Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I can recommend the Chabot Space Center out past Oakland, it's got a kick-rear end IMAX planetarium room and a bunch of telescopes. When I went there they had a setup where you could look at flares coming off the sun. In the evening I think they do free star viewings through the telescopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

stun runner posted:

I'm so stoked on the planetarium.

Oh, as am I -- I'm mainly just bitter that it wasn't open yet after having paid for a membership.. I wanted to get in before all the plebes.

edit: crap why are the fishes on top of people?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

I've got a flight booked for September 14th - 18th to visit some friends and look for apartments because I'm moving there in November for school and I have an amazing job lined up. Is craigslist pretty much the best venue for finding a place to live in SF? In the past looking for apartments I've gone through rental agencies that have just lined up a bunch of tours. Its easy and very little effort on this end. Anyone got any recommendations?

If craigslist is the path to take, should I go ahead and start responding to some ads or wait until the beginning of the month?

Thanks!

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

leisure no capi posted:

I've got a flight booked for September 14th - 18th to visit some friends and look for apartments because I'm moving there in November for school and I have an amazing job lined up. Is craigslist pretty much the best venue for finding a place to live in SF? In the past looking for apartments I've gone through rental agencies that have just lined up a bunch of tours. Its easy and very little effort on this end. Anyone got any recommendations?

If craigslist is the path to take, should I go ahead and start responding to some ads or wait until the beginning of the month?

Thanks!

It took me 7 months to find a place from craigslist. I had a really cushy situation and was pretty picky, though. If you look on craigslist now, that's about what you should expect to see constantly.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

leisure no capi posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, start responding now. Are you looking for your own place or trying to sublet? I ask because...

Duder X posted:

It took me 7 months to find a place from craigslist. I had a really cushy situation and was pretty picky, though. If you look on craigslist now, that's about what you should expect to see constantly.

The two times I've had to look it took no more than a month each time. Wasn't being picky, either.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

leisure no capi posted:

Thanks!

Craigslist is definitely the way to go. I had a tour with a rental agency when I moved this summer, and they were mostly using craigslist. Since I was clearly willing to spend more time monitoring craigslist than they were, I wound up finding a place myself.
Most places I saw expected you to start renting within a few weeks though, so that might be a problem if you only want to move in in November. You should definitely start monitoring craigslist now, if nothing else to help you get a sense of the market

Kimball_Ninja
Dec 24, 2004

leisure no capi posted:

Thanks!

Definitely CL, and the market is pretty competitive. Housing is expensive, but there are a lot of good deals, nice people, and large apartments. I found a place a couple weeks after moving here (but I dropped it a couple weeks ago, long story). I should have another place set by this weekend, after probably 2 - 3 weeks of serious looking. You'll go to open houses where there are a ton of other people, and there are shady characters out there. But there are plenty of good options.

One option is when you get here, put up a wanted about yourself, your job, and a semi-respectable picture. You'd be surprised, my girlfriend did this and found a place, and I got a lot of great responses. Some people don't want to deal with an open house and 50+ people, and look for the kind of roommate they want. It would be a good thing to do once you're in the city.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Craigslist isn't the only way. Also walk around neighborhoods that you like and look for "for rent" signs. The typical CL "open house" has at least 25 people at it and some places don't bother listing there because of dealing with all the idiots. You can get a good place from CL but it's not the only way.

You also might think about getting a short-term sublet so you can find a place you really like.

Kimball_Ninja
Dec 24, 2004

qirex posted:

You also might think about getting a short-term sublet so you can find a place you really like.

This is a great idea. I stayed at a hotel / hostel in the Mission for a week before she found a place, and it beat sleeping on a futon. It's pretty cheap, but the Mission can get sketchy. Anyway, there's no reason to jump at the first place you get, subletting and deciding what neighborhoods you like is a great option.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Thanks everyone for all your responses.

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

Most places I saw expected you to start renting within a few weeks though, so that might be a problem if you only want to move in in November.
I a pretty big chunk of change saved up from my previous job, so having to pay out the rest of October wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Kimball_Ninja posted:

One option is when you get here, put up a wanted about yourself, your job, and a semi-respectable picture. You'd be surprised, my girlfriend did this and found a place, and I got a lot of great responses. Some people don't want to deal with an open house and 50+ people, and look for the kind of roommate they want. It would be a good thing to do once you're in the city.
This sound good, I'll try that too.

qirex posted:

Craigslist isn't the only way. Also walk around neighborhoods that you like and look for "for rent" signs. The typical CL "open house" has at least 25 people at it and some places don't bother listing there because of dealing with all the idiots. You can get a good place from CL but it's not the only way.

I definitely thought about doing this as well, I just wish I had more then four days.

I also thought about the whole sublet path, but I don't think after driving 2,000 miles in a u-haul I'm going to want to remove all my stuff to a new apartment in 3 months.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
Sort of a vague moving in typing question for everyone:

My girlfriend recently got a job in west San Jose and will be moving up in a couple weeks. I'm charged with scouting out the apartments she's finding on CL. Anyone have recommendations of places/neighborhoods to avoid or that I should check out? She'll have a car so it does give her some flexibility location wise, but if/when I move in with her I'll need something near downtown or on a bus/light rail line that will take me to San Jose's Civic Center without too much hassle.

danifestmestny fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 25, 2008

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

danifestmestny posted:

Sort of a vague moving in typing question for everyone:

My girlfriend recently got a job in west San Jose and will be moving up in a couple weeks. I'm charged with scouting out the apartments she's finding on CL. Anyone have recommendations of places/neighborhoods to avoid or that I should check out? She'll have a car so it does give her some flexibility location wise, but if/when I move in with her I'll need something near downtown or on a bus/light rail line that will take me to Civic Center without too much hassle.

You don't want to be all that close to civic center, most of the immediate area is pretty sketchy. I live on nob hill, which is about as close as I'd want to get. It mostly depends on your price range. If you don't mind the bus you can get to civic center pretty easily from most places

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

You don't want to be all that close to civic center, most of the immediate area is pretty sketchy. I live on nob hill, which is about as close as I'd want to get. It mostly depends on your price range. If you don't mind the bus you can get to civic center pretty easily from most places

Um, I meant the Civic Center stop of the VTA - Santa Clara County's light rail, not the SF Muni one, sorry about the confusion.

mundermensch
Aug 24, 2003
Ibex
Thought I should give you goons a heads-up. I'm currently renting out a furnished studio in San Francisco in the Upper Haight for $120 a night/$750 a week. It's got the internets and a bed and what else does a goon need?

Here is our calendar of availability:
http://www.my.calendars.net/1910page/d01/08/2008?display=M&style=B&positioning=A

email me at kathymunderloh@gmail.com if it tickles yer fancy.

craigslist ad w/ pictures: http://sfbay.en.craigslist.org/sfc/vac/855640618.html

mundermensch fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2008

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

danifestmestny posted:

Um, I meant the Civic Center stop of the VTA - Santa Clara County's light rail, not the SF Muni one, sorry about the confusion.

That makes more sense then. SF to SJ is a bit of a commute

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
I'm so pumped about the Academy of Science to open up too.
I'm just going to buy a membership...it pays for itself in 2 visits if you go with a friend (a free guest!)
I have a feeling I'll be making visits with my iPod and watching fish for hours.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

k0konutz posted:

I'm just going to buy a membership...it pays for itself in 2 visits if you go with a friend (a free guest!)
Includes a free guest? Hot dang!

I'm going to wait a small while for the OMGWTF crouds to taper off a little bit, but it's not like I have free time to go right now. It is $99/year, but I'm sure I can get people to come along with me. Epically when I have family and friends visiting out of town.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Atrus posted:

I'm going to wait a small while for the OMGWTF crouds to taper off a little bit, but it's not like I have free time to go right now. It is $99/year, but I'm sure I can get people to come along with me. Epically when I have family and friends visiting out of town.

I walked out of my door at 9am this morning, and the line was already literally miles long. There were thousands of people there. It was insane.

I'm going to do the same, get a membership and just go week nights after work (I live at 7th and Fulton), and when the initial rush has died down a bit.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I went with my roommates for the first time to the Folsom Street Fair. One roommate was a gay man and the other a straight woman, so as a straight male I was the only one not entranced by the teeming mass of man flesh that surrounded us. I had a good time, though, because I love people-watching and it was a day out of the house with my friends.

But why can't we have a Lipstick Lesbian festival or something, christ.

If anyone out there is curious and wants pictures, I can bug my roommate to get the ones off of her camera.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So, what do people do for Halloween round here?

The last time I was living here and it was Halloween I was 17....

Where are the parties? What's good? What's bad?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Has anyone been to the Warfield since it reopened? Is it dramatically different or did they just pretty it up a bit?

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
I need to go and get my hair cornrowed sometime soon. I live in SF proper, more or less around Pac Heights/Civic Center.

Anyone know of a good beauty salon for it?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Papercut posted:

Has anyone been to the Warfield since it reopened? Is it dramatically different or did they just pretty it up a bit?

I've been to the Warfield twice since it reopened (whooo hooo Nick Cave and Rancid!) and as pumped as I was for the revamping I really couldn't notice a difference except the seats in the balcony has new upholstery. Also, the sides of the ceiling in the balcony still look like poo poo - paint peeling, kinda stained, etc. I guess they ran out of money at that point, hah.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

BlueBayou posted:

So, what do people do for Halloween round here?

The last time I was living here and it was Halloween I was 17....

Where are the parties? What's good? What's bad?

I'll be hosting a Halloween party November 1st. Details will be posted in the SF Goon Meets thread

As for actual Halloween... the Castro was the thing to do (until they got tired of people getting stabbed and shot.) They're holding some kind of Castro-esque shindig by AT&T Park this year. But they are charging $30 cover

Alex_DeLarge
Sep 28, 2001

Newcastles at Noon

TrueClash posted:

I'll be hosting a Halloween party November 1st. Details will be posted in the SF Goon Meets thread

As for actual Halloween... the Castro was the thing to do (until they got tired of people getting stabbed and shot.) They're holding some kind of Castro-esque shindig by AT&T Park this year. But they are charging $30 cover

Actually its free now:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/18/BA8P1301NJ.DTL

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TrueClash posted:

Isnt it against the rules to have a halloween party after halloween?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

hermanos posted:

I need to go and get my hair cornrowed sometime soon. I live in SF proper, more or less around Pac Heights/Civic Center.

Anyone know of a good beauty salon for it?

I'm pretty sure no one needs this hair-do. That and I think I've seen one even set or rows ever. Everyone else has a do that's even on one side and is made of funny shapes on the other.

Anyway, I wish I'd spent my Sunday out in SF now. Sounds like I missed a lot of whacky fun and gay men romping gayly about.

PS: BART tells me the Redbull whatever-races are at Delores park in what, 2.5 weeks?

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

Free = Yay, but part of the draw to the Castro (besides all the fabulous costumes) was all of the restaurants and bars that were open along the street. And Newsom better not even try to say that alcohol was the reason people got shot. That just isn't so.

BlueBayou posted:

Isnt it against the rules to have a halloween party after halloween?

Not if it's on the same weekend.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

I'm pretty sure no one needs this hair-do. That and I think I've seen one even set or rows ever. Everyone else has a do that's even on one side and is made of funny shapes on the other.

thanks dude, that's just what i needed to hear

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

hermanos posted:

Not sure how much this helps, but I found a place near you:

African Hair Braiding
1928 Ellis St
San Francisco, CA

The link below offers more options with varying reviews. I see a couple similar spots along the 22 bus line heading towards the Fillmore District.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/yellowpages/results/San_Francisco_CA/braiding/page1.html?radius=2.4

Happy Hunting!

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Artsygrrl posted:

Not sure how much this helps, but I found a place near you:

African Hair Braiding
1928 Ellis St
San Francisco, CA

The link below offers more options with varying reviews. I see a couple similar spots along the 22 bus line heading towards the Fillmore District.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/yellowpages/results/San_Francisco_CA/braiding/page1.html?radius=2.4

Happy Hunting!

Thanks! I somehow hadn't seen citysearch before. Good looking out.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
My pleasure! Citysearch proved most useful to me the first few weeks I was in San Francisco, and I have used it ever since.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Artsygrrl posted:

My pleasure! Citysearch proved most useful to me the first few weeks I was in San Francisco, and I have used it ever since.

Also, yelp.com, of course.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

hermanos posted:

No problem. It's what I'm hear to do.

Anyway, good luck with your upcoming 'do. I'd bless your rows, but that phrase makes me think of The Children of the Corn for some silly reason :cry:

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Artsygrrl posted:

I ended up finding a spot called Jazz'z down on Fillmore, so that was solid. Thanks again.

Benjammin
Mar 6, 2004
The Dude Abides
Sorta an odd question here. I live in SF proper and was trying to think of new ideas to work out, and then the idea to run up one of the downtown building's stairs might be kinda cool.

Now, with all the terrorism/murder/rear end-raping that takes place in the world today, is A; this even possible without security tackling me down 20 flights of stairs and B; are any downtown buildings even open to the public?

Thanks

oh, and anyone else going to the Blues festival this weekend in the park?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really doubt any building's security would let you do that. You could always hit the Filbert Street steps or Vallejo on the east side of Russian Hill.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There are also the Lyon St steps right by the Presidio, I see people running those all the time. It's gotta be at least a couple hundred steps and they're steep.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Filbert and Greenwich Sts on the east face of telegraph hill are nothing but stairs and pathways; if you want to run stairs, that'd be a neat place to do it, but it's better as just a cool place to chill and watch the sunrise. They're official city streets, some complete with signs marking them as so, but it's all walkways and stuff with people's houses and gardens. It's my favorite place in the city.

So everyone else STAY THE HELL AWAY :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I walked by some nice looking steps at chestnut and culebra terrace today. Really, one thing you're never going to be lacking for in san francisco is steep things to run up

• Locked thread