Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Wow, thanks a lot for the writeup.

If you want a massive thread, filled with lots of back and forth about this issue, check out the one I started when I first considered helimot stuff. It's long as hell, but it's got some decent reports. The biggest selling post for me was when "khill" posted...ken hill is one of the killer fast guys out here and has been using helimot stuff for ages and never gotten injured.

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229318

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Z3n posted:

If you want a massive thread, filled with lots of back and forth about this issue, check out the one I started when I first considered helimot stuff. It's long as hell, but it's got some decent reports. The biggest selling post for me was when "khill" posted...ken hill is one of the killer fast guys out here and has been using helimot stuff for ages and never gotten injured.

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229318

Hoooooooly poo poo license2ill is like a motorcycle hocus :cawg::holy:

edit: apparently I just spent 40 minutes reading that thread so far

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Arai, Shoei, Suomy, AGV, as well as a few offbeats spring to mind (OGK, Nolan, Schubert, Caberg). A lot of helmet availability is regional, though.

Scorpion is a good entry level brand, but I've found that their liners tend to break down at around 6 months to a year, whereas my arai was still fine after a year of constant use.

MOST IMPORTANT: Quality brand or not, they will all protect your head. The real difference is in fit and finish. Find an Arai, Suomy, AGV, or Shoei vender booth and get your head measured and figure out what helmet and combination of cheekpads/liners will fit you the best. Those guys are the experts and will get you a helmet that you'll be happy wearing all day long. Most of the people who don't like their helmets are wearing ones that are the wrong shape and size for them.

Thanks for your suggestions! I found my new helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Hoooooooly poo poo license2ill is like a motorcycle hocus :cawg::holy:

edit: apparently I just spent 40 minutes reading that thread so far

Yeah, license2ill is...a character.

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks for your suggestions! I found my new helmet.

Those are really, really nice helmets. I'm sure you'll love it :) Only downside to arais is their wonky visor change system, which they REALLY need to update.

Also: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Webbikeworld is a great resource for helmet stuff.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
I just had to pay $56 to get the zipper on my Dainese Zen jacket replaced. Stupid Italian craftsmanship.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

greg_graffin posted:

I just had to pay $56 to get the zipper on my Dainese Zen jacket replaced. Stupid Italian craftsmanship.

The zipper pull broke on mine and that's when I discovered that they use a proprietary zipper. I just found a small keyring to use as my new zipper pull.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

bung posted:

The zipper pull broke on mine and that's when I discovered that they use a proprietary zipper. I just found a small keyring to use as my new zipper pull.
I wish mine could have been fixed that easily. The bottom stop tore completely off the jacket and so there was no way to get the two parts of the zipper to join together.

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

civilian.d posted:

I've looked at the Scala Rider Q2, and I'm very interested in it as a bluetooth headset for my helmet, but I'd love to use it for music when not in calls... the Scala Rider Q2 might do what i need in a bit of a roundabout way. plug a small FM transmitter into my ipod, tune the built in FM receiver in to hear music while having it connected to iphone via bluetooth to be able to answer calls.

civilian.d, this is what I did to get my xm radio receiver to 'transmit' to my Scala Q2 -- the XM receiver I have has a built-in FM transmitter which was set to broadcast to a particular frequency, then the q2 is set to receive on that frequency. (We found it a PITA to get the q2 frequency set, but once you're past that hurdle you're in good shape.) The audio quality is reasonably good. My husband did a similar thing with his XM radio and his q2, except he had to buy a small FM transmitter for his audio out port on his XM radio, and that also worked well.

There are only two downsides to this approach that might make you consider earbuds for your music instead (we didn't think these were a big deal):
(1) your scala Q2 battery will run down more quickly when you're using it to listen to music. Think 5 hours of battery life versus 8-10 hours.
(2) if you're traveling, sooner or later you'll ride into an area where your chosen frequency will get trampled on by some local radio station.

The scala q2 is pretty bulletproof, and reasonably rain-resistant as long as you make sure and replace the cap on the charging outlet on the scala after charging. We used two q2s on a 6000-mile trip through the eastern US and Canada in September, including some very long days, rain, a gravel crash for each of us, my husband dropped his helmet twice right on his Scala, and they did great. Very worth their cost.

webwench fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 3, 2008

bung
Dec 14, 2004

greg_graffin posted:

I wish mine could have been fixed that easily. The bottom stop tore completely off the jacket and so there was no way to get the two parts of the zipper to join together.

DId you have it fixed by Dainese or did you have someone local replace the zipper?

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

bung posted:

DId you have it fixed by Dainese or did you have someone local replace the zipper?
It was out of warranty by a few months when the zipper broke, so I dropped it off at a local place earlier today. I'll let you know in a week how it looks.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?
Are AGV leathers any good? Suddenly I find myself needing gear for next weekend and the more reasonably priced stuff that https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com has in my size is AGV stuff such as: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/7011/ITEM/AGV-Sport-Torino-Leather-Jacket.aspx and http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/7023/ITEM/AGV-Sport-Aegis-Pro-Line-Leather-Pants.aspx .

How do 'riding shoes' compare to full boots? I'm talking about something like this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/7519/ITEM/Alpinestars-Octane-Riding-Shoes.aspx

Are there any brands of helmet that are priced below Arai, Shoei, and Suomy but are relatively high quality?

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

webwench posted:

civilian.d, this is what I did to get my xm radio receiver to 'transmit' to my Scala Q2 -- the XM receiver I have has a built-in FM transmitter which was set to broadcast to a particular frequency, then the q2 is set to receive on that frequency. (We found it a PITA to get the q2 frequency set, but once you're past that hurdle you're in good shape.) The audio quality is reasonably good. My husband did a similar thing with his XM radio and his q2, except he had to buy a small FM transmitter for his audio out port on his XM radio, and that also worked well.

There are only two downsides to this approach that might make you consider earbuds for your music instead (we didn't think these were a big deal):
(1) your scala Q2 battery will run down more quickly when you're using it to listen to music. Think 5 hours of battery life versus 8-10 hours.
(2) if you're traveling, sooner or later you'll ride into an area where your chosen frequency will get trampled on by some local radio station.

The scala q2 is pretty bulletproof, and reasonably rain-resistant as long as you make sure and replace the cap on the charging outlet on the scala after charging. We used two q2s on a 6000-mile trip through the eastern US and Canada in September, including some very long days, rain, a gravel crash for each of us, my husband dropped his helmet twice right on his Scala, and they did great. Very worth their cost.

excellent info - thanks. :) i bought a really nice set of earbuds w/ the mic thing for my iphone this morning, so i'm gonna try that route first. ( http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe%20duo.aspx ) i think i can find a way to kinda wedge the mic up into the mouth area of my helmet so it'll work out ok if i get a call. just gotta put a finger to my mouth to press the answer button real quick (it's on the mic - multifunctions as a pause/play track skip button for audio playback). if i have issues with making this setup work, then the Q2 will be my next investment.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

buns of molybdenum posted:

Are AGV leathers any good? Suddenly I find myself needing gear for next weekend and the more reasonably priced stuff that https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com has in my size is AGV stuff such as: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/7011/ITEM/AGV-Sport-Torino-Leather-Jacket.aspx and http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/7023/ITEM/AGV-Sport-Aegis-Pro-Line-Leather-Pants.aspx .

How do 'riding shoes' compare to full boots? I'm talking about something like this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/7519/ITEM/Alpinestars-Octane-Riding-Shoes.aspx

Are there any brands of helmet that are priced below Arai, Shoei, and Suomy but are relatively high quality?

Ok...Agv is decent. They're not amazing, but I have friends who are happy with theirs.

Riding shoes are slightly better than normal shoes but they don't protect like good boots. For casual riding they'd be ok but i'd want real boots for any serious riding. Of course, you could argue that casual riding is more dangerous but your choice.

On helmets, the price will determine fit and finish, so that is what you are paying for. Its arguable if higher cost helmets really protect better. What you do get is a more quiet, higher quality helmet that probably won't wear out as fast.

Other good brands are scorpion, hjc, OGK, Nolan and agv. Agv quality varies heavily on price, their high end stuff competes with arai, etc., their low end stuff is more like hjc. Price also varies depending on area...it's difficult to get Nolan in the us, but occasionally really good deals are found as a result.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
I was trying on gear today due to just getting my learners bike permit and I ran into the problem where all the leather jackets I tried on were not only a little lose around my mid section but pretty lose around my arms. I am a pretty tall and thin guy and even trying on the medium jackets that were way too short on me the arms still had plenty of room for the armor to rotate and be basically useless.

What are my options here, is it possible to get a custom jacket or are there brands that like to do odd sizes. Are fabric jackets more forgiving with spacing and such.

I do plan to go back to the dealers and gear shops and discuss my problem with them in a day or two and see what they can offer but I wanted to know if anyone had similar problems and how you overcame it.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
http://www.tigerangel.com.au/ make custom stuff in Australia, there is another place too that is cheaper but i cant remember the name. People talk about the TA stuff as the second coming though.

It'd be an absolute shitload cheaper to just eat a tonne of cheeseburgers though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

DiZ posted:

I was trying on gear today due to just getting my learners bike permit and I ran into the problem where all the leather jackets I tried on were not only a little lose around my mid section but pretty lose around my arms. I am a pretty tall and thin guy and even trying on the medium jackets that were way too short on me the arms still had plenty of room for the armor to rotate and be basically useless.

What are my options here, is it possible to get a custom jacket or are there brands that like to do odd sizes. Are fabric jackets more forgiving with spacing and such.

I do plan to go back to the dealers and gear shops and discuss my problem with them in a day or two and see what they can offer but I wanted to know if anyone had similar problems and how you overcame it.

If you live in a city, you should be able to find a leather shop who will make you a custom motorcycle jacket. Otherwise, just buy a jacket that fits your arm length and get used to the space around your chest.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

DiZ posted:

From what I've tried on, fabric jackets usually have longer sleeves because people aren't looking for that body-hugging feel as they do with leather. I have to go down a size on fabrics because the sleeves are always so long with most manufacturers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DiZ posted:

Unfortunantly, if you really want to be protected, you'll probably have to go with custom stuff. You want your gear to fit skin tight so that if you go down, things don't move around. You may be able to find some brands that fit tall skinny guys, but motorcycle sizing is a bit of a hassle anyways, without throwing tall and skinny into the mix...try on everything you can get your hands on, see if there's anything out there that fits, otherwise you may be able to work with a standard leather jacket and some underfitting body armor like the bohn stuff.

Ie something like this under a leather jacket. May be too much of a pita though...

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Does anyone have experience with full-on motocross boots for regular street riding? I'm thinking specifically Sidi Flex Force or Crossfires. I've gathered from other forums that they really are the best boot available as far as protection goes, but I don't know how well they'd work for street use.

I don't mind taking them off at my destination, I'm not planning on walking through the mall with them on, I'm looking at it from a "safety first" perspective. I just wonder if they make shifting really difficult because they're so rigid side-to-side. (I may be wrong, but I think off-road racing doesn't involve a lot of gear shifting.)

These are the boots in question:
http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=42

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

DiZ posted:

I'm fairly tall and skinny, 6'4" and 11 or so stone, plus really narrow shoulders. The fabric jackets were a better fit for me in the arms department but even so, I had to clinch the waist straps in fairly tightly. I think my jacket is made by Jofama (swedish company I think) but I wasn't looking at brands when I was buying, I was just trying everything on. I wouldn't say the armour rides around, but it definitely slips a little bit. I took mine out soon after I bought it and curved it into the shape of my elbows and shoulders a bit more.

Going back to what z3n was saying about the jacket not riding up, most of the time I'm wearing my motorbike trousers as well and they zip to my jacket so they're less likely to ride up or down in an accident. I am well aware that the zip is likely to fail under stress though.

But I'd much rather have something with the right arm length and slightly baggy in the chest than too short on the arms and snug around the chest. If it's too short in the arms, it's more likely to be uncomfortable and/or cold in the wind and it's going to let rain in. If it's uncomfortable, it's less likely you'll wear it. And if you're not wearing it, it's not going to give any protection.

*edit*

LifeSizePotato posted:

Does anyone have experience with full-on motocross boots for regular street riding? I'm thinking specifically Sidi Flex Force or Crossfires. I've gathered from other forums that they really are the best boot available as far as protection goes, but I don't know how well they'd work for street use.

I wear these almost whenever I'm on my bike. I don't find shifting too difficult compared to trainers or my steel-toe-capped boots but it's definitely slightly less effortless, but it did take a while to wear them in. I don't find the side to side stiffness the problem, you just move the boot instead of the toe, it's more the ankle rigidity that makes life more challenging. I find I'm changing by moving most of my leg rather than just flicking the toes upwards.

I didn't buy them for the safety (though they are brilliantly safe, been through a front wheel washout into lowside with me still on the bike, ground the side of the boot along the ground for 10-15 metres and they're almost untouched), I bought them because I have wierd shaped feet and the ankle strap means that they don't move around when I'm wearing them.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 4, 2008

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
I'm looking for solid leather pants and jacket. I'm 6'5", 215lbs, 35" inseam. What brands tend to be on the taller and thinner side? I'm looking at FirstGear, they have tall sizes for their jackets. Any other manufacturers I should be considering?

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Well went to the gear shops today and they have nothing to cater for the tall and thin, it looks like my only options are to get a custom leather jacket from TigerAngel or to buy some ill fitting fabric gear.

I have been trying for years to fill out my huge frame but knowing my luck after I get a custom jacket made up I bet I fill out straight away. I'll send a quote off anyway for the custom jacket, I don't really want to be riding around with ill fitting stuff and have my elbow grind off if I fall because the armour pad moved.

Hopefully it is not too expensive, one of the blokes at the gear shop said that their stuff is not too expensive at all. No more then a regular leather jacket.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Come to think of it, it might cost about the same as a decent leather jacket from a brick and mortar store. I'm so used to everyone i know importing from America that i didn't think of that. I think you'll pay 6-800 i think from memory, but that could be off because its been a while.

Ridersdiscount does 25$US shipping if your going to Import some stuff to Aus.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Dubs posted:

Come to think of it, it might cost about the same as a decent leather jacket from a brick and mortar store. I'm so used to everyone i know importing from America that i didn't think of that. I think you'll pay 6-800 i think from memory, but that could be off because its been a while.

Ridersdiscount does 25$US shipping if your going to Import some stuff to Aus.

The salesman I spoke too said that TA do suits for about the same as retail so hopefully the jacket runs about the same price. He also said they are very fast, finishing and shipping the product in only a few days rather then if I was to import it and the shipping would take weeks.

I will measure up tomorrow and send the quote in and post up what the price comes back as, this is the style I will be getting, all black but with the front tiger logo in white:

DiZ fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 7, 2008

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Bit of a double post but I think it is warrented. Got the quote back from Tiger Angel pretty fast and it nearly gave me a heart attack.

suit_style:Newcat Classic
Price:
garment total (AUD$) $827.27
Custom made charge (AUD$) $82.73

Sales Tax/VAT/GST $92.20
Freight Total (AUD$) $12.00
Total total (AUD$) $1,014.20

A loving THOUSAND DOLLARS to have a jacket made that would take less leather then a normal jacket would. AND it would take 4 weeks to make and ship. Thats loving unbelievable, maybe I ordered the most expensive jacket they have.

I am going to ring them tomorrow and attempt to get a base price for the other jackets, there are no listings anywhere on the website but it looks like they have the base prices down at the place. At the rate I am going I'll be buying some loving lovely fabric gear that doesn't fit me well and praying I don't have a fall. :mad:

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
So I have an Arai Corsair RX-7 but I really want an AGV Ti-Tech. Anyone know if they fit similar? My Arai fits perfect and was hoping the AGVs fit similar but no one around me carries them.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

So I have an Arai Corsair RX-7 but I really want an AGV Ti-Tech. Anyone know if they fit similar? My Arai fits perfect and was hoping the AGVs fit similar but no one around me carries them.

webbikeworld usually does a good job of mentioning helmet shape. Their review of the Ti-Tech is here...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/agv-helmets/agv-ti-tech.htm

And they also have an overall chart that might help

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

bung
Dec 14, 2004

French Canadian posted:

And they also have an overall chart that might help

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

I wouldn't put too much faith in their helmet shape chart. I used to wear an Arai Quantum which they list as round. I now wear a Shoei X-11 which they list as oval. As far as I can tell the two fit exactly the same. They also have the Scorpion EXO 700 listed as round which I could not wear due to excessive pressure on my forehead.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

DiZ posted:

Bit of a double post but I think it is warrented. Got the quote back from Tiger Angel pretty fast and it nearly gave me a heart attack.

A loving THOUSAND DOLLARS .....

I am going to ring base prices down at the place. At the rate I am going I'll be buying some loving lovely fabric gear that doesn't fit me well and praying I don't have a fall. :mad:

Ouch I knew it would be expensive but not over the tonne.
Are the amy stores near you that can alter leather gear? If you imported something and got it altered you might get out of this without being too expensive in the end.

Or grab a wet weather jacket and wear that around until you can fond something in store that will fit.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

bung posted:

I wouldn't put too much faith in their helmet shape chart. I used to wear an Arai Quantum which they list as round. I now wear a Shoei X-11 which they list as oval. As far as I can tell the two fit exactly the same. They also have the Scorpion EXO 700 listed as round which I could not wear due to excessive pressure on my forehead.

Well, the X-11 is the most oval of the current Shoei helmets, and the EXO is a round helmet, which would explain the pressure on your forehead when wearing it (I had the same problem, I guess you have an oval head?). It sounds like their specs are accurate in that regard, but you did say that the Quantum fit like the Shoei. I know I had some forehead pressure on the Quantum but my head is long-oval so I can only wear the Arai Profile quite honestly.

It would certainly be a bad idea to buy a helmet online without trying it on first. I suppose what I said earlier might not be construed as such.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Dubs posted:

Ouch I knew it would be expensive but not over the tonne.
Are the amy stores near you that can alter leather gear? If you imported something and got it altered you might get out of this without being too expensive in the end.

Or grab a wet weather jacket and wear that around until you can fond something in store that will fit.

Yeah not only did the 1000 dollars nearly kill me but the time frame is pretty long, I mean I can't ride till I get a jacket really so I don't want to wait a month. I am pretty annoyed, I was told that they would be cheaper then that and also faster.

However I have found another jacket custom maker and I spoke to them about my problem and they want me to come in to their shop front and try on some stuff and see if I can get one of their off the shelf jackets altered to fit rather then paying and waiting for a whole new one. The place is Gimoto and the rep I spoke to said the jackets are between 700-850 including alteration, customization and options. Price depends on the jacket selected.

I'll hopefully pop along to the store tomorrow and report back.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Looks like a decent place, post up how you go i might need a two piece made up at some stage.

That's not the other place i've seen either, so there is another place lurking somewhere.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Got confirmation to go in on Sat morning and try on a whole bunch of jackets and stuff that has been premade in a variety of odd sizes.

The other place I have seen Dubs is a place that does only textiles and is called Traxion - http://www.traxion.com.au/custom.htm

Edit- Went well with the Gimoto guy, He had alot of demo jackets there in different styles with different fits. I ended up buying a new line of textile jacket they just started making, it fits nicely I feel protected and comfy so it's great. I will probably still order a leather jacket in the future towards the ozzie winter, and I wiwll be getting it from Gimoto. The bloke was very keen to see me get the gear I wanted, had me sit on some of his own bikes to see how it fitted when in use. Can't recommend him enough.

I also picked up a Shoei RX1000 today at the shops, really happy with it. Same graphics as below.

DiZ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 11, 2008

caine
Apr 10, 2003

I'm very tempted to buy a Dainese summer jacket (the all white Laguna Seca) because I like the styling, fit and cut a lot. Not to mention there is a pretty good deal on it at the local cycle gear. Would it be possible to ride some in the winter months (35-40 degrees+) and try and squeeze a wind proof layer underneath it or should I just nut up and get a multi purpose jacket with a liner like the Dainese Zen or similar.

EDIT: For a little more reference, I just bought a GS500 and want to get leathered up before I do any riding. Cost is negligible and is not factored in to the decision for the most part. I live in the south so it doesn't get terribly cold. Riding would probably be a once or twice a week thing.

caine fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 13, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

caine posted:

I'm very tempted to buy a Dainese summer jacket (the all white Laguna Seca) because I like the styling, fit and cut a lot. Not to mention there is a pretty good deal on it at the local cycle gear. Would it be possible to ride some in the winter months (35-40 degrees+) and try and squeeze a wind proof layer underneath it or should I just nut up and get a multi purpose jacket with a liner like the Dainese Zen or similar.

EDIT: For a little more reference, I just bought a GS500 and want to get leathered up before I do any riding. Cost is negligible and is not factored in to the decision for the most part. I live in the south so it doesn't get terribly cold. Riding would probably be a once or twice a week thing.

Don't put the windbreaker under the jacket, get a nice, tight fitting one, and wear it over the jacket.

The real solution for long distance riding would be an electric vest under just about any jacket.

caine
Apr 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

Don't put the windbreaker under the jacket, get a nice, tight fitting one, and wear it over the jacket.

The real solution for long distance riding would be an electric vest under just about any jacket.

I went ahead and got the Zen jacket with the liner. drat glad I did too, definitely would have been cold this evening riding around with a perf leather jacket. I rode tonight with the liner out and it was just about right. I'm sure once it gets a little colder that liner will come in handy.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I am looking for a fashionable leather motorcycle jacket that looks good on the bike and just to wear around. I am 6'3, 170lbs, with pretty long arms, so I would probably need a tall size. What company would you go through?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Anybody have any thoughts about the HJC AC-12 carbon? My old KBC VR-1 has been dropped on the ground so many times that I no longer trust it. Plus, I'd like a helmet that's a lighter than usual.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

VERTiG0 posted:

Anybody have any thoughts about the HJC AC-12 carbon? My old KBC VR-1 has been dropped on the ground so many times that I no longer trust it. Plus, I'd like a helmet that's a lighter than usual.

Don't know if you are married to HJC or what, but you might want to look into a mid-line Shoei. The TZ-R model is light, simple and a great lid. Arai also makes decently light helmets. Bit pricey and low on "whiz-bang" but very very soild helmets.

For giggles, find a Scorpion EXO1000 to try on. Has pump up cheek pads, an intergrated sun visor and by all accounts a well made helmet. But HOLY poo poo is it heavy, I tried one on and liked the features, then decided to look down and it felt like a 40 pound weight on my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Good: Light, midrange pricewise, huge viewport. Replaceable liners, so as they wear out for 25$ you get a basically brand new helmet. Because cheaper company's liners tend to break down faster, buying a new liner every year can really extend the comfortable life of the helmet. The workmanship on the CF is fantastic.

Bad: Can be very, very loud. Little on the expensive side. Fit can be questionable, and if you're anal about clearcoat, you'll constantly be bothered to touch up ding marks. The first time you drop it you'll hate yourself. Not significantly lighter than the AC12, which is already a drat light helmet.

Webbikeworld is a good source for reviews:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/carbon/

Personally, I'm very partial to Arai and OGK. I think my next helmet will probably be an OGK FF-5. Another excellent brand, although they don't fit me, are the Suomys...if you can try on a vandal, you can get them here for 275$ or so for last years models, and I'd take that over an HJC or a mid level shoei, if it fits, in a heartbeat. IMO, the vandals are one of the best deals for the money for a very, very nice helmet. But if they don't fit you, you're SOL. Worth a look, for sure.

The best thing that you can do is go out and try on helmet after helmet until you get one that feels like it just fits right. So very important. If the best fitting one is the cheapest one, buy 2 and when one starts to break down (because cheaper helmets will have the liners degrade faster) just switch to the other one. They will all protect well enough to save your life, and sometimes a lower cost helmet may even protect better. I use the expensive stuff because at the track, at 120mph, it does make a difference if your helmet is a little bigger or starts to lift at 90mph. For street use, comfort is king.