Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

KilGrey posted:

Like ChairmanMeow said, is there anyone who can stop in and check on them and change the litter if need be? Even if they couldn't make it Christmas Eve and Day it's still better than leaving them alone.

Boarding might be an option. We never intended for someone to chill out and live in our place while we were gone, just stop by daily/every other day to check on the cats and stuff. We left for a long weekend a few months back to go to a wedding in California and this setup worked fine, aside from the cats getting on the counter like they aren't supposed to. The problem is that the person who looked after them last time won't be in town, and neither will any of the people that we would normally turn to, Christmas time seems to evacuate the area. There is a person that I work with that would have no problem dropping in but my fiancee doesn't trust her for whatever reason and refuses to let her in the apartment. I guess we'll have to see how it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Susan B. Antimony posted:

My cat has been throwing up this morning--but he's not actually producing anything. The first time, sure enough, he puked up this greenish gravy-looking barf--now he [every so often, it's not constant] goes through the full vomit routine and acts as though he has thrown up, but nothing comes out. He hasn't eaten this morning--has kibble, ignores it--and he's got plenty of fresh water around. How worried should I be/what should I do?

Take your cat to the vet.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

Take your cat to the vet.

Yeah, doing that--he's got an appointment Friday. Just hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect.

elizardbreath
Nov 20, 2006

They smell my cat!
I have a question about my cat Flash's whiskers. He gets split ends, and sometimes they break off and most of his whiskers are now quite short. It looks pretty ratty and I have no clue why it's happening. I don't think the other cat is chewing on them. Any ideas?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Yeah, doing that--he's got an appointment Friday. Just hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect.

Has he stopped throwing up? Friday is pretty far away, especially since you posted this on Sunday.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

Has he stopped throwing up? Friday is pretty far away, especially since you posted this on Sunday.

Yeah, he only threw up Sunday, but I'm still worried about him. [shrugs] He's eating normally, but seems kind of sluggish . . . to the vet!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Is there an IRC room for PI nerds?

My real question though is about my older cat Persia. She's about 13 months old and was spayed a few months ago. I've always known spaying will make cats a bit more lovey, but she's like a completely different cat. It's like I got the same cat on the outside back, but on the inside she is nothing like she was pre-spay. :( I know they aren't always as playful/rambunctious as before, but she just doesn't play anymore period. She just sort of stares off into space looking depressed. She's even taken to sleeping in odd places she's never slept before. She's a Siamese mix and used to talk and trill every second of the day, and now I'm barely lucky to get a meow a week out of her. Is this extreme change in personality normal?

Her spay was rather traumatic. We got her home and kept her in the bathroom with her food, litter box etc and checked on her every few hours. About midnight when we checked on her there were pools of blood everywhere due to her incision coming open. After rushing her to the emergency vet she had a blood transfusion, fluids etc and she got to come home the next day. She had to wear an e-collar for 12 days while her incision healed. Could this have affected her personality to this extent? Made her depressed?

Obviously I love her regardless, but I think I have some residual guilt over the after spay trauma and if it's some form of depression that I can help her with I want to know. I've just not heard of a post spay personality shift this extreme before.

AnimalZGirl
Jul 3, 2007
Rats!
Something similar happened with my cat Asuka after she got spayed. She became obsessed with food and meowed every minute of every day. Totally different personality. It took us a few months to deal with her food issues and get re-used to each other. It sucked. I took her to the vet but there wasn't anything technically wrong with her. She just got crazy after she was spayed. I'm sure your cat will take some more time to recover, and re-bond with you. she may always be somewhat different but don't let it bum you out too much.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

KilGrey posted:

synirc.net, #petisland

IDK about female cats! Can tell you all about weird year-old neutered male cats though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My question is for anyone here who has a JRT. They're high-energy dogs, way more than our lifestyle allows, but I was wondering about the possibility of an older dog. I've heard they calm down considerably at about 6-7 years old, and tend to be pretty chill in their later years. I like the idea of rescuing an older dog who might not otherwise find a home, but I was wondering: is that really true? I've also heard that some of them get along quite well with cats, while others are determined to chase them.

We have in no way settled on a breed, or even whether we actually want to get a dog in the near future, but this is something we were talking about the other night and neither of us knew for sure.

If we do end up deciding to get a dog, I'll probably post a "help me pick a dog" thread.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

KilGrey posted:

Hell yes, it keeps me from posting poo poo all over the forums and kept my account from being banned so many times.

http://cgiirc.synirc.net/cgi-bin/irc.cgi

Nickname: put in your sa name or something
Server: leave it
Channel: #petisland

You should think about downloading MIRC or some other IRC client though.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt

RazorBunny posted:

My question is for anyone here who has a JRT. They're high-energy dogs, way more than our lifestyle allows, but I was wondering about the possibility of an older dog. I've heard they calm down considerably at about 6-7 years old, and tend to be pretty chill in their later years. I like the idea of rescuing an older dog who might not otherwise find a home, but I was wondering: is that really true? I've also heard that some of them get along quite well with cats, while others are determined to chase them.

We have in no way settled on a breed, or even whether we actually want to get a dog in the near future, but this is something we were talking about the other night and neither of us knew for sure.

If we do end up deciding to get a dog, I'll probably post a "help me pick a dog" thread.

My JRT is only 5 months old, and is really full of energy, but as a puppy that's to be expected. A neighbor has a 5 year old, and he jokes that the JRT only has 2 modes - On & Off. There really isn't a lot of middle ground. Getting along with other critters is iffy, they are bred to be vermin hunters, so anything smaller than them (cat, hamster, mouse, rabbit) can be a potential target. VERY careful introduction and close supervision MIGHT allow them to co-exist.

In my limited experience, the behavior traits descrbed here are fairly accurate

eclectic taste fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 3, 2008

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
I was looking around Craigslist this morning and came across this post http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wan/864883671.html

quote:

Help Our Puppies

Reply to: sale-864883671@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-10-03, 12:03PM EDT

http://www.babydoxies.com/donate.html

All donations are appreciated. It doesn't have to be monetary, any of the items listed are also appreciated for donation!

After clicking on the link, you'll see that it's a BREEDER, and a very irresponsible one at that! Giving away their pups at 6 weeks old for one thing.

Now, I don't know much about breeding, but I really want to email this lady and give her a piece of my mind. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this "CKC" where the dogs are registered-I've never even heard of it. And they have a dachshund with one blue eye and one green eye and they want to breed her? :confused:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My friend (and I, and his dog and mouse) are going out of town this weekend and he's setting off a bug bomb ...fogger ...thingy. If he sets it off Friday afternoon and we come back Sunday evening will it be harmful to bring his pets back into the house? I'm worried about the mouse because she's so small...

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

My friend (and I, and his dog and mouse) are going out of town this weekend and he's setting off a bug bomb ...fogger ...thingy. If he sets it off Friday afternoon and we come back Sunday evening will it be harmful to bring his pets back into the house? I'm worried about the mouse because she's so small...

Open all the doors and windows, and let the house air out for a couple of hours when you get back. The mouse should be safe after that.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

ThirstyGirl posted:

I was looking around Craigslist this morning and came across this post http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wan/864883671.html

After clicking on the link, you'll see that it's a BREEDER, and a very irresponsible one at that! Giving away their pups at 6 weeks old for one thing.

Now, I don't know much about breeding, but I really want to email this lady and give her a piece of my mind. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this "CKC" where the dogs are registered-I've never even heard of it. And they have a dachshund with one blue eye and one green eye and they want to breed her? :confused:

E-mailing her might make you feel better, but it's not going to change anything for them. Also from what I understand "CKC" doesn't mean poo poo. Hell, "AKC" doesn't even make a dog breedable. That website is text book back yard breeder.

drat Bananas posted:

Oh yeah, that's more than enough time. If you are really worried open a window in the mouses room to air it out or call your vet and ask the tech that answers the phone. With bug bombs you usually only have to be out of the home for a few hours, so over a weekend is a long time.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

eclectic taste posted:

My JRT is only 5 months old, and is really full of energy, but as a puppy that's to be expected. A neighbor has a 5 year old, and he jokes that the JRT only has 2 modes - On & Off. There really isn't a lot of middle ground. Getting along with other critters is iffy, they are bred to be vermin hunters, so anything smaller than them (cat, hamster, mouse, rabbit) can be a potential target. VERY careful introduction and close supervision MIGHT allow them to co-exist.

In my limited experience, the behavior traits descrbed here are fairly accurate

See, that's what I'd thought, but then someone was telling me "Oh, no, after about five years old they calm way down and just want to chase a ball once in a while!" and that a lot of them get along with cats as long as the cat doesn't run away from them.

On the other hand, there's an absolutely beautiful hound/spaniel mix at one of the nearby rescues that's totally bombproof, loves kids and cats and other dogs, and likes nothing more than to lay on the couch. Maybe more our speed.

I think the big problem is that my fiance has it in his head that small = good. He's a cat person. Anything much larger than a cat seems big and ungainly, and while he gets that some large breeds actually don't need a lot of room, he's still stuck in the small-breed mindset. I like the personalities of terriers, but I don't think we could give them enough exercise, and with an older cat and a caged pet (rat) in the house, I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally I love big dogs. There's a lovable gangly year-old Dane mix a few towns away that's over a hundred pounds and is pictured taking a nap with the foster family's two cats. I would love nothing more than to give him a good home. They say he's pretty low-key, content to have a good long walk or just run around the backyard chasing tennis balls for twenty or thirty minutes a day. That sounds awesome to me. But this is a dog I only outweigh by about fifteen pounds, so I can understand my fiance's reluctance to an idea like that.

I think we'll be able to compromise if we can find a medium-sized mixed breed of some sort who gets along with cats. I've already spotted a few on Petfinder.

I'm already in love with this little guy:

And he even likes cats! But they say he'd do better in a multi-dog home, so we'd probably have to pass. Still, what a cutie!

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
Any reason a cat would suddenly start excessively grooming herself? I'm getting a little worried she's going to lick herself raw. She's only started this since her last visit to the vet. She seems to focus on trying to lick the back of her neck to the point of exhaustion, but she'll eventually give up on that then lick herself all over till she's slick and then sleep a bit. I'm trying to convince myself she's just sore and stressed out from her antibiotic injection yesterday, though i'm aware it could possibly be her change in diet too but is this the sort of behaviour I should expect?

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Crazedscot posted:

Any reason a cat would suddenly start excessively grooming herself? I'm getting a little worried she's going to lick herself raw. She's only started this since her last visit to the vet. She seems to focus on trying to lick the back of her neck to the point of exhaustion, but she'll eventually give up on that then lick herself all over till she's slick and then sleep a bit. I'm trying to convince myself she's just sore and stressed out from her antibiotic injection yesterday, though i'm aware it could possibly be her change in diet too but is this the sort of behaviour I should expect?

Hmmm. Is she scratching a bunch, too? Lots of scratching and licking can be a sign of a food allergy that makes the animal itchy.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

maplecheese posted:

Hmmm. Is she scratching a bunch, too? Lots of scratching and licking can be a sign of a food allergy that makes the animal itchy.

I was thinking something similar only with the vaccinations since she just had them. I'd call your vet and ask them.

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
She was scratching quite a bit too yes, but not as excessively as she was licking herself. I should also add she seems to be licking her lips quite a bit even when she hasn't been near her food/water far as I can tell, don't know if that's normal or not.

I don't think it was the antibiotics, she had a shot of the same stuff on Wednesday, Clavamox I think, it wasn't till after the shot on Friday that the licking started, and that concides with when I started her on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry which the vet prescribed. After discussing it with Pineapple on #PI i'm leaning towards food allergy, wheat gluten maybe as it's the only ingredient present in the Royal Canin that isn't in the James Wellbeloved she was eating prior to that (UK ingredients seem to differ from the US ones, wheat gluten doesn't seem to be present in the US RC formula.)

She seems to have calmed down a bit, i've been out all evening but she'd clearly still been licking herself when I got home. I've thrown out what was left of the prescription stuff in her bowl and put out some of her old food again, I don't know if that was wise but I really can't spend another day watching her tire herself out trying to lick the back of her neck again. I'll see what the vet says on Monday, i'm supposed to be dropping by to pick up more of the stuff I think she's allergic to anwyay.

Crazedscot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 4, 2008

Plucky
Jun 13, 2006

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.
No matter how often I sweep, there is always litter EVERYWHERE in my room because kitty (4 yrs old) thinks its cool to let her feet settle into her litter, then JUMP out of the box, flinging tidy cats everywhere. I have mats and towels aplenty around her box, but their always seems to be litter everywhere. How do I make my cat slightly less annoying in this respect?

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt

RazorBunny posted:

I think the big problem is that my fiance has it in his head that small = good. He's a cat person. Anything much larger than a cat seems big and ungainly, and while he gets that some large breeds actually don't need a lot of room, he's still stuck in the small-breed mindset. I like the personalities of terriers, but I don't think we could give them enough exercise, and with an older cat and a caged pet (rat) in the house, I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I think the general rule is: Small dog = active, Large dog = Chill. Not true for all dogs & breeds, but a general rule of thumb.

quote:

I think we'll be able to compromise if we can find a medium-sized mixed breed of some sort who gets along with cats. I've already spotted a few on Petfinder.

I'm already in love with this little guy:

And he even likes cats! But they say he'd do better in a multi-dog home, so we'd probably have to pass. Still, what a cutie!

Looks like a cutie, good luck with whatever you settle on.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've got a pet question!

I've been putting advantage flea control for cats under 8 pounds on my cats every month. However, it only seems to eliminate the fleas for about 2 weeks. I haven't weighted my cats, so they may be over 8 lbs.

Last month, I put it on them on the 10th. They seem itchy today so I'd like to put some on them now. It obviously hasn't been a full month. Is there a danger if I put it on them five days earlier than the full month?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've got a pet question!

I've been putting advantage flea control for cats under 8 pounds on my cats every month. However, it only seems to eliminate the fleas for about 2 weeks. I haven't weighted my cats, so they may be over 8 lbs.

Last month, I put it on them on the 10th. They seem itchy today so I'd like to put some on them now. It obviously hasn't been a full month. Is there a danger if I put it on them five days earlier than the full month?

It shouldn't cause them any problems to apply it 5 days early, however, there's something else going on here that is causing it to not work effectively.

Where do you live? Are you in a flea-infested area? In the continental US, you shouldn't be having such a big flea problem right now unless you live in Florida or something.

Where are you getting the Advantage? If you're buying it online you may have gotten expired or counterfeit meds.

Are you doing anything to control the flea population inside & outside your home? Since it seems that you have indoor/outdoor cats you need to do something to kill the fleas in their environment. Just treating the cats won't keep the fleas off properly.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GoreJess posted:

It shouldn't cause them any problems to apply it 5 days early, however, there's something else going on here that is causing it to not work effectively.

Where do you live? Are you in a flea-infested area? In the continental US, you shouldn't be having such a big flea problem right now unless you live in Florida or something.

Where are you getting the Advantage? If you're buying it online you may have gotten expired or counterfeit meds.

Are you doing anything to control the flea population inside & outside your home? Since it seems that you have indoor/outdoor cats you need to do something to kill the fleas in their environment. Just treating the cats won't keep the fleas off properly.

I do live in Florida. They are indoor only. I haven't done anything for the apartment but I will get a flea bomb next Friday. I get the advantage from a pet store that the vet recommended.

I just combed them and that gets rid of 5-10 fleas each so they feel better. Getting a flea bomb is a hassle because the apartment management won't let us do it ourselves, and their guy can only come Friday mornings when my wife is at work and I've got class. I'll figure something out, hopefully I can get them to come at like noon next Friday.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Hellblazer187 posted:

I do live in Florida. They are indoor only. I haven't done anything for the apartment but I will get a flea bomb next Friday. I get the advantage from a pet store that the vet recommended.

I just combed them and that gets rid of 5-10 fleas each so they feel better. Getting a flea bomb is a hassle because the apartment management won't let us do it ourselves, and their guy can only come Friday mornings when my wife is at work and I've got class. I'll figure something out, hopefully I can get them to come at like noon next Friday.

Before you get the apartment bombed, please try the PI method of flea reduction.

1. Vacuum every single square inch of flooring (under the sofa & bed too because fleas like the dark), all upholstered furniture, and your mattress.

2.Wash your bedding & the cats' beds if you can in hot water.

3. Sprinkle borax powder on the carpet & in between the cushions on your sofa. Use a broom to work it into the carpet fibers. Borax will make the fleas dry up, but won't harm you or the cats. Let it sit overnight. Borax is usually packed as "20 Mule Team" & is with the powder laundry detergents.

4. Repeat the vacuuming again the next day. Be sure to immediately empty the vacuum & take the bag to the dumpster.

5. Continue to vacuum thoroughly & you should see the fleas go away. I know it's hard to get rid of fleas when you live somewhere that doesn't get a hard freeze. But you can do it without spraying chemicals everywhere.

Oh, and diatomaceous earth is another flea-busting staple, but I have never used it so I can't give advice there. The food-grade is completely safe & won't harm your kitties should they accidentally ingest some.

/edit/And talk to your vet about other options. I'm not sure what all there is for cats, but I put my dog on a heartworm preventative that also had a flea-growth inhibitor (Sentinel) when I was having extreme issues with fleas.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 5, 2008

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Plucky posted:

No matter how often I sweep, there is always litter EVERYWHERE in my room because kitty (4 yrs old) thinks its cool to let her feet settle into her litter, then JUMP out of the box, flinging tidy cats everywhere. I have mats and towels aplenty around her box, but their always seems to be litter everywhere. How do I make my cat slightly less annoying in this respect?

Get him a covered box he can't jump out of. Specifically one like this. It has stairs that go into it and around to where the litter is. The stairs have little nubs on it that knock the litter off the feet. The cover will keep him from jumping and force him to walk down the stairs due to the angle that they slope.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've got a pet question!

The reason they are coming back is the fleas you see on your animal is only like, 15% of what's in your home. The rest are in various stages of development in the carpet and in bedding. You kill the fleas on your cat, then as it wears off the fleas that are in the eggs hatch and jump back on. What I would recommend is the next time your cats are ready for their Advantage treatment, have the place bombed. The eggs are unfortunately completely water proof so the bomb wont penetrate and kill them however it should make them sterile. That way they wont breed, your cat may get fleas one more time, but the Advantage treatment should take care of it.

Ask your apartment manager what exterminator they use so you can find out what product they have. Perhaps it's something you can purchase and make a deal with your landlord to do it yourself if you use what they want you to use?

I feel your pain as I live in an apartment too. It's difficult because while we can take care of our flea problem, that doesn't mean those around us will and we are stuck with those fleas coming over to our apartments.

GoreJess posted:

Before you get the apartment bombed, please try the PI method of flea reduction.

If the fleas are there, not bombing isn't going to take care of it. The cleaning method is good, but unless he gets in an kills those in places he can't reach and sterilize the eggs they'll keep coming back. The cleaning method outlined is good, but I think the it should be done with the bombing.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Kind of a food question, kind of a health question:

I've had a Shiba Inu puppy for a little over two weeks, she'll be 13 weeks old tomorrow.

The people we bought her from said they had been feeding her Prairie, so we bought that to feed her. She had loose stools from the get go. It eventually turned into fairly bad diarrhea by the end of the first week. We took her in to the vet's office and they couldn't find anything in the stool test, but gave us a general antibiotic to give to her anyways. They also had us get a few cans of Hill's Prescription i/d.

In accordance with the vet's advice, for a couple of days we fed her only the Hill's, and saw immediate improvements in her stools. Then we started mixing in a bit of Prairie and her stools were still decent, but getting slightly looser. We were getting the suspicion that maybe something in Prairie doesn't agree with her, so we bought a bag of Natural Balance (grain free). She had a mixture of Prairie and Natural Balance last night and this morning. We took her outside this morning and her stool was very loose, bordering on diarrhea. :( Any ideas on what the problem could be? (I should also note, she went nuts for the Hill's but has to be coaxed into eating any dry food that we give her.)

We're going into the vet again this week for vaccinations so we'll ask them, but I also wanted to get opinions from people here.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I don't have any suggestions, being a cat owner, but as a general rule, you'll have to give the new food a little while, like at least a week or two, before you can say for sure that it, too, gives your puppy loose stools. Last night and this morning isn't enough time.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Two cats: one mine, the other, my girlfriend's. Took them a while to get along, but now they've reached the point of not only playing with each other, but colluding with each other to disrupt our sleep as much as possible.

Shortly after moving in her cat showed signs of allergies, so the vet put her on prednisone. Due to the increased hunger that prednisone supposedly causes, we've put the cats on a thrice a day feeding schedule; first thing in the morning, right after work, and right before bed. And it got to be funny how well the cats learned our wake-up times; "ha ha, kitty wakes me at 7:30 for feeding when I'm getting up anyway at 7:40." No big deal. Then they started waking us up (biting hair, knocking books off the nightstand, meowing and basically standing on our chests until we notice them) at 7. Then 6:30, then 6.

This morning I was woken up at 5:20am by two cats who just couldn't wait another minute to be fed. How the gently caress do I train these demons to wait until 7:30 again? We're going to try feeding them a little heavier before bedtime (while feeding them lighter in the evening feeding) to keep them full for longer, does this sound like a good idea?

Fishbulbz
Aug 24, 2004

What are the civilian applications?

Noctone posted:

I've had a Shiba Inu puppy for a little over two weeks, she'll be 13 weeks old tomorrow.

The people we bought her from said they had been feeding her Prairie, so we bought that to feed her. She had loose stools from the get go. It eventually turned into fairly bad diarrhea by the end of the first week. We took her in to the vet's office and they couldn't find anything in the stool test, but gave us a general antibiotic to give to her anyways. They also had us get a few cans of Hill's Prescription i/d.

In accordance with the vet's advice, for a couple of days we fed her only the Hill's, and saw immediate improvements in her stools. Then we started mixing in a bit of Prairie and her stools were still decent, but getting slightly looser. We were getting the suspicion that maybe something in Prairie doesn't agree with her, so we bought a bag of Natural Balance (grain free). She had a mixture of Prairie and Natural Balance last night and this morning. We took her outside this morning and her stool was very loose, bordering on diarrhea. :( Any ideas on what the problem could be? (I should also note, she went nuts for the Hill's but has to be coaxed into eating any dry food that we give her.)

We're going into the vet again this week for vaccinations so we'll ask them, but I also wanted to get opinions from people here.

What kind of antibiotics did they give? Is she still on them?

My dogs (Papillons) are prone to sensitive stomachs so I can completely sympathize with your situations. Some things you can try that have worked for me: Fast (no food) for 24 hours. Then, feed small portions of bland food. Boiled hamburger and rice are gentle, I also use baby food (usually chicken) mixed with rice. I'd feed this for at least two days (up to a week). Longer is better, and it help the stomach from having a relapse.

As for dog food, I'd aim for ~24% protein. Later on you can feed higher protein food, once your dog is feeling better. I did this with one of my dogs who had an extended bout of looser stools. He was eating Innova EVO, and the vet recommended a lower protein food. So, I switched to regular Innova for a few weeks and gradually introduced the EVO back into his diet.

I don't know how applicable this advice is for your puppy. Hopefully, she doesn't have food allergies. I imagine the loose stools are just from a change in diet/atmosphere. Can your breeder offer any advice as well?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

jackpot posted:

Two cats: one mine, the other, my girlfriend's. Took them a while to get along, but now they've reached the point of not only playing with each other, but colluding with each other to disrupt our sleep as much as possible.

Shortly after moving in her cat showed signs of allergies, so the vet put her on prednisone. Due to the increased hunger that prednisone supposedly causes, we've put the cats on a thrice a day feeding schedule; first thing in the morning, right after work, and right before bed. And it got to be funny how well the cats learned our wake-up times; "ha ha, kitty wakes me at 7:30 for feeding when I'm getting up anyway at 7:40." No big deal. Then they started waking us up (biting hair, knocking books off the nightstand, meowing and basically standing on our chests until we notice them) at 7. Then 6:30, then 6.

This morning I was woken up at 5:20am by two cats who just couldn't wait another minute to be fed. How the gently caress do I train these demons to wait until 7:30 again? We're going to try feeding them a little heavier before bedtime (while feeding them lighter in the evening feeding) to keep them full for longer, does this sound like a good idea?

I can only suggest that you play with them intensely for an hour before bedtime. It should help them sleep longer throughout the night. Also, don't ever give in and feed them earlier, as you already know, it's a slippery slope.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Noctone posted:

She's on antibiotics and you're messing around with her food a lot. She's going to have diarrhea. Find something you're happy with nutritionally, slowly switch her over to it, and stick with it. Make sure she's getting plenty of water since she's got the runs.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Fishbulbz posted:

What kind of antibiotics did they give? Is she still on them?

Not sure, I believe it was some sort of general antibiotic since neither of her stool samples showed anything specific. We're still giving it to her, but she'll be done with it today or tomorrow.

The good news is that her stool looked better today over lunch (still kind of loose, but not diarrhea-like), so she might be adapting to the new food already.

Her new food has the following guaranteed analysis, which seems about in line with what you're recommending:
code:
Crude Protein              21.0% minimum 
Crude Fat                  10.0% minimum 
Crude Fiber                3.0% maximum 
Moisture                   10.0% maximum 
Calcium                    1.0% minimum 
Phosphorus                 0.9% minimum  
Omega-3 Fatty Acids        0.5% minimum 
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.01% minimum 
Omega-6 Fatty Acids        3.0% minimum 

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

jackpot posted:

Timed Feeder

Keep them out of the room for a few days and they'll realize you are no longer the hand that feeds them and annoy the food bowl instead. Then you can let them back in and at whatever time you set it for they'll be waiting around the magic feeding machine instead of trying eat your toes off.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Have a new question, and thought I'd put in an update: did indeed take the kitty to the vet on Friday, and he isn't sick. [relief] Since I have several small issues, maybe I should have started my own thread--ah, well, not this time. Spike is having some issues with territorial pissing, and I've gotten some excellent advice, and we're working on it. However, he is shut up in my room overnight as a result [that's when the local beasts are the most active, and when of course we cannot keep an eye on him]. I'm thinking that adding a cat tree to my room would be a good way to keep him entertained at night [he's a pretty good-natured puss]--what is that site that everyone here recommends for cat trees? Hunted a bit and can't find the link. Thanks!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Are hypo-allergenic, fragrance free baby wipes safe to use to clean my new cat's butt? He either isn't cleaning himself enough (it looks clean back there and I see him groom himself there) or something else is going on.

I saw pet wipes at petco but if baby wipes are safe they're much cheaper.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I used baby wipes on my puppy for a while. She's a short, long breed and couldn't quite reach back there at first to get herself completely clean. She had no issues with it. I didn't use them often though. I found it just as easy to wet a facecloth and get her that way.

Now she can reach so it isn't an issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

mr. nazi posted:

Are hypo-allergenic, fragrance free baby wipes safe to use to clean my new cat's butt? He either isn't cleaning himself enough (it looks clean back there and I see him groom himself there) or something else is going on.

I saw pet wipes at petco but if baby wipes are safe they're much cheaper.

Is your cat long haired? Something I did with mine was trim around his butt and down his legs so there was less hair for it to get caught in. If it was bad he got a bath from the waste down.