Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
I was visiting my sister and nephews in Beaver, UT a few weekends ago and caught this beauty on my phone:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Stoomie fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCbk-IOYsc Kapow!

Probably repost? Meh.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Stoomie posted:

I was visiting my sister and nephews in Beaver, UT a few weekends ago and caught this beauty on my phone:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I wonder if the real seat is under there someplace, or if he was just like "poo poo, I have a bearskin rug! I'll use that!"

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
If you love old MotoGuzzis, this is for you!

A buddy from work sent me this video of him and another guy riding their 70s MotoGuzzis through the mountains of NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLGxuiLHNJk

I don't like the way they painted their frames, but I have ridden the gray one and it is a hell of a machine. Plus you get to hear his charming southern accent!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Took delivery of my new KTM thumper today and the light was nice in the evening;

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I catch myself getting pissed off at other drivers and acting stupid (flinging tosser gestures at them) but tailgating on a bike is such a stupid idea

sorray fo da haddaway

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
:science:

I've done eight tire changes with this rig. Paid for itself, the Mojolever and other supplies. Woohoo!

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Jesus christ, do any of you ride even close to that?

I don't consider myself a pussy or a whimp, but when I'm out on my bike, I ride it like everyone else on the road were trying to kill me.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

kcer posted:

I don't consider myself a pussy or a whimp, but when I'm out on my bike, I ride it like everyone else on the road were trying to kill me.

Maybe he got it mixed up, and was driving like he was trying to kill everyone.

Seriously, he let up on that lean and then collided with the rider. The second I saw that rider's lights flash I was expecting a hard lean into a high/low side, or something. Bad reaction and what looks like target fixation :( Passing a slow car is all well and good, but he also screwed it up by doing it on the OUTSIDE OF A TURN. :wtc:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

kcer posted:

Lean angles like that, yes, when the road and traffic permits. Suicide overtakes, not so much. I think it is quite possible to have fun and challenge yourself a bit, without being a danger to others or yourself.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FluffGrenade posted:

As an aside, anyone know where I can get the modern equivalent to this sweet helmet, which is unfortunately both completely useless for safety and made for a tiny baby head?

Modern deadliness:

http://www.topbrandhelmets.com/index.php

Not DOT legal. The Mosquito is beautiful, but I care about my head/face too much.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

FluffGrenade posted:

As an aside, anyone know where I can get the modern equivalent to this sweet helmet, which is unfortunately both completely useless for safety and made for a tiny baby head?

Get a Biltwell lid and find yourself and amber bubble visor. Not DOT, but they hold up in crashes just fine.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Choom Gangster posted:

they hold up in crashes just fine.

quote:

Our seamless injection-molded ABS plastic outer shell is form fitting and super flexible. Because our non-DOT-approved helmet has no expanded polystyrene (EPS) inner shell, it fits close to the skull

Really?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
^^^Yeah, the helmet holds up just fine, your brain is absorbing all the kinetic energy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kcer posted:

Horrible lines, body position, and riding like a retard on well traveled roads. If you can see 3 cars in 15 seconds, there is absolutely no way you should ever consider riding even remotely fast on a road like that.

And I assume they're probably running KPH, because it doesn't look anywhere near 100mph, and there are a number of roads where I will squid and run fast on the street. They also happen to be effectively deserted, and 30-40 miles out of any town, much less a city. I will typically see a handful of other riders and maybe a car or 2. If you go during the week you will see noone. I also back it off the second that I see cars. My stance on it is...if no one knows, if you ride within your limits and your sight lines, who cares?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Cromwell&prod=Spitfire

Cromwell makes some nice open face helmets. Not DOT approved but European approved, so it is a real helmet, not some "novelty" lid. If I still had my FrankenBeezer, I'd have to get one just for riding that bike. Dunno if a guycan get a puddingbowl anymore, the Spitfire is fairly close.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

obso posted:

Really?

Having seen two high speed crashes, both involving contact between the pavement and the helmet, with the rider coming out unscathed tell me yes, really.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Choom Gangster posted:

Get a Biltwell lid and find yourself and amber bubble visor. Not DOT, but they hold up in crashes just fine.
Err... why not just get a Fulmer V2?

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html

They are DOT approved.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Slimmer shape, cheaper.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Choom Gangster posted:

Having seen two high speed crashes, both involving contact between the pavement and the helmet, with the rider coming out unscathed tell me yes, really.

Two anecdotal incidents does not make it a safe helmet. Just because the helmet contacted the pavement doesn't mean that any significant forces were encountered. The lack of any safety rating, or even an inner shell, means that the helmet is almost useless in a head smacks object type of crash. It would probably work fine in a lowside, as long as you don't hit anything while you are sliding. Just don't count on it if a car pulls in front of you, or you hit a deer.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
Found a nice few easy going unsealed spur roads that go down the side of the range at kinglake national park.

Top of Bowden-Spur Road

Part way down

I was with my other half and she was on her VTR250 and the going got pretty rough through the bits that were washed out and had very deep tracks. Didn't really want to push on.

There's quite a few awesome looking roads that go down the ranges in that area, including the main sealed roads that get you up the range. I'll certainly be going back there on my own for a bit of exploration.

Leroy's gonna come along too, now he's got his own helmet..

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

Took delivery of my new KTM thumper today and the light was nice in the evening;

Nice shots.. I'm assuming that L means 'learner' and if so holy poo poo you can legally ride those things around as a learner?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

the letter b posted:

Nice shots.. I'm assuming that L means 'learner' and if so holy poo poo you can legally ride those things around as a learner?

I live on the island of Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Yeah, we have pretty messed up laws regarding motorbikes here. If you're under 18, you can only ride up to a 125, over that, you're good to go with whatever the hell you want except you have to do your basic course on something between 125 and 250.

So of course everyone borrows a friends 250 to do the CBT on and then gets straight on a litre sports bike as soon as they get the cert. You then get to be a learner for two years, in which time you must pass the full test, otherwise your learner permit gets revoked for a year and you have to go through the whole process again.

I have ridden before but not in this country so I have to apply as a beginner, I got a 650.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Skier posted:

:science:

I've done eight tire changes with this rig. Paid for itself, the Mojolever and other supplies. Woohoo!

Is that what you had buried in your garage during my "learning experience"?

How do you balance the wheels?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the letter b posted:

up here in the True North Strong And Free, you write can write your learners test (multiple choice, no practical), sling your leg over your new 'busa and ride off into the sunset. Well not quite, you're restricted to riding between sunup and sundown, and no motorways.
It's only good for 90 days though, so you have to either renew it by writing the test again (the squidliest option), or do the MOT practical assessment. The proper option is to do the approved motorcycle safety course, but that's $400 and who's got that kind of money when you just financed a new R1 with $500 down that you're going to sell at the end of the summer anyway? (if you haven't killed yourself, that is)

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Gullous posted:

I do the same thing, bought the HF the beginning of summer. I dont balance my wheels, but what you do is put the axel through it, and set it on a couple jack stands. The heavy side makes itself immediately know by rotating the wheel until its on the bottom.

Like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AuivYzaBs

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

mutt2jeff posted:

I do the same thing, bought the HF the beginning of summer. I dont balance my wheels, but what you do is put the axel through it, and set it on a couple jack stands. The heavy side makes itself immediately know by rotating the wheel until its on the bottom.

Like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AuivYzaBs

Ah yea, that is the method I used, too. I was wondering if he had a slicker setup (i.e bearings, a level, lasers...)

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Bryson City, NC, on or about 9/12/08 - Two somewhat inebriated gents on their way home from a bar during the early afternoon. Driving past the same spot a few minutes later revealed the heavy lad doing the "touch your nose" demonstration for the local constabulary.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

I live on the island of Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Yeah, we have pretty messed up laws regarding motorbikes here. If you're under 18, you can only ride up to a 125, over that, you're good to go with whatever the hell you want except you have to do your basic course on something between 125 and 250.

So of course everyone borrows a friends 250 to do the CBT on and then gets straight on a litre sports bike as soon as they get the cert. You then get to be a learner for two years, in which time you must pass the full test, otherwise your learner permit gets revoked for a year and you have to go through the whole process again.

I have ridden before but not in this country so I have to apply as a beginner, I got a 650.

I'm reasonably happy with our laws here in Victoria (Aus). There's a 150kw/tonne power to weight ratio limit while you're on your learners (you have to pass an MSF-style examination to get your permit) - you have to hold it for a minimum of 3 months, maximum 15 months. After that you have to pass another practical test to get your 'probationary' license.

If you already hold an open car license you skip the probationary part but you're still restricted by 150kw/tonne for the first 12 months and you can't take a pillion.. (or a side car :v: )

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Gullous posted:

Is that what you had buried in your garage during my "learning experience"?

Yes, that's what was buried in my garage.

I balance the wheels just like mutt2jeff said: jack stands and the axle.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Today was the oyster run, a big rear end bike rally I'd never even heard of before. They were apparently expecting 30,000 bikes this year. The local triumph dealership organized a group ride. I think at least 30 bikes showed up.

This goldwing was parked out in front of the denny's we all met up at, and i had to get some pictures.

Since the ferries to anacortes were gonna be packed, the group decided they were gonna take I-5 all the way there. Riding 2 hours on a cop-infested interstate for a cruiser rally didn't sound that great, so about 7 of us decided to go on our own ride toward Mt. St. Helens. I didn't get a group picture, but it was 4 sportbikes, a woman on a FJR, me on my monster and the guy leading the group was on a BMW K1. He could haul some rear end through the twisties on that thing, too. We got about 60 miles into the ride when we got onto some windy roads, and the guy on the kawasaki gave it too much throttle and lowsided into a ditch. The guy behind him target fixated and went skidding too.

The handlebar and footpeg on the left side of the kawasaki were snapped off. The GSX-R was kinda rideable, but he decided not to risk it. It was also his wife's bike, sucks to have to explain that. Both were unhurt and waited for a trailer, so did all the other sport bike riders. It was just me and the other two who kept riding and finished up the trip. It was about 350 miles roundtrip, drat nice day for a ride, and probably one of the last of the season.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
What kind of bmw is that in that last picture. It looks weird as hell.

Edit: Ok never mind I see it's a BMW k1. What a weird motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Spent the day squidding about on my friend's bike. 'Twas fantastic.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I know that right now, there are hordes of you riders out there selling a kidney and taking out that 3rd mortgage to finance the trip of a lifetime to Alaska.

Well, I thought you riders would want to know that I took that trip today becuase it's an hour from my house and I can go ride that on a whim. I took my recently acquired Yammy Fizzy for a run before I take it to the Gnomelab for a naked makeover.

This is a quaint little cabin that has been falling into the Matanuska River for a decade or so. The river has been steadily cutting into the bank, right now it's a straight shot right into the drink. The only thing holding the cabin on the bank is good old fashioned Alaska grit and determination.

The Matanuska River just northeast of the Kings River bridge.

The Purinton Creek trailhead, right off the Glenn highway at about mile 90. The highway from Gunsight Mountain south to Palmer will make your whole trip to Alaska worth the ride. I do it for shits and giggles. Yeah, you'll laugh at me when it snows but for now you are all my bitches.

The hill going towards Long Lake. Watch for falling rocks, like the one the size of a kitchen table we came upon sitting in the middle of that road while returning from a day of motor sledding...

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

OK, what the hell is this thing? It passed me on the highway yesterday. It seems to be some kind of custom mod, where he took the back end of a Yamaha cycle of some type and added a bizarre 2-wheel front end, but still with handlebars. It was moving along, this was the best picture I could get of it.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ishamael posted:

OK, what the hell is this thing? It passed me on the highway yesterday. It seems to be some kind of custom mod, where he took the back end of a Yamaha cycle of some type and added a bizarre 2-wheel front end, but still with handlebars. It was moving along, this was the best picture I could get of it.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Seems to be close, but not quite the same as a T-Rex: http://tinyurl.com/yodq8p

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a T-Rex looks cohesive.

I'm pretty sure that's a YZF600R in the back there. Maybe it undocks and the front becomes a jet fighter like some sweet-rear end MASK vehicle.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Phy posted:

Yeah, a T-Rex looks cohesive.

I'm pretty sure that's a YZF600R in the back there. Maybe it undocks and the front becomes a jet fighter like some sweet-rear end MASK vehicle.

Hehe that's what I wanted to see as well. The T-Rex is probably what this guy was going for, and built one of his own that was kinda hosed up. Also the wind did hilarious things to his jowly face.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I hope you guys don't mind me posting these here. Anyone still playing Tourist Trophy? Took these shots the other day.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x470 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, now you got me thinking about TT, and I'm going to have to drag my PS2 out and find batteries for the controllers and all that poo poo.

I still havent come close to finding a motorcycle sim on the 360 that feels and drives as well as TT does.