Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthur
Nov 28, 2005

It's like those miserable psalms, they're so depressing...

moron posted:

Ohhhhh....how is it? The demos sound very impressive, but I was concerned it'd be just too complex to use.....it sounds like a bit of a headfuck.

It's a little intimidating because of the sheer size of it. The sound libarary is the biggest of anything else I own without a doubt.

As for the complexity of the rest of it.. I was a little confused at first but since playing with it over the weekend so far I've started to get to grips with it. They have a pretty neat system of a main 'overview', then you can sort of zoom into individual settings to edit them in more detail if you want to, like modulation routings. You can graphically edit the envelopes too, which is nice. The arpeggiator is an absolute beast as well, I've been using it more like a step sequencer for my messing around so far.

Despite all that though, all the things I've done sound utterly poo poo compared to the factory sounds so far :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Eddy
Jul 22, 2007
Hello Musician's Lounge.

I'm about to buy my first electric and I've been looking at this http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Pro-w-Seymour-Duncan-Pickups_W0QQitemZ280272237195QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280272237195&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
I want to ask if theres any Jackson players out there and if so what is the general quality of the guitars? Sorry if this is the wrong forum and thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Mad Eddy posted:

Hello Musician's Lounge.

I'm about to buy my first electric and I've been looking at this http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Pro-w-Seymour-Duncan-Pickups_W0QQitemZ280272237195QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280272237195&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
I want to ask if theres any Jackson players out there and if so what is the general quality of the guitars? Sorry if this is the wrong forum and thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Korean made Jacksons are (generally, and speaking only from my experience, of course) high quality guitars for the price. Japanese Jacksons are phenomenal, same quality as American Jacksons or better. I'm pretty sure that's a Korean one. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it, for what it's worth.

About the Charvel Mode 4, holy holy poo poo poo poo this is a NICE guitar. It's taking over my amps without a fight. The best thing about it, in my opinion, is the active tone pot coupled with the active SSH pickups (well, really the best thing about it is that it plays like a $3000 guitar and it only cost me $300). Mid scoop or mid boost. HUGE variety of sounds as a result. Wowee, I recommend everyone get one of these, they are massively underpriced. It has a passive tone pot, too, which does a more global high/low sound. I can't believe I got this nice of a guitar for such a small amount of money. This is making me change my mind about buying a Schecter custom shop model - I'm almost certain I'll go with a Charvel custom shop guitar instead. I can't put this guitar down!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 5, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I think the current Charvels are pretty different from the 80s models. Charvel and Jackson are now both Fender brands, so be prepared for Fender Custom Shop prices.

e: This was the one I was looking at, presumably made around the time Kahler went under (so late 80s, early 90s) as it has the Schaller Floyd.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 5, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

I think the current Charvels are pretty different from the 80s models. Charvel and Jackson are now both Fender brands, so be prepared for Fender Custom Shop prices.

e: This was the one I was looking at, presumably made around the time Kahler went under (so late 80s, early 90s) as it has the Schaller Floyd.

Yeah, I know that these days they're under the Fender umbrella. Still, their USA production guitars list at $999, which is a drat good deal. But it does look like their custom shop models are creeping up in price. Schecter may get more of my money yet.

That's pretty drat close to mine as far as what it has goes. The Kahler trem is not through the body, it's pretty self contained (torsion bar style trem, no need for a trem claw so no need for standard hole routing). Mine has individual pickup switches, too. Of course the color of mine, a metallic burgundy (shiny only in bright light, awesome looking body) is different, and mine has abalone dots instead of sharkfin inlays. But other than those "accessory" differences, what I can tell you is that if mine is any indication, you've got an opportunity to get an awesome, awesome guitar at what I imagine is a very good price.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Setting up a smaller rig, the rack is a bit much to take everywhere and I'm getting pretty tired of the tones I was getting from it, so I've been working on getting a combo/pedalboard setup, got the first two things this weekend:

Fender Deluxe Reverb, this thing is what a clean guitar is supposed to sound like and then some. Hell crank this thing up this is what an overdriven guitar is supposed to sound like.

These have nothing to do with my new rig, but I got these a while back, just thought I'd share, Dimarzio The Breed Neck, and Steve's Special Bridge, wired with a 5 way megaswitch, This is probably the most versatile guitar setup I've ever owned. The Breed is FAT and full, the steve's special cuts very nicely, but usably (is that a word?) and the middle positions make really good single coil type sounds (still going to get an Am Dlx V-Neck Strat with Fralin Blues Sp eventually).

Small Clone, I don't really chorus very much, but I figured I should have it because I do from time to time. I really wanted the Fulltone ChoralFlange but I don't use choruses enough at this point and time to justify spending the $$$ on one. The build quality on this one isn't bad, seems pretty solid so far, and sounds killer with the Deluxe.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hell crank this thing up this is what an overdriven guitar is supposed to sound like.

Fun thing to try: remove the preamp tube for channel 1 (the rightmost tube as you look at the back of the amp, as i recall) and only ever use channel 2. Saves some power which turns into gain.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Mad Eddy posted:

Hello Musician's Lounge.

If it's anything like my DXMG (similar, superstrat with dual EMGs but otherwise the same Korean construction) it'll be pretty drat good. Mine is rock solid and plays beautifully; it's my third electric, so for a first guitar you'll be laughing, especially for that price. Get it set up professionally and away you go.

I'm not a huge fan of the Jackson tremolo though, I have one on my KE3 Kelly and it's not great - it doesn't hold tuning very well if you whammy too much. YMMV

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 6, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Last piece of gear from my recent haul, AKG K701s:

Special mention goes to the hilarious box design:

Everything sounds so clear now!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Yeah, I know that these days they're under the Fender umbrella. Still, their USA production guitars list at $999, which is a drat good deal. But it does look like their custom shop models are creeping up in price. Schecter may get more of my money yet.

That's pretty drat close to mine as far as what it has goes. The Kahler trem is not through the body, it's pretty self contained (torsion bar style trem, no need for a trem claw so no need for standard hole routing). Mine has individual pickup switches, too. Of course the color of mine, a metallic burgundy (shiny only in bright light, awesome looking body) is different, and mine has abalone dots instead of sharkfin inlays. But other than those "accessory" differences, what I can tell you is that if mine is any indication, you've got an opportunity to get an awesome, awesome guitar at what I imagine is a very good price.

It's funny, the Irish asking place is twice what you paid. That was someting I was looking at, unless the guy wants to trade I won't be picking it up anytime soon. I have a Korean Washburn super-strat that I'm putting a Blackout in, so I have something kind of similar... but gently caress, GAS etc.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

It's funny, the Irish asking place is twice what you paid. That was someting I was looking at, unless the guy wants to trade I won't be picking it up anytime soon. I have a Korean Washburn super-strat that I'm putting a Blackout in, so I have something kind of similar... but gently caress, GAS etc.

Isn't it more or less normal for musical equipment (in general) to be outrageously expensive outside the U.S., excepting goods made in Europe?

Here's a funny thing, if this guitar had cost twice what I paid I would still feel like I got a good deal, strictly in terms of construction quality, playability, tone and versatility. Looking at the HC user reviews, it seems like Europeans are paying about twice what it costs in the U.S. (and it also looks like some lucky bastards are getting them for $150-$200, wish I knew where they were buying these things at, I'd love to have a room full of 'em).

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yeah it is normal, I've learned to keep quite about where I'm from when I'm in US guitar stores. If I shut up til after I've paid I can get the tax cut off or the total rounded down to the nearest round number, if I mention I'm Irish I have to pay sticker price on everything.
I'm always amazed when I hear what americans are paying, especially on used stuff (btw HC reviews seem to be full of people getting amazing stuff from pawn shops for $100-150, I'd take those figures with a grain of salt).

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
The WarpFactory arrived today.

I have a rack on order because when my MOTU UltraLite-mk3 arrives there won't be any room for it on my desk! I also ordered a Neutrik patchbay and some TRS patch cables so I can get everything connected in a sane fashion.

Here's a sample I made of the WarpFactory:

I'm using a saw+square wave from the microKorg for the carrier input. The vocoder output is then going into the moogerfooger phaser and then into the Ibanez DE7 digital delay. I had to use the line-in on my crappy sound card to record. I need a plosive guard. Either that or I need to learn how to properly speak into a mic. Probably the latter.

Mr. DNA fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 7, 2008

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

moron posted:

Just purchased a few minutes ago.

I've had my eye on a TI for ages, and the Snow seems like a fair compromise between price and performance. I'm loving excited to get my hands on it....

Let me know how this is working for you, after tons of frustration I just recently discovered that there is a known problem with MIDI latency running TI in ableton. Even in direct mode, the recorded midi is either ahead, or behind, depending on if you use delay compensation or not.

Kind of a big deal....

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I couldn't help myself... I bought some new pedals:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

... and some cymbals and some drums while I was at it

Obviously in need of some new heads, but it's just fine for learning the basics right now.

Schpoonfish
Oct 4, 2008

It's a fish... made out of spoons... GET IT?!!!
I'm getting this baby next week. It's gonna be awesome. Finding a lefty Les Paul made by Gibson at a reasonable price is really annoying, and I finally found one. Not my favorite color, but I care more about the tone than the looks.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I'm not looking forward to shopping for a new lefty guitar, especially because there aren't many music stores around here. If I may ask, how much did that run you?

Schpoonfish
Oct 4, 2008

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I'm not looking forward to shopping for a new lefty guitar, especially because there aren't many music stores around here. If I may ask, how much did that run you?

It was $1,429.97 on sweetwater.com

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Two turntables and a microphone, for the low low cost of free.
...ok they're not mine, they're being stored at my house for personal use while my friend finishes his degree in Tokyo (estimated time: three years).

I think I'll have finally figured out how to use them by the time he gets back :(

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Schpoonfish posted:

I'm getting this baby next week. It's gonna be awesome. Finding a lefty Les Paul made by Gibson at a reasonable price is really annoying, and I finally found one. Not my favorite color, but I care more about the tone than the looks.

Sweet. We need a lefty thread. Seems to be a lot of us around.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

I just bought that this morning:

Roland SH-2000

(Stock photo, not actually mine. I will post my photo later ITT).

It's an old synth from 1973 and later. I don't know how old exactly is mine, but it certainly is my oldest synth, and one of the first Roland ever.
I saw it in a local ad, the guy was selling it with a Hammond organ. I called and he seemed infuriated that those things took too much place. I went at his place and he sarcastically said his wife was about to throw them away and burn them. I just wanted the SH-2000 though. $20-$30 and it's yours, he said. I gave him $50.

It has a broken switch (still works) and I'm not sure if all the keys work correctly. I'm gonna have to spend some time with it, as I may need to open it and clean things. It looks really clean otherwise.

It's far from being an incredibly versatile synth as it relies on presets, but it still has some nice functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDf1vWBE1pg

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It came!!

The Rig Kontrol 3 interface is badass. Very rugged construction, nice converters, good I/O options, and an effective control interface that's midi-capable for controlling other programs, as well as USB capable for Guitar Rig 3. I've not decided if I'll supplement the purchase by buying ReValver MkIII or not. I've been able to get some phenomenal sounds just by using Guitar Rig 3 and a third-party IR convolution plugin with some quality impulses.

I am stoked to play with this some more tonight. I've used the software for a few months, but never had the control interface 'til now, and I have a feeling it's going to make a big difference.

Close To The Edge
Oct 8, 2008
The most recent thing I have attained is this fine looking Hammond Organ from the halfway transistorized era. (it's still a tonewheeler) Right now the power amplifier is out of it because some of the capacitors are whack and the plate load resistors have opened up as well.

I'll probably sell it when it's running well and try to get one that can more easily connect to a Leslie speaker.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
My MOTU UltraLite-mk3 and Rode NT1-A arrived today!

The MOTU was a bit of a pain to install. The drivers from the MOTU website don't work properly in Windows XP SP2/3. The device is detected and the I/O shows up in the DAW, but no audio is present. A quick search on the MOTU Nation forums turned up a repack of the driver that works properly. I'm not sure why the MOTU website isn't updated with the working driver.

The last items I'm waiting for are my 12U rack, a patchbay, a rackmount surge protector, and various cables. I'm an idiot and forgot to order an second mic cable, so I can't use the Rode and the SM57 at the same time yet.

In a few weeks when I have a bit more money saved I'll buy a pair of monitors. After that I should be good to go for a while. I may splurge on a Little Phatty before Christmas, but that's a big maybe.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

Schpoonfish posted:

It was $1,429.97 on sweetwater.com

Sweet hairy jesus. You paid $1500 for a studio?

My god, i am suddenly glad to be a righty.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Agreed posted:

I am stoked to play with this some more tonight. I've used the software for a few months, but never had the control interface 'til now, and I have a feeling it's going to make a big difference.

Keep us posted on how it is. I've been looking at getting a guitar-specific interface and software package when I get a new computer, and Guitar Rig 3 is the one I've been eyeing the most.

Schpoonfish
Oct 4, 2008

Zakalwe posted:

Sweet. We need a lefty thread. Seems to be a lot of us around.

Cool, I'll make one. Also, the standard was approximately $2300, so no chance getting that.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Mr. DNA posted:

Very nice, you're going to love the NT1-A. It's a great deal for the money!

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Close To The Edge posted:

The most recent thing I have attained is this fine looking Hammond Organ from the halfway transistorized era. (it's still a tonewheeler) Right now the power amplifier is out of it because some of the capacitors are whack and the plate load resistors have opened up as well.

I'll probably sell it when it's running well and try to get one that can more easily connect to a Leslie speaker.

That's sweet!
I've got a Hammond that has an integrated Leslie in its wood casing so you might want to check that out. The Leslie is activated with an on-board switch and you choose Slow/Fast. The Leslie is a vertical one, which might be weird but it sounds awesome.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

More about my Korg Polysix from a couple of pages ago.

When moving around my keyboards to make place for my new SH-2000, I heard something rattling inside the Polysix. Turns out that now it's working perfectly, memory and all. I loved it already, but now it more than makes up for the frustration and price, which is not that much after all when compared to P6s that sometimes sell on eBay for around $1000 (WTF).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Keep us posted on how it is. I've been looking at getting a guitar-specific interface and software package when I get a new computer, and Guitar Rig 3 is the one I've been eyeing the most.

I've used the software for some time, now, and have been very impressed, but it always seemed like I was missing something integral to the experience of playing without something under my feet (remember, I'm that crazy fucker with nearly 30 pedals when I'm in front of my regular amp). Last night ended up being a wash for guitar because my wife and I wanted to spend some time together, but tonight I will make a few recordings and post some clips tomorrow. I'm especially looking forward to the expression pedal's record-to-an-automation-track function. Computer recording is awesome.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Honeyburst is a difficult finish to capture on camera.

Swapped my R8 for this, which is a chambered R8. I just didn't get along with the weight of the R8 though I loved everything else about it, so I found a chambered one. The seller's camera made it look more red so I thought I was getting the same finish, but I actually prefer this one more, so I really lucked out. Next to my honeyburst Legacy:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mr. DNA posted:

The MOTU was a bit of a pain to install. The drivers from the MOTU website don't work properly in Windows XP SP2/3. The device is detected and the I/O shows up in the DAW, but no audio is present. A quick search on the MOTU Nation forums turned up a repack of the driver that works properly. I'm not sure why the MOTU website isn't updated with the working driver.

The last items I'm waiting for are my 12U rack, a patchbay, a rackmount surge protector, and various cables. I'm an idiot and forgot to order an second mic cable, so I can't use the Rode and the SM57 at the same time yet.

In a few weeks when I have a bit more money saved I'll buy a pair of monitors. After that I should be good to go for a while. I may splurge on a Little Phatty before Christmas, but that's a big maybe.

Haha we're going to have similar interface/mic setups, I've got the 828mkII and I'm getting a 57 and an NT2a.

Also did the thread on the motu forum mention the drivers for the 828mkII at all? Do you have a link? I had the same problem but havn't been bothered to fix it yet as I don't have my mics yet.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Stux posted:

Also did the thread on the motu forum mention the drivers for the 828mkII at all? Do you have a link? I had the same problem but havn't been bothered to fix it yet as I don't have my mics yet.

I downloaded a repack of the driver by a fellow named reeper on the MOTU Nation forums. The thread where he posted it is here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31833

The thread is about the UltraLite, but I believe there is a single driver for all MOTU audio interfaces. It might be worth a shot.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Carbohydrates posted:

STUFF

Stop having so many things I want.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
Will be on the receiving end of this soon.

Had a GK 700 RB-II but that died on me this week. So I ordered the 1001 from RMC on wednesday. He told me expect it monday or tuesday, but I'm hoping for possibly saturday seeing as the place its getting shipped to accepts packages then.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Carbohydrates posted:

Honeyburst is a difficult finish to capture on camera.

Swapped my R8 for this, which is a chambered R8. I just didn't get along with the weight of the R8 though I loved everything else about it, so I found a chambered one. The seller's camera made it look more red so I thought I was getting the same finish, but I actually prefer this one more, so I really lucked out. Next to my honeyburst Legacy:

every time I see your GL I am saddened that I cannot afford one right now...........

Close To The Edge
Oct 8, 2008

SteelWav posted:

That's sweet!
I've got a Hammond that has an integrated Leslie in its wood casing so you might want to check that out. The Leslie is activated with an on-board switch and you choose Slow/Fast. The Leslie is a vertical one, which might be weird but it sounds awesome.

Awesome. What model Hammond would that be? It would have to be late 70s/early 80s... I'm always glad to hear someone enjoy their not-a-B3 setup, makes me mad to hear everything that isn't a B3 knocked on all the time!

Those integrated leslie speakers could be fun because they'd take so darn long to spin down from fast to slow. I don't know how your leslie switches but the 147s and 122s used a "motor stack" which had two fixed speed motors running all the time, with a shaft that selected which one was providing the driving force to the shaft.

This Hammond doesn't have an integrated leslie, but it has a Celeste vibrato scanner that is ohhh so sweet. Can't wait to get it back up again. My only regret is that when this was made, Hammond was trying their darndest to make an organ that you couldn't Leslieify and they seem to have succeeded. (Laurens Hammond had a deep hatred towards the Leslie Speaker Company and their products, it wasn't until Laurens was gone from the Hammond company that they cooperated.)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

cylyk posted:

Stop having so many things I want.
It's not my fault you want things!

Anyway, the R8 actually came yesterday. This is what came today, the Christmas present for my buddy. Looks a lot better than the eBay pics showed and all the electronics work fine, so that's cool. The pickguard shrunk, though, and I could only get 4 screws in it. That's pretty minor so whatever.

Yes, those are flatwounds. It's the only set of strings I had that were high enough gauge to fit the ridiculous nut on this thing- definitely need to replace that. And don't you criticize me about trimming my strings, I intend to save these things. Good flatwounds aren't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just got this:

Breedlove Studio C250/EO Engelmann Spruce top, Ovangkol Back and Sides. Plays like a dream, sounds like one too. Sounds phenomenal plugged in as well.

Edit: Typo

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 10, 2008