Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd be completely fine with V either killing or baleful polymorphing elan. Anything to keep him from talking so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Taber posted:

New Strip!

full size

Uh oh, I don't like where V is going here.

That was quite an abrupt 180 of Elan's intelligence.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

shadysight posted:

That was quite an abrupt 180 of Elan's intelligence.

Yea I thought that too. One moment he's being pretty sharp and capably tossing around snarky illusions, and the next he's clueless as a post again. On the other hand, it was probably the best possible way to deal with that confrontation, so maybe he was actuallly being pretty canny.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ashcans posted:

Yea I thought that too. One moment he's being pretty sharp and capably tossing around snarky illusions, and the next he's clueless as a post again. On the other hand, it was probably the best possible way to deal with that confrontation, so maybe he was actuallly being pretty canny.
Perhaps he's been faking being dimwitted all along.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
You know, I really wish that more CRPG's would give you the same opportunity to handle lovely little side-antagonists in the same way that V handled Lord Kubota.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sylphosaurus posted:

You know, I really wish that more CRPG's would give you the same opportunity to handle lovely little side-antagonists in the same way that V handled Lord Kubota.
This is why Fallout 2 is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy (but is really buggy).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just like to think Burlew is using V as the avatar of most of the e-mails he gets and is sort of admitting the whole Azure City thing is the worst thing ever.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I still don't really buy V's going all nutso, the previous strips didn't really give the impression that he was THAT much of a friend to Haley, but I did enjoy him telling Elan to shut the gently caress up and mocking his "You don't know how hard it is to be faithful" thing.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
Great joke forcefully eliminating a dragging storyline and then whoops jump right back in with words words words belaboring the point

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RentACop posted:

I still don't really buy V's going all nutso, the previous strips didn't really give the impression that he was THAT much of a friend to Haley, but I did enjoy him telling Elan to shut the gently caress up and mocking his "You don't know how hard it is to be faithful" thing.

He isnt going nutso. This is perfectly in line with his personality, only its his personality under extreme stress, with no sleep, and racked with guilt and shame over his own failures despite being an incredibly powerful magic user.

also he is an elf(high elf?)

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 2, 2008

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

In addition he is obviously pissed off at everybody else being terribly distracted from the main plot. :shobon:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RentACop posted:

Who says he's worried about Haley he just wants his bestest buddy and sidekick Belkar back.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

New strip, featuring the most metal headstone ever. :rock:

Click here for the full 699x933 image.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Cabbit posted:

New strip, featuring the most metal headstone ever. :rock:

That is a ridiculously awesome headstone.

I wonder if Therkla's going to run into Roy in the afterlife.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ZorbaTHut posted:

That is a ridiculously awesome headstone.

I wonder if Therkla's going to run into Roy in the afterlife.

Doubtful, unless it's immediately after death. There's no way they're of the same alignment.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Roy isn't in LG heaven right now, I think. He's in, for lack of a better term, General Receiving.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I am totally going to sign up for that funerary service.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Well, we're likely due for either Elan to start explaining what happened, or a transition to one of the other two groups, be it Roy or Haley.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

LightWarden posted:

Well, we're likely due for either Elan to start explaining what happened, or a transition to one of the other two groups, be it Roy or Haley.

Well, we're on the cusp of strip #600, so something's gotta happen.

My bet: V runs into that little imp that's still out there, and gets his prophecy fulfilled.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Vanadium posted:

In addition he is obviously pissed off at everybody else being terribly distracted from the main plot. :shobon:

The characters in OotS have often worked on multiple levels -- Miko also being a caricature of players who play jerk paladins, Belkar being a caricature of the high-body-count chaotic player, etc. In this case, V's player is something of a powergamer who really, really hates losing or being powerless. The party's already hosed up one encounter with Xykon and got spanked in another, the Elan side-plots are full of RP possibilities but not a whole lot else, and Elan's basically been about as useful as a -4 suit of ham-sandwich-maille against Xykon anyway; this is the part of the campaign where a powergamer-type would start to get really sick of the RPer's bullshit.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Actually the only thing V is doing is roleplaying. If he really wants to break through Xykon's cloister spell he shouldn't be researching (as Haley told him in the origins book) she should be out there killing things for XP.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
You know, I found the engraving on the headstone rather touching. Maybe I'm going soft.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Strudel Man posted:

Perhaps he's been faking being dimwitted all along.

I get the impression from the most recent strip that Elan couldnt bring himself to fully understand what V was saying to him. He does get the general gist of whats happening to him, he admits as much to dead Therkla. "What would Roy do about Varsuvius?" He knows something really ugly is going down.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

You know, you'd think V would keep a Fox's Cunning memorized for making Elan competent in an emergency. Even if not, it would never hurt to have on hand to pump his own spells' save DCs (unless that headband he wears is an intellect booster, which wouldn't suprise me).

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
You're forgetting that V considers everything except for him and his magic to be worthless. Doing something like that would be admitting that he might need Elan's help at some point; not something he's about to do.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Hardly. He had an Owl's wisdom memorized that he used to allow belkar to cast a cure light wounds scroll way way back.

Could make for a joke where he tries to explain something to Elan, gives him the buff, then Elan ceases to understand the concept when the spell wears off or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
New Strip.

V has definitely cracked.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Looks like IMJack is on to something.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Burlew dropped the ball in that last panel, it should have been 'Attack of Opportunity' joke :colbert:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heh, "gotcha" questions :D

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yes Burlew, please further split up the cast and prevent us from advancing the main plot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At this point I think he's scrambling for stuff to do because he can't decide how he wants to reunite the party.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, an "easy" route would be something along the lines of:

Let Var be talked into "gaining power" by the little imp thing, commence demonic possession followed by carnage in the general vicinity. Draw separated party from various directions to fight said carnage, resurrecting Roy pre-conflict as party regroups for tactical nous. Battle with demon-Var, be ready to kill them before Elan convinces otherwise in typical clichéd hero style. Save the day, rescuing a conveniently threatened township/city, deposit people on ships in the grateful city to help with rebuild/repopulation.

Then go and get on with their original quest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know what would be even easier? Have Belkar's group's cleric friend use god drat sending, since he wouldn't be affected by cloister and tell him to say "Yo! This is where we are!"

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

mango sentinel posted:

Yes Burlew, please further split up the cast and prevent us from advancing the main plot.
Split up? V's going into NPC-land, I reckon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mango sentinel posted:

You know that 'main plot' came hundreds of strips in, right? Also, who cares? Was everyone pissed off during the awesome Nale kidnapping Roy's sister plot too, back in the day?

Are you so tired of reading OOTS that you want Burlew to sprint to the end of it, just to get it over with, or something?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 9, 2008

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

You know that 'main plot' came hundreds of strips in, right? Also, who cares? Was everyone pissed off during the awesome Nale kidnapping Roy's sister plot too, back in the day?

Are you so tired of reading OOTS that you want Burlew to sprint to the end of it, just to get it over with, or something?

To be honest, a little bit

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think people are so tired of reading the side plot that really doesn't matter, that they want ANYTHING related to the main plot to happen.

I'd like to see something involved with the gates, but I'm happy with the journey, as long as Burlew doesn't keel over before it finishes.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Wow, first of all I should have learned by now that there is a thread for everything on SA. Now then, after skimming the first 130 odd pages I have a few questions;
1) Why is everyone referring to "V" as a guy?
2) Why do some of you want this story to end prematurely?

Beyond that it's good to have fellow fans to converse with :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Kleedrac posted:

Wow, first of all I should have learned by now that there is a thread for everything on SA. Now then, after skimming the first 130 odd pages I have a few questions;
1) Why is everyone referring to "V" as a guy?
2) Why do some of you want this story to end prematurely?

Beyond that it's good to have fellow fans to converse with :)

1) Some do, some don't. His/her gender is intentionally ambiguous, though some argue Burlew originally intended V to be male.

2) Not prematurely, but some feel that this sidequest is taking too much time, and want to get back to the main plot. Most like the Order better when they are together.