Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

FukFallingDamage posted:

The idea is close, but I remember this game having almost a 3rd person shooter perspective. Also, does anyone remember the name of an underwater Descent-like game that I think was on the Dreamcast?

I would have said Aquanox, but that wasn't on the dreamcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FukFallingDamage posted:

It was featured as a demo in an old issue of PC Gamer and it involved floating islands going around and shooting at each other. I know nothing else.

Stratosphere, maybe?

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
I can't remember the name of a 2 player Commodore 64 game where the objective was to shoot off the opponents pants. Anyone?

FukFallingDamage
Oct 31, 2004

What's in the briefcase? Doom.
I was wrong about the Dreamcast part. Aquanox and Stratosphere they are, thank you!

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

Panic Restaurant posted:

This is definitely Jewel Master.
Hoooooooooly poo poo drat. I've been wondering for maybe 12 years. Thanks!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Alright, I've got another one, this one significantly harder. It's a PC mid to late 90s RTS, Sci-Fi, Humans vs Aliens, I think. The aliens were brown and the leader was kind of tentacled with a big face in the middle.

This could just be a distorted memory of Starcraft from when I was about 5, but I don't think so. I don't remember it very well.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Arcsech posted:

Alright, I've got another one, this one significantly harder. It's a PC mid to late 90s RTS, Sci-Fi, Humans vs Aliens, I think. The aliens were brown and the leader was kind of tentacled with a big face in the middle.

This could just be a distorted memory of Starcraft from when I was about 5, but I don't think so. I don't remember it very well.

The only thing that rings a bell is Dark Colony. Screen shots are kind of hard to distinguish whether it matches your description or not.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
There was this Windows FPS game that featured both person-to-person gunfights as the ability to mount Mechs. Strangely enough I think I can remember the name of the first level/mission in the game - "Silence before the storm". That's all I can tell about it, really.

ValueWolf
Dec 15, 2004

Zerstorung posted:

Here's are a few that have been bugging me for some time:

1) An old Action Platformer for the PC from the late 80s or early 90s, I think it was shareware or had a shareware version. The game was level-based, and I believe it played similarly to the Commander Keen series, but with a distinct focus on zombie/monster enemies.

Monster Bash, one of the Apogee classics.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A multiplayer-only shareware game for Macintosh, from the 90s, because I played it in high school. You piloted a polygonal 'mech that was kind of ostrich-shaped, and you could choose different weights iirc, but you only had two guns and had to watch your heat.

I remember that the player's game camera was an actual invisible object in-game, and if you pushed it into an object and jumped just right, you could jump onto it and ride your own player camera way up into the air to snipe people while they said "WTF?!"

It was outrageously fun and played really really smoothly online, considering I was on a 33.6 or 56k modem at the time.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I rented a game for the SNES many years ago, all I recall was (I think it was the second level) a level we're you're climbing a building and there's cockroaches as enemies.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I once played a text-based game online that was a copy of an old Apple II game, where you were a trader sailing around South Asia. You could buy and sell things like opium and cloth and I think you also had to buy stuff to run your ship (food for crew, etc).

I remember the name being vaguely Chinese--something like Taipei or Shanghai.

jonypawks
Dec 1, 2003

"Why didn't you tell me you were the real Snake?" -- Ken

Evil Vin posted:

I rented a game for the SNES many years ago, all I recall was (I think it was the second level) a level we're you're climbing a building and there's cockroaches as enemies.

Brandish? Skip to about 2/3 of the way through the video for some gameplay.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!

Grawl posted:

There was this Windows FPS game that featured both person-to-person gunfights as the ability to mount Mechs. Strangely enough I think I can remember the name of the first level/mission in the game - "Silence before the storm". That's all I can tell about it, really.
This is Shogo.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
This one goes back ages. It for for the Apple II GS. It was an adventure/RPG game. There may have been puzzles but I can't recall. I seem to remember it being isometric. I seem to recall the title screen was a castle and then a wizard with a beard and after awhile his face turned into a skull.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Skyelan posted:

I've got one that just popped into my head and is driving me nuts. It's hard to believe I didn't imagine it up, especially since I don't recall ever even beating the first mission. This could mean the game sucked eggs, but I'm being driven by pure desire to know.

But way back when, I rented a game that was either for the PS1 or N64, and it was a strategy game I believe. Could have been real time or turn based, but it did have that overhead isometric view that we all know and love.

All I can really remember is that you summoned elemental golems to fight on your side. The thing is, I seem to recall these being mapped to the C-buttons on the N64 controller, but I've looked over the N64 release list and nothing is sparking a memory. That's all I can remember. :v:

This sounds a lot like a game that came out for the gamecube at or around launch, called Lost Kingdoms.

Zhenty
Jan 24, 2006

Gyre posted:

I once played a text-based game online that was a copy of an old Apple II game, where you were a trader sailing around South Asia. You could buy and sell things like opium and cloth and I think you also had to buy stuff to run your ship (food for crew, etc).

I remember the name being vaguely Chinese--something like Taipei or Shanghai.

Close, Taipan is its name. Remember playing this in the computer lab at school

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

OG17 posted:

This is Shogo.

Thanks. I was thinking of 'Shogun' and 'Mobile Warrior'. At least I had some part right.

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight
I'll take a shot at asking about one...

There was an old PC game (in the like 286/386 era) that was about the Knights of the Round Table and all the legends in that era (Merlin, Excalibur, etc)... the game came with a big map with coat-of-arms banners along the outside that served as the copy protection.

You recruited people from that era and you could then pick areas on the map to go to where it would be a kind of 2-D King's Quest looking side view with all of your people. And usually you would get your rear end kicked by something there.

Also I think you could find Merlin but he was frozen in ice or something.

It was really hard, but pretty fun, I'd like to at least see if I can find the title to read/remember more about it.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

dmkmills posted:

I'll take a shot at asking about one...

There was an old PC game (in the like 286/386 era) that was about the Knights of the Round Table and all the legends in that era (Merlin, Excalibur, etc)... the game came with a big map with coat-of-arms banners along the outside that served as the copy protection.

You recruited people from that era and you could then pick areas on the map to go to where it would be a kind of 2-D King's Quest looking side view with all of your people. And usually you would get your rear end kicked by something there.

Also I think you could find Merlin but he was frozen in ice or something.

It was really hard, but pretty fun, I'd like to at least see if I can find the title to read/remember more about it.

The only thing I can think of that sort of fits, is the Sierra Inc. game Conquest of Camelot: The Search for The Grail. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/conquests-of-camelot-the-search-for-the-grail

The only problem is, I don't remember much of it, apart from leaving the castle without praying in the chapel made you die, because the castle gate would fall on you as you left, so I'm not really sure it's the one you're after.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

coyo7e posted:

A multiplayer-only shareware game for Macintosh, from the 90s, because I played it in high school. You piloted a polygonal 'mech that was kind of ostrich-shaped, and you could choose different weights iirc, but you only had two guns and had to watch your heat.

I remember that the player's game camera was an actual invisible object in-game, and if you pushed it into an object and jumped just right, you could jump onto it and ride your own player camera way up into the air to snipe people while they said "WTF?!"

It was outrageously fun and played really really smoothly online, considering I was on a 33.6 or 56k modem at the time.

Was it Avara?

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

jonypawks posted:

Brandish? Skip to about 2/3 of the way through the video for some gameplay.

Nah I think it was a platformer. I want to say Bugs Bunny was in it, but this I'm not sure of (and most likely confusing it with another game).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

exmus posted:

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm pretty sure this one was Take No Prisoners.
http://pc.ign.com/objects/003/003393.html

I know this is from a few pages ago, but THANK YOU that's exactly the game I was thinking of.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I had an old mac game (early 90's) that was a side-scrolling shooter. You were a weird shaped space ship flying on some loving trippy alien planet. I only remember seeing tentacles and eyes and bright colors and such. I've been trying to remember it for years.

Also, anyone that was really young at the time ever figure out how to play sim earth? I played it all the time but never loving figured anything out, I just made ice and jungles everywhere.

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight

Keru posted:

The only thing I can think of that sort of fits, is the Sierra Inc. game Conquest of Camelot: The Search for The Grail. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/conquests-of-camelot-the-search-for-the-grail

The only problem is, I don't remember much of it, apart from leaving the castle without praying in the chapel made you die, because the castle gate would fall on you as you left, so I'm not really sure it's the one you're after.
I was reading that and thinking, hmm... I don't remember it being so Sierra-adventure-gamey...

But... I noticed a link on that page for "Arthur/Camelot Games" and went there... well, the oldest one on there, Spirit of Excalibur is *indeed* the game I was thinking of!!!!

So thank you very much, you were very helpful!

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Here's one from when I still used AOL to download games. :smith:

It was an old IF/text-adventure sort of game. You were a babysitter taking care of a kid who got into lots of situations, like getting stuck in the toilet, pitching pennies with a hobo, things like that. There was also a sequel where you went to an amusement park and tried to revive the place by making offerings to carnival spirits at a merry-go-round...? Anyone know?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IHatePugs posted:

Also, anyone that was really young at the time ever figure out how to play sim earth? I played it all the time but never loving figured anything out, I just made ice and jungles everywhere.
Yes, I was extremely good at SimEarth when UI was a little kid, much better than I was at any of the city games. I remember really preferring birdmen, because they looked cool, and that the terraforming plants were a pain in the rear end. I was a total badass at SimAnt too, although once you realized how to get into the enemy nest through a shortcut, the game became pretty boring pretty fast. The fun of simant was just running aruond as an ant and collectnig food and fuckign with spiders and stuff, though. :D

I'd buy a sequel to either of those.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
yo. I'm trying to remember the name of this game which had an Egyptian theme. It was a FPS - I'm pretty sure there was some shooting involved, but the only weapon I remember is some sort of staff with a crystal in it. The levels consisted of various temples, maybe some pyramids, mostly at night with flaming torches for light. The other feature I remember is switches like push blocks with bloody hand prints on them.

It's pretty old, so it might have been the BUILD engine. I think I was playing it around the same time as Blood. It reminds me of Stargate in hindsight, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't connected to the movie in any way.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Gasmask posted:

yo. I'm trying to remember the name of this game which had an Egyptian theme. It was a FPS - I'm pretty sure there was some shooting involved, but the only weapon I remember is some sort of staff with a crystal in it. The levels consisted of various temples, maybe some pyramids, mostly at night with flaming torches for light. The other feature I remember is switches like push blocks with bloody hand prints on them.

It's pretty old, so it might have been the BUILD engine. I think I was playing it around the same time as Blood. It reminds me of Stargate in hindsight, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't connected to the movie in any way.

Sounds a lot like PowerSlave to me.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Nice. It was Exhumed here in Europe. Thank you.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
There was an old sega genesis game that me and my brother used to play on Sega channel it was a top down shooter and there were lots of different characters you played as such as an army dude and one was a ninja. I cannot remember any more for the life of me though.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

The Chaos Engine?

Cronican
Jun 2, 2006
The one and only
Ps1 game I played about 5-10 years ago, I don't remember much about it at all. Starred two scantily clad female leads, I think they were thieves or ninjas or agents or something. It was an overly cinematic game that looked fairly cartoony.

I only really remember one scene. The two leads are on an elevator, and for some reason they were afraid the security guard watching via a security camera would recognize them, so they started making out to avoid detection? I remember it making sense at the time, or I didn't care because I was 15.

The game took EVERY opportunity to show the leads in as little clothing as possible. It was hilarious.

I remember the game having like 4 cd's and you had to switch between them constantly. Like, go down a corridor, insert disk 2, next room, disk 4. It was really frustrating.

I know this is REALLY vague, and I can't even remember what the gameplay was like. Makes me realize just how sick my mind was back then.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Cronican posted:

Ps1 game I played about 5-10 years ago, I don't remember much about it at all. Starred two scantily clad female leads, I think they were thieves or ninjas or agents or something. It was an overly cinematic game that looked fairly cartoony.

I only really remember one scene. The two leads are on an elevator, and for some reason they were afraid the security guard watching via a security camera would recognize them, so they started making out to avoid detection? I remember it making sense at the time, or I didn't care because I was 15.

The game took EVERY opportunity to show the leads in as little clothing as possible. It was hilarious.

I remember the game having like 4 cd's and you had to switch between them constantly. Like, go down a corridor, insert disk 2, next room, disk 4. It was really frustrating.

I know this is REALLY vague, and I can't even remember what the gameplay was like. Makes me realize just how sick my mind was back then.

Sounds like Fear Effect 2.

Jarrik
Oct 22, 2005

The devil inside
The devil inside
Every single one of us
the devil inside
This is probably way too vague, but I had a old(played it on my dad's Aptiva back in 1997 or 1998) PC space strategy game and have forgotten the title. Basically, you ran a government in every aspect, including a pretty cool ship building/space combat engine which was in 3d. This was definitely the best part of the game. Resource management and research/development was key. I would always lose, which resulted in a cutscene in which assassins attacked my palace and killed me (pretty much the only distinct thing that I recall). If anyone has some titles that sound like this I'd appreciate it.

Cronican
Jun 2, 2006
The one and only

pud posted:

Sounds like Fear Effect 2.

YES! Thank you!

The scene I remembered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kH7EnwwR1E

Torrim
Jun 24, 2007
I am on INTERNET.
I've had one that I haven't been able to figure out for a while.

It was on a PC Gamer disc back in the day and used the Quake FPS engine, or something at least very similar. you shot guys and they were military I think. You started at(at least in the demo) a power-station during a storm in the rain and one of the only things I remember was the sound of a window, barely open and off of its hinges, gently blowing against the side of the building. It was quite atmospheric, but apparently not enough for me to remember the goddamn game or much else.

Torrim fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 8, 2008

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
There's a game from my childhood that I played at a friend's house. It was a caveman themed sidescrolling platform game on an acorn or some such old floppy disk based computer.

I remember some form of a boxing match boss where the enemy was huge in comparison to the player.

Pretty sure there was some pixelated nudity on the cave girls too - awesome.

(No, I don't mean Lost Vikings)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Aneurexorcyst posted:

There's a game from my childhood that I played at a friend's house. It was a caveman themed sidescrolling platform game on an acorn or some such old floppy disk based computer.

I remember some form of a boxing match boss where the enemy was huge in comparison to the player.

Pretty sure there was some pixelated nudity on the cave girls too - awesome.

(No, I don't mean Lost Vikings)

Could you possibly be talking about Prehistorik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This one has been bugging me forever.
There was a strategy game-modern/futuristic, isometric graphics, came out probably just around the time Empire Earth did (not sure?) i remember it somehow being tied to Total Annihilation, but it is not TA. It is also not C&C/Red Alert/Tib. Wars-better graphics than all of those, basically someone made TA2-type of game, I think it came out right around the time that strategy games started going fully 3d....

I know this is a crock of an explanation, but 'tis the best i can offer at the moment. It was futuristic right away so it's not EE (obviously)