Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

sh1fty posted:

That just blew my mind. That sucks though since I use a mac. Anything close to dbule for mac? I'd prefer not to have it run in parallels.

Sugarbytes' Effectrix. It's not free, but it's very, very good...very easy to use too.

http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

I Dig Gardening posted:

Definitely in the same key. The key is Eb minor and the main melody goes Eb, Gb, Ab. Its a little "bitey" on purpose, just wanted to cause a little bit of grit :)

To Quincy - The vocals are straight from the stems I was given. Meaning the acapella is set to 0db with no effects whatsoever around it. I didn't want to EQ it or give it any crazy reverb cus I thought it sounded so good in the original that I could just work with that. The vocals mostly run through the 500-1,000 frequency range, so the lead and all four pads have a huge dip in that area. I can see how you'd think the vocals are a bit hidden but I'm gonna have to disagree, after listening to this mix on so many different soundsystems it sounds generally good on all of them, and isn't that the point of a master?

Also I know it's loving weird and it has some weird mixing to it, but I just wanted to do something different and maybe something not so "clean" :)

hahahahah

okay man

okay

quote:

I'm working on this edit (the transitions are pretty drat rough, I'm really mangling Ratatat's work). Should I make the hats lower in the mix? Cut out some treble?

They sit right where they are supposed to frequency wise, but have you considered panning either the open or the closed right? As it is you dont have much sense of stereo in the mix, so if you were to spread your percussion and hats around abit, the sound would seem wider. The right side seems abit empty too. You could always try different patterns, or mix in some shakers here and there. Personally I pan first, then group all the hats and do a HPF cut until I think it sounds right.

Not a bad track by the way.

quote:

That just blew my mind. That sucks though since I use a mac. Anything close to dbule for mac? I'd prefer not to have it run in parallels.

You can still use scissors you know, go all manual and poo poo. Cut it up in to 64th and just go nuts with placement.

I have no clue about mac plugins though, but luckily moron above me does!

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 30, 2008

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

moron posted:

Sugarbytes' Effectrix. It's not free, but it's very, very good...very easy to use too.

http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

Thanks moron! I'm going to try out the demo and see if it's worth that crazy high price.

In the meantime, I'd like you guys to tear my first song a new rear end in a top hat! Two things you don't have to tear me up on because I already know they're terrible:

lovely loops
Because I wanted to bang this thing together I ended up using garage band to do all my sequencing, and that turned out to be an awful idea since in a few spots it's extremely noticible when an instrument loops.

Song length
It's about 2 minutes too long, I know. But I got carried away!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Yeah, I'd say for someone who wants to stutter edit, do it old school (cut tool) a few times so that you will understand want certain chopping intervals sound like so that when you use a prog to do it you will better understand what each setting does. Plus, manually cutting gives you way more flexibility.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Ben and Stew posted:

Yeah, I'd say for someone who wants to stutter edit, do it old school (cut tool) a few times so that you will understand want certain chopping intervals sound like so that when you use a prog to do it you will better understand what each setting does. Plus, manually cutting gives you way more flexibility.

Exactly, plus, you can spread the audiopieces to like 5 tracks and have different effects, soundspaces and poo poo like that, on them. (guess that goes under flexibility though)

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Second lovely song I've ever made! Enjoy.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

sh1fty posted:

Second lovely song I've ever made! Enjoy.

love your sounds used here, except for that gated pad. its abit.. 1992.

Could do with a bassline as well.

Most original beat I've heard in a long time as well, nice work

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

love your sounds used here, except for that gated pad. its abit.. 1992.

Could do with a bassline as well.

Most original beat I've heard in a long time as well, nice work

Hey thanks man!

There is a bassline, but maybe its buried too deep? And what does gated pad mean exactly? I know what you mean though, the pad is definetely cheese, I got carried away.

Maybe you could drop some hints about mixing, in general what should be the loudest, quietest, etc?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

sh1fty posted:

Hey thanks man!

There is a bassline, but maybe its buried too deep? And what does gated pad mean exactly? I know what you mean though, the pad is definetely cheese, I got carried away.

Maybe you could drop some hints about mixing, in general what should be the loudest, quietest, etc?

this is a drumloop, 2 bars dry and 2 bars gated.

Its generally a bad thing if your bassline is not noticeable. It should be!

Kickdrums and basslines are also generally the loudest elements in a mix.
Think of them as the framework on wich you build your song.

I suggest you pull out your favourite songs and listen to those for reference.
Find a shpongle track called Periscopes of Consciousness, it has a beat simmilar to yours, so maybe you can get some ideas there, mix wise. In fact, get the whole album; "Nothing lasts ...But nothing is lost"

Dont get discouraged listening to it though, Simon Posford is no mortal man.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

this is a drumloop, 2 bars dry and 2 bars gated.

Its generally a bad thing if your bassline is not noticeable. It should be!

Kickdrums and basslines are also generally the loudest elements in a mix.
Think of them as the framework on wich you build your song.

I suggest you pull out your favourite songs and listen to those for reference.
Find a shpongle track called Periscopes of Consciousness, it has a beat simmilar to yours, so maybe you can get some ideas there, mix wise. In fact, get the whole album; "Nothing lasts ...But nothing is lost"

Dont get discouraged listening to it though, Simon Posford is no mortal man.

I'm still having a hard time grasping the whole gated thing. All I notice in that clip is less hi hats, is that all? Maybe I'll just google the term and see whats up.

Man I love Shpongle! In college I was into that whole physidellic drug thing, and realllllly fell in love with this band. Awesome. I feel like Wayne in Wayne's World (when he's looking at that guitar) listening to their songs.

She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

sh1fty posted:

I'm still having a hard time grasping the whole gated thing. All I notice in that clip is less hi hats, is that all? Maybe I'll just google the term and see whats up.

Man I love Shpongle! In college I was into that whole physidellic drug thing, and realllllly fell in love with this band. Awesome. I feel like Wayne in Wayne's World (when he's looking at that guitar) listening to their songs.

She will be mine, oh yes. She will be mine.

Well to start on gating:

wikipedia posted:

A Noise Gate or gate is an electronic device or software logic that is used to control the volume of an audio signal. In its most simple form, a noise gate allows a signal to pass through only when it is above a set threshold: the gate is 'open'. If the signal falls below the threshold no signal is allowed to pass (or the signal is substantially attenuated): the gate is 'closed'. [1]A noise gate is used when the level of the 'signal' is above the level of the 'noise'. The threshold is set above the level of the 'noise' and so when there is no 'signal' the gate is closed. A noise gate does not remove noise from the signal. When the gate is open both the signal and the noise will pass through.

However thats more of a level-based gate and here's we're just talking about a rhythmic one. The base function of a rhythm gate is the same as above though. The gate will either be open (everything plays as normal) or closed (nothing plays). So by setting the gate to be open on the first 16th note then closed for the 2nd 16th note and back and forth you get the effect you heard above. The best example I can think of this is an old 2 many DJ's set but thats way too big to download just for this if you can even find it.

Anyways, listen to the sample again and just listen specifically how in the second part every other note seems to be silent or more choppy.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

mezzir posted:

Well to start on gating:

However thats more of a level-based gate and here's we're just talking about a rhythmic one. The base function of a rhythm gate is the same as above though. The gate will either be open (everything plays as normal) or closed (nothing plays). So by setting the gate to be open on the first 16th note then closed for the 2nd 16th note and back and forth you get the effect you heard above. The best example I can think of this is an old 2 many DJ's set but thats way too big to download just for this if you can even find it.

Anyways, listen to the sample again and just listen specifically how in the second part every other note seems to be silent or more choppy.

Ohhh okay, now I get it. I definitely notice it now. I know exactly which pad he's talking about that I've used now too. No more cheese-gate I promise!

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.
New remix I just finished for Radiohead's new remix contest.. let me know what you guys think. If the feedback is mostly positive (which is what I've been getting thank goodness!) I'll submit it tonight.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19833954f9b80597/

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

sh1fty posted:

Ohhh okay, now I get it. I definitely notice it now. I know exactly which pad he's talking about that I've used now too. No more cheese-gate I promise!

I suggest you learn to mix like the pros (techniques and ideas, etc.). Once you know how to mix properly, you will be able to add whatever you want and make it sound good. Even a cheese-gate! :)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I Dig Gardening posted:

New remix I just finished for Radiohead's new remix contest.. let me know what you guys think. If the feedback is mostly positive (which is what I've been getting thank goodness!) I'll submit it tonight.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19833954f9b80597/

sounds really good i think, if maybe slightly generic and cliche remix sounding. but not really in a bad way but just throwing that out there. i think the main arpeggiating synth needs to be turned down(maybe EQ'd) a smidge...also maybe resample it and stutter it in a few places to spice it up. really my only complaint is that its kind of really generic dance remix sounding, but its still pro sounding, so props on the song.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
So I want to learn how New Order were able to get their sound. What kind of synths did they use? Is there a web-site or a reference book that has what kind of synths and instruments were used by who? I've been trying to put a song together but I haven't the slightest idea what kind of synths are used. I am using Ableton Live 7 and Fruity Loops is there one that I should learn first? Mainly, I can't break past the cliche and boring drum loops and lovely sounding synths. Should I post up what I have so ya'll can give me some tips on what kind of a direction I should be heading towards?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Adrenochrome posted:

So I want to learn how New Order were able to get their sound. What kind of synths did they use? Is there a web-site or a reference book that has what kind of synths and instruments were used by who? I've been trying to put a song together but I haven't the slightest idea what kind of synths are used. I am using Ableton Live 7 and Fruity Loops is there one that I should learn first? Mainly, I can't break past the cliche and boring drum loops and lovely sounding synths. Should I post up what I have so ya'll can give me some tips on what kind of a direction I should be heading towards?

quote:

| Equipment listed in an interview with New Order in the March
| 1985 issue of Electronics & Music Maker:
|
| Seq Circuits Pro One
| Powertran Transcendent 2000 w/ Powertran 1024 Seq
| ARP Omni
| ARP 2600 w/ ARP Seq
| Simmons SDS2
| ARP Quadra
| Moog Source
| Boss Dr Rhythm
| Prophet 5 w/ Seq Circuits PolySequencer
| Oberheim DMX
| Emu Emulator
| Octave Plateau Voyetra

That all being said, I think the most distinctive sounds (that I can remember, it's been a while!), are the Prophet 5 and the DMX drum machine. You could check out Arturia's Prophet V vst for a somewhat realistic rendition of one, and you can easily get samples to cover the DMX sound. The ARP Omni was an analog string synth, and there are several VSTs out there that cover that sort of sound. That's key to the "sort of strings, but not quite" pad sounds in the background. There are several famous choices for the ARP 2600 in VST form. The Quadra is kind of a mash between the Omni, something somewhat similar to the Prophet 5 and an analog monosynth. All stuff you can kind of emulate with a VST.

I know purists would choke to death at the thought of trying to reproduce New Orders sound with some software but unless you have about $30,000 handy it's the best you're going to do. If you're dying for a new piece of hardware that will get the closest, I would suggest a DSI Prohpet '08, which is basically an updated Prophet 5 with more voices and some new features.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Hey, I saw this remix contest over at palmsout.blogspot.com, so I figured I'd take a shot, if only to improve my skills.

Here's the result:

It's 4:00 in the morning now so I didn't have time to mix it really well, and some of the warping is terrible. That's partially the fault of the original song, as it's not exactly in time, but I could use some improvement. This is the first time I've remixed a song or used vocals.

Other than that, what do you think?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need the Benassi Bros Bass sound. So far, I understand it's a Nord Lead Library in EXS24 titled Nord Lead W1200, with the "Saw Lead" preset.

Does anyone have a Nord that can check this for me? I know it's compressed as hell also, but I'm missing the timbre of the original form.

Alternately, does anyone have an idea of what would be used to achieve a similar effect?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Any suggestions on where to go with these two tracks?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/20048218bfed081d/
This is an oringal, more loungey than I was going for.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/20048910a82eae9c/
This is a remix of Billy Says Go, I dont know where to take it.

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

I made an Electro Remix of Ultraviolet Sound's "Babyz", I like it but it feels like the composition is lacking a bit. I dunno...

Can someone give it a listen and tell me what you think?
http://www.zshare.net/audio/201142917cd0186a/

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

I need the Benassi Bros Bass sound. So far, I understand it's a Nord Lead Library in EXS24 titled Nord Lead W1200, with the "Saw Lead" preset.

Does anyone have a Nord that can check this for me? I know it's compressed as hell also, but I'm missing the timbre of the original form.

Alternately, does anyone have an idea of what would be used to achieve a similar effect?

Vengeance put out some Thor presets for Reason that have pretty much the exact Benny Benassi sound.

Here's a quick sample I put together in 5 minutes, the kick and drum loops are just simple things I had and I grabbed the midi online, the first one esp. is really drat close to the real thing. If you have thor I'd be happy to share/post a screenshot or something of the patch.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

mezzir posted:

Vengeance put out some Thor presets for Reason that have pretty much the exact Benny Benassi sound.

Here's a quick sample I put together in 5 minutes, the kick and drum loops are just simple things I had and I grabbed the midi online, the first one esp. is really drat close to the real thing. If you have thor I'd be happy to share/post a screenshot or something of the patch.

Can you render out a C2 and hold it for like 30 seconds with any filters and effects off? Post a screenie for that too, so I can see how it's set. That's pretty much the sound I'm aiming for.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

super_polack
Nov 23, 2005
Property of: Rzeczpospolita Polaska
I just bought an Axiom-49 and Ableton 7.... SOOOOOOOOOO?!

Oh boy am I lost. I've been wanting to get into electronic music for so long and I decided to utilize the last of my summer job money to get this equipment. I'm starting from a music background, but I've never played keys and only have a little experience with MIDI - mostly just fooling around for hours on end with computer keyboard inputs.

I still have problems finding/creating a sound I have in my head, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. My main questions right now are how to create my own instruments in Ableton, and the same goes for how to create drums (aside from putting together different sampled bits, that I know.) I've done all the tutorials probably twice by now, so aside from creating my own synths, I know my way around the program pretty ok. I still haven't used a VST, on the other hand.

Anyway, that concludes my rambling first post in this thread. Hi, I'm Super Polack :) I'll try to pick up what I can, until I actually work up the courage to make my first poo poo-track :emo:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Well uhhh what are you trying to do specifically? I mean theres a tonne of ways to make a kickdrum alone - from drum machines, from a synth with a sine wave oscillator -> pitch LFO -> amp envelope, from an an acoustic bass drum recorded via a mic, out of existing samples/recordings/synths and superimposing them etc.

I mean what do you want? What instruments do you want to create? No matter how prolific you are its going to take time to get a feel for what works in a particular context and it takes ages to get to the level where you can think of a sound and recreate it using a synth. You really need to be adept at synthesis to even begin to do something like that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

super_polack posted:

I still have problems finding/creating a sound I have in my head, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Sorry for spamming my own topic, but this ongoing series may help and you can request stuff.

quote:

My main questions right now are how to create my own instruments in Ableton
If you don't have Sampler, you actually don't. Simpler's not that complicated.

quote:

and the same goes for how to create drums (aside from putting together different sampled bits, that I know.)
Try Slice to new MIDI track :). There's not much more to drums than just using the samples (and you could go further by using different samples at different velocities).

quote:

I've done all the tutorials probably twice by now, so aside from creating my own synths, I know my way around the program pretty ok. I still haven't used a VST, on the other hand.

The instruments in Ableton are mostly Synth Racks using one or more Simplers. You basically combine stuff into a bigger whole, but that's not really called creating your own synths (since that goes deeper, generally).

Go get some trial versions of stuff like Rob Papen's machines or the Native Instruments collection - you'll most likely be blown away by the extra possibilities.

quote:

until I actually work up the courage to make my first poo poo-track :emo:
Just post it, we'll tell you if and how hard it sucks ;).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

super_polack posted:

I just bought an Axiom-49 and Ableton 7.... SOOOOOOOOOO?!

Oh boy am I lost. I've been wanting to get into electronic music for so long and I decided to utilize the last of my summer job money to get this equipment. I'm starting from a music background, but I've never played keys and only have a little experience with MIDI - mostly just fooling around for hours on end with computer keyboard inputs.

I still have problems finding/creating a sound I have in my head, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. My main questions right now are how to create my own instruments in Ableton, and the same goes for how to create drums (aside from putting together different sampled bits, that I know.) I've done all the tutorials probably twice by now, so aside from creating my own synths, I know my way around the program pretty ok. I still haven't used a VST, on the other hand.

Anyway, that concludes my rambling first post in this thread. Hi, I'm Super Polack :) I'll try to pick up what I can, until I actually work up the courage to make my first poo poo-track :emo:

There's an Operator tutorial on how to make percussion sounds.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Second edition of the Dance Music Manual by Snoman is out.

Maybe an update in the OP could be handy. :)

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Check it out guys, 3rd song!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

sh1fty posted:

Check it out guys, 3rd song!

I really like it, but the drums are a bit quiet- In fact, it's all a bit quiet. Also, that piano-ish bit sounds all messy and muddy :I

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Hmm you're right. I took the piano out after a few people told me it was distracting. I replaced it with more synthiness. I also turned the drums up, I'll upload in a few minutes.

Here's the remixed version

sh1fty fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 8, 2008

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

I think the levels are a lot better now, but the bass tone seems to be completely buried in the mix on my headphones. Make try making that a little more pronounced?

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Here's something i've been kicking around recently to try out a new set of monitors I got, just some goofy new wave hooks. The main synth line is meant to be vocals, but suggestions on tones in general would be great; I think the chords at the beginning in particular would be better off as orchestral stabs or something like that.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

chemicalhero posted:

Here's something i've been kicking around recently to try out a new set of monitors I got, just some goofy new wave hooks. The main synth line is meant to be vocals, but suggestions on tones in general would be great; I think the chords at the beginning in particular would be better off as orchestral stabs or something like that.

I can't believe how much I liked that. Definetely goofy new wave hooks like you say, but I love it. Just by listening to this I already know what my songs are missing, and what you have done well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

chemicalhero posted:

Sounds straight outta the 80's.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Kai was taken posted:

Sounds straight outta the 80's.

pretty much, it reminds me of soft cell

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Ha, '80s is definitely what I'm going for, I've been listening to a lot of Split Enz lately. I'm pretty new to Logic so I'm having issues finagling the mix and sculpting some of the synths but good to know I'm at least getting the point across.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I need more material to read. I've been shopping around on Amazon for a bit, and I've added far too many books to my cart than I have time to read.

Are there any books you guys suggest I get besides the Dance Music Manual? Right now, I've got that one, a book on Ableton 7, one on mixing, one on sampling, and one on remixing. I'm debating over whether to get one on synthesis, or just read Synth Secrets again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How about you just sit down and make something? It sounds like you've already got all the reading you need taken care of.

• Locked thread