Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pardot posted:

Just saw a post for History Hacker on lifehacker today. It looks promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5DWyVrvlY

Premiers tonight at 8 (I'm assuming EDT?)

This show looks like a case of "interesting concept, lovely host".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't know what you're talking about, Smash Lab's second season was way better than the first one. I really enjoy it now. It may be better than Mythbusters (although that's mainly because I fast-forward half of Mythbusters nowadays).

You have to watch the one where they are trying to get a log truck to not rollover. One solution was a downmounted fan, like the opposite of a hovercraft, which amazingly worked on pavement, and then triumphantly failed on the actual dirt road. Good TV, even if they fail.

Plus, what other show seriously almost kills their hosts repeatedly? Just this season, they have: risen too fast while diving underwater, set off an acetylene explosion in a capsized boat they were in, had an out of control remote-controlled car come straight at them (twice), been working under a full log truck when the load shifted. I'm sure I'm missing a few too. It's brilliant.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

smackfu posted:

:words:

The problem is Smash Lab belongs on Spike TV with Manswers and whatever the gently caress else. It's Mythbusters with all the science stripped out and the entire show dumbed down.

I'm not trying to be some elitist fuckjob about it (Destroyed in Seconds is awesome TV and it's basically Youtube clips of poo poo blowing up edited together), but if I want to watch Mythbusters, I'll watch Mythbusters. I shouldn't turn on Discovery looking for Mythbusters and get 4 morons nearly killing themselves and smashing poo poo together for the sake of smashing poo poo together.

It doesn't even make sense from a ratings standpoint because Discovery's already hitting pretty much the upper limit of the possible viewers they can attract and a large number of those people, sad to say, are huge loving nerds. Why would you want a carbon copy of Mythbusters with the content that such a large part of your fanbase enjoys stripped out?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I like Shockwave, History's version of Destroyed In Seconds, Its youtube with in depth explanations and such of what happened and what went wrong.

uuugghhhhhhhh jr
Nov 19, 2005

ugh
Quick note, I just saw a preview for "Destroyed in Seconds" and saw clear shots of THE KILLDOZER, an old GBS favorite.

It's on thursday at 9 if anyone's interested.

uuugghhhhhhhh jr fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 6, 2008

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

New episodes of Dirty Jobs started this week - I forgot to post yesterday to mention it. Last night's episode was pretty good.

Also, I think there's a new episode of Mythbusters tonight. I'm not sure why there's a new episode this week, because there isn't one in my guide for next week.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I usually love every Dirty Jobs, and Mike Rowe as a host but the season premiere was so awful. I don't know, I think it was all of the forced innuendos, I don't remember Mike making a sexual joke every five seconds like he did on that episode.

I hope next week is better.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

-Atom- posted:

I usually love every Dirty Jobs, and Mike Rowe as a host but the season premiere was so awful. I don't know, I think it was all of the forced innuendos, I don't remember Mike making a sexual joke every five seconds like he did on that episode.

I hope next week is better.

They were really laying it on thick early on in the episode. Then after every commercial break they did that "Dirty 30" thing where Mike narrated (more innuendo) over old footage (although I have to admit I did laugh during the segment on hoes).

There is a new episode of Mythbusters on tonight, I double checked - they'll be testing "Blind Driving".

Edit: I just saw a commercial for "Time Warp" next Wednesday at 8 and 8:30. There was at least one "preview" episode earlier this year - the premise of the show is they use high speed cameras to film various things. If you like the high speed footage on Mythbusters, you should like Time Warp.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 9, 2008

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'll have to check out that Time Warp show. I never saw the preview ep. Weird that's it's a 30 minute show on Discovery.

I wonder if they're going to make a full season of that escape artist show One Way Out too?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

LordOfThePants posted:

They were really laying it on thick early on in the episode. Then after every commercial break they did that "Dirty 30" thing where Mike narrated (more innuendo) over old footage (although I have to admit I did laugh during the segment on hoes).

There is a new episode of Mythbusters on tonight, I double checked - they'll be testing "Blind Driving".

Edit: I just saw a commercial for "Time Warp" next Wednesday at 8 and 8:30. There was at least one "preview" episode earlier this year - the premise of the show is they use high speed cameras to film various things. If you like the high speed footage on Mythbusters, you should like Time Warp.

I saw the preview episode a while back. It was somewhat interesting, and watching stuff on a high-speed camera is always fun. The hosts weren't excellent but they were likable enough. An entire hour of it is probably too much, but it can't be worse than an hour of Smash Lab.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Man, Mythbusters are really running out of ideas.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Wiseblood posted:

Man, Mythbusters are really running out of ideas.

I kinda liked Driving While Blind.

However, I now demand that Mythbusters does an episode where they get Jamie drunk and just follow him around with a camera saying nothing until he full on loses his poo poo.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I love drunk Jamie. I wonder if the bottle of Makers Mark was new because it looks like he drank a lot of it for only blowing a 0.088.

They really do seem like they're running out of ideas, but then again there's always Viewer Specials and Viral Videos to test.

Speaking of One Way Out, I wondered the same thing. The escape artist from that show was on a Shark Week special, so he's still in the Discovery Channel Rolodex apparently. It had potential, so I'd like to see them develop a whole series out of it. It can't be worse than Smash Lab.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Anyone else watching or seen Alone on the Science Channel? So far it's very intriguing.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

There's a new episode of Mythbusters on tonight - although I'm a little unsure as to if it's really new or not. It's "Ninja Myths 2" according to my Tivo guide, but I swear they already did that episode. My Tivo didn't schedule it to record either, but it's not flagged as a repeat. The commercials on Discovery have been calling it a new episode, so who knows.

There's also two episodes of that high-speed camera show on at 8 and 8:30. We've got a B&W highspeed camera at work and it's AWESOME, so I'm definitely tuning in for this.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
According to the previews last week, this one is new.

It's one of those "myths revisited because the people on our forums wouldn't shut the hell up about it" episodes I think.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
It's new tonight they've actually never devoted an entire episode to ninjas. Ninja Myths 1 was part of one of the viewer specials I believe. There's also a new series that premieres after MythBusters tonight called Prototype This! that looks like a much better version of Smash Lab with more of what makes MythBusters fun.

Edit: There was a previous Ninja episode but it didn't have Ninja in the title it was called Walk on Water. They did the bullet slapping in a viewer special though.

the-jam fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 15, 2008

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Didn't they already do catching an arrow in midair? Underwater blowgun? :rolleyes:

I don't really know what else they could do at this point though. They should just all get drunk and build ridiculous battlebots again.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I don't know if anybody is watching it but Time Warp is pretty loving awesome.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006

-Atom- posted:

I don't know if anybody is watching it but Time Warp is pretty loving awesome.

This show, coupled with Destroyed In Seconds, and Smash Lab, makes me think that the people at discovery sat down and said: Let's take the three things that people seem to gravitate to MythBusters for, crazy inventions, slow-mo replays, and things getting destroyed, and make a show based on each one!

Edit: The will it blend blender in slow motion? Greatest loving thing ever!

Karthillion fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 16, 2008

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
Wow Prototype This! is like a Smash Lab that doesn't suck. It's applying real cutting edge technology in ways that are actually functional and useful and testing them out on quickly rigged set-ups. Oh and no attempts at being smug about what they're doing even though it's more useful than the poo poo on Smash Lab.

There's so many different things they're doing for the one build it's quite fascinating and it hasn't even gotten to the smashing yet.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Time Warp seems kinda boring to me. Most of the stuff looks exactly the way you expect it to look. If you slow down video of guy juggling it just looks like a guy juggling slowly.

Free Market Gravy posted:

It doesn't even make sense from a ratings standpoint because Discovery's already hitting pretty much the upper limit of the possible viewers they can attract and a large number of those people, sad to say, are huge loving nerds. Why would you want a carbon copy of Mythbusters with the content that such a large part of your fanbase enjoys stripped out?

They do it with pretty much every show - Dirty Jobs had Hazard Pay, Survivorman had Man vs. Wild, Deadliest Catch had that lobster show, How It's Made had that show I don't remember the name of - and the copy is always terrible. I guess they think, "Well if one show makes us a lot of money, two shows will make us twice the money! :haw:" They always just copy the basic elements of the show but never replicate what really makes the shows popular, which is often the personalities.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I like time warp, they really don't show enough though, I could watch the blender chop strawberries at the slowest speed for hours, instead I only get 10 seconds.

And there is way too much footage of stuff not being slown down, the hosts are entertaining enough, I just don't care.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 16, 2008

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Trophy Boner posted:

They do it with pretty much every show - Dirty Jobs had Hazard Pay, Survivorman had Man vs. Wild, Deadliest Catch had that lobster show, How It's Made had that show I don't remember the name of - and the copy is always terrible. I guess they think, "Well if one show makes us a lot of money, two shows will make us twice the money! :haw:" They always just copy the basic elements of the show but never replicate what really makes the shows popular, which is often the personalities.

Hey, I *liked* Hazard Pay. There's really no reason why they couldn't have just offloaded those jobs to Mike Rowe, though.

I didn't catch much of Time Warp since I was on the phone, but it looked like one of the hosts is the escape artist from No Way Out? Was that him?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trophy Boner posted:

Man vs. Wild is good though.

I like Les Stroud ok, but he does bitch a lot about having to lug the gear around, and on the other hand you have Bear drinking his own piss then jumping into a swamp holes and ice and poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Survivorman is a guy actually surviving alone in the wilderness; Man vs. Wild is Jackass in a forest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

the-jam posted:

Wow Prototype This! is like a Smash Lab that doesn't suck.
Hmm, maybe I should watch the rest of it. I watched the intro and my first impression was "this is a pretty boring scenario for your first episode".

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

smackfu posted:

Hmm, maybe I should watch the rest of it. I watched the intro and my first impression was "this is a pretty boring scenario for your first episode".
The scenario wasn't really that important it was more how they solved each little piece of it and how they used all these different technologies together. The final product was really cool. There was very little emphasis on the practical applications of what they were doing even though many were obvious (both unlike Smash Lab).

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Piell posted:

Survivorman is a guy actually surviving alone in the wilderness; Man vs. Wild is Jackass in a forest.

Seriously, I don't know how anyone could prefer Man v. Wild over survivor man. I just hope we eventually get new episodes of it. I'm tired of seeing the Survivor man shoot flames from the hot air balloon he was flying over africa.

At least now I know what to do if I ever get in a hot air balloon crash over the desert.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

burmart posted:

Seriously, I don't know how anyone could prefer Man v. Wild over survivor man. I just hope we eventually get new episodes of it. I'm tired of seeing the Survivor man shoot flames from the hot air balloon he was flying over africa.

At least now I know what to do if I ever get in a hot air balloon crash over the desert.
New episodes of Survivorman start November 7th.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Anyone know what was up with the ninja guy on Mythbusters? He seemed like a big spaz. Is he respected in any way?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

burmart posted:

Les is all alone and more power to him for it. But gently caress if he isn't boring as poo poo.

Bear may not be truly surviving the wild, but he at least makes it fun.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Teek posted:

Anyone know what was up with the ninja guy on Mythbusters? He seemed like a big spaz. Is he respected in any way?

No one claiming to be a ninja with a straight face is worthy of respect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I liked how he actually called himself the "Arrow Catcher". Why, was the "complete tool" already taken and he didn't want to double up?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That Prototype This show actually spent a segment trying to explain what threads are. Usually they don't spend any time on the coding part of things, so that was kind of neat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I liked how he actually called himself the "Arrow Catcher". Why, was the "complete tool" already taken and he didn't want to double up?

Well as long as Adam/Tory is on Mythbusters I would think so.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Every time they would show the 'ninja' standing in a doorway slapping it like a pathetic pansy I let out an actual, "Oh, for gently caress's sake!" What the hell was that supposed to do? Or the way he would spas out for a couple seconds before they fired the arrows at him?

And that one time he tried to give the doorway a little kick after he was done limp-wristedly flailing at it and it totally didn't work because he had all of 1 foot of space? Yeah, that was sad.

And I notice they never showed us what the mighty ninja's full punching force was, only Jamie's. And his "one inch punch" was more "one inch push you away".

I didn't like him if you hadn't figured that out by now.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

And I notice they never showed us what the mighty ninja's full punching force was, only Jamie's. And his "one inch punch" was more "one inch push you away".

Well, he did hit those three boards hanging from the rope and only broke the back one. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I thought that was pretty cool.

uuugghhhhhhhh jr
Nov 19, 2005

ugh

Teek posted:

He was "arguably the best arrow-catcher in the world." I think he held the record for Most Number of Arrows Caught in a minute or something.

And yeah, I was annoyed by him as well. NINJA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
They had a ninja on that Sports Fight Science show punching their test dummy and the guy was able to put some weird torque on the ribcage that made the punch way more effective than you'd think.

• Locked thread