Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zenaida posted:

Whoa, I just noticed the surrealist chain.

Nah, its just that the front and rear sprockets are the same size. The swingarm is a wear item. After the chain grinds through it, you just buy a new one.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
You know, while I wouldn't want to buy that thing, I really believe that as an artistic impression it is not that bad - I mean, if someone wants to (And is capable of) building a project bike they will take the engine and most details off an existing bike. Drawing a motorized steed of one's Dreams is a thing of emotion and as such beyond my criticism. You can't draw something like that while dragging your finger along a shopping list and getting the dimensions just right.

As a project, it is horrible and with serious design flaws. As a vision, a concept, it is something that could perhaps be refined into something both functional and pretty to the eyes of its owner.

(Yes, I have drawn my own vision of a Superior Motorbike but I have no intention of posting it.)

Duuk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 30, 2008

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
This is my Ninja EX500R 1999 that I got for 2200 last year.

Outside during sunset yesterday
https://wi.somethingawful.com/1b/1bace99e2858799a04f5b7c830484abf8c58551b.jpg

Just a few minutes ago in the garage before I head to school:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/46/46e635b5164ffe5e877bfe64c7d311bebd6dda95.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/94/94ad97669fd84481c2a0693417a0f231dd3674ef.jpg

This is my family's bikes. From left to right, my dad's Kawasake 2006(I think) Mean Street 1600, my Ninja, and my mom's Harley 850(Not sure which model). My sister is getting her motorcycle license this weekend so we'll have a 4th bike.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/db/db982ea57776a82d097e975b485928892fd39fb8.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Duuk posted:

You know, while I wouldn't want to buy that thing, I really believe that as an artistic impression it is not that bad - I mean, if someone wants to (And is capable of) building a project bike they will take the engine and most details off an existing bike. Drawing a motorized steed of one's Dreams is a thing of emotion and as such beyond my criticism.

As a project, it is horrible and with serious design flaws. As a vision, a concept, it is something that could perhaps be refined into something both functional and pretty to the eyes of its owner.

(Yes, I have drawn my own vision of a Superior Motorbike but I have no intention of posting it.)

I would agree, minus the whole "immune to criticism" thing. I mean, come on: That bike would be hardly capable of getting out of it's own way with with a single wedged in there, and there are things about it that simply don't make sense. Art is good and fine, but you can't expect to build something true to form if you can't be bothered to make sure that some basics are taken care of, like your chain actually, you know, transmits drive power to the rear wheel and stuff.

If you want an artsy bike, that's good and fine, but if you expect to build something, you better take some time with a shopping list of dimensions and make sure that it's physically possible to build something.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Z3n posted:

I would agree, minus the whole "immune to criticism" thing. I mean, come on: That bike would be hardly capable of getting out of it's own way with with a single wedged in there, and there are things about it that simply don't make sense. Art is good and fine, but you can't expect to build something true to form if you can't be bothered to make sure that some basics are taken care of, like your chain actually, you know, transmits drive power to the rear wheel and stuff.

Yeah, when I said that I meant that the artistic impression it is beyond my criticism, as in I won't be saying "naked bikes are stupid" because if he likes them, fire ahead. (Also naked bikes rock)

As a mechanism, I agree, it is quite apalling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You drew that, didnt you.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

You drew that, didnt you.

Yes.

(no)

Edit: You know, I just took a look at my own doodles and I have to say they are almost as flawed as the drawing on the last page. I don't have things going through my suspension and quantum swingarms but I DO have a relatively smudgy scribble where the fairing doesn't cover the innards and I do have a front fork that would bend and fail if you tried a stoppie because it is so thin. Also, I just realised I don't even have a gear lever. Partially because the doodle is unfinished and partially because I sincerely don't know where the most comfortable place for a gear lever would be.

Eh, I give up. My point is when I become rich and famous, I will make a real project before building my crazy two wheeler of insanity. As of now, I am not rich and famous and just playing without regard to the exact pattern of bolts on the wheels. I wouldn't have even replied if some of the comments hadn't been towards matters of taste (such as the empty space below the seat for example - if he wants empty space below the seat and is somehow capable of obtaining it just go the gently caress ahead for all I care).

Duuk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 30, 2008

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Ola posted:

Sounds exactly like mine when the charging system poo poo a brick, so you're probably right about it being an alternator problem. It won't start with kicking because the spark simply isn't strong enough. A multimeter and an hour of googling should provide a great troubleshooting procedure.

Thanks, I poked around with my multimeter and found that I have a bad stator!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I always hated my Yellow bike..

So i got a black one!

These stickers are seriously ugly, but atleast i can sell it as an 09 in a couple of years. The front stickers served as great bug protection and where gone minutes after arriving home.

Rode it home 100km's from the dealer so i could avoid the highways, and that was terrible. Decided to run past a mate at work, only to find he wasn't there, and a tar road that had been laid that day, and then a gravel road.

Any reluctance i had before putting the money down (people saying it was so slow) was gone the second i got on it, at 6"4 this thing is like an armchair compared to the GS, and i can still touch down with 2 feet, now 1000 slow kms. :(

I need to cut that fender.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ-SM's are so loving cool. If you cant have fun on one, you're dead on the inside.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Dubs posted:

DRZgoodness

Very nice.

DRZ's are just silly awesome. You'll find yourself having a absolute blast at a completely different riding style and pace that you did before.

Plus they are stupidly fast in the corners. A word of warning for you: The plastics, in black, will be scratched within 48 hours. Anywhere your boot, or a bit of metal on your pants, or a jacket comes into contact with those plastics is going to leave a scar.

And keep an eye on the how many miles your going per tank. During break in you have to be good, but once you can flog it, she'll run out of gas sooner than you think.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I have a DRZ400SM as well and I get about 140ish before I run flat out of gas. I only get close to 90 before I hit the reserve, so I always leave it on reserve and just track my miles on the trip-meter.

I get 55 mpg when I treat mine nice, just over 50 when I ride it hard. Have fun on it, once you get used to riding it you will be in love. The counter-leaning thing takes some getting used to but once I figured out how to ride it I gained a ton of speed in corners. (I have never rode a dirtbike, so I had no idea about counter-leaning)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh jesus now I want a Dual Sport!! gently caress I hate not being able to make up my mind!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Took her out again this afternoon for a nice slow break-in stroll, that was until i got here.

This bike really is fun, soaks up the lovely roads too which is a big bonus, just swings side to side without even thinking.

I kept finding myself staring down these roads tho... After its broken in maybe.

Highlight was as i'm rolling around off throttle in a small town telling myself its not THAT loud, i see i small kid on his plastic scooter with his head between his legs and hands over his ears.. Ooops.

And then i ran out of gas, and the sun went down!

The dealer had to Yoshi in the backroom for a year or so and couldn't get rid of it so i got it and the bike jetted for about 40% of the pipes cost, But i think its running a bit lean and i think ill pull the snorkel and maybe cut the airbox fairly soon.

24.4% Broken in, The front brake on this thing is definitely trying to kill me though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dubs posted:

The dealer had to Yoshi in the backroom for a year or so and couldn't get rid of it so i got it and the bike jetted for about 40% of the pipes cost, But i think its running a bit lean and i think ill pull the snorkel and maybe cut the airbox fairly soon.

:confused: That will just make it run leaner.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
My brother just got his bike back from being repaired after some shithead plowed into him. He decided to replace the factory exhaust with this:

It is absolutely absurd/amazing sounding. The highway runs behind our apartment, and I can literally hear him coming from MILES away. He said he had no idea it was going to be this loud, and probably wouldn't have done it if he knew...but oh well :) Power down is also up, so much that it feels like an entirely new bike. I guess the combination of new plugs and the exhaust really woke it up. And he's gone for the weekend too, which means I get to ride to my heart's content.

Riding to work this morning it was 40* out and I was so cold, but so happy.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

My brother just got his bike back from being repaired after some shithead plowed into him. He decided to replace the factory exhaust with this:

It is absolutely absurd/amazing sounding. The highway runs behind our apartment, and I can literally hear him coming from MILES away. He said he had no idea it was going to be this loud, and probably wouldn't have done it if he knew...but oh well :) Power down is also up, so much that it feels like an entirely new bike. I guess the combination of new plugs and the exhaust really woke it up. And he's gone for the weekend too, which means I get to ride to my heart's content.

Riding to work this morning it was 40* out and I was so cold, but so happy.

Make sure your bro had the battery disconnected for a few minutes after the new pipes were installed. Apparently, the ECU will re-calibrate based on the new pipes and the bike will run smoother than if he just swapped them and started it up. My wife has an FZ6 and this was the case with hers. She bought it with Leo Vince pipes on it, but it was running a little rough. I found out about the battery trick and it ran MUCH better afterward.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

FunkyJunk posted:

Make sure your bro had the battery disconnected for a few minutes after the new pipes were installed. Apparently, the ECU will re-calibrate based on the new pipes and the bike will run smoother than if he just swapped them and started it up. My wife has an FZ6 and this was the case with hers. She bought it with Leo Vince pipes on it, but it was running a little rough. I found out about the battery trick and it ran MUCH better afterward.

For an upgrade to my current 96 Seca II, I'm debating an FZR, an EN-6r, or a Ninja Zx6r. Anyone have a preference and why?

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

ari.gato posted:

For an upgrade to my current 96 Seca II, I'm debating an FZR, an EN-6r, or a Ninja Zx6r. Anyone have a preference and why?

I've always found the FZR to be a bit primitive. I'd say reduce your choices to the EN-6r or ZX6r. They're different enough that the final decision should lie in what you want to do with them. The EN will be a better "do it all" bike and will be more comfortable, while the ZX6R will be a better sportbike, probably with better suspension, brakes, etc.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

FunkyJunk posted:

I've always found the FZR to be a bit primitive. I'd say reduce your choices to the EN-6r or ZX6r. They're different enough that the final decision should lie in what you want to do with them. The EN will be a better "do it all" bike and will be more comfortable, while the ZX6R will be a better sportbike, probably with better suspension, brakes, etc.

Don't forget the ZZR-600 is still available. $7300 new vs. $9300 for a new ZX-6R.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FunkyJunk posted:

There's a new FZR coming out. Or maybe he was refering to the FZ6?

I'd take the FZ6 or the EN-6r. Sportbikes are great for posing, but poo poo for daily driving after you get over how awesome they are.

ZZR600 if you want people to think you have a sportbike but still ride in (some) comfort.

twizzler
Feb 15, 2001
I recently sold my beloved DR650 and bought a new Ulysses XB12XT. It has everything I loved about the DR and is vastly superior in the areas the DR lacked. :)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I always thought the Ulysses would be a good alternative to a BMW adventure bike, at least for street riding. It sounded like a well handling bike from the all the initial reviews, but that there were some teething issues. Did you read up on what had been fixed over the past few years it's been out?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I'll update this afternoon with pictures, but I just got myself an 85 GPZ750 project bike. It's cosmetically not the best, but it's going to be a drag bike come next year, so I'm OK with that. It's had some recent servicing, carbs rebuilt, etc. and seems to run well. The fairing, tank and side panels just need to be sanded down, primered and re-painted. I'm also going to remove the mirrors, blinkers, horn - pretty much anything I won't need on the track.

Edit: Pictures

Bike without front fairing, I was taking the turn signals and mirrors off.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Front fairing. It has a crack on the other side by the mirror mount, but not too bad.

Blurry pic of the bike as it sits tonight.

I Might even take the front fairing off for good if I ever decide to use the bike on the street, and move the headlight back, chop the tail...make a steetfighter-looking thing out of it.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 4, 2008

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Here is my 99 ninja ex250. Green and purple looks like crap.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

sigtrap posted:

heated grips

You will adore these, even on a slightly chilly day heated grips make life on a bike so much nicer. Cold fingers don't work as swiftly and accurately as toasty ones. I was able to ride in 3 degree(F) conditions with some good gauntlets and my heaters cranked. Prior to the grips I was having issues when the temps dipped into the teens.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Here's my 07 Yamaha R6. I've got my Akrapovic full exhaust coming tomorrow. I have a friend who's got one and it sounds fantastic.

I had a friend wire up these LED turn signals. They are extrememly bright both day and night.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

OptimusMatrix posted:

Ha, you had to use photoshop to cover that up. You can just use your foot you know, just like all the people at toll booths.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Ha, you had to use photoshop to cover that up. You can just use your foot you know, just like all the people at toll booths.

Joke's on you buddy. I used paint. I don't know the first thing about photoshop.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
These last few years of R6 have been probably the hottest japanese-made bike ever. They just look SO good.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

OptimusMatrix posted:

Joke's on you buddy. I used paint. I don't know the first thing about photoshop.

:argh:

But seriously though, that bike looks loving awesome.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The R6 always looks like it's going to impale whatever comes its way with those side blades. It really is the best looking Japanese inline 4 of them all.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
It certainly looks stunning, but that seat looks so uncomfortable to me -- I know no one with an R6.

How is it on your longer rides?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

kcer posted:

It certainly looks stunning, but that seat looks so uncomfortable to me -- I know no one with an R6.

How is it on your longer rides?

When I first got I went 50 miles and I felt like my rear end fell off. But I ride everyday and it's starting to break in so it's more comfortable. I haven't ridden over 150 miles in a day but I think it would be ok now. I was actually thinking of getting a Gel insert and having this guy redo the cover so that you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference. I'll probably hold off until next summer though.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

There's a new FZR coming out. Or maybe he was refering to the FZ6?

Yeah I was referring to the FZ6, but wha-wha-wha?! New FZR? I love the way the original 89-93's looked. Anyone know of any pics or info?

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
My 1999 VFR. I picked it up a few weeks ago, riding it like crazy before it cools off too much more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Yeah I was referring to the FZ6, but wha-wha-wha?! New FZR? I love the way the original 89-93's looked. Anyone know of any pics or info?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modeloverview/cat/2009/58/model_overview.aspx

prolifik
Apr 27, 2004
Man that bike looks awesome.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006
Finally got some pictures of my bike.
Aw yeah, suckas.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Are those gigantic intakes there for anything or do they just exist to make it look like a goddamn YF-23?