfortable? Been thinking of getting one for my '82, which is pretty much identical to yours.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah it's not the coolest seat but it is pretty comfortable. Since I'm still new to motorcycles I haven't driven it with my girlfriend on the back yet, but she sat in the seat while it was parked and liked it a lot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Repo Man posted:

Just in case you don't already know about it, http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm

I really like my Bandit. Powerful enough for me, with a fair amount of low end. Makes back roads easier, since you don't have to worry as much about not being in the right gear coming out of a corner. This last weekend I rode from Chico to Eugene on Saturday, and back to Chico on Sunday. Though I've been tempted at times to get a GSXR, I don't think I would have been able pull off that kind of trip (six hours each way, stopping only to get gas and pee) with the lower seating position.

Do you have a 1200? How many miles do you get out of a tank?

Anyways, yeah, I had a GSXR-600, and I like the bandit better. The GSXR actually made more power, but it was pretty unusable on the street. The bandits power is much more accessible, and even better yet, its torque is too.

I've taken to calling the Bandit "The Super Couch", as its fast, and extremely comfortable.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
After 2+ years of financial misery (balooning mortgage payment caused by miscalculated taxes blah blah house sucking me dry, no money, nearly bankrupt, etc.) I finally and miraculously sold my house and regained my freedom. So I bought myself a birthday present :haw:

God I love it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Congratulations!

Now where do you live? We should ride.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I'm in SE Washington, discovering some pretty awesome roads around here.

As well as some pretty suicidal deer :/

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
New bike!

$2980

2004 ZX6R 636
-Race-Tech internals in the forks
-Goodridge SS brakelines front and rear
-Goodridge HH pads
-GPR Stabilizer
-Pazzo shorty levers
-Full Titanium Akropovic exhaust
-BMC air filter
-Power Commander
-Gilles Tooling rear sets
-Gilles Tooling chain adjusters
-520 -1 +2 Gearing and extra stock size 40 tooth 520
-Vortex gas cap
-Bridgestone BT-003 w/ one race weekend on them, still have plenty of life
-1/4 turn throttle
-Lap Timer and beacon
-front and rear stands
-extra grips
-woodcraft case covers
-ignition module
-woodcraft clipon's

The happy couple:

And awesome tow vehicle--it's groin-grabbingly good

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

the bluing on that pipe looks awesome. Nice grab.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

sigtrap posted:

After 2+ years of financial misery (balooning mortgage payment caused by miscalculated taxes blah blah house sucking me dry, no money, nearly bankrupt, etc.) I finally and miraculously sold my house and regained my freedom. So I bought myself a birthday present :haw:

God I love it.

godddd I'm soooooooooo jealoussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sigtrap posted:

God I love it.

That looks like just about the perfect bike to me. Congrats on getting out of the financial misery.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sigtrap posted:

God I love it.

Happy Birthday.

I didn't know anyone other then Harly Davidson used belt drive. What kind of maintenance does a belt drive require?

Angus
Aug 19, 2004
My 98 Kawasaki Balius (250cc inline four):

It's becoming a money pit (and I want something bigger than a 250) so I'm trading it in on a 2005 VTR1000. Should be all sorted out by next week... god I love the sound of this thing!

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Do you have a 1200? How many miles do you get out of a tank?

2001 1200S, pics a few pages back. I've never checked that carefully, but around 150 miles.

quote:

Anyways, yeah, I had a GSXR-600, and I like the bandit better. The GSXR actually made more power, but it was pretty unusable on the street. The bandits power is much more accessible, and even better yet, its torque is too.

I've taken to calling the Bandit "The Super Couch", as its fast, and extremely comfortable.
Because I didn't want something with a peaky powerband, I'd decided on a minimum displacement of 750CC when I began shopping for a bike. I'm in my forties, I don't want to be dancing on the shift lever on a twisty backroad; it's too tiring.

I'm sure a full dress touring bike would be much more comfortable, but I don't want one of those. I think these bikes are a good compromise between full sport and touring. And if I want more power, I can throw some money at it. But I almost didn't ride at all between 1993 and 2005, so it seemed crazy powerful to me when I first bought it.

Repo Man fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 27, 2008

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

blugu64 posted:

I didn't know anyone other then Harly Davidson used belt drive. What kind of maintenance does a belt drive require?

Virtually none, it should be used more often.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aventari, we'll have to hit up a trackday at some point :)

Sigtrap, happy birthday and congrats! Whadya think of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just got a monster 620 recently: