Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THERE I FIXED IT
Dec 9, 2007

happy now?

Unkempt posted:

James Blish wrote a book called Vor, though I haven't read it. Have a look at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/james-blish/vor.htm

That's it! My God, I've seriously been looking forever. Thank you so loving much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shonagon posted:

The setting is completely wrong but the ending is Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones. He's Sirius the Dog Star, exiled to Earth for murder, and the other orbs (big red and small white) are the planetary bodies who framed him. However, it has nothing to do with sea monsters. Is this coincidence or could you be confusing two titles?

it could well be that. I did find another book where the sea monster part was there but not the orbs (The Bogart and the Monster by Susan Cooper), so I may well have been mixing them up

thanks very much in any case, I'll seek them both out and see how messed up my memory really is :D

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

yaffle posted:

This sounds little like Julian May's Saga of the Exiles series, but your description lacks a lot of stuff from the books (aliens, mental powers, time travel etc)

I was kinda thinking that as I wrote the description, but I realised that the only similarity was actually the golden torc thing. It turns out it was The Power of Three by Diana Wynne Jones.

...and it's still pretty good.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I have three stories that have been hovering around my subconscious for a while,

First one was a story about a guy who ends up transformed into some dog like creature I think to as a curse and then he ends up with this lady and being a guard dog or something, I'm pretty sure it took place on a different planet.

Second is a short fiction story about the history of the song "Waltzing Matilda" but every time I've tried to look it up I either just get the lyrics or the actual history of the song.

and last was a sci-fi book about a lady who is an outcast for having something wrong with her face, I think she was missing her nose, and she finds a special prosthetic that couldn't be detected and had to decide if she wanted to stay an outcast or not.

Sorry for the lack of details hopefully at one of you knows these.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

First one might be Moon of Three Rings by Andre Norton - synopsis here. Not a clue about the others though.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Rocambole posted:

First one might be Moon of Three Rings by Andre Norton - synopsis here. Not a clue about the others though.

Yes thank you, recognized the second cover and synopsis thank you

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Sci-fi book about a young (6 or 8 or something) boy who is shipped off to space to go into training to become a commander. During his training he has to do all these tactical simulations and mock battles. At the end of the book it is revealed that the mock battles were real and that he won the war which they thought was impossible.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

nemotrm posted:

Sci-fi book about a young (6 or 8 or something) boy who is shipped off to space to go into training to become a commander. During his training he has to do all these tactical simulations and mock battles. At the end of the book it is revealed that the mock battles were real and that he won the war which they thought was impossible.

Enders Game? Wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enders_game

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Lipumira posted:

Enders Game? Wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enders_game

Thanks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's one from the late 70s: Took place in a high school and the title of the book was the name of the school's student handbook. May have contained the name "Alfred" in the school name.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's one from the late 70s: Took place in a high school and the title of the book was the name of the school's student handbook. May have contained the name "Alfred" in the school name.

The Alfred G. Graebner Memorial High School Handbook of Rules and Regulations by Ellen Conford. I remember reading that probably 15 years ago if not longer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Encryptic posted:

The Alfred G. Graebner Memorial High School Handbook of Rules and Regulations by Ellen Conford. I remember reading that probably 15 years ago if not longer.

Yep, that's it. Thanks.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
They were a series of children's books. The main character was named Hattie, and she had a pretty large family 6+ children, in rural late 19th century/early 20th century America. I think she was around 10-12 years old.

I only remember some bits of the stories, like looking at the Sears and Roebuck catalog, buying a lavender print dress, growing a large pumpkin for a fair. I had no luck googling it.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
e:nvm

ist fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 2, 2020

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

ist posted:

This one just randomly popped into my mind, and I've gotta figure out the title to it.

I remember reading it in 3rd grade, so it has to be at least 15 years old.

It was some young adult mystery novel about I believe some teenage girl in some big city with an art museum, and I believe the secret she was after was "Balogna, Italy"

It's entirely possible that she snuck into the museum after close by standing on a toilet, but I may be confusing it with another book.

e: it's also possible that the plot centered around some da vinci statue

Could it be "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E. L. Konigsburg?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler
First thing I thought of.

Elohssa Gib fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 27, 2008

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

There's a short story about a kid who is really into horse racing and horses and in about the middle of it, he looks into the eyes of the owner of some really talented horse that wins some race, and after the race he follows the horse's owner to a brothel where he sees the guy with some prostitutes and it grosses him out and then it's over.

I remember the author was gay, and the story was pretty clearly about that too.

E: remembered. Sherwood Anderson - I Want To Know Why

Your Proud Pal fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 29, 2008

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
e:nvm

ist fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 2, 2020

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I have a couple, all from at least a decade ago.

One is about a girl who's really shy and unhappy with herself, until she sees a painting of some kickass woman (I want to say Catherine the Great) in a museum and it looks just like her. This inspires to her to be more assertive and stuff, and I think it ends with her realizing she didn't have to act like said famous person to feel better.

The other is a sci-fi novel, and pretty short. The main characters are a human boy and an alien girl on some other planet or moon or something. The only part I remember is they're in a buggy driven by someone else (maybe to infiltrate a base?), and it crashes, and a big deal is made that they're not badly injured, because they were mostly asleep and relaxed so they didn't tense up and injure themselves like the driver who was badly hurt.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I've been trying to find a book for my wife that she's been trying to find forever. (If I can find the book, it means major points for me ;) )

She has explained that she read a book when she was a teen (late 90s) and it was about a teenage girl and her friend who was a boy and they discover that they can do magic. Then something about her parents and them not liking her time with the boy or there's something wrong with the mom, and the girl has to become a fish and get some whales to come to a certain point in the ocean to be a part of a song at some time to save everything. It may or may not be a series.

I know it's vague and young adult fiction, but my wife keeps looking for this book at shops hoping she'll come across it, and it's nagging her. Plus, what better gift for my wife. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: So I told her about this thread and she says that it was definitely a series and the girl's mom has cancer and dies, or is dying. Apparently my wife is on a "I'm saving books that I liked for our future children" phase.

Putin It In Mah ASS fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 28, 2008

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I've been trying to find a book for my wife that she's been trying to find forever. (If I can find the book, it means major points for me ;) )

She has explained that she read a book when she was a teen (late 90s) and it was about a teenage girl and her friend who was a boy and they discover that they can do magic. Then something about her parents and them not liking her time with the boy or there's something wrong with the mom, and the girl has to become a fish and get some whales to come to a certain point in the ocean to be a part of a song at some time to save everything. It may or may not be a series.

I know it's vague and young adult fiction, but my wife keeps looking for this book at shops hoping she'll come across it, and it's nagging her. Plus, what better gift for my wife. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: So I told her about this thread and she says that it was definitely a series and the girl's mom has cancer and dies, or is dying. Apparently my wife is on a "I'm saving books that I liked for our future children" phase.

Sounds like Deep Wizardry, the second book in the So You Want to be a Wizard series by Diane Duane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Wizards

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ist posted:

This one just randomly popped into my mind, and I've gotta figure out the title to it.

I remember reading it in 3rd grade, so it has to be at least 15 years old.

It was some young adult mystery novel about I believe some teenage girl in some big city with an art museum, and I believe the secret she was after was "Balogna, Italy"

It's entirely possible that she snuck into the museum after close by standing on a toilet, but I may be confusing it with another book.

e: it's also possible that the plot centered around some da vinci statue

I came too late, and your question was answered, but I remember this book pretty clearly. It's way older than 15 years, because we read it when I was in elementary school, just after the invention of electricity :haw:

The plot was that there was a possible statue by Michelangelo in the museum. She also brought her little brother along.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
Okay, this is one I read years ago; it's about an (English?) couple in the 50s(?) who are in a nuclear blast and slowly get sick from radiation poisoning? It was a cartoon book, sort of, and I specifically remember them building a shelter inside their house which was just a plank sloped against a wall with a mattress on top? Ring any bells?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Meeper posted:

Okay, this is one I read years ago; it's about an (English?) couple in the 50s(?) who are in a nuclear blast and slowly get sick from radiation poisoning? It was a cartoon book, sort of, and I specifically remember them building a shelter inside their house which was just a plank sloped against a wall with a mattress on top? Ring any bells?
When the Wind Blows.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Action Jacktion posted:

When the Wind Blows.

Aha! They made that into a movie, which I've consistently been getting mixed up with The Big Snit. I wondered why a lot of the descriptions of that didn't seem quite right.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

fritz posted:

Sounds like Deep Wizardry, the second book in the So You Want to be a Wizard series by Diane Duane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Wizards

Thank you!

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Elohssa Gib posted:

and last was a sci-fi book about a lady who is an outcast for having something wrong with her face, I think she was missing her nose, and she finds a special prosthetic that couldn't be detected and had to decide if she wanted to stay an outcast or not.
This one sounds like Expendable by James Alan Gardner, although the flaw in that story was a birthmark on the cheek. Sound familiar?

Gyver
Jun 24, 2005

My entire life has been full of wrong choices.
Ok I've got two for you. The first one is about these alien space ships that come to Earth, and park over all the major cities, and just sit there. Eventually the people stop caring and go back to their normal lives for 500 years or so, when the aliens finally decide to make contact. They send a message saying they will come out of their ships in another 500 years. When the time finally comes there is a big celebration, but when the aliens show up they're actually demons.

The second book, I don't know quite as much about. It involes some strange planet where once every year anyone can do anything they want, without any repercussions. The main character, a detective, is investigating a murder that happened during the event that he believes was commited before hand.

Fake Edit: I'm not sure but I think the people who went out durring the night dressed in some crazy S&M-esque gear.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Gyver posted:

Ok I've got two for you. The first one is about these alien space ships that come to Earth, and park over all the major cities, and just sit there. Eventually the people stop caring and go back to their normal lives for 500 years or so, when the aliens finally decide to make contact. They send a message saying they will come out of their ships in another 500 years. When the time finally comes there is a big celebration, but when the aliens show up they're actually demons.

Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke, which was expanded from the short story "Guardian Angel" - they both have the aliens turning out to look just like demons, but in the short story it's the punchline and in the novel it's just the beginning.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Gyver posted:

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I remember some book that was being given away by my middle school library. I read a few pages of it then quit for some reason.

It had a bunch of kids in school with their (female) teacher. They were outside and the kids kept rubbing their faces on the grass because it was so rare in the world for some reason. But the teacher kept telling them to not hurt the grass. Then later in the book a bunch of bad people (terrorists? nationalists? i don't remember) broke into the school and held the kids/teacher hostage for some reason.

Any help? Maybe? Thanks in advance.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

vegaji posted:

I remember some book that was being given away by my middle school library. I read a few pages of it then quit for some reason.

It had a bunch of kids in school with their (female) teacher. They were outside and the kids kept rubbing their faces on the grass because it was so rare in the world for some reason. But the teacher kept telling them to not hurt the grass. Then later in the book a bunch of bad people (terrorists? nationalists? i don't remember) broke into the school and held the kids/teacher hostage for some reason.

Any help? Maybe? Thanks in advance.
I think this is Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down by Irene Schram. Was the teacher called Miss Love?

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Rocambole posted:

I think this is Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down by Irene Schram. Was the teacher called Miss Love?
Wow, yes, I believe that is it. I can't find anything about it online, but that sounds extremely familiar and I do remember something about kids singing Ashes, Ashes in the book. Thanks!

Is it actually a good book? It seemed very strange to my 12 year old mind when I was reading it so I probably stopped because of that.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
It might be a Douglas Adams: I am thinking of a book where they come across a village where it is customary to store the mummified remains of the ancestors within their houses. The protagonist takes a sample of the remains, with a knife I think, and it turns out that they are still alive, I think.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

vegaji posted:

Wow, yes, I believe that is it. I can't find anything about it online, but that sounds extremely familiar and I do remember something about kids singing Ashes, Ashes in the book. Thanks!

Is it actually a good book? It seemed very strange to my 12 year old mind when I was reading it so I probably stopped because of that.
I haven't read it for years either, but from what I remember it's extremely strange. Kids and teacher are taken to a sort of experimental prison camp to be killed off one by one, the guards are these weird emotionless guys who have sex with each other in the breakroom (no, I'm not kidding, 70s kids' book :wtc: ) - I may have to track down a copy just to see if it is any good. It seems to be in the William Sleator/House of Stairs vein, if that helps.

nemotrm posted:

It might be a Douglas Adams: I am thinking of a book where they come across a village where it is customary to store the mummified remains of the ancestors within their houses. The protagonist takes a sample of the remains, with a knife I think, and it turns out that they are still alive, I think.
And this is Nine Hundred Grandmothers by RA Lafferty. It's online at http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/lafferty/lafferty1.html

(e: or if it was darker it could be one of the episodes in Joe Haldeman's All My Sins Remembered - it ends with the critically injured bad guy being put into the same kind of suspended animation.)

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 5, 2008

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

enuma elish posted:

This one sounds like Expendable by James Alan Gardner, although the flaw in that story was a birthmark on the cheek. Sound familiar?

Yes thank you, have no idea why I thought her nose was gone.

Kulak
Nov 29, 2005
I read this book about 5-6 years ago. It was French, translated into English. I can't for sure recall whether it was a novel or a play, but the quick summary is as follows:

A well known laywer and his girlfriend (wife or fiance?) are relaxing by a body of water. His girlfriend falls asleep, while she sleeps he witnesses another young lady go into the stream, get caught in the current, and drowns. He doesn't help her out of fear, or maybe he can't swim.

He is then forced to prosecute the drowned girl's boyfriend who is accused of murdering her.

This ring any bells to anyone?

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
I think it was written by Arthur C. Clarke, Joe Haldeman, Robert Sawyer or Neal Stephenson. The only thing I really remember is that at the end of the book an international law is put into place where no country can have more nukes than any other, so every time France disposes of a nuke Russia and the US have to as well.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Rocambole posted:

I haven't read it for years either, but from what I remember it's extremely strange. Kids and teacher are taken to a sort of experimental prison camp to be killed off one by one, the guards are these weird emotionless guys who have sex with each other in the breakroom (no, I'm not kidding, 70s kids' book :wtc: ) - I may have to track down a copy just to see if it is any good. It seems to be in the William Sleator/House of Stairs vein, if that helps.

And this is Nine Hundred Grandmothers by RA Lafferty. It's online at http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/lafferty/lafferty1.html

(e: or if it was darker it could be one of the episodes in Joe Haldeman's All My Sins Remembered - it ends with the critically injured bad guy being put into the same kind of suspended animation.)

It was Haldeman, thanks.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I don't remember who wrote it, but it's available in novel and paperback form. I thought the title was "The Change" but I seem to be mistaken. It's about a man who creates an AI that becomes self aware and creates what it believes to be a utopia. A side story occurs as his ex-wife tries to find where the creator is hiding, and eventually they meet and the AI crashes, sending man back to the stone age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

nemotrm posted:

I think it was written by Arthur C. Clarke, Joe Haldeman, Robert Sawyer or Neal Stephenson. The only thing I really remember is that at the end of the book an international law is put into place where no country can have more nukes than any other, so every time France disposes of a nuke Russia and the US have to as well.

This is from a short story by Joe Haldeman, To Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal.