Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really just don't get Deaf Frat Guy. There are occasional good jokes in there, but they really seem to love him in a way that is beyond me. Maybe the fact that I live around real (but not deaf) frat guys all day kills the joke, and people out of college find it more amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Grand Fromage posted:

I really just don't get Deaf Frat Guy. There are occasional good jokes in there, but they really seem to love him in a way that is beyond me. Maybe the fact that I live around real (but not deaf) frat guys all day kills the joke, and people out of college find it more amusing.

Is the entire Deaf Frat Guy joke just that a stereotypical frat guy talks funny or am I missing something here?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Deaf Frat Guy is one of my favorite characters of all time. He was funnier when Dave Dameshek was there because he would help play off of the point that DFG was from a stereotypical frat movie.

I am so fed up with Teresa Strasser. She is so incredibly annoying. From her fake laugh to acting like she has knowledge in subjects that she doesn't know anything about. For example, when Rich Eisen was the guest to talk about the NFL, she would chime in with "yeah" and "right." Why even talk?

RitualConfuser
Apr 22, 2008

Gatekeeper posted:

I don't know, I think I love Blood Sweat and Tears now. That episode full of 'Lucretia MacEvil' had me dying. "Kids are gonna hear those horns and think this band ripped off Reel Big Fish!"

Ya, I crack up now every time I hear Go Down Gamblin' or Lucretia MacEvil.

blacquethoven posted:

Does anyone know the name of Adam's "theme song" that he talks about sometimes? The one he says he imagines playing when he walks into a bar in a badass leather jacket, all the girls swivel to look at him, etc.

Also bonus points if you know of an episode where he talks about it.

2001-11-26 at around 46 minutes. If you want to find some more, scan the fall '01 episodes w/ female guests.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jubs posted:

I am so fed up with Teresa Strasser.
It goes more than that. Why is she even there? She's not funny, she always jumps on the tail end of every joke and cheapens it, and even when she is stating her opinion she takes loving FOREVER to do it.

"I don't want to disagree, BUT.....
*pause*
"blah blah blah"

"And the reason we went to the place was.."
*pause*

By the time she finishes pausing I've no interest in whatever it was she was talking about.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
You guys are awful harsh on Teresa. Complaining that she stays engaged in guest interviews and sometimes pauses while collecting her thoughts (which Adam is just as guilty of) seems a little excessive.

She's just there to keep the show moving and be a comic foil for Adam. She reacts well when she's the butt of the joke, like the whole "T's V" bit.

At least it's not the pandering of Dameshek or the one-upsmanship of Bonaduce.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
God I wish this show was still on. The archives have really gotten me through some tough times. Every time I get depressed, or I try to quit drugs, or whatever is going on, it's just nice to hear somebody that can put some perspective in your life. It's also good to hear people much worse off than you are.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nemo posted:

You guys are awful harsh on Teresa. Complaining that she stays engaged in guest interviews and sometimes pauses while collecting her thoughts (which Adam is just as guilty of) seems a little excessive.

She's just there to keep the show moving and be a comic foil for Adam. She reacts well when she's the butt of the joke, like the whole "T's V" bit.

At least it's not the pandering of Dameshek or the one-upsmanship of Bonaduce.
The thing is, she pauses just for the sake of making you wait, not because she's collecting her thoughts. It's like having to eat asparagus with your chocolate cheesecake.

Bonaduce was like having to eat a turd with your chocolate cheesecake.

herf
Mar 28, 2008

He has it all, yes he does. He knows how to please in every detail. He can do more than you'd ever imagine, and do it with style. He does it with me. Oh yes he does.

Nemo posted:

She reacts well when she's the butt of the joke

The Adam Carolla Show? That's what you're listening to, right?

Three words. David Allen Grier.

T doesn't take being the butt of a joke well at all. She's defensive as gently caress.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Ok, ok, point taken. Still, that only happened on one of DAG's many appearances, and he was putting a lot of effort into annoying Teresa at the time. DAG can be a lot to take even as a listener sometimes, so I can only imagine what it'd be like if he was focusing his mania on you personally.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
What happened between Teresa and DAG?

blacquethoven fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 22, 2008

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
I have to recommend 2003-05-08 (No Guest).
The day before Drew's hernia surgery, and pretty much all the callers are totally insane. Solid entertainment all the way through!

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

blacquethoven posted:

What happened between Teresa and DAG?

He started out just making fun of her generally, then started snoring every time she talked. Adam was laughing like a mad man every time he did it, so he kept it up. When she tried to do the news he would snore every time she talked, then swear he was done, then snore when she started again, which made Adam laugh like crazy. When he actually did stop Bryan would use the snore drop, and eventually T started taking it personally and refused to do the news.

After some cajoling she eventually went on with it, but there were some tears in there somewhere. When DAG came back they apparently had a talk off-air and settled things, but she seemed honestly hurt by all the snoring.

This was all right around when she was getting married, so maybe her emotions weren't exactly in check.

I generally like her. She is funny and usually takes criticism in stride and mocks her lack of self esteem. The only thing I dislike is her long pauses. When she teases some news story she really stretches it out.

"And that woman was....a very angry......blogger........named............Rosie O'Donnell."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey, hey, hey.... guess who else is 29 besides Bald Bryan!?

I'm getting kind of burnt out on TACS. Adam is getting annoying because he rehashes the same 3 things over and over again (left turn arrow and/or traffic in LA, how terrible his parents were, and his love affair with John Hyatt), Teresa is pretty uninteresting, and Bald Bryan doesn't interject enough to be truly entertaining. Bald Bryan is perhaps one of the stronger players in the group, but meh.

Another thing is that the guests are on for an amazing 10 minutes, so there's no meaningful dialogue going on. When George Takei was on, I was blown away about how interesting he and his past were... and then they ran out of time and scooted him off the air. If it was Loveline, they would have gone on for at least 45 minutes uninterrupted about the history and life of Takei, but, LOL HES GAY.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Malachi Constant posted:

He started out just making fun of her generally, then started snoring every time she talked. Adam was laughing like a mad man every time he did it, so he kept it up. When she tried to do the news he would snore every time she talked, then swear he was done, then snore when she started again, which made Adam laugh like crazy. When he actually did stop Bryan would use the snore drop, and eventually T started taking it personally and refused to do the news.

After some cajoling she eventually went on with it, but there were some tears in there somewhere. When DAG came back they apparently had a talk off-air and settled things, but she seemed honestly hurt by all the snoring.

This was all right around when she was getting married, so maybe her emotions weren't exactly in check.

She also cried when Dave Dameshek said something to her off the air.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jubs posted:

She also cried when Dave Dameshek said something to her off the air.

She gets her panties in a bunch all the time, especially if someone is misogynistic or brushes her off. I don't mind her all that much but she does talk way to much and I get the feeling she thinks she adds a lot more to the show than she does.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

drat, the 2004-02-10 episode with John Mayer is excellent. It sucks he was only on once because he really stood out among all the non-regular guests as somebody who was just into it. It's a Dr. Bruce episode and one of my favorites so far.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Solarin posted:

drat, the 2004-02-10 episode with John Mayer is excellent. It sucks he was only on once because he really stood out among all the non-regular guests as somebody who was just into it. It's a Dr. Bruce episode and one of my favorites so far.

I listened to this one recently and have to agree; he's one of the guests who "gets" the show. He also has really good instincts about helping the callers.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

I've come to really hate it when I hear "It's two words" in a stuffy-nosed voice.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

I was listening to the random stream a while back and it was an episode where Adam kept doing the hilarious traffic and weather, weather and traffic and weather stuff, but I forgot the date of the episode.

Does anyone know offhand some good episodes where he'll go off on the traffic and weather rants and keep interrupting callers with weather and traffic?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

aaronp posted:

I was listening to the random stream a while back and it was an episode where Adam kept doing the hilarious traffic and weather, weather and traffic and weather stuff, but I forgot the date of the episode.

Does anyone know offhand some good episodes where he'll go off on the traffic and weather rants and keep interrupting callers with weather and traffic?

He did this recently on his morning show. He and Dana Gould came up with the morning show Shotgun and McCain. Dana is constantly trying to discuss policy as McCain while Adam rants about traffic and weather.

It's the 9-24-08 show.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 1, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I know this is a long shot but if anyone can find this rant I'd go nuts. I have no idea what show it was but some fat guy called in and it came up his penis was small and Dr Drew said for every 50 pounds he lost his penis would grow half an inch. Adam goes "Hold, on you mean when a girl gets fat she gets big cans but when a guy gets fat his penis gets smaller? That is so unfair, I mean if a girl is fat she has big cans and drunk guy at the end of the night will just focus on her cans and she can get some action, but a fat guy, he has nothing"

Everytime I see a really fat person this rant pops in my head and I start laughing. If someone knows what I'm talking about I'd love it

PS

Dave Dameshek is awesome, gently caress you haters

RitualConfuser
Apr 22, 2008

aaronp posted:

It's called the "lightning round" and Adam (or rather Ace Rockola) would do it for the last ~10 minutes of the show; it seemed like it was almost every show for a while. An example is 2001-09-20, last 11 minutes or so. It's funny but it gets old. Dr. Drew hates it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

aaronp posted:

Check out the Sept 24th 2008 Adam Carolla show if you like that bit, as they do a version of it with Dana Gould doing a decent John McCain impression.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
HEY GUYS DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S FUNNY

RICK ROLLING HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Phone posted:

Uggh, 2 days worth now. No they're going to tell us every time someone finds some new and zany way to rick roll them. I really loving hate the internet sometimes.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

RitualConfuser posted:

It's called the "lightning round" and Adam (or rather Ace Rockola) would do it for the last ~10 minutes of the show; it seemed like it was almost every show for a while. An example is 2001-09-20, last 11 minutes or so. It's funny but it gets old. Dr. Drew hates it.

Close, although the one I heard wasn't the lightning round, it was some normal show and he kept interrupting callers for the last, I dunno, 30 minutes of the show to do the weather, where every single city was 71 degrees or whatever, then he'd finish and 5 minutes later do it again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Uggh, 2 days worth now. No they're going to tell us every time someone finds some new and zany way to rick roll them. I really loving hate the internet sometimes.

I can usually stand Teresa, but holy gently caress is the whole rickrolling thing obnoxious. When will fuckers get that internet humor (from 6+ months ago, no less) does not translate into real life humor? Honestly, the last hurrah for rickroll was the prankdialer thing on April 1.

Here's the breakdown of Thursday's episode:

Brian - Oh wow rickrolling, sooooooo funny, lololol.
Adam - I want nothing to do with this.
Teresa - I'm going to score some cool points!

edit: Honestly, they came from such a loving highnote from the day before. Charles S. Dutton was awesome and the Dana Gould bit was pretty good. But the truncating of Dutton's bit was honestly terrible and its why the Loveline format was so much better because you got 2 hours of a guest on the show as opposed to 15 minutes. Much like Takei's story, it was cut about halfway in because they have such a ACTION PACKED SHOW.

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 26, 2008

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

aaronp posted:

Close, although the one I heard wasn't the lightning round, it was some normal show and he kept interrupting callers for the last, I dunno, 30 minutes of the show to do the weather, where every single city was 71 degrees or whatever, then he'd finish and 5 minutes later do it again.

Watch for red lights on the 91, slow and go people slow and go. Didn't Adam comment on the 91 being some poo poo little highway that he had never heard of? 71 in Bernardino, coming in at 71 in Hollywood, etc.

I love that bit.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

^There's a mattress in the left hand lane.

I didn't like the Dana=McCain bit for some reason, and the rickrolling was painful.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Phone posted:

I loving cringed when it was brought up. I wonder if next week we'll get to hear about how funny an animated dancing baby will be...

I've been happy that Dana Gould has become semi-regular, he's probably my favourite guest, but I agree that the Shotgun-McCain thing gets old fast. Definitely not repeat material.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Daryl DBD posted:

I loving cringed when it was brought up. I wonder if next week we'll get to hear about how funny an animated dancing baby will be...

I've been happy that Dana Gould has become semi-regular, he's probably my favourite guest, but I agree that the Shotgun-McCain thing gets old fast. Definitely not repeat material.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do it for something like 10-20 minutes every time. I don't listen to the shows live so I can just skip ahead, but it's still a pain in the rear end to listen to.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do it for something like 10-20 minutes every time. I don't listen to the shows live so I can just skip ahead, but it's still a pain in the rear end to listen to.

Yeah, the last one went for an entire segment. Again, don't get me wrong, I love Dana Gould (a few appearances ago he did a Bob Mould impression and I fell in love) I just think it's way better when they use time with him to make fun of Huel Howser.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
A motor scooter collided with a nuclear armament truck. CHP is gonna need a few more minutes to clean THAT one up. :haw:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Alexandr posted:

A motor scooter collided with a nuclear armament truck. CHP is gonna need a few more minutes to clean THAT one up. :haw:

I'm not in love with the Lightning Round but I lose it on that line every time. One of the best Lightning Rounds I've ever heard is on 2003-09-29, I think it came after a long dry spell and Adam just goes loving nuts. Someone mentioned it long ago in the thread but I just recently heard it.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Everybody knows that the Reverb lightning round is the best. 9-29 is a close second tho, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Is it the one where he's screaming into the mic as loud as he can and his voice is breaking up and poo poo? Very close second place.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

aaronp posted:

7-20-2004.

It's the "checking in at 72" bit for basically half the episode.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Best lightning round is without a doubt Will Sasso and Ace doing Gay Morning Zoo. It's an 05 or 04 episode I think. Funniest loving thing ever. "Come on down for the Bushiest Moustache competition and Free T-Cell counts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppermate
Jul 2, 2007

by Ozma
Lovelinecentral now has episodes of the MTV Loveline tv show up http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/index.php?dir=MTV%20Loveline/

Haven't watched any yet but I've sorta wondered what the show was like.

• Locked thread